(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1634 Observations & insight on JJP/Mirco playfield pooling issue Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1649 Uncut playfield photos Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1660 Thin clear coat issues Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm really tired of this one but after playfield issues plaguing Pirates, then early's Wonka's, and now early GNR's (and at least 1 recent April 2021 build) I can't help but to ask why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields? Why is JJP not holding the playfield manufacturer accountable for these issues if it's on them or not allowing playfields enough time to cure? Why after 3 games with this issue has JJP not changed playfield manufactures? This issue is negatively impacting otherwise great games and I don't understand why JJP has tolerated it. I'm sure JJP has said things internally and to the playfield manufacturer about this issue but they are still tolerating it by not permanently fixing the issue (washers don't count either).

JJP offered some of the best quality playfields in pinball with Hobbit. Something had to have changed between Dialed In and Pirates. Some early Dialed In's had chipping but that seemed related to no protection from the factory at scoops for early builds, no pooling occurred. Since Pirates though JJP has been selling games that almost at random or in batches have pooling and or chipping around posts. For $8k - $12k+ buyers should not have to play the playfield quality lottery. To make matters worse JJP is no longer sending replacement playfields for affected games. Just recently I've seen reports of two $12,500 GNR CE's with December builds having chipping / pooling. The resolution from JJP was to send washers...

Finally, if this problem cannot be resolved due to digital print technology issues and or clear coat materials why doesn't JJP at least remove artwork around sling posts like Stern did to solve the issue? JJP actually did just that with many areas on WOZ and Hobbit. Do something at least! Shipping games with washers is a band aid and only proves that the issue still exists.

One last thing, I have have a GNR LE on order that should be shipped next month. I'm hoping I win the playfield lottery and have a great game. However, as I mentioned above at least one owner with an April build (with washers installed at the factory) had pooling / chipping in at least one playfield area towards the back of the game...

58csa4 (resized).jpg58csa4 (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

The real question is why do people continue to buy games if they know the quality is subpar. The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome

Good point. I'm waiting at least 6 months before buying any new JJP game as all now appear to have early playfield issues. I was thinking of doing the same thing with Stern but they have solved the issue by removing artwork around all posts.

However, it's now been 6+ months since GNR was announced and there's at least 1 report of pooling / chipping at a rear game post in an April 2021 build (when JJP is now shipping games with washers). It truly looks awful and I would be beyond pissed if it happened on my game considering these insane prices.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Still not sure why this bothers people. It's literally a 30 minute job to lay flat and protect and you never notice it ever again.

Its a manufacturer defect with artwork literally lifting off the playfield. For $8k - $12k + buyers shouldn't have to be applying "fixes" that often look bad. Large washers all over the place look terrible.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

"... why doesn't JJP at least remove artwork around sling posts like Stern did to solve the issue?"
I guess I don't understand what that solves unless pooling is okay as long as there's no artwork under it?

I can't 100% confirm this but I think there's been zero reports of pooling / chipping at any post in Stern pins where the artwork has been removed. Stern had the same issue with early Jurassic Park's, they then removed artwork around all posts for later runs and the issue was solved. Stern has since removed artwork around posts on all of their games going forward.

Many here have speculated that the cause of pooling / chipping issue is the new digital playfield artwork print process and that the pressure from posts can result in it occurring. Stern got around this by removing artwork surrounding all posts, no ugly washer band aids needed.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

The advantage of this new thread over the other one (Continued playfield issues with JJP and Stern By f3honda4me (1 year ago)) is that this one only has 30 posts. I just can't bring myself to read the 1041 new posts in that other thread - but I was keeping up for a while.
I do believe, that we have come to expect super high gloss, mirror-like surfaces on our new games and this drives manufacturers to exceed the recommended layer thicknesses of the paint suppliers rather than apply multiple layers (which would be expensive). It also means these surfaces show every imperfection.

Yesh, sadly as far as "continued" playfield issues go it's now just JJP. Stern thankfully actually did something other then washers to correct the issue. Removing artwork around all sling posts fixed the issue for Stern. Why JJP doesn't do the same thing is beyond annoying.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Stern still has issues, guide rails digging into playfields, pulling clear and artwork up. Stern did, however, change their process I think with Elvira. Noticeably thinner clear coat.

Good point about guide rails digging into playfields on Stern games, have seen that.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Loved: the bullshit legend of "JJP quality,"

I still think there are a number of items where JJP exceeds Stern's quality standards but this playfield issue is destroying that reputation. It's probably the worst quality issue a pinball machine can have, 2nd I would say is a cracked cabinet, 3rd is decal issues. JJP cannot honestly market themselves as making the highest quality pinball machines with this issue popping up in their last 3 titles and then what seems like almost randomly throughout runs.

This issue should have been corrected with Pirates and then been done with. The fact that it still hasn't been fixed after Wonka and now GNR is embarrassing. The washer "fix" is basically a message to customers of "We know there's an issue and don't care".

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Now you’re getting the picture. JJP games, especially GNR have insane prices for not much more than lots of LEDs, with music. No mechs and I know you like mechs, really who doesn’t? So why punish yourself and spend all this money on the playfield lottery? Buy it, if you got it for $1k less and flip it straight away, while still in the box. Let the next guy take the chance since JJP no longer takes care of us the customer. Boycot this behavior or it will be the new norm at JJP. People keep trying to pass the buck from JJP to Mirco, but Mirco only does what JJP instructs them to do, just like any subcontractor. This is squarely JJPs issue, not Mircro’s. Besides, there is not much to this game after you’ve played it 100 times. It gets quite old quickly anyway, with the same songs over and over again, just like any music pin does for that matter. First few times through even with no mechs, the game is fun because of all the lights and sound, but save yourself some money, as there will soon be a glut of GNRs on the market, when TS hits. Be a wise consumer and jump ship now! Prices on GNR are too high for this kind of poor customer product and service from JJP.

I agree with your comments about the playfields, it's on JJP for not holding Mirco accountable and then continuing to use them.

With that being said why is GNR now ranked #2 on Pinside if the game has nothing in it? Why did GNR win the TWIPY 2020 GOTY along with a ton of other awards if it has nothing in it? This thread isn't about the game being good or bad but rather playfield quality. There's dozens of people who poured thousands of hours into making this game and it's a shame to see such a great pin have its reputation hurt by playfield issues of all things.

By the way you really don't count an entire upper playfield with multiple shots as a mech? You don't count a 6 ball physical lock as a mech? You don't count the spinning record disk as a mech? You don't count any of these items as feature / toys? Yet Led Zeppelin is loaded because Stern made it? lol.

