(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 52.
#2351 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I got a Micro Funhouse.

Quoted from Bundy:

Why is this so hard for people to get right? His name is Mirco. Given all the talk about his playfields one would assume his name was known by now

I've heard rumors about this kind of thing happening .. It's not people, it's the machines. They're out to get us... They think they're smarter than us, and maybe someday they will be....

2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
#2352 2 years ago

It was a simple typo. I know it’s Mirco.

#2353 2 years ago
Quoted from Bundy:

Why is this so hard for people to get right? His name is Mirco. Given all the talk about his playfields one would assume his name was known by now

Is this Lars Micro my old hockey league buddy?

#2354 2 years ago

Many confuse Mirco with the former Table Soccer/Foosball manufacturer.

#2355 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

That explains it Nevermind

#2356 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

And MircoSoft.

#2357 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just got the game fully unboxed and on its legs. The build date just says 7/21 on the cabinet, no exact build date by the day (first JJP game I've seen like this). I don't see a build date stamp anywhere on the front of the playfield. Maybe the latest build playfields are no longer stamped? Havent played a ball yet on the game, more stuff to do (mods lol).
The playfield looks gorgeous and I hope it stays that way. I see 9 posts so far with black washers. 5 are near the bottom of the playfield, one near the upper area of the shooter lane, 2 near the pops, and 1 on the upper playfield.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

PanzerFreak hows your PF holding up? Did you change out any stock posts from this July build?

#2358 2 years ago

Just watched the Expo JJP seminar again. Oddly not one question or concern from Anyone about playfields lol. Tougher without a keyboard or was this concern not an issue? Basically just a reminder “you guys are great, consider making 3000 CEs next time.” Lol

#2359 2 years ago

Watched it also. To bad I’m not there. As S.W.A.T had to get me out of the room...... owners fault jack? Have a taste of a good old QC controlled woody PF

#2360 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

PanzerFreak hows your PF holding up? Did you change out any stock posts from this July build?

It's holding up grest so far, no issues, hopefully it stays that way. July build with the latest washer / post combo.

#2361 2 years ago

Got my October build Wonka and no issues.

#2362 2 years ago

Have a July build as well and no issues with the pf. I will say I think the clear coat is a bit thinner but still shines up like most of my games. In fact it looks similar to my Dialed In pf with hundred of games and no issues.

#2363 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Got my October build Wonka and no issues.

That's great to hear, have been heavily considering buying a Wonka from this final run.

#2364 2 years ago

I have an AIQ (Stern) and WE (JJP). I know playfields have been an issue but JJP all around seems to be higher quality product by far. I love them both.

#2365 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I have an AIQ (Stern) and WE (JJP). I know playfields have been an issue but JJP all around seems to be higher quality product by far. I love them both.

Jjp feels more solid but I have put hours Into getting GnR in shape and almost nothing into 3 stern games. They just played out of the box.

#2366 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

It may seem like it is, but I would argue they are not

#2367 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

It may seem like it is, but I would argue they are not

Wow man are you a politician?

#2368 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Wow mec es-tu un politicien?

I'm neither for nor against, on the contrary

#2369 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Jjp feels more solid but I have put hours Into getting GnR in shape and almost nothing into 3 stern games. They just played out of the box.

Some design choices in the control electronic of my DialedIn LE really baffles me. Compared to Stern or even Pinball Brothers (I just looked at the design of the Alien remake), I would on contrary argue that it's not designed for longevity, at least this portion.

If it were, they would not have used a consumer type PC motherboard with a consumer type PC graphics board, plugged in a vertical position. It will fail eventually. And no you just can't change the motherboard and the graphics board, the embedded Linux distribution is tied to the HW, so unless JJP provides SW maintenance to allow for support of newer motherboard and graphics board, or somebody hack their distribution, you will be toast if the motherboard dies (not to mention they likely have a custom sbios)

#2370 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Some design choices in the control electronic of my DialedIn LE really baffles me. Compared to Stern or even Pinball Brothers (I just looked at the design of the Alien remake), I would on contrary argue that it's not designed for longevity, at least this portion.
If it were, they would not have used a consumer type PC motherboard with a consumer type PC graphics board, plugged in a vertical position. It will fail eventually. And no you just can't change the motherboard and the graphics board, the embedded Linux distribution is tied to the HW, so unless JJP provides SW maintenance to allow for support of newer motherboard and graphics board, or somebody hack their distribution, you will be toast if the motherboard dies (not to mention they likely have a custom sbios)

I tend to agree - but don't think may others do
JJP threw a PC in there
Stern has boards designed for a pinball machine

#2371 2 years ago

which is why jjp are Better Quality as far as pinball goes and more expensive and heavier ..well was more expensive
now that Stern thinks the LE's are worth 10800 for a Homepin with a coin door ,Upgraded Playfield and Screen and over 6k for a Pro which again a stripped LE Homepin with upgrade, lol
. Just look how many new Godzillas are having issues. Yes Great looking game. great theme ,But Out of the park expensive for what it is .. What was a transformers / star wars home pin price under 3 k?
Put a Better PF /LCD add coin door and bump the price 2 fold...lol ... Keep buying . Me , no more. I will have quarters on hand and go play somewhere and let others Pay these Gouged prices /.
The Playfield from Mirco Sucks however . looks great until it starts it Self destruction from normal plays in the play areas / the washers are not a solution .

JJP threw a PC in there

#2372 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

which is why jjp are Better Quality

yup ... sure

#2373 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

which is why jjp are Better Quality as far as pinball goes and more expensive and heavier ..well was more expensive
now that Stern thinks the LE's are worth 10800 for a Homepin with a coin door ,Upgraded Playfield and Screen and over 6k for a Pro which again a stripped LE