(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1634 Observations & insight on JJP/Mirco playfield pooling issue Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1649 Uncut playfield photos Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1660 Thin clear coat issues Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hank527.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2408 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I don't intend to start a debate on whether a PC is suitable for a pinball machine. I understand the pros and cons of each architecture (disclaimer: my work is specifically on embedded ARM device, so I'm quite knowledgeable).
But I can build a three display output (and more) ARM based system with equivalent graphics capabilities for the purpose of a pinball machine in a 30W enveloppe with an operating lifetime under full load of 5 years, 24/7. And I can add some additionnal capabilities on top of it, image processing being one of them, but not only. That's kind of the whole reason why Apple is using ARM extensively, including in their Macbook line and ditched x86.
x86 brings is essentially ease of development and reduced engineering cost (especially custom motherboard requirement as is the case for Spike 2). As of today, from the pure capability standpoint in a pinball machine, there is little rationale to put a PC, but from the cost of development there definitely is (that, plus the fact that when DialedIn was released, indeed embedded device capabilities were far lower than where they are today).
ARM platform bring better integration, lower power consumption, longer operating lifetime. And for that matter, Stern Spike 2 architecture allows them to have as many display as they want conceptually, so DialedIn 3 screens setup is not something they would not be able to replicate easily should they want to. But engineering cost is way higher. It's a 50k dollars figure at a minimum to build a fully integrated ARM based custom system. Stern Spike 2 development likely costed way more than that, since they built a whole architecture around it (node, communication bus, etc).
when Pinball Brothers selected a PC for their Alien remake, the whole reasoning was likely engineering cost (at the expense of BOM cost though, from what I could see on their system architecture it's not exactly cheap)
So bottom line using a PC is perfectly legitimate, even if not optimal (my DialedIn is NOISY compared to Spike 2 next to it) in my opinion, but can be justified by lower engineering cost.
What I do challenge however is the use of a "consumer" type motherboard and graphics board.
Consumer products are designed with ONE directive: cost. They need to achieve the minimum warranty required legally at the lowest cost, and that's absolutely it (except for gaming motherboard). Which means it's super unlikely it will last for 20y, at least not all of them.
Using a graphics board with a regular PCI-express slot in a mechanically constrained environment, especially with regards to shock and vibration, is really really not a good idea (as we have seen with users reporting that the card had unplugged itself from it's slot). There are industry grade standards to adress precisely this type of concern (MXM being one of them, but not only).
And lastly: supply of these consumer parts do not last forever, whereas in embedded (even in PC space) it is traditionnal to supply components for 5 years at least, 10 years more often than not.
When these parts are not available anymore, should the motherboard or graphics board fail, you're toasted. And speaking of which, I could actually not find replacement boards on JJP website itself. You can't find them on Marco either (at least I couldn't).
One will argue that you could find some on ebay since it's a consumer product, true enough, but for how long ? Especially the graphics board, which is not exactly a standard model (it's a low profile board). WPC machines have been around for more than 20y, and you can still find boards for them. People have been designing replacement CPU board that work out of the box.
It's a different story with a tightly coupled SW/HW as is the case here
I appreciate the fact that JJP is bringing new capabilities to their released machine (Scorbit being one of them), as do many other JJP owners (I have a DialedIn by the way), but so far I have not seen a company commitment to upgrade the BSP (stands for "Board Support Package", ie the combination of BIOS, kernel and filesystem that make the whole thing work) to support different type of HW (especially graphics). And no it's very very unlikely it will work out of the box (try using JJP image on a brand new motherboard with a brand new AMD graphics board see if it works). I tried in a VM, could boot to the main bootloader, but no further.
Maybe some will step in and hack the BSP to make it work on alternate HW, but at the cost of these machines, shouldn't this be the supplier responsibility ?
If JJP state that they can (and will) add support for new motherboard/graphics board, then they will be one step closer to true customer care: allowing the customer to replace parts at a later time with different type of HW. It's a HW maintenance dream. But it has an engineering cost to JJP, with little to no return (except customer satisfaction).
True enough, part availability from Stern is also a concern (and cost !), but at least we have a solution for the foreseeable future. I can buy a Spike 2 board on Marco or Stern 2 easily. I do agree the same question will be raised in 10y.
Anyway, that was a rather long post to state my point of view
Constructive comments welcome, please let's avoid a flame war.
Regards

Best post I’ve read in a long time. There are concerns with JJP and future support. Current history of things Jack has said might give a lot of pause.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hank527.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields?tu=hank527 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.