- Bass guitar ramp return w/ passive diverters
- Guitar lock w/ passive diverters
- Drumstick ramp return
- Crashing cymbal pop bumpers
- AXL sculpt
- Slash hat light assembly
- Record spinner
- Catwalk ramp returns
- Speaker stack diverter cover
- Hotrails!
- Fully articulated spotlights
- LED-lit Guitar Pick Spinners
- Hex Stage Lights
- Concert Jumbotron LCD

Added over 3 years ago:

Updating

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Virtual Pinball Expo 2020
Day 3 - Part 1
Mirco clearcoat "Durability to a different level (including destruction testing)" Clip time frame= 10:02 - 22:08

Wow, for them to say that after all of the early GNR playfield issues...

Mirco live playfield testing.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Added over 3 years ago:

Updating

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Loooool, like all companies equally including JJP. Purchase their games and have fun, so don’t know why you say that??? Only don’t like being overcharged for subpar products and it doesn’t matter who the company is, so I’m in your camp. Think LZ is way overpriced and also under spec’d with almost no interesting mechs, other than one spinner in the middle if you pony up thousands more for at most a $35 part. Get half the songs of GNR. So my displeasure with subpar offerings goes both ways.
But come on, that list you have given is a stretch. No mechs listed there at all. At least LZ does have one ball interactive mech. Lol Just look at your list again...it is no WOZ, POTC or Dialed In in the mech department that’s for sure. Not even close. List out those items costs and what exactly are we paying for??? Your list can’t actually cost JJP more than a few hundred dollars. Yes, LZ is just as lacking, even more so without all the inexpensive LEDs GNR offers. That list is all fluff and no substance for us players that really like ball interactive mechs. Thought that was what pinball was all about, not just lights, plastic and some songs?

I really don't want to get into a debate about mechs and features. It would just be nice if JJP could consistently put a quality playfield in their products like they did with Hobbit. They actually removed the artwork around all posts on that pin, maybe that's why it holds up so well. WOZ the same thing. JJP should at least remove artwork around sling posts if they are going to continue using Mirco.

From Hobbit.

20210508_100038 (resized).jpg20210508_100038 (resized).jpg

Added over 3 years ago:

Updating

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Could never figure that out myself?? I have (2) prototype POTC playfields and at That time they had all the artwork correctly removed from around all posts and not a Single issue with these. Yet somewhere along the line at production they opted to put the artwork around the posts back in???
[quoted image]

Wow no way! So much customer frustration could have been avoided had JJP just stuck with that original choice.

One would think JJP would surely have made the no artwork switch with Wonka after Pirates but nope! Surely surely JJP would have made the no artwork switch after Pirates and Wonka but nope...Unbelievable.

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So I have a playfield with chipping. My distro went above and beyond for me. Spending his own money to make me whole. Jason at classic games rooms came through for me big time. Not all distro are the same and I highly recommend Jason for anyone looking for a new pin. Thanks Grindle3 for your help!

That is amazing to hear! Glad everything worked out. If you don't mind me asking what is your games build date?

#111 2 years ago

Seeing multiple "Ignored User Posts" appearing for me and I can only guess who it is lol, not viewing the comments.

For the most recent GNR builds we are seeing very very few reports of pooling / chipping. However, there was at least one pooling report from a game with an April 2021 build date.

Mirco claims to be creating more durable playfields based on the comments in the video below (thanks Pinzzz for sharing!). Things seem to have improved on the most recent GNR builds but consistency for a quality playfield still seems to be an issue with pooling reports popping up randomly with newer build games.

Added over 3 years ago:

Updating

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree with your DI perspective. My other criticism (and why I decided to sell) is all the points were in the SIM card. Really lopsided scoring. I also found the audio really monotone.
I cancelled my GNR order because the shots are bleh. Played and SE locally and was really disappointed. Flippers also sucked, but I imagine they could be dialed in. Video assets were cool and game still looks sharp, but not an exciting shooter.

In general, I agree, but JP2 is a masterpiece (and the dinosaur mech on the Premium/LE is very innovative). Sure, Stern likes to save on the BOM, but Keith has showed us inspiration can still go a long way. Some of the designers are simply burnt out and just going through the motions I'm afraid.

I still say Dialed In is one of the best pinball machines ever made. The game is insanely loaded with mechs, probably 2-3x as many that Stern puts in their typical game, more then GNR and Wonka, and nearly all interact with the ball. Trap door, moving target, moving mechanic, 5 magnets, cell phone LCD toy, 3 mini drones, a real kick back, the Quantum Theater. Just damn, love it and its an incredible shooter with great custom assets to boot. Collecting SIM cards is one of my favorite mode features as gives you a reason to not only beat a mode but to collect something after that then impacts the rest of the game as well as leads to additional modes being unlocked. Overall Dialed In feels like Pat Lawlor took elements of some of his best games and made it into one.

Sorry for the rant there lol. I understand people not liking the game, or GNR for that matter. Thankfully we have a ton of title choices now and actually have enough new games to complain about haha. There's never been a better time for pinball!

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I love my DI but it was kinda crappy out of the factory and the Sim card shit is pure shit.
Total design failure. A lot like my capt Marvel ramp

Lol. Try changing the upper flipper power to 14, that changed how often I can hit the SIM card shot in a big way. Still challenging but not the impossible feeling as it felt like at default settings (can still make side ramp shot without issue).

#136 2 years ago

Yet another $12,500 GNR CE being reported as having playfield issues...How much longer will JJP continue to ship games with known defective playfields?

It's sad to see customers using irons, hair dryers, and 3/4" clear washers to "correct" these issues. Customers buying an $8k - $12.5k pinball machine of all things shouldn't have to deal with playfield issues.

JJP is supposed to be a company driven by passion over profit but that passion, the loaded games, great code, etc doesn't mean anything if these issues keep occurring.

5acb5eea7e2046ba8d0a2188e45d0ad3e8fec1d8 (resized).jpg5acb5eea7e2046ba8d0a2188e45d0ad3e8fec1d8 (resized).jpg
7154a8e17c429703aed8cf5f9b7f469140401f67 (resized).jpg7154a8e17c429703aed8cf5f9b7f469140401f67 (resized).jpg

#141 2 years ago

Another CE with issues, posted on JJP Facebook fan group. Have also read multiple reports on here of customers with 4/21 build dates having pooling / chipping. Factory washers appear to be installed but issue remains.

