(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1634 Observations & insight on JJP/Mirco playfield pooling issue Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1649 Uncut playfield photos Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1660 Thin clear coat issues Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1712 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I have never liked Jack, I always thought he looked like a patsy for the Jersey mob.
That being said, his response on owners damaging their own machines...
And just how does one accomplish this and with what intent? I play my machine and it "damages" it while I play? If anything, he has undermined his own product by saying something so stupid.
"Buy a JJP machine, because when you play, your gonna pay!" And not just once, but twice so throw me an extra $500 and maybe I give you a blank pf to make your nutsack hurt a little bit less after I have done a Mexican hat dance all over it?
I have resisted jumping down any JJP rabbit holes and now am I likely to never after I heard his latest line of BS. What a tool.

Out of curiosity, any link on videos where he stated this ?

3 weeks later
#1796 2 years ago
Quoted from TommyMc:

I received a email from Jen at JJP last week telling me my game was almost ready to ship. I cancelled my order telling them that was because of the playfield issues and warranty changes. Their response? Silence not a word!

Unfortunately, since they still have customers willing to buy no matter what, they have no reason to change their attitude

The only other thing that could get them moving is legal action. I'm actually surprised that no one started one already, especially in the US (it would be more difficult in Europe, given the variety of legal rules).

#1801 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Yea you should see my stranger thing playfield, millions of dimples around the Center of the playfield

Would welcome a picture. Not that I question your statement, just that I'm going to receive a Stranger Things, so might as well look into it

On a sidenote, I have a Star Trek Premium from Stern, no PP, and it's perfect. I might be missing minor defects, but to me anyway it looks perfect. Hence why I would be interested to know whether the dimples you see are something I would miss.

#1826 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Man up? Mirco?
German men are trained to sit like a weak little girl with little blonde pigtails when they pee. That is not a recipe for Mirco manly pumpitude.
[quoted image]

Am I reading the comment right? That's second degree humour, right ?

Because otherwise, I have quite a few German friends who would not take kindly to this kind of comment.

#1829 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes. Hanz and Franz skits were very famous and popular on SNL (well, in the US at least) with them calling anyone that's not them girlie men and babies and insulting them in infantile ways. Maybe you had to be there...

I'm relieved. And no, unlikely this show is known anywhere else but the US, so I suspect any German reading this thread would not have caught the humor, just like myself

Regards

#1843 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:And...nice callback pun!

Seriously, take care.

As much as I would like to claim that "yeah, that was intended as a pun", honesty compels me to state "Oh damn, you know, I actually absolutely did not make the connection when writing my response".

That's what you get when writing in foreign languages I guess (you should try French )

Cheers

1 week later
#1959 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Great question, it's not really losing 10k maybe what 2k if you playfield chips or pools. My wife asked for this pin I explained the issues with the playfield she said so what is it fun to play for you, it is for me. I have saved money like not many people l know. Started a IRA at 18 years old, have 3 defined pensions and 2 defined contribution plans. Saved like crazy my whole life. I will be dead in 15 years so why not? Should I have a u-haul with cash in it follow my hurst?
I would agree pinball is a very foolish way to spend money. Fun for me, I don't drink, gamble, or smoke. I have terrible habit of wanting and buying pinball machines that I could most likely sell for more then I paid. Do you think it is foolish for me to but a pinball machine?

Well seen that way, that definitely does change the perspective, and I can understand your point of view, so yeah, go ahead and enjoy the pin.

Cheers

3 weeks later
#2202 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Talking tough with Mirco is a fools game and an outright diversion. Mirco is not the issue. They are not the ones that put artwork under the posts. Drill PF holes too large for the posts; improperly fitting and over tightening posts at the JJP factory, etc. Ordering too thick of clear coat is also on JJP. Why do you keep blaming Mirco thinking they are the ones in control of JJPs product??? Mirco is just a vendor and does what JJP tells them to do. How long are you JJP fanboys going to keep trying to pass the buck and live in denial???
(Your talk of volume is also preposterous. You don’t, nor does any person other than JJP know the numbers they are producing and its for sure not thousands. They can only output around 40 a week, that much we do know. They’ve been at this for a year making GNR. Let’s give them say 40 weeks they were actually able to make that many, given part shortages. That’s only 1600 GNRs, which is doubtful with all the smart people that have pulled their orders because of poor quality products, no warranty, bad customer service and part shortages. Hugely doubtful that JJP has even made much more than around 1200 to be more accurate, given all the parameters. JJP is a tiny boutique company about the size of Spooky, but Spooky has their act together and makes a far superior product. Remember during an even longer time period, they only made 1,000 POTC.)

