(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1634 Observations & insight on JJP/Mirco playfield pooling issue Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1649 Uncut playfield photos Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Post #1660 Thin clear coat issues Posted by AMSNL (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnTTwo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Not excusing anyone here, but I will play devil's advocate and say that I think this is being blown out of proportion at this point. It sure seems like the bulk of the issues with GnR were in the early runs from last summer and the reports are few and far between these days for recent builds. Unless someone can prove this is still widespread including cracking, I would not let this slow me down at all if I was in the market for GnR. Pooling has no effect on gameplay and seems to have no effect on resale on this title. If you want the game, buy it, make sure all the posts have a washer, forget about all this and have fun playing.

I never want to be “that guy”

Is a chipping playfield under warranty a valid claim to want fixed?

#99 2 years ago

So I have a playfield with chipping. My distro went above and beyond for me. Spending his own money to make me whole. Jason at classic games rooms came through for me big time. Not all distro are the same and I highly recommend Jason for anyone looking for a new pin. Thanks Grindle3 for your help!

1 week later
#140 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Does JJP really advertise themselves as "passion over profit" or is that standard Panzer hyperbole?

No their official company motto is "We are not happy, til you are not happy"

#301 2 years ago

So I am new here but was kinda curious about this possibility. You pinball experts seriously the guys who are on here a lot have been into pins a long time are experts. Could you be screwing yourselves over with JJP?

You’re in the know so you don’t buy. Lame stream people don’t care about this issue buy up games, drive the price up the people who know the most don’t buy, prices go up after production is done. You’re only choice to own a game is to over pay or miss out on owning great game.

Seems this place tore JJP POTC down, but look at the real world price of that machine now. I could be 100% wrong just some rambling from a newbie.

#365 2 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hello Fellas Doug also shared that he talked to another pinball company that purchased a gnr and he advised he was told that it came with a disclaimer for any issues associated with the playfield. Nice.

I would really like some more info on this, and would love to read the verbiage. Please post up if possible.

#485 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

So they will buyback your game, but the 1000.00 deposit is non refundable or transferable. If they have so many GNRLE’s sold they should just refund the deposit it wont hurt them they have the supposed product everyone wants, i wonder how many would pull out if the deposit was refundable.

Make final payment with a CC. JJP is just asking for more trouble. Can you imagine all the folks with credit card charge backs because of warranty issues? Could actually harm them more then anything else.

#525 2 years ago

I got my deposit refunded today.

Changing the terms of a agreement must be acceptable to both parties.

How many folks will buy a pin with no warranty on the playfield? These days.

#529 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Consider me the problem then because while you guys gnash your teeth over it i'll be having fun with my games!
I still haven't heard anyone give any concrete evidence as to the breadth of the issues because my PF's are great and i'm NOT seeing 100's of people jump off ledges because they don't like their PF's
Now IF what you say is true AND so many people care about it and WON'T buy their games now then JJP will go out of business. Plain and simple.
That's NOT going to happen and people WILL continue to buy their games. A certain % of people don't give a flying F about some pooling and minor chipping issues. That is just the way it is whether you agree with it or not.
And I'm NOT going to be part of some MOB attack before we know all of the FACTS.
As for Stern and their POOLING ISSUES, it's now crickets isn't it.
So let's spread the hate around a little bit more fairly.

Did Stern revise their warranty and stop covering know issues?

#793 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Either of you “have the balls” to give up the $5k profit you can make selling your CE in order to make a point to JJP?

And then watch jjp sell it for 15k in 2 minutes on market place . LOL

#829 2 years ago

Who would have thought a NIB is worth less then a used proven playfield?

#855 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I'm buying Toy Story. So nobody minus one. lol

#928 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Why not fill the holes with epoxy and redrill? Why all the insert, 3d printed spacer drama?

This is what I was thinking.

Fill hole with 2 part expoxy. Drill out from bottom run thread cutter through TNut and epoxy.

1 week later
#1056 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Nah, JJP's customer service sucks and they should be doing alot more than they're doing to look after their customers. It is ridiculous to spend 10 hours damage proofing your game before playing it. And if you dont, being given a washer to cover the chip.

Wonder why Barry and my distro took such good care of me? Do you own a JJP with issues?

#1061 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

My take on this comes from Radio Shack's TRS80 computer that they sold in 1977. I put $100 dollars down and got on the waiting list. This also got me on the TRS80 customer monthly newsletter mailing list. So I was waiting for about 5 months, and every month I got the monthly customer newsletter with an article on how you can repair your computer without having to take it back to Radio Shack. At the end of 5 months of newsletters, I already had a major list of preventative or corrective actions I was going to have to make after taking it out of the box, even before I started to use it. That was enough for me, I went and got my deposit back and cancelled the order. If I had a JJP GnR on order and could get my deposit back, or put toward another title? Damn straight I would. I don't buy $10k toys that require a shop job right out of the box. That is just f'ed -the fuck- upped.

What if you also got the other title?

#1089 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Vid you did the right thing. Below comment is from the Mandalorian thread and think this guys sums up the GNR experience, not just all the PF issues. So you’re not missing out on anything.