I'm just about ready to cancel my LE order ($9500 price point too) and buy a Mandalorian premium instead.

CE from JJP facebook group

Screenshot_20210520-120243_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210520-120243_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210520-120258_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210520-120258_Chrome (resized).jpg

This one is from an LE, posted here, with a 4/21 build date.

e32bf8c9f483998b5833c6c940cacd0209e91256 (1) (resized).jpge32bf8c9f483998b5833c6c940cacd0209e91256 (1) (resized).jpg

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I'm in the same boat, LE scheduled. Are the newer LEs doing any better? Mando Pre is looking appealing to me as well.

That I don't know but seeing this issue on 4/21 build date games is making me nervous as that's just a month from today. I've seen or read nothing about JJP having resolved this issue. Combine that with these issues not be covered under warranty (just washers being sent...) and yeah I'm not feeling like it's worth the risk to buy.

#161 2 years ago

Lol from Kaneda

188356536_2842638179331534_4315082499056249304_n (resized).jpg188356536_2842638179331534_4315082499056249304_n (resized).jpg

#193 2 years ago

It's bizarre from a business perspective to let your companies extremely well designed, and well coded game sink because of playfield issues of all things. To have this issue still exist after it occurred first in Pirates and then Wonka is EMBARRASSING.

JJP...lol

fq53faeb8tv11 (1) (resized).jpgfq53faeb8tv11 (1) (resized).jpg

#235 2 years ago

I'm asking my distrubtor to delay my LE order over these issues, if it's not resolved later I'll just cancel and buy another Stern game.

This issue is unacceptable, Jersey Jack Pinball continuing to use Mirco after now messing up playfields for 3 releases is unacceptable, and sending customers washers after spending this amount of money is unacceptable. The cost of these games represent a decent chunk of year income for a majority of buyers and the last thing people want to deal with after spending nearly $10k on a pin is playfield issues of all things.

In the meantime I just had the best unboxing experience ever with a new Stern TMNT Premium. Game looks perfect as is the playfield. Fun game with no issues (so far, knock on wood). This is how it should be. I don't care how loaded and fun JJP games are, none of that matters if playfield issues exist.

20210522_150229 (resized).jpg20210522_150229 (resized).jpg

Added over 3 years ago:

Updating

#289 2 years ago

playfield (resized).jpgplayfield (resized).jpg

#296 2 years ago

I delayed my LE order this morning with my distrubtor and expressed any concerns. These games cost too much money for these types of issues to be occurring. I've bought all but one JJP release, love their games, but enough is enough.

JJP and or Mirco need to resolve this issue asap. Customers want GNR's but GNR's made with quality playfields.

Added over 3 years ago:

Updating

#321 2 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I am not giving him too much credit. I just think he is possibly getting the word out to more people which has to be a good thing. And I am not talking about his podcast. I am talking about his FB post. Even people who like video games and TV’s will get some pinball suggestions. Have any idea how many people like video games?

I appreciate Kaneda bringing more awareness about this issue. Staying quiet and hoping JJP does something (other then washer kits...) isn't going to accomplish anything. This issue appears to be widespread affecting dozens of games, not every game, but many. I think there's also a lot of owners that have seen this issue, yet won't say anything (can't blame them), out of fear if they did it will negatively impact their games resale value.

This issue affects the most major / fundamental component of a pinball machine, the playfield. This issue should have resolved after Pirates and it's now embarrassing to see it still occurring.

#375 2 years ago

Over the last couple of evenings I spent some time installing a Pinwoofer kit and art blades on my new TMNT Premium. It was nice not having to worry about playfield issues and just enjoy the game I bought. This is how this hobby should be when paying these crazy asking prices.

The last thing we should have to deal with as customers is playfield issues. In my opinion the playfield, and cabinet are 2 fundamental components of a pinball machine that should be a given to be done right. If there's a mech / hardware issue here or there ok, stuff happens. However, the playfield and cabinet should be the last thing a customer ever has to worry about.

#501 2 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

If ya don’t know.............ya don’t know. [quoted image]

The Diamond Plate playfield process now seems like making Valyrian steel swords from Game of Thrones, a process long forgotten and no longer possible to be recreated lol.

A few weeks back I thought I read that the Diamond Plate clear coat is still being made. If someone had the financial resources now seems like a good time to bring the process back.

#572 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm going to say something that may piss people off...
But JJP games arent really that "fun."
I've owned three games and have only kept the one that I think is really good: Hobbit. At one point I was going to make it by mission to collect them all.
I bought dialed in. Loved it. It was a spectacle of technology. But it lost its charm after a while. The game wasn't all that fun. Never did I really love the crap out of the gameplay. Bought woz because I thought the toys were cool. But jesus, the shots suck and it is a slog. No satisfying shots. Gnr has no shots that are fun and sorta reminds me of woz in how it is a beautiful specitcal, but the game isn't great.
I guess what I'm saying is, I thought jjp was going to be the second coming of williams, but now I wouldnt care if they sorta just went away. Like, just go and fucking die already with all your playfield issues combined with lousy customer service and games that aren't all that fun.

Will disagree but hey these are just our opinions. I think JJP games across the board are all very fun and offer a layer of complexity, depth, and detail that games from other companies often lack. To me JJP is Bally Williams 2.0 but this playfield issue is slowly destroying any chance of that continuing.

The last thing I want to see is JJP go away. It's beyond disappointing to see 0 communication from JJP on this issue and the way affected GNR customers have been treated with washer kits. JJP needed to say something yesterday about this issue. I continue to enjoy my JJP games but won't buy another as long as these types of playfield quality issues exist.

The only way I think JJP can resolve this issue at this point is by finding a new playfield manufacturer (or make bring the process in house) and then offer every customer with chipped playfields a free new updated playfield.

#636 2 years ago

I only want to buy a GNR LE if and when JJP starts shipping games without washers installed all over the place. That's the indicator that this issue has finally been resolved. Washers installed all over are not only ugly but also represent admittance that games are being shipped with faulty playfields.

#797 2 years ago

There's been a few posts about the history of JJP playfield issues. Below is a summary of what I remember occurring over the years. I'm sure this isn't 100% correct as this is just off my memory since WOZ started shipping in 2013. What I learned after reading my comments below...make playfields to the exact spec / process from Hobbit lol.

