(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1634 Observations & insight on JJP/Mirco playfield pooling issue Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1649 Uncut playfield photos Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1660 Thin clear coat issues Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thermionic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#692 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's crazy because if they offered an at-cost playfield for like $500, I think most people would be satisfied (not happy, satisfied). This buyback is the worst possible route because most people WANT to keep the machine. They don't want to give it back, but JJP isn't giving the REASONABLE option.

Devil’s advocate mode:

I think from JJPs perspective, buying back the games IS the most reasonable option.

It is not impossible that there may be some form of a “write-off” or other means by which JJP can mitigate some of the financial losses this will incur, and that by offering full refunds they will satisfy any legal obligations to the buyer and absolve themselves of being compelled to go to the trouble and expense of undertaking a long, drawn-out effort to customize the “solutions” to each individual buyer. Let bygones be bygones, chalk it up as a big fiasco and try to learn something, and press onward to the next title.

It sucks if you are the owner of one of the defective ones and prefer to keep your game and make it “right”, but that’s an emotional thing and outside the scope of the legal and corporate concerns that dictate the reality of the situation.

Frankly, I think it’s a small miracle that the refund option even exists in the first place. Given JJPs apparently marginal customer service of late I figured the “best” solution that could have been hoped for would have been a replacement unpopulated playfield, so if I were a disgruntled owner I’d literally jump at the opportunity to walk away from the mess financially unscathed!

Some folks’ inability to think about this stuff with their heads rather than their hearts is truly to their detriment!

1 month later
#1392 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Per Barry.... No playfields will be sent out at this time.

Quoted from Lermods:

Not only that, but warranty doesn’t cover the playfield anymore. Not good.

Jesus, this is getting comically ridiculous at this point, absolutely unacceptable.

I think it is time for you guys to quit waiting and hoping for JJP to take care of you (they have done nothing but stonewall and renege on promises as far as I can see) and activate your “nuclear options” of chargebacks and/or lawsuits at this point.

#1395 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thanks Dave.Mike’s on it he’s getting the replacement washers theyre using on the new machines .I’m not going to let this get me down on the pin beacause it’s going nowhere ,we love playing it such a rush .I’m cooled down now lmao It’ll work out .

I admire your positive attitude, but that would be absolutely unacceptable to me. It won’t fix the damage, and cannot be counted upon to prevent it worsening over time; it seems obvious reading this thread that the manufacturing process itself was flawed in some way, and a shadetree-engineered band-aid solution is just not acceptable for such an expensive item.

If they aren’t going to replace playfields, then you should demand a new game (as they promised at one time). If they won’t replace the game, then demand a substantial refund of your purchase price (at least 30%, I’d think).

You deserve a lot more than a $5 baggie of washers (that you must install yourself)!

2 months later
#2122 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Thanks for the Wishes but as far as my Communications to date was professional. but met with resistance and no quick replies and had to have my Distro Help every time.
The last one not as much and doubt i will get a response either as i waited weeks before playing my game as it was self destructing from just playing it before they would answer the simple question of if to put on the washers they told me they would send me.
hen didnt send them and didnt reply to me.
month later i am Told They forgot to send the washers and buy them myself.
which my distro did but then didnt answer my email if that is propper. then they said no ,they do not want the washers added yet the playfield kept getting worse . now i put washers on and damage is past it.
Then it took several emails to be put on list to get a Playfield for cost. now others get playfield for the cost of shipping..
This is bs and will read up on / warranty rights
Laws give you more rights
If you discover that something you bought is defective, contact the retailer and manufacturer to ask for a repair, replacement, or refund.
Along with companies’ express warranties, you also have “implied warranties” under state law. The Uniform Commercial Code, a set of laws adopted in much the same form by all states and the District of Columbia, provides an automatic “implied warranty of merchantability.” That unwritten protection guarantees that consumer products are free of substantial defects and will function properly for a reasonable period of time. What’s “reasonable” depends on the type of product and the amount you paid. States typically limit implied warranties to four years. They apply to products you buy from retailers that normally sell such items.
But here’s where it gets complicated: Most states allow companies to negate, or “disclaim,” the implied warranty by conspicuously disclosing that a product is being sold “as is” or “with all faults,” or by simply stating there’s no implied warranty. And manufacturer warranties typically do just that. “In my opinion, every warranty you see is taking away rights you would otherwise have,” says Richard Alderman, director of the University of Houston’s consumer law center.
Eleven states (Connecticut, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Vermont, Washington, and West Virginia) and the District of Columbia prohibit consumer products from being sold “as is.” In some of those states, stores can still sell items without implied warranties if they follow strict requirements, such as telling the customer exactly what’s wrong with the product or by selling the item as a factory second.
States take these laws seriously. Last year, Maine reached a settlement with a new-car dealer that it accused of disclaiming implied warranties by telling consumers that only the manufacturer, not the dealership, was responsible for serious vehicle defects. The implied warranty also applies to most used goods sold by merchants, including used cars in some states.
And last, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits companies from disclaiming implied warranties during any period that its written warranty or any service contract is in effect.
What you should do. If you discover that something you bought is defective—even after the written warranty has expired—contact the retailer and manufacturer to ask for a repair, replacement, or refund. It doesn’t matter what the retailer’s return policy is or that the manufacturer put a notice on the box telling you not to return the item to the store.
Don’t expect a salesperson or customer service representative to know about these extra rights. To get satisfaction, you might have to go up the corporate ladder or post your complaint online, say, on the company’s Facebook page. If that fails, try complaining to the Better Business Bureau and to your state attorney general or consumer protection office. Send a demand letter threatening to take the company to small-claims court. If it’s an expensive product, contact a consumer attorney. (You can find one at naca.net.) .

I wonder if the credit card companies could offer any remedy? Most of the good cards provide extended warranties in addition to the other benefits, and it occurred to me that this might be worth looking into. (Of course this doesn't help anyone who paid via bank transfer, cash, check, etc.) I successfully used my CC extended warranty a few years ago to fix a faulty telescope mount (not cheap!), so I know from experience this can be done, I am just unsure how it would apply in this situation.

I also wonder if anyone has attempted a chargeback? I am not certain if this situation would qualify, but if I were stuck with a $10k+ toy with a defect that the manufacturer was unwilling to properly fix (a blank playfield + tens of hours of MY labor is not acceptable), I'd probably look in this direction. I'm sure it is an unpopular option as the vast majority seem willing to forgive the obfuscation and gaslighting and cheerfully walk through any and all fires that JJP sets for them, but as a detached observer I have to wonder when someone is going to finally say "enough is enough" and wash their hands of the ordeal. It's definitely the "nuclear option", and if people start doing it en masse it would likely cause major headaches for not only JJP, but also the distros, but at some point things MUST change for the better in terms of customer relations, and maybe we have reached the point where it is going to require a few "a-bombs" be lobbed in order to trigger a change of course!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 38.00
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thermionic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields?tu=thermionic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.