I kind of disagree.

While JJP indeed has a massive responsibility in the management of the issue, Mirco is the manufacturer of the playfield. As such, they are responsible for the quality of it. JJP, just like any integrator, buys a product with given specifications. In any industry, if the supplier fails to deliver (ie Mirco), the customer (ie JJP) is entitled for a corrective action plan and potentially compensation. The fact they are not pursuing that route is, frankly, baffling.

Pushing the blame on JJP on the basis of 'art under the post', 'thick clearcoat' is not relevant. If a supplier feels that the specifications given by the customer impact quality, they have to deny these requests. Again, that happens in every industry (and for that matter, I'm precisely dealing right now on a problem of that nature in my field, ie electronics).

Also, Mirco has a track record. There are multiple testimonies over multiple issues over multiple playfield reproductions, and for those JJP was completely out of the loop.

So in my opinion they are not responsible of the playfield quality itself

However they should have acknowledged the issue, implemented a corrective action plan, and adressed customer concerns, which they didn't. For that they are responsible.

And for that reason alone, no JJP for me in the foreseeable future.

#2227 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

But JJP is buying them from Mirco and selling the pin with the bad playfield. While Mirco is the blame for the shit PF, that is JJPs issue to take up with Mirco Ultimately, JJP is to blame for the buyer of the pin getting a falling apart PF because JJP knows they are shit and they continue to put them in pins and sell them to people while refusing to do absolutely nothing about it except lay the blame on the consumer. At this point however we all know that if you buy a game from JJP the chances are high that you will get a shit PF so you really have no room to bitch about it. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

As noted, I agree that JJP is responsible to the end customer. I was simply responding to the poster on the actual root cause of the issue. To me, it's not JJP, it's Mirco.

But that does not change the end result:
- JJP should have addressed the issue with Mirco, they haven't
- JJP should have addressed customer concerns, they haven't

And for these reasons, yes JJP is fully liable as a company.

And I absolutely don't get it why they have not taken it up to Mirco. As a manufacturer, I would go ballistic if one of my suppliers was messing my product quality.

Only rationale explanation is, as implied by others, that there's some sort of contract, but we can only speculate

So no JJP for me regardless of the theme (although if they release a James Bond theme or Blade Runner, that will be super hard to resist)

3 weeks later
#2369 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Jjp feels more solid but I have put hours Into getting GnR in shape and almost nothing into 3 stern games. They just played out of the box.

Some design choices in the control electronic of my DialedIn LE really baffles me. Compared to Stern or even Pinball Brothers (I just looked at the design of the Alien remake), I would on contrary argue that it's not designed for longevity, at least this portion.

If it were, they would not have used a consumer type PC motherboard with a consumer type PC graphics board, plugged in a vertical position. It will fail eventually. And no you just can't change the motherboard and the graphics board, the embedded Linux distribution is tied to the HW, so unless JJP provides SW maintenance to allow for support of newer motherboard and graphics board, or somebody hack their distribution, you will be toast if the motherboard dies (not to mention they likely have a custom sbios)

#2376 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I tend to agree - but don't think may others do
JJP threw a PC in there
Stern has boards designed for a pinball machine

Well Pinball Brothers also put a PC, but at least it's an industrial grade box. Their design architecture is probably more expensive than Stern, but they could not afford very likely a custom design like Stern did (who is using NXP if I recall), so a PC was their best bet. Although god knows I think a PC is not suitable for this type of application, at least they did their homework in terms of reliability. For their first (well one would argue their second) it's not a bad accomplishment.

Really wonder, does JJP still use consumer grade motherboard for GnR?

#2406 2 years ago

I don't intend to start a debate on whether a PC is suitable for a pinball machine. I understand the pros and cons of each architecture (disclaimer: my work is specifically on embedded ARM device, so I'm quite knowledgeable).

But I can build a three display output (and more) ARM based system with equivalent graphics capabilities for the purpose of a pinball machine in a 30W enveloppe with an operating lifetime under full load of 5 years, 24/7. And I can add some additionnal capabilities on top of it, image processing being one of them, but not only. That's kind of the whole reason why Apple is using ARM extensively, including in their Macbook line and ditched x86.

x86 brings is essentially ease of development and reduced engineering cost (especially custom motherboard requirement as is the case for Spike 2). As of today, from the pure capability standpoint in a pinball machine, there is little rationale to put a PC, but from the cost of development there definitely is (that, plus the fact that when DialedIn was released, indeed embedded device capabilities were far lower than where they are today).

