(Topic ID: 179327)

Why is Metallica hammer lock disabled in tourny play?

By Bond_Gadget_007

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I noticed tournament videos using Metallica Prem but the hammer locking mechanism was disabled, I assume in favor of a virtual lock option.

-Does this mean in a home setting Metallica Prem gets confused with hammer locks if you play with a few friends?

-Same question for Avatar LE powerball. Its always removed in tournys. Does that mean you can't play with friends at home or game gets confused and messes up double scoring?

#2 7 years ago

It doesn't get confused but it can change the feeding for specific MB's.

The main reason why it is disabled in tournament play is because that mech can be problematic sometimes with registering hits. I'm sure TD's would rather disable it vs having to argue "that's pinball" with a bunch of people complaining that they didn't get a lock because it didn't register or catch the ball.

#3 7 years ago

Ok I think I get why the hammer might cause dispute since it has a faulty reputation. Eventhough it does eventually catch the ball. Less drama for whiners

What about Avatar powerball removal?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Ok I think I get why the hammer might cause dispute since it has a faulty reputation. Eventhough it does eventually catch the ball. Less drama for whiners
What about Avatar powerball removal?

If you have lock lit and the hammer doesn't catch it to lock the ball, until it finally does so, all additional hits to the captive ball don't count towards your next lock. It can be a big road block to Coffin Multiball.

Avatar it is because the powerball is random and it doubles scoring. Tournament play likes to remove the randomness of awards so the games are decided more on skill and less on luck.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

If you have lock lit and the hammer doesn't catch it to lock the ball, until it finally does so, all additional hits to the captive ball don't count towards your next lock. It can be a big road block to Coffin Multiball.

I believe this was changed in a code update...the hits to the hammer do continue to count even if you have not locked a ball. I've had all 3 locks lit and locked them all one right after the other. It is still different locking balls, sometimes it grabs them with a slow roller and sometimes it takes a real slam or a hit to a target or the snake before it grabs.
Another reason that some TD might disable hammer in tourney is because if 1 player has a ball locked in the coffin, then the 2nd player locks a ball it will kick out of the mystery scoop instead of the shooter lane, so it can be confusing to players who aren't ready for the kickout from the scoop. Alot of times the kickout from the scoop is harder to control than a ball served in from the shooter lane.

Phoebe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flagstaff, AZ
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-metallica-hammer-lock-disabled-in-tourny-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.