10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1012446_10151571192392409_253823121_n.jpg
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

I have played MM but probably 10-15 games 6-7 years ago. I understand it had a fun theme, art and cool toy. Also it's a game even non pinheads can appreciate much like my PotC with its signature sinking ship is well liked by my non pinball friends.

I did not pay it at a time that I could appreciate the rules or the strategy involved. More or less I played it to bat the ball around and maybe destroy the castle a few times.

I now have the MMR on order. I am not having second thoughts, but wanted to see why people think MM is one of the better pins.

Particularly does it stack up to the better modern pins in the rules department?

Stern has not moved too far past MM in the hardware department, maybe the color changing LEDs but overall seems like Stern pins hardware is not much advanced from 1997 era. But I wonder if the rules have advanced much in that time, I mean people say LOTR or acdc or tspp have some of the better or deeper rules in pinball and WoZ maybe in time. I am not at the point or have not played those games to the extent that I understand the depth or the complexity involved in making those rules superior. But just wanted to see if people could give me an idea of where MM ranks on its rules? Is it totally complete, does it have both good rules for easy accessibility as well as deeper play so that it can be enjoyed by both novice and expert players? Does it have lastibilty and nuance playing style such as stacking?

How would it compare in rules to other games in the top 20 pinside ranking? I mean I know some games are ranked highly because of artwork or theme or cool toys but I believe the best games have the whole package, I mean humor with good call outs, good sound and art, good rules and toys and good shots and not too impossible but not too easy.

Can you guys say overall does MM lack in any area? Is it well liked just because it's a great theme and toys etc.. Or does it rise above other well regarded titles such ad TAF or TZ or what ever game of the late B/W era? I mean some game has to be no.1 doesn't mean it is the best by everyone, just that it's well though of by many and maybe if people don't think it's no.1 maybe many think it's top5 or top10. i wanted to see if most people think it still has the goods even tho it's 17 years old.

I read some people don't care for it because its an older game and they'd rather play the newer games, but I am not sure if that's because they have played MM a lot and and are over it or if they feel its older and in some area not as good as the more modern games.

#2 10 years ago

Its NOT !

#3 10 years ago

Great fan layout. Best ever is up for debate. It is a solid title. You must like simple straight forward rules. Not very deep but the theme and exploding castle along with pop up trolls just makes it fun for me.

That said I always state I love my AFM and it sees more play.

#4 10 years ago

Not one of the best pins?

I didn't ask if it's the best pin but asked of it's one of the best pins?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

You must like simple straight forward rules. Not very deep.

So, it sounds as if the rules are rather basic? I mean do the rules resemble PotC as far as simple and straightforward some might say chopping wood?

#6 10 years ago

Honestly, I love the rules in MM. It is straight forward and easy to understand. The rules are very much like AFM, but it seems to have a bit more depth and would be a tougher game to beat. I guess you can pigeon hole me as a fan of Lyman's rules. I really like MM, AFM, MB and SM.

I am not a fan of games that are hard to understand. I'll take a game with a nice layout and understandable rules over "depth" every time.

#7 10 years ago

They are not really basic as much as easy to understand what is needed.
draw bridge hits open bridge portcullis hits raise gate to allow castle destruction.
The number of hits grows with the castle number all the way through king of paine.
Catupult scores bonus once all objects collected it lights in front of merlin mode start hole.
Same is true for orbits and each ramp.
Light merlin with 3 standing targets on right.
Light trolls with 2 standing targets on either side of castle gate.
If something is lit at merlin then it gives you a multiball the more that is lit the more multiball it gives you. (stacking)
Light fire in outlanes to get video mode. (this too increases each time you make it in the same game)

Is this what you were looking for?

#8 10 years ago

It's fun to play, great flow, it's beautiful, funny & I like it!