WOZ

Original run: Some of the early original WOZ ECLE's and SE's with Bader made playfields had severe chipping in the State Fair, pops, and in front of the drop target areas. Part of this issue was due to those areas being high traffic and not having mylar installed from the factory. JJP later sent out mylar kits to customers, customers with chipped areas were offered decals. Again not all WOZ ECLE Bader made playfields were affected. JJP switched to Mirco at some point in either late 2013 or early 2014.

Hobbit

The first JJP game where 100% of the playfields were made by Mirco. From what I've read there's been 0 reports of playfield quality issues with Hobbit playfields. Personally I think the Hobbit playfields are the best playfields JJP has offered (and any manufacturer for that matter) in their games.

Dialed In

Some early Dialed In's had chipping at the SIM card and cell phone scoop. JJP attempted to correct the issue with factory made / installed metal edge protectors. The factory metal edge protectors didn't seem to work well and JJP later switched to installing official Cliffy protectors from the factory at the SIM and cell phone scoops.

Pirates

A majority of Pirates playfield seem affected by pooling / chipping, Pirates also seems to be the first JJP game where pooling is observed. JJP initially didn't install washers under sling posts on early Pirate builds, these games were most affected by pooling / chipping at the sling posts. Sometime in early 2019 JJP started to install plastic washers under sling posts. However, some owners with later build Pirates still reported pooling / chipping at other areas on the playfield.

Wonka

Pooling and chipping with early build Wonka's seemed widespread. Later build games seem to have had the issue corrected but reports of pooling / chipping continued, just not as widespread as with early build Wonkas.

GNR

Similar to Wonka, affecting early build games. Early GNR's didn't appear to be shipped with washers installed under posts, this changed starting sometime in early - mid 2021 with washers being installed under sling posts. Even with factory washers installed at posts some owners have reported pooling / chipping.

Added over 3 years ago:

Updating

#834 2 years ago

Owner reports from the latest run games are so far so good, will see what happens after 100+ plays. Still, seeing washers installed all over is concerning. If playfield issues are resolved there shouldn't be a need to install washers all over.

#846 2 years ago

Damn, well there goes that theory that the issue has been resolved with the latest build games.

When I see washers being installed all over the place on these games this quote from Rick Grimes comes to mind...

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

#875 2 years ago

From a GNR picture JJP posted today on their Facebook page...

Screenshot_20210609-150726_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210609-150726_Chrome (resized).jpg

#879 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I see what you are trying to do here but probably not worth it when the photo resolution resembles a digital photo produced in 1982. I seriously can't tell what that's supposed to be.

Enhance! haha.

It's one of the main posts on the upper playfield that has seen a lot of pooling / chipping issues.

1 week later
#1002 2 years ago

Have a chance to get a GNR LE in July with one of the latest build dates. So far it seems like May build date games are having far less playfield issues versus the April and prior ones. I would still prefer a game where the manufacturer is confident all issues are resolved and as a result the abundance of washers removed.

It also seems like JJP may be trying different washers and posts with latest builds?

#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It does?
As you know, I am in pretty much the exact same situation as you, so I am paying attention to this stuff and can't say that I have noticed a difference in the newer build dates having less PF issues. I'm still in a holding pattern on my GnR LE

This picture was posted a couple days ago by a May build owner, it's the post near the pops that has been chipping / pooling on nearly every build. Prior to May builds it seems that JJP was using a shorter screw in style post as seen in the video below. The author of the video claims that the post barely threads into the t-nut and due to being hit often moved to cause chipping / pooling. In the May build picture there's now a longer post going through the t-nut and there's also a nut applied.

The May build owner also reported that the updated post / nut is being used on the upper playfield post that has been chipping / pooling on nearly every build.

1a0b1264d2c7720dceed210f8d5896e05fb18ad0 (resized).jpg1a0b1264d2c7720dceed210f8d5896e05fb18ad0 (resized).jpg

#1027 2 years ago

98b2926e-742a-4aef-bacc-e91fe245494f (resized).jpeg98b2926e-742a-4aef-bacc-e91fe245494f (resized).jpeg

#1047 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Panzer don’t take a chance on this. It is still the same PF maker and same JJP problems all over the PF. Don’t believe that anything has been fixed, as JJP has been saying they fixed it for the last 4 games. Who needs to take that kind of huge risk with $10K???
This is a laugh a minute: “ JJP may be trying different washers and posts with latest builds”, who in their right mind wants washers covering and spotting their beautiful PF??? You’re fooling yourself and won’t be able to enjoy it with pooling, chipping, cracking and plain ugly, which will surely come to your PF down the road. Wait till TS to see if they’ve fixed it. In the meantime: I’ll send you a GNR greatest covers song hits CD and a lazer light machine to get near the same experience for a fraction of the price (under, $300 total including shipping, lol).

Lol I know. Good points. I'm now considering buying as reports of pooling / chipping with the latest build games have dropped significantly. There seems to be 3 main posts in the game that contributed heavily to chipping, each originally just barely screwed into a t-nut without a nylon nut on the back and no washer underneath the post on top. You could unscrew those posts with your hand...what a dumb design choice for posts that get hit by the ball often.

JJP has now "corrected" the issue by putting in longer posts wish a washer on top and nylon lock nut on the back. I still say "corrected" as these games shouldn't need those larger washers on top if manufacturer is confident that the playfield won't pool / chip without them. It would be nice if JJP just removed a bit more artwork around all posts, as Stern did, and ditched all of the ugly washers. It's disappointing that customers have to play the wait and see game for when these measures are resolved (same has happened with Stern in the past) but that's where we are at.

#1049 2 years ago

Here's what we know from an owner (thanks sevenrites for the posting the pictures in the GNR owners thread) that just received one of the latest builds with a May 21st playfield. Black plastic washers are now being installed on at least 5 posts. There's the one on the upper playfield, two near the pops, and two by the outlanes. These are the potential problem posts on the game and where we've seen pooling / chipping. I assume JJP is also using a longer post that goes through the t-nut with a nylon nut in these areas (as we've seen reported by other owners) versus the original post design that barely screwed into the t-nut with no nut.

When asked about the black washers.

"Just on the 3 posts w/ the biggest potential for problems - upper playfield and by AXL and I also noticed them by the outlanes."

Personally I think this washer look is ugly and that simply removing more artwork around all posts (as Stern did to resolve the issue) is a better solution.