Me personally: even though they are slow games, like (somewhat) the way DI and WW shoot (even though the ball gets lost on both layouts all the time), but that’s the expertise of the long time designer Pat L. versus the very inexperienced Eric M (POTC the ball meanders all over the place and GNR is almost not pinball, but rather a light show with music. Both shoot so slowly like the guy above stated).

As a average player I 100% agree with this. This os why JJP is so awesome for me. I’m no highscore guy, Sterns seem so cheaply built, says my wife who’s worse then me. But all that glitter and long ball time only makes the JJP line up heads and shoulders above for us average Joes. I am having a little fun on a new JP but rarely go over 100 mil.

2 weeks later
#1343 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Stern is still using the same wood they always have, which is the same wood all US manufacturers have been using for decades and no wood is hard enough to protect from ball hits. I wish the "hard/soft playfield wood" thing would hurry up and die already

No kidding I seriously laugh at that excuse. We have more technology today to measure wood hardness and meet specs.

#1346 2 years ago

Reading the post on Facebook seems like this playfield issue could be a thing of the past. Congrats JJP if you solved the problem!

#1422 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Completely agree with everything you said except this. Mirco needs to step up and provide a revised batch to JJP for FREE.
JJP then needs to give these to everyone that owns an affected game.
JJP shouldn’t have to pay Mirco and the owner shouldn’t have to pay JJP for a new PF.
It’s the *LEAST* Mirco could do - otherwise they are a pile of crap forever in my eyes.

What if JJP ordered playfields to meet a spec? Holes sizes, ink type, clear type. Is is Mirco’s fault if they made the playfield to meet specifcations? Like if the holes are to big does Mirco determine the proper hole size to drill?

3 weeks later
#1607 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't blame ya, what Jack said was flat out wrong. Blaming customers for playfield issues is not only bizarre but insulting towards customers.

It’s not bizarre if he is getting ready to fight a class action lawsuit.

#1656 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

We know that the next game (probably toy story) is GOING to have issues.

How do you know this?

1 month later
#1933 2 years ago

How do people know the playfields are still bad. Whats the last reported build date that had pooling or chipping?

Thanks mine is getting close to shipping. Wife says just get it life’s short, she wants this game.

#1935 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Life is short and so is JJP's warranty.
It's only money and you'll probably not lose much if anything on it anyway unless the long-predicted pinball bubble burst actually happens in which case a lot of people will be in the same boat. I'm not buying anything from them until I'm sure they've fixed their playfields AND their attitude towards customers with issues but not going to judge anyone else for deciding differently than me. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Just had a good experience with my Willy and Barry (pun intended) he and my distro have made me 100% whole on that game.

#1943 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Widespread reports of playfield issues appear to have stopped for the past couple of months. I think I've seen 1 July build mentioned here with reported pooling (under a rail after it was removed) but nothing in comparison to the dozens of reports coming from previous run builds. Reports of issues have also stopped on the JJP Fans Facebook group, there were a ton of reports of playfield issues being reported earlier in the year. The latest July and going forward builds have a different combination of posts and washers, who knows if the actual playfields are different.
One interesting thing I noticed on my July build LE is that the playfield manufactured date isn't stamped anywhere on the playfield, just a random combination of letters and numbers.

Thanks Panz, that is what my distro said as well. I am thinking of rolling with it and taking a chance.

#1957 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

But why? Taking a chance? It's a $10K+ purchase and "taking a chance" seems like a less than wise approach to something like that.
I sort of feel like JJP has adopted the Thomas Tusser quote as a company motto... "A fool and his money are soon parted"...
Jeff

Great question, it's not really losing 10k maybe what 2k if you playfield chips or pools. My wife asked for this pin I explained the issues with the playfield she said so what is it fun to play for you, it is for me. I have saved money like not many people l know. Started a IRA at 18 years old, have 3 defined pensions and 2 defined contribution plans. Saved like crazy my whole life. I will be dead in 15 years so why not? Should I have a u-haul with cash in it follow my hurst?

I would agree pinball is a very foolish way to spend money. Fun for me, I don't drink, gamble, or smoke. I have terrible habit of wanting and buying pinball machines that I could most likely sell for more then I paid. Do you think it is foolish for me to but a pinball machine?

1 week later
#1970 2 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I disagree ... there are very few entertainment items that have high resale value. Even if things went back to "normal" in pinball, you wouldn't lose much on a machine ... and chances are that machine would have provided you with hours of entertainment.
Of course, you could argue that blowing money on entertainment is foolish, but the purpose of life isn't to piss away every waking moment accumulating cash. I did that for a couple of years doing some freelance work and was one miserable prick afterwards . I made a *lot* but had ZERO time to do anything fun. It taught me a lesson at a relatively young age that has served me well .

I have done some mission work and buying pins over feeding starving kids is not a good use of money is what I was thinking, I love buying and playing pins.

#1991 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Jacked up prices for Jacked up playfields

I’m so happy I haven’t been reading about any bad playfields lately.