ARM platform bring better integration, lower power consumption, longer operating lifetime. And for that matter, Stern Spike 2 architecture allows them to have as many display as they want conceptually, so DialedIn 3 screens setup is not something they would not be able to replicate easily should they want to. But engineering cost is way higher. It's a 50k dollars figure at a minimum to build a fully integrated ARM based custom system. Stern Spike 2 development likely costed way more than that, since they built a whole architecture around it (node, communication bus, etc).

when Pinball Brothers selected a PC for their Alien remake, the whole reasoning was likely engineering cost (at the expense of BOM cost though, from what I could see on their system architecture it's not exactly cheap)

So bottom line using a PC is perfectly legitimate, even if not optimal (my DialedIn is NOISY compared to Spike 2 next to it) in my opinion, but can be justified by lower engineering cost.

What I do challenge however is the use of a "consumer" type motherboard and graphics board.

Consumer products are designed with ONE directive: cost. They need to achieve the minimum warranty required legally at the lowest cost, and that's absolutely it (except for gaming motherboard). Which means it's super unlikely it will last for 20y, at least not all of them.

Using a graphics board with a regular PCI-express slot in a mechanically constrained environment, especially with regards to shock and vibration, is really really not a good idea (as we have seen with users reporting that the card had unplugged itself from it's slot). There are industry grade standards to adress precisely this type of concern (MXM being one of them, but not only).

And lastly: supply of these consumer parts do not last forever, whereas in embedded (even in PC space) it is traditionnal to supply components for 5 years at least, 10 years more often than not.

When these parts are not available anymore, should the motherboard or graphics board fail, you're toasted. And speaking of which, I could actually not find replacement boards on JJP website itself. You can't find them on Marco either (at least I couldn't).

One will argue that you could find some on ebay since it's a consumer product, true enough, but for how long ? Especially the graphics board, which is not exactly a standard model (it's a low profile board). WPC machines have been around for more than 20y, and you can still find boards for them. People have been designing replacement CPU board that work out of the box.

It's a different story with a tightly coupled SW/HW as is the case here

I appreciate the fact that JJP is bringing new capabilities to their released machine (Scorbit being one of them), as do many other JJP owners (I have a DialedIn by the way), but so far I have not seen a company commitment to upgrade the BSP (stands for "Board Support Package", ie the combination of BIOS, kernel and filesystem that make the whole thing work) to support different type of HW (especially graphics). And no it's very very unlikely it will work out of the box (try using JJP image on a brand new motherboard with a brand new AMD graphics board see if it works). I tried in a VM, could boot to the main bootloader, but no further.

Maybe some will step in and hack the BSP to make it work on alternate HW, but at the cost of these machines, shouldn't this be the supplier responsibility ?

If JJP state that they can (and will) add support for new motherboard/graphics board, then they will be one step closer to true customer care: allowing the customer to replace parts at a later time with different type of HW. It's a HW maintenance dream. But it has an engineering cost to JJP, with little to no return (except customer satisfaction).

True enough, part availability from Stern is also a concern (and cost !), but at least we have a solution for the foreseeable future. I can buy a Spike 2 board on Marco or Stern 2 easily. I do agree the same question will be raised in 10y.

Anyway, that was a rather long post to state my point of view

Constructive comments welcome, please let's avoid a flame war.

Regards

#2418 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_light:

I'm not getting any deeper into this. You seem to be arguing quite successfully that a PC is just fine for pinball (as is Stern's system). I only want to comment on the quote above.
It's not an empty promise, and it's not that we will get around to it sometime in the future. We already do. The latest release of Woz, for example, is using the same OS and graphics drivers as GnR. I just updated our oldest game with our newest game's OS and motherboard/CPU/GPU support. Hobbit through Wonka also run on this same OS. I intend to update our OS again quite soon, and when I do all of our games will get another OS update (not just game code update). This is our standard. It's all automated and has no engineering cost to us other than me running some release scripts. How is that not already making your maintenance dream come true?

Technically, this is indeed good news. And well, your marketing department sucks because it's advertised absolutely nowhere that you can use GnR motherboard/graphics as a replacement to DialedIn, Woz, etc...

However I would point out that you can't buy a GnR motherboard/graphics board on JJP website (or any other JJP pin for that matter), Marco, or any other site that I could find. Marco does not even have a section on JJP CPU boards.