80ccf21d66544e282c703bc4b033c10aed135d9e (resized).jpg80ccf21d66544e282c703bc4b033c10aed135d9e (resized).jpg

1cc37fea06879abcbcb5ea13b7d96614d8957fbf (resized).jpg1cc37fea06879abcbcb5ea13b7d96614d8957fbf (resized).jpg

#1054 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You keep saying this and as someone who has a GnR LE on order I want to believe it, but I see no evidence of it.
Can you elaborate?

Just observations from here and the JJP Pinball Fans Facebook group, reports of playfield issues on recent builds have dropped heavily. However, there was just a report of pooling from a May build owner in the GNR owners thread...This is on a game with the longer posts, nylon nuts, and black washers on the problem posts. The owner reported that one post with a black washer still had some pooling and that he used an iron to get it back to normal. The owner also reported that the clear is very soft.

It's report like these that makes me want to cancel my order, even with being at the $9500 price point. Using washers and irons on a $10k+ game...ugh. It seems like JJP may know that the playfields have issues and are just doing whatever they can do prevent pooling / chipping. As a customer it would be nice to buy a game with the playfield issues resolved and no large washers installed all over the place.

#1096 2 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

God. Those washers look so freaking bad……….

They are not only ugly but are also a reminder that any playfield with them could have an issue.

Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
JJP is going to be making GNR for the next decade.
I can wait a year.
As soon as they secure a different playfield supplier, I'll get one without the headache

Sounds like a good plan. That's ideally what I would want as well, a GNR LE made with a corrected playfield that doesn't have giant washers installed all over the place. If playfield issues are resolved then there should be no need for the abundance of washers.

Resale value with GNR LE's won't be like Pirates due to the large number of them being made. If JJP eventually releases updated playfields with better art adhesion, clear, etc then I would expect those games to maintain their value better and be the more desirable model. It's also possible JJP never updates their playfields and that this is just the new normal.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1200 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

guys, I just got my LE GNR today, and there are no issues. No pooling or chipping; just a glassy nice Playfield. I just figure there are some duds and alot of good ones out there. I suppose I'm lucky, but the hype over PF issues may be exaggerated here. I've owned three JJP games, and only Wonka had pooling and maybe one millimeter of chip on two star posts. I am not happy that Wonka has a defect, of course, but I've put 1500 games on it, and there is no increase in the chip whatsoever, and the pooling on three posts is super negligible.
I think we ought to understand that even somewhat mass produced items, like pinballs, will always have certain units which are manufactured poorly. It stinks sometimes of course, but overall, there is a lot to love despite the minor defects.
I hope GNR holds up well like wonka. Only time will tell.

I don't think the issues are exaggerated, there's now dozens of reports of pooling / chipping. Latest builds are less affected due to the longer posts + nylon nut + black plastic washer on the problem area posts. There were hundreds of games made prior to those changes, I would say there's been around 50 cases of documented pooling / chipping with early builds (April and before) posted between here and the Facebook JJP Pinball Fans group. How many owners have affected playfields but either won't post anything about it or simply don't know? Probably a hell of a lot more then 50.

I hope your GNR hopes up much better then Wonka, there's no excuse for pooling / chipping on a modern pin, not when games made 20+ years ago with thousands of plays don't exhibit the same issue. Hell, a cousin of mine has a LOTR he's owned since new with 6,000+ plays...no playfield issues.

As customers paying these insane prices we should have higher expectations for build quality.

#1228 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

That’s all GnR is is one big multiball flailfest with no goals other than to get through all the songs.

I don't think you ever understood the rules, there's plenty of goals. Also ,each song is it's own mode with it's own set of shots to hit, the shots also change as you progress through the song.

JJP-GNR-rulesflow_rev2 (resized).jpgJJP-GNR-rulesflow_rev2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1283 2 years ago

I've decided to proceed with my LE order (should ship Friday) after recent reports of playfield issues on the latest builds have dwindled. It seems like the latest post / washer combination has been working out well. If it wasn't for my wife wanting the game so much and being in at the original price point I'm not sure if I would be proceeding at this time. I'll report my unboxing findings here.

#1293 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

So sad, you’ve caved in with wishful hoping, for surely an outcome that might not be to your liking. I hope the best for you, but don’t hold your breath my friend. It will be just a matter of time and you’ll most likely be regretting throwing good money down the drain. You want it so bad, your willing to take that risk? Even a $1k discount makes it still not worth it. Is a crap playfield, the main component of any pinball machine, looking like garbage worth it in your home??? You won’t enjoy looking at all the messed up PF post, with washers that cause the areas to gain in size through pooling more and more over time. No pinball machine is worth that kind of frustration. Will look forward to hearing your horror stories 6 months from now, lol. That is not “rocking on” as some no class morons stutter out…
There are 1290 posts on a thread you started to prove you would not be wise buying a known proven mess of a pinball machine. Do you want to drive a car so bad, that it is known to have a paint job that turns to crap for most people, with a manufacturer that will not support you and leave you in the lurch? JJP never has to correct anything with customers like you, because they know they don’t have to make things better, because you want it so bad, you’ll spend $10k anyway! Lol plain CRAZY! Caveat Emptor!!
[quoted image]

I've been closely watching the playfield threads and the Facebook JJP Fans Group for posts about issues with the most recent builds. There's been none from what I've seen, the combination of the longer posts + black plastic washers + nylon nuts seems to have corrected the issue. There's also been multiple owners with over 200 plays on games with the latest fixes posting that their playfields are still fine. Some owners are also reporting that the clearcoat is improved on the latest builds that just sounds like speculation.

What still doesn't sit right with me and never will is the way JJP has treated existing customers with chipping / pooling. Those customers should at the very least receive a new replacement playfield.

#1296 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just wait for the new playfield supplier.
There is no reason to rush.

Is that confirmed or a rumor / guess at this time?

#1352 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

There won’t be any demand for a POTC remake and JJP knows this already and has stated as much. There was only demand, when it became rare. Prior to JJP announcing POTC was done, they sat in boxes everywhere, with no one wanting them. Also no demand for DI, they too have sat in boxes. WOZ, for some crazy reason, still seems to sell at times, even though it is not usually a theme that true pinball players like. “Hey guys, come over tonight and we’ll play some Dorthy and Toto, lol.” Theme is not good for pinball and all the shots are straight up the middle. Hobbit, not going to ever make that again, it also has stayed in distributor inventory so long, distributors have had to discount to get rid of them.

This would be great news if factual! Evidence of this being true would be necessary for many buyers.