#9 10 years ago

Like a few that mentioned above, rules are simple, straight forward and the rewards happen oftenly than few. If you didn't no how to play pinball, you could just bash the castle over and over which ultimately ends with one of the best entertaining mechanical toys ever built to be destroyed before your eyes. By far my lady and daughter say it's their favorite pin from my entire line up and it's the only game I did not put LED's in, go figure. As for pinball experts, I think they appreciate the code, callouts, layout, artwork, humor and moving parts. It's an easier game as most would say, but complete and still very satisfying to play.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

You must like simple straight forward rules. Not very deep

MM has a high entertaining element, which is part of the success. The deep part of the rules may only matter if you're a very good player. As a mediocre player I've never managed so far to get Barnyard Multiball, or defeat the King. So to me it wouldn't matter if the game has 10 more levels of deeper rules, the chances I'll ever see them are slim. What matters more to me is that the game is fun to play even for an average player like me. I think it does a great job at that. Easy to understand, difficult to master (again, for a player like me). I think that's part of why the game stands out, even today.

#11 10 years ago

One of the biggest reasons I like MM is because the scoring is balanced. It's a great competitive game.

#12 10 years ago

I prefer LOTR over MM. I'm happy that I do because I would rather not spend as much as people have been asking for them. I do however believe the art and toys in MM are in the top 10 and better then my favorite game LOTR.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I prefer LOTR over MM. I'm happy that I do because I would rather not spend as much as people have been asking for them.

If you've played AFM or LOTR, you have already played MM.

A lot of the people that bought MMr, who have never played a MM, are in for some $8K disappointment.

Especially, since everybody thinks that it's the "best pin ever!"

I own one, it's NOT!!!!

#14 10 years ago

I can tell you why its #1 on pinside rankings. The game is strong in every category even if its not somebody's favorite. Great art, theme, sounds, toys, flow you name it. If someone on here rates it without bias it should probably be #1 in rankings just because it's so well rounded. LOTR is IMHO the best playing game ever but MM beats it in several other categories if even just by a little.

#15 10 years ago

It's just so much fun for every kind of player of every kind of skillset. Is it the best at one particular thing? Probably not. But it is pretty darn good at multiple things. Hence, many people love it, many people really like it, very few do not like it, and honestly I haven't met anyone who thinks it sucks. Plus its pretty rare. Would pins like Addams Family or Twilight Zone be as highly regarded if there were only 4K of them instead of 15K+? Would MM be less highly regarded if there were a bunch more? Who knows.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

A lot of the people that bought MMr, who have never played a MM, are in for some $8K disappointment.
I own one, it's NOT!!!!

I have played AFM and MM many times, I do not consider them the same as LOTR. I prefer LOTR on its own merit.

#17 10 years ago

AFM, MM, LOTR are all great pins. All are worth owning at some point in time if possible. There is no disappointment in owning any or all of these.

#18 10 years ago

MM's popularity and rating is a mix of emotional investment and acknowledgement by pinball players that it is a great game.

In relation to more casual players or even beginners, it probably isnt even in the top 50 or even 100.

#19 10 years ago

I bought heavy on MM in 97. Bought 5 from the dist. and 2 more from ops later on. That was a time when I had lots of locations and a storefront to sell used equipment. MM was a game that sold itself in the store very easily. It sold new in the 3695 range. We would operate a 2-3 years and sell for 4500 to home. Wish all titles were this way.

I had a movie theatre that had a wcs in it doing maybe 30-40 per week. The location wasn't a pinball spot as the gun games and driver did exceptionally well. Heck even the 6 slot sticker machine made as much as a driver at that location! We figured on trying a MM in the spot. Right away it did great and continued to do so. The employees were addicted. Funny thing is the location NEVER called on a game being broke. We just would drop in weekly and clear coin jams etc. But when MM was installed and a troll switch was bad the employees were on the phone right away upset! The MM did 140+ per week for a long time!
MM is a game that played a couple times by non pinball people will pull them in for more. In addition its pretty reliable and easy to maintain.
Im speaking from years past as I don't operate much anymore so I don't know what a MM would earn in todays locations but I imagine if set up at $1 per play in the right spot it would do well.

#20 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies, I am buying on reputation in part, plus the fact that a new Stern LE or JJP will cost as much. I always wanted to have one, have older B/W A-list games like TZ, IJ, CFTBL, STTNG, TOATN etc.. Was always disapointed in the wear and tear on the games by the time I got them after they were used hard for 15 years, never thought I'd be seeing nib remakes.

I would be interested in most A-list remakes like AFM, MB, TZ, even TAF. Wile I know you can find these games for sale, I prefer new or almost new games as fas as condition goes and I will pay a premium if they are ever remade.