Delivery in 2 weeks!!!

#1994 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

That's one hell of a quote... Lately... LOL... So when your game shows up with half-dollar size washers that make it look like the POS it is I'm sure you'll be just thrilled... Then again, I doubt you'll tell us as that would be pretty embarrassing to admit you were wrong despite a mountain of warnings advising you otherwise.
Jeff

Like my wife said "will you have fun playing it" I love looking at perfect stuff and my OCD can be bad, I am mentally just looking at this like a toy.

#2025 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Agreed! A word to the wise. Don’t anyone kid themselves, at these insanely high JJP MSRP prices, poor quality drives everyone crazy. And yes, JJP machines don’t hold value worth a ding dong. WOZ is difficult to sell, if anyone knows it’s history. Hobbit is so lackluster I know many distributors had to discount it to get rid of inventory. DI is so full of mechs that stop working over time, knowledgeable people run or ask for heavy discounts. The next 3 have JJP apologist trying to shill their used games hiding the best they can all the PF defects, along with many other issues. Many wise buyers in the second hand market now know there are huge reasons JJP abandoned warranties. Been there done that and it’s quite unnerving to have all kinds of money tied up in JJP lemons. Get out of the JJP mess now, while there are still suckers out there that don’t realize all this yet and the market cools down. When people start vacationing away from home again, JJP lemons are going to tank even more value wise.

Do you think we are in a bubble? How long til it pops?

#2047 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Very good questions. Once the economy faces all the coming hyperinflation, with unequal wages, watch out.

So you’re thinking hyperinflation will cause pin prices to fall? Interesting

#2096 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

The issue isnt JJP games, but rather the fact when they give you a defective product (countless Wonkas, GNRs, etc.) they give zero fucks as to making it right.
I would encourage everyone to only buy used JJP games until they actually stand behind their product.
JJP - fix this shit, give Stern a reason to give a fuck, it isnt rocket science.

I had a playfield issue and my distro and JJP made me 100% happy.

Barry went above and beyond and Jason my distro went above and beyond.

#2098 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

So, what was the issue? What did Barry and Jason do to rectify it?

A small chip on my playfield. Got a free new playfield (I did agree to pay the shipping) and then Barry send me a couple new pieces of invisaglass for my troubles on another issue I had.

#2105 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Now this is not good on JJP ,You coming here telling other CE buyers that we are Nothing, we are not as important as you and your Game is Warrantied and ours is not. I am sure my money and yours is the same > WHAT THE F is going on here. ? Let the floodgates open and let us all Get Warrantied . WTF is this really?.
Happy for you and What a bunch of Bullshit that this is the way JJP Barry helps who the F he wants and fks others. This is not good for Ethics.
Ethics one OH One 101 Treat all equal. Now look at this Bullshit .
Way to ruin my morning. F You JJP>

I agree with you 100%

JJP and Barry should be taking care of every bad playfield!

#2107 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Just sent Barry a Doozie of an Email.
Not that it will matter most likely .
Funny my money is not the same as yours.

I resisted doing that and it was very tough to do. I keep all my communications polite and professional.

I sincerely hope you are made 100% whole.

#2115 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I will say I thought topic was GNR playfield, thanks for pointing that out, my mistake.

I should have mentioned that but thought it was about JJP playfields but can see it has kinda transformed into G&R problems. Sorry

#2155 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

We are paying huge prices for JJP bad quality products and sub tier old license IPs. And we are paying the highest prices in the industry for those moronic privileges. Will we ever learn???

We have learned pins are fun lets spend lots of money!!!!

#2203 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Unbelievable that people are still willing to sacrifice their hard earned money,

ROTFLMAO

#2248 2 years ago

My distro honestly told me today. Chips, pooling, flaking, art lifting and you are on your own zero will be done about it. Then asked would you like your money back or machine delivered?

At least it up front now buyer beware.

#2250 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

If your distro is who I think it is, then he's a smart man for telling you that up front. He's more connected to the problem than most, that's for sure.

Jason at Classis. Great guy, great price, great service, honest.

#2260 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Did you ask for your money back? did it include the non-refundable deposit?

He said I could get every penny back including my deposit.

I said set up for delivery Tuesday please I am out of town this week. My wife said who cares what happens to the playfield is it fun? So yep buying a game that use to have a self destruting playfield. I am so happy not many reports of bad playfields of recent.

4 months later
#2503 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

As I understand, many of the classic NOS PFs floating around were not suitable for use in the original runs... but at some point were acquired, and now being sold as NOS, but sometimes contain small imperfections.
It is too bad JJP is not more transparent (NPI), about the whole PF thing. Such a PR nightmare that I can't imagine how it could have been handled any worse.

Toy story sold out CE’s already?

1 week later
#2525 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

And while you sit on the sidelines the CEs will sell out.

If the 15k rumor is true I do not think they will sell out, unless it is like limited to 500 then maybe, but at 1,000 hmmm I don't think so.

You?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 64.00
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnTTwo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields?tu=JohnTTwo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.