You’re right, need years of evidence, after saying at least three to four times prior, PF issues were fixed. Sure hoping JJP can turn this all around. With all the PF trouble, GNR has seen severely reduced demand. After many discovering it shoots like a dog, that too has taken a toll on GNR. Think its time for JJP to move onto a new vendor for PFs, to save their very bad quality reputation and move onto Pat’s surely good shooting game design of Toy Story (had enough time to work on TS). Would think that might help salvage all JJPs badly damaged PR, at least hoping it will for them. Would hate to see JJP go out of business, after making 5 to 6 troubled machines in a row (four with PF trouble).

I need to take a few Motrin after reading that one as my head now hurts. It's not even worth the effort debating with you, it's pointless.

How many times have you said JJP is going out of business? I can't recall, lost count!

#1356 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

There’s nothing worse than a Pinsider who just keeps repeating the same old thing, eh?

Only fresh takes allowed!

5giqhd (resized).jpg5giqhd (resized).jpg

#1358 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Yeah, I was actually calling Panzer out for criticizing someone else that’s doing exactly what he’s known for.

Oh I know what you were doing, it's not the same thing either. You've been directing snide comments at me for years, I'm used to it! Don't say anything critical about Stern, don't dare question what you get from Stern for $6k -9k+...got it lol. Criticism doesn't automatically mean a game is bad or sucks. At these insane prices criticism, whether about features and or build quality, regardless of the manufacture is normal.

I'm proud to say I've bought a NIB Stern (Turtles premium) and as of today a NIB JJP (GNR LE) within the past 2 months. People can enjoy games from both companies without having to take sides and insult the other

Stern and JJP are both kicking ass right now and it's a great time for pinball.

#1361 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

PFreak my friend: it is comical you continue to put a tiny company like JJP like they are in actual competition with a giant company like Stern. JJP can only put out 45 games tops a week and Stern puts out nearly 100 games a day. Sorry, JJP is not “kicking” anything. They put out 1 game every two years, they’re so small. Now the comparisons could be made with Spooky and they are in fact kicking JJPs rear end, with 2 new titles released at once and every 18 months, not two years like even smaller JJP does, since they began nearly 13 years ago.
Quit ragging on Stern and remember your own mantra: “Criticism doesn't automatically mean a game is bad or sucks. At these insane prices criticism…”, as I write critical things about your beloved JJP from time to time. Just hoping JJP will finally get their act together and actually treat us the customer the way Stern, AP, CGC and Spooky treats us, with respect and honoring repairs. JJP doesn’t do this. Why you continue to support JJP by buying their faulty products is beyond comprehension. JJP has no need to change with groveling customers such as yourself. You’re buying GNR because you perceive you’re getting a $1k discount, lol. All JJP did was raise their prices higher than anyone else’s. And for what? Crappy products??? JJP is living in denial and so is any customer willing to support their narcissistic behavior.

My apologies, as now I see your post was directed at Pfreak and not me. Thanks for clarifying and you're comment is correct.

Now here we go with the "JJP is so small" and "JJP is tiny" troll comments. It's nonsense you spew, it isn't even constructive criticism but rather a mess of words.

#1363 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

That’s funny, the way I remember it is slightly different. “Stern sucks! JJP builds games like tanks! Perfect in every way!”
Cool that you’re enjoying Turtles and GnR though. Glad to see you’ve come around!

Seems like you have some things mixed up then! I've been buying Sterns for years and don't recall ever just making some generalized statement that all of their games suck. Again, criticism doesn't mean something sucks or is terrible. You can be critical and still enjoy something. Hell, this thread is critical about JJP.

#1368 2 years ago

Seems like a lot of LE's are being delivered to customers in the US this week. This latest combination of black washers + longer posts + nylon nuts since late May builds seems to have stopped pooling / chipping on games. Have read a few reports now of owners with 200+ plays on latest builds with no issues. Some customers are saying that the clear coat itself seems harder on the latest builds but that is just speculation.

#1372 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Could also conceal the transition to quality playfields, if and when that actually happens. They don't want a clear line of demarcation where everyone before a certain date (rightfully) demands a new playfield.

Good point. That also makes me wonder if something has changed with the playfield art / clear process in recent games with the heavy drop off in playfield issue reports. With April and prior builds there were reports of issues coming left and right on here and the JJP Facebook Fan Group, now it's pretty much 0.

#1374 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

April build here - no issues after installing PETG washers and longer posts.

Great to hear! Yeah only seems to be a portion of games affected, not sure how many but definitely not all.

#1376 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club... would one of you guys tap out already? Or is this Coke v.s Pepsi argument going to just keep raging on in 5 different threads?

I won't be seeing the comments in question again, sorry those derailed the thread for a bit.

#1379 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What Panzer is known for in terms of repeating himself is his (unhealthy?) love of interactive toys on a pin. Yes, these posts got old very fast, and he was often made fun of for it. He was also accused of being a JJP "fanboy."
But I will give him credit for his recent posts over the last few months, where he has appeared to be objective and even critical of JJP, especially with regard to the PF issues. Hell, he is the one who started this thread..."why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields."
I don't even remember him making recent posts about "toys", and I know he picked up a Stern recently.

Lol. Thanks RobT I appreciate it.

#1382 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Add me to the list of disgruntled consumers .These are just the first few i’m getting to .Under 200 games played .Had it sitting unplugged purchased rubber washers n mylar rings finally got a weekend to get this done now I’m disgusted .Not because this is happening but because it seems nothing will be done about it .I’ve sent emails n called to “mailbox is full” .Just left messages in different departments hopefully they’ll call back .Still under 90 day warranty when started to reach out ,I think today is my 90 day so we’ll see .What is the likely endgame to this ?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry to see that has happened to your game. It's complete BS that is even occurring. JJP should give every affected owner a brand new playfield. It doesn't matter if a majority of them won't be put into games or sold, it's what should be done to make things somewhat right. I would reach out to your distributor asap about the issue, see if you can swap it for a new game with it being only 90 days old.

If I may ask what is your games build date?

#1393 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thanks Dave.Mike’s on it he’s getting the replacement washers theyre using on the new machines .I’m not going to let this get me down on the pin beacause it’s going nowhere ,we love playing it such a rush .I’m cooled down now lmao It’ll work out .

One last suggestion. I would ask your distributor if him and or JJP would do a swap of your game for a newer built considering it's only 90 days old. That's the least JJP can do if they are not going to send a replacement playfield.

#1396 2 years ago

Here's a viewpoint that a member of a pinball league I'm in had on this issue. He said if he just paid $9500 - $12,500 for one of these games and if the manufacture did basically nothing that he would drive the game to their factory and ask for his money back or a new game. Once there he said he would record the whole interaction.