#21 10 years ago

I like the arrow sound.

#22 10 years ago

I like it because of the call outs and the game play. I like fan style layouts (MM, MB, T2). I hate playfield targets in the middle so close to the filppers (Fishtales). I like comedy in my pins. I would say its the best but I enjoy MB and TAF more.

#23 10 years ago

Universal appeal.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I imagine if set up at $1 per play in the right spot it would do well.

Good point to bring up. An operator asked me about MMr and whether he should buy the game. I think the simple reasoning that if MMr will play as good as the original it is likely to make money on location easily sold a few games. MM has been a good earner for them and if it comes down to choosing between a beat up game one or a new one for the same price (plus taking in account the time they can operate it) made it a no brainer.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I own one, it's NOT!!!!

I see this kind of statement all the time and it makes no sense. You have not played MM if you've played AFM or LOTR. The layouts may be similar but the games are different.

You might as well say that FH, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Tron, Jurassic Park are all the same and if you've played one, you've played them all. There's only so much you can do with a 2 flipper layout or a 3 flipper layout and everything is a variation on the first one.

Every game has fans and others who don't think its that great. All you can do is figure out what type of game appeals to you and seek those out.

#26 10 years ago

I disagree, it is 'one of the best pins every built', as voted for on the very forum. It may not be for you or maybe me, but;

This is born out by it being rated around the globe by folks from all different walks of life along with voting for many other pins, but MM being rated in the top 2 and at present #1!

That said any of the top 5 or even 10 pins can be classified as 'one of the best pins every built'.

So it IS 'one of the best pins every built'.

#27 10 years ago

I think that the interactive castle is a huge draw to the game and combined with having to destroy castles it makes the game addicting. There's a lot of toys in pinball but I can only think of a few that interact with the ball in several different ways like MM.

#28 10 years ago

Sometimes it not all about rules, MM and the like (AFM, MB to name a few) its about fun fun fun.

MM is great at this, its pythonesque humour, the fast fan layout, the theme and art, what's not to like?

Would I have one as an only machine? I highly doubt it, but as part of a collection (and money not being an issue) sure, would love one.

#29 10 years ago

I ruleset does not have to be deep for a game to be enjoyable. I love Champion Pub and in my opinion, the rules are very shallow. The one thing that I love about MM is the theme and the humor. I can not say if it is one of the best games out there, but I can say that I wouldn't mind owning one some day and adding it to the lineup of games that I already own which may or may not be the best games out there.

#30 10 years ago

It gets old after awhile.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Doesn't every game?

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Doesn't every game?

Very true. I have to step away from my games for a while. Then when I go back to them they seem all new again. Except for Stargate. I could play that machine 24/7.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Kind of like its fans... I was about half the age I am now when I first played MM and fell in love. If I want to own one what the heck, I may as well throw down for a remake

#34 10 years ago

Very fun/funny theme and audio/visual package but gameplay snoozer, IMO. Shoot ramps over and over again, try not to hit merlin hole before you have all four ramp/orbit madnesses lit, then cash it and hope for troll madness reward and shoot castle repeatedly during multiball. Rinse/repeat...

#35 10 years ago

Quick, someone tell PPS they picked the wrong title to re-make.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Quick, someone tell PPS they picked the wrong title to re-make.

If we hurry they may change their minds and tool-up for popeye... We can but hope

#37 10 years ago

I think it's a combination of things which makes it so hard to nail it down. The medieval type of theme does well as a starter. It's got three really cool toys: castle, trolls, and catapult, which is more than 95% of other games IMHO. But the real winner might be the humorous adaptation. We all need more humor in our lives and I find that when I play it I'm more relaxed than other games. So, in that regard, it's non-serious, thus non-threatening, and it has a high "one more time" quality about it.

#38 10 years ago

I don't know about best, I'm not a huge fan of wpc95's as they all suffer from being much more shallow all in all than the previous wpc's. As others mentioned, its fast, fun, funny, looks great, it's a fun machine, no doubt, but I don't think it would crack the top ten for me personally. I don't have it. I have AFM and enjoy that more, and have MB, and enjoy that less than MM, but I don't think any of them are true top tens.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from abaxas:

In relation to more casual players or even beginners, it probably isnt even in the top 50 or even 100.