So for this promise of long term support to become true, then there's one last hurdle since the technical aspect is solved: document the required parts, ensure their availabilities on JJP website and other part distributors.

Or, make it work with any motherboard/GPU combination, regardless of processor model (AMD/Intel) and graphics board (AMD/NVIDIA) (within reason of course, we all know how complex this can become).

On a sidenote, I find it absolutely brilliant that JJP keeps releasing new code with new capabilities for older machine, where ROI is pretty much zero. Kudos for that.

Regards

#2428 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_light:

This is almost how it works already. We unofficially support any modern Intel based system up to the release date of each ISO update. AMD processor based systems may work but I've not tried. Dialed In! will unofficially support most AMD GPU add-on cards for the Quantum Theater display. That being said, we've not tested anything other than what was officially used in each game's production run. If you use others, you're on your own as far as warranty/tech support, but at least they'll work. That is why it's not advertised. We don't want a bunch of customers thinking they are "upgrading" their system, then calling support for help, because they aren't officially supported. It's just a nice thing to know about in case things fail in the future.

OK good to know, and kudos for that

But just so I understand : what happens if a customer has a faulty motherboard/graphics board ? Do you have hidden inventory and should the customer contact JJP they will get the option to buy it ? If so does this apply internationally ? Or does JJP states "buy any Intel motherboard and it should work" ?

Just curious, and I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just looking at the big picture support wise.

Sidenote: this whole "OS vs HW qualification/test" issue is not unique to JJP, I've had this issue raised on multiple occasions (Yocto vs Ubuntu vs RedHat vs whateverdistributionthecustomerwantstouse vs whatweprovide), so I'm not going to throw a stone here.

Quoted from Bendit:

It's also worth noting that I can probably buy a PC motherboard with RAM right now (not latest tech, but good enough to run my Hobbit) for less than the price of a Stern Node board.
Also, I have HTPCs in my house currently that have Dell and Asus motherboards that have been on 24/7 for at least 5 years. I am not even counting my old Dell server that has been on for the last decade. Granted, on the server, I had to replace one of the power supplies.
Also, I have an Atari ST emulator that runs on x86/x64 that run games from 1987. In 30 years, you might be able to emulate an x64 platform for your JJP machine way easier than trying to find an actual ARM-specific board.

Well I've had three motherboards die on me on the last five years. Granted they are kind of taxed in operation so I'm probably not representative of day to day usage, but still.

Server motherboard are another class altogether. They are not built around cost, they are built for robustness and 24/7 operation, and yes I also have server motherboards which are still alive and kicking after several years (although my SMC blade server has always been prone to memory failure for some reason).

But in the field, I've had multiple customers having physical failures of motherboard because of shock and vibrations when using standard PCIe graphics card. That's the part which is a concern to me honestly.

Your point on emulation is valid, and absolutely fair to state that x86 brings flexibility. But... so does ARM (see PinMame running on RPI... or any other emulator - Retropie, Recalbox, etc).

Cheers

#2454 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I would just cut the wires and abandon those speakers in place, then use external speakers and sub. JJP went to that setup when they moved the huge computer case out of the base cabinet and into the backbox. Seems there was no room to mount the speakers properly, so they point straight up instead of pointing out at the player. The result is awful. The older JJP games sounded much better. I was really surprised when I played GnRLE for the first time at how bad that sound actually was for a music machine. I suppose that's why the topper on the CE is a soundbar. For that amount of money it needs to at least sound better than the crappy speakers that come in a Stern Pro.

Well for that matter maybe remove the speaker, the grill, and mount a wooden fixture in front with the speaker oriented toward the player ?

#2463 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I think you can , I know you can with Pinwoofer , every time I make an assumption , I'm always wrong
Woz had a line out in the back of the cabinet , it would be good if they were still doing that .

Ah did not know that. Will have to check on DialedIn

3 months later
#2475 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Any confirmation that the process has been changed and the issue has actually been fixed or are they still just covering with washers?

This thread seem to come back alive

Joke aside, you won't get any confirmation from JJP, since admitting to a manufacturing process change would mean admitting there was an issue in the first place, meaning... well... liability for all original buyers.

Whatever they did, if they did anything, has been done quietly, and the only way to know for sure is to wait a few more months from owner of the last builds to report back.

Incidentally, it would be really good to have some sense of the build date these changes started to have an effect, that way second hand buyer can check it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

7,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

7,500 (OBO)
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields?tu=ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.