He had another good point being that it can be easy to get a customer initially hooked on your product. Get them in the door and buy the first one, treat them right and they will keep buying more. However, if you treat them poorly (as in sending out washers as a "fix" versus sending a replacement playfield) you will likely lose that customer forever.

I can understand if there's some very very minor pooling near 1 or 2 posts but not severe chipping where the artwork is literally falling off. These products are being marketed as the ultimate pinball machines made with the best quality. Well that whole idea is thrown out the window if the playfields, the most fundamental item on a pinball machine, has major issues. Offering washers is not a solution but rather an insult at these insane prices. A brand new unpopulated playfield should be offered on games that clearly have an issue.

#1432 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

That's easy to do when there's nothing in them

I never understood the whole "Stern makes more games" knock against JJP. Who cares, that doesn't automatically mean they make better products. I suppose Ford makes better products then Ferrari as they crank out more vehicles per year lol.

I would prefer 1 JJP game per year that is loaded with over the top theme integration, toys, features, mechs, and the deep objective based rulesets with some of the best mode choreography in pinball versus 4 - 6 games where maybe 1 or 2 are good.

#1443 2 years ago

Just got the game fully unboxed and on its legs. The build date just says 7/21 on the cabinet, no exact build date by the day (first JJP game I've seen like this). I don't see a build date stamp anywhere on the front of the playfield. Maybe the latest build playfields are no longer stamped? Havent played a ball yet on the game, more stuff to do (mods lol).

The playfield looks gorgeous and I hope it stays that way. I see 9 posts so far with black washers. 5 are near the bottom of the playfield, one near the upper area of the shooter lane, 2 near the pops, and 1 on the upper playfield.

Screenshot_20210717-151013_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210717-151013_Gallery (resized).jpg
20210717_142457 (resized).jpg20210717_142457 (resized).jpg
20210717_142505 (resized).jpg20210717_142505 (resized).jpg
20210717_142516 (resized).jpg20210717_142516 (resized).jpg
20210717_142528 (resized).jpg20210717_142528 (resized).jpg

#1446 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Date stamp is on the back left side. Use your phone to take a pic with the playfield pulled all the way out.

Still don't see it anywhere on the sides, weird.

#1447 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Better not play it yet Panzer!

Lol, it's only to look at!

2 weeks later
#1580 2 years ago

Here's some quotes. First off taking care of customers is not sending out a washer kit on a $7k - $12.5k pinball machine of all things. Also, those last few quotes...just wow. JJP and Micro are responsible for the playfield issue. CUSTOMERS ARE NOT TO BLAME! Those pictures Jack have seen of messed up GNR playfields are likely pictures where owners had to install their own washers, mylar, etc AFTER THE DAMAGE ALREADY OCCURED. Blaming the customer, even hinting at it, for this issue is low. This issue is not the customers fault.

"Things happen in pinball"

"We had a reputation for many years of taking care of the customers"

"I'm pretty sure the few people that had problems we've made offers to sell playfields at a special price"

"We've been very accommodating to our customer base and very respectful to them"

"I think possibly there are some playfields where people may have done something to the playfield to cause damage, I don't really know. I've seen some pictures where you know as a technician and someone in the business for dare I say it 46 years I really wonder how to damage a part. Um I don't know and I'm not accusing anybody of anything, I'm not saying anything, I'm just making a casual observance".

Added over 3 years ago:

Updating

#1603 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Posted elsewhere, but will repeat it here: listening to this recent interview with Jack, combined with the video from 2 years ago saying the PF issue had been identified and fixed (BS), it made me pissed enough to finally call my distributor to cancel my GnR LE order.
No new JJP games will be seeing the light of day in my collection any time soon.

I don't blame ya, what Jack said was flat out wrong. Blaming customers for playfield issues is not only bizarre but insulting towards customers.

#1614 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep, just the final straw. Guess I needed something to push me one way or the other, and this did it for me.
Good luck with yours Panzer. Definitely is an amazing looking and fun playing pin. Too bad the quality and customer support isn't there.

Thanks. So far so good. The packaging of the game, overall build quality, and playability of the game have been excellent. Opening the game and setting it up felt like I was unboxing a premium product. I've had to make a couple tweaks to mechs but very minor. Now of course the big question is how the playfield will hold up. It's a July 2021 build with all of the latest tweaks / fixes. Reports of playfield issues have really dropped off, almost to 0 it seems, since late May and going forward.

I think it helps to have a great distributor that will back you up if issues arise. I ordered from Gary at Abel Electronics and would recommend him to anyone looking to buy a JJP pin.

#1723 2 years ago

Everyone should keep in mind that zaphX has already put thousands of plays on his GNR which is awesome. He's probably already gotten more value out of the game then a vast majority of other owners due to how much he plays and enjoys it.

The playfield situation sucks but at least there's a partial solution. Personally I think JJP should evaluate each customer case individually and if the damage is bad enough (severe chipping) then a playfield should be given for free.

1 month later
#1937 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

How do people know the playfields are still bad. Whats the last reported build date that had pooling or chipping?
Thanks mine is getting close to shipping. Wife says just get it life’s short, she wants this game.

Widespread reports of playfield issues appear to have stopped for the past couple of months. I think I've seen 1 July build mentioned here with reported pooling (under a rail after it was removed) but nothing in comparison to the dozens of reports coming from previous run builds. Reports of issues have also stopped on the JJP Fans Facebook group, there were a ton of reports of playfield issues being reported earlier in the year. The latest July and going forward builds have a different combination of posts and washers, who knows if the actual playfields are different.

One interesting thing I noticed on my July build LE is that the playfield manufactured date isn't stamped anywhere on the playfield, just a random combination of letters and numbers.

1 week later
#1971 2 years ago

I've been considering a Wonka LE from what is likely the final run. However, with it being a small run there's likely no chance of washer and post combinations to be tested over months as with GNR. JJP has one chance to get this final Wonka run right and if there's other sling posts or others not in the pictures above having issues there's no additional run to improve upon it.

1 week later
#2123 2 years ago

Here's a picture of where JJP is installing the latest post and washer combination on GNR, 11 posts total. These should be implemented on games with late June builds and going forward. If these are already installed on your game no post / washer changes are probably needed, posts about playfield issues on the most recent builds have been non existent on Pinside and the JJP fan Facebook group.