Casual players don't have a top anything. They're casual about playing. But I don't agree even with the spirit of what you're trying to say. In my experience, non pinheads really love MM. The art is cool, the audio is great, the theme is generic and universal enough that you don't have to be a fan of (some specific thing) to "get it". It's got a great interactive toy that even novice players can make do things.

I've had pins for the entirety of my children's lives. Neither one of them has really gotten very 'into' pinball, but after the first time the my 8 year old daughter played MM at a friends house she declared that it was a great game and we should get one of those (this is when they still cost $15k+).

And I've heard similar tales from several other people that put MM into a 'gateway game' kind of role.

So the short version of what I'm saying is, IF casual players actually had a ranked list - IMHO MM would be all over the top of it. Based on my experience.

#40 10 years ago

I'm on the MMRLE list. I have to admit, that IF I do go through with it, it'll basically be a pin for my kids and wife.

I've played it a few times over the last few months and it's ok. I personally like AFM much better. I think it is a lot like chopping wood. Get the ball to the right flipper and bash the castle over and over. At least that's the safest play on the one I've played to eliminate SDTM drains. I don't worry about flow typically, but MM is a tough one in that dept. The trolls piss me off. My kids love when they appear though.

I totally get why people like it. I've been playing the hell out of MM on the Farsight app to convince myself it's a great game.

#41 10 years ago

Our experiences vary. I've always found that the non pinheads (good term, thanks!) prefer games they can understand without being told what to do. Things which are easy access is probably a better way of looking at it.

A rather weird example was when I was a university. A twilight zone sat next to a phantom of the opera. Two machines at the opposite end of the complexity spectrum. The pinball players played both, the rest played phantom.

#42 10 years ago

" They stole our Pinball Machines"
"They took our wives!"
"I am howard hurts who da beep are you."
"I´m Howard Hurtz, and I´m gonna put the hurt on you!"
"I will boil you in oil, and wrap your feet in cabbage!"

EPIC Classic!

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from abaxas:

A rather weird example was when I was a university. A Twilight Zone sat next to a Phantom of the Opera. Two machines at the opposite end of the complexity spectrum. The pinball players played both, the rest played phantom.

Phantom has a big thing in the upper right that opens up after you hit it a few times. TZ is a dense mass that you can bang the ball around in for an extended period of time and not really get any obvious physical feedback like that.

The "large obvious moving thing" is a great hook for non pinheads. Ringmaster, AFM Saucer, Castle in MM, etc. If you've got a big obvious target, and smashing it with the ball a few times does something, the casual player is much more engaged. Even more so if it interacts with the ball well.

Wait, what's this thread about? Oh yeah, MM is the coolest because: reasons.

#44 10 years ago

It's a great pinball machine, but I have 25 that I like better.

#45 10 years ago

Maybe not #1 but, certainly top 5. I feel TZ and STTNG are better personally. I'd say third place maybe with LOTR in a deadlock for the 3rd spot and with MB fighting TOTAN for the fifth spot. I do have a pre-order in for MMR and it’s definitely one I have wanted for a while. The price is a little steep for comfort but, at least with the MMR you’re getting a brand new pin, so the extra bucks are giving you something in that fact.

Why is it a top five pin? Theme-flow-toys-humor-art-rules-callouts It does very well in every category though it may not be the best in anyone specifically. Since it does not miss in any category (where most games do somewhere), it just plays with a certain harmony that makes it a great pin.

#46 10 years ago

To me, AFM, MM, and Monster Bash are all like siblings. At a glance they are all the same game, but they do all have differences. Of the three, I think I would call Bash the shallowest and probably the hardest, but I personally don't find any of the three to be all that 'deep' or 'complex'. What they are is a true measure of skill in terms of making or NOT making shots.

Ignoring the obligatory 'lock 3 balls for MB' - All three depend on making very simple repeated shots to start things, and doing so across the entire playfield. Then each game has a reason or method for when to activate/cash in you work: MB has multiball that stops mode timers, AFM has a 1 billion point hurry up for completing the shots properly, MM has Multiball Madness for completed shots. These all require shots be built up and executed in one fell swoop which is very difficult, but it's not at all complicated. To me it would be akin to calling Metallica deep because ultimately you want Coffin MB, then stack another MB, Fuel, 4x scoring, Seek and Destroy... is it hard to do? yes. Is it 'deep'? Not really - I just described it in one sentence. AFM, MM, and MB extend the depth a bit by having wizard modes to achieve but the overall scoring strategy remains relatively unchainged until the mode is in reach.

I can appreciate these games for what they are, but they are not at all my favorites. I find they do blend together over time in terms of play, callouts, strategy, etc. and they don't quite do it for me. Of the three, I would say AFM is my fav, but MM has the best humor. Monster Bash is borderline disliked by myself due to theme - I hate all the horror themes by default with the exception of maybe BSD.

I'm really hoping Metallica doesn't follow suit with these three games in terms of play style - the layout is eerily similar, but the existing software (specifically Seek and Destroy) seems to indicate a departure from this in some ways.

#47 10 years ago

Why? Mostly hype and the high cost of the game make people want it. Most people are very easily influenced by hype.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from jsauce85:

I can tell you why its #1 on pinside rankings. The game is strong in every category even if its not somebody's favorite. Great art, theme, sounds, toys, flow you name it. If someone on here rates it without bias it should probably be #1 in rankings just because it's so well rounded. LOTR is IMHO the best playing game ever but MM beats it in several other categories if even just by a little.

You had me until you said LOTR was the best PLAYING game ever. LOTR is one of the top 10 clunkiest DMDs out there in terms of PLAYING. Deep rules, decent flow, great theme, great sound, but clunky. Very clunky.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

To me, AFM, MM, and Monster Bash are all like siblings. At a glance they are all the same game, but they do all have differences. Of the three, I think I would call Bash the shallowest and probably the hardest, but I personally don't find any of the three to be all that 'deep' or 'complex'. What they are is a true measure of skill in terms of making or NOT making shots.
Ignoring the obligatory 'lock 3 balls for MB' - All three depend on making very simple repeated shots to start things, and doing so across the entire playfield. Then each game has a reason or method for when to activate/cash in you work: MB has multiball that stops mode timers, AFM has a 1 billion point hurry up for completing the shots properly, MM has Multiball Madness for completed shots. These all require shots be built up and executed in one fell swoop which is very difficult, but it's not at all complicated. To me it would be akin to calling Metallica deep because ultimately you want Coffin MB, then stack another MB, Fuel, 4x scoring, Seek and Destroy... is it hard to do? yes. Is it 'deep'? Not really - I just described it in one sentence. AFM, MM, and MB extend the depth a bit by having wizard modes to achieve but the overall scoring strategy remains relatively unchainged until the mode is in reach.
I can appreciate these games for what they are, but they are not at all my favorites. I find they do blend together over time in terms of play, callouts, strategy, etc. and they don't quite do it for me. Of the three, I would say AFM is my fav, but MM has the best humor. Monster Bash is borderline disliked by myself due to theme - I hate all the horror themes by default with the exception of maybe BSD.
I'm really hoping Metallica doesn't follow suit with these three games in terms of play style - the layout is eerily similar, but the existing software (specifically Seek and Destroy) seems to indicate a departure from this in some ways.

For me, MB is far and away the easiest of the 3. MM being the toughest by far. Lighting all the blue inserts is no easy task. Rule the Universe is way easier to get to than Battle for the Kingdom. But YMMV.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

For me, MB is far and away the easiest of the 3. MM being the toughest by far. Lighting all the blue inserts is no easy task. Rule the Universe is way easier to get to than Battle for the Kingdom. But YMMV.

Truthfully I haven't played enough MM to really be sure. My struggle with MB (or any game for that matter) is time limits. When completing MB modes I tend to get into panic mode and flail pretty good. With AFM and MM there's less of that and I tend to play better progression-wise. I would say MM wizard mode requires more work, I just find i can take my time and progress easier without a time limit failure requiring replay of modes. If you keep the ball in play on AFM and MM I feel like I'll EVENTUALLY get there. On MB I can fail over and over at say, bride, and never get to the end. Fortunately the mini wizard mode is quite lucrative on MB so I don't normally need to get to the end.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 218.00
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-mm-one-of-the-best-pins-ever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.