52be3ebe2170d32bfe20b4d7933f0041a21e118d (resized).jpg52be3ebe2170d32bfe20b4d7933f0041a21e118d (resized).jpg

#2138 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

I really hope the dearth of recent playfield issues means Mirco solved the problem. But it can take time for these issues to arise. Only a handful of pooling/chipping reports came out when GNR first reached customers, and the forums were full of people claiming those reports were making it up or overstating the problem because their new playfields were fine... until a few months later, and then they weren't.
I think it's premature to say that the new playfields are fine and no additional bullet proofing is required.

Those are good points. With the April builds that were affected with pooling and chipping there were numerous complaints being posted on Pinside and the JJP Facebook group within a month or so of the build date. We are no longer seeing that same pattern with the latest builds and now 3+ months have passed since the latest washer / post combination was implemented. Something is working better, hopefully it stays that way.

#2140 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

I often wonder how many times a post like this is going to be made before people realize nothing has changed, the situation is still as it always has been, and JJP's playfields are garbage? We've seen this game so many times now and yet people STILL act like somethings been "fixed" when in reality nothing has been fixed, the problem is the same, the band-aid just changed a little...
Jeff

With no official communication about the issue being fixed there's no way of knowing if the playfields have been updated and or if the latest "fix" is preventing the issue. I wish JJP would remove artwork around all playfield posts as Stern has done. JJP actually did this with WOZ and Hobbit in many if not all post areas. If Toy Story ships with artwork still around the posts with washers then I don't know what to say lol.

2 weeks later
#2311 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

No. Mine is good. It’s not a matter of time. It’s fine. It’s great. No dimpling. No Pooling. I’ve played a ton of games on it. It’s fine.

Glad your game is good! No issues here either with my July build. Reports of pooling and chipping have pretty much completely stopped on here and and on the JJP Facebook fan group starting with the late June builds and going forward. It's still completely wrong how JJP treated customers with affected playfields, they should have received a free replacement playfield at the very least. I'll continue to wait at least 6 months from the time JJP initially ships the first batch of games for a new title before purchasing as they have now had quality problems with every new release.

In the meantime there are for whatever reason people in this thread almost hoping that every JJP GNR owner has playfield issues which is sad. I think these are the people that will never buy a JJP game, they have already made up their minds and dislike the company.

#2349 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I waxed my GnR playfield today. It’s so beautiful. Perfect.
On a side note, I do believe the longer they sit the more the clear hardens. I got a Micro Funhouse and let it sit a year before I installed it. It’s also been perfect.

Lol

68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#2360 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

PanzerFreak hows your PF holding up? Did you change out any stock posts from this July build?

It's holding up grest so far, no issues, hopefully it stays that way. July build with the latest washer / post combo.

#2363 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Got my October build Wonka and no issues.

That's great to hear, have been heavily considering buying a Wonka from this final run.

#2416 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_light:

I'm not getting any deeper into this. You seem to be arguing quite successfully that a PC is just fine for pinball (as is Stern's system). I only want to comment on the quote above.
It's not an empty promise, and it's not that we will get around to it sometime in the future. We already do. The latest release of Woz, for example, is using the same OS and graphics drivers as GnR. I just updated our oldest game with our newest game's OS and motherboard/CPU/GPU support. Hobbit through Wonka also run on this same OS. I intend to update our OS again quite soon, and when I do all of our games will get another OS update (not just game code update). This is our standard. It's all automated and has no engineering cost to us other than me running some release scripts. How is that not already making your maintenance dream come true?

Just on a side note, thank you JJP for all of the incredible code work over the years, it's the best in the industry in my opinion. The fact that WOZ is still getting code updates 8 years later is amazing.

3 months later
#2469 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

We’ll know if it’s really resolved after the latest playfields get 6+ months of use. We’ve seen the same story play out multiple times: new playfields arrive in good condition, NIB owners claim the problems are gone, and then 3-6mos later photos of pooling from that run appear in the forums.
Hopefully Mirco fixed their process, but it’s just too early to tell.

After the last batch of fixes starting with June / July 2021 builds it seems that all reports of pooling and chipping stopped. It's been 6+ months since then so something is working. No reports either from the last Wonka batch. That doesn't mean that previous owners with issues were treated right, they were not IMO and deserved at least a free replacement playfield for severe cases ($12,500 CE buyers especially!).

#2472 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Whilst this is good news it's also the same pattern as in the past. Title released, pf issues at the beginning, Mirco accepts no accountability and then something happens where the issue goes away. Will be interesting to see with the next title!

Yup, that does seem to be the pattern. Personally I will not buy a JJP pin built within 6 months of a titles release. Every single JJP title, except for Hobbit, has had playfield issues with some of the earliest builds. The risk was too great at $7k and I'm sure as hell not taking it at $11k. I may actually buy a Wonka LE but only because it's from the last run with all issues resolved. Same goes for Stern games, rather wait 6 months from release and then buy.

#2484 2 years ago
Quoted from Xelz:

There have been photos of pooling/chipping on fall builds. It arguably may be because some posts are pulled by rubbers that are too tight. But it’s accurate to state that we haven’t gone 6mos without someone posting evidence of pooling on their recently built playfield.

It's very very few reports then. Prior to last June there were reports of pooling and chipping being posted daily on here and Facebook, that pattern has since ended. I don't see washers as an actual fix as if issues with playfields were truly resolved there would be no need for them. Whatever latest washer and post combination JJP is using it's working and is simply a preventive measure to stop pooling and chipping before it occurs.

With all of that being said I'll never buy a JJP or Stern made within the first 6 months of release. There's always problems with the first batch of games and at these insane prices the benefit of being one of the first to own a game isn't worth it IMO. Buying a game from a later run or the last batch is usually a safe bet to get a solid NIB pin.

1 week later
#2523 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Does it make you feel better wishing failure for a company that others count on for their lively hood?

There's been a number of people on Pinside that have hated JJP from the start. I don't understand it other then some deep seated resentment that a pinball company came out of no where and started producing games with twice as many features, mechs, and code then Stern. That rubbed some people the wrong way and still does to this day.

With that being said JJP hasn't handled GNR playfield issues well. The owners with severe chipping and pooling deserved at least a free playfield. Personally its taught me to never buy another JJP game unless its at least 6 months post release. Same goes for Stern, there's too many issues with early build games to warrant a purchase at these insane prices IMO. However, Stern at least appears to have resolved their playfield issues by removing artwork around all posts, something JJP still refuses to do which seems odd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Danbury, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 11,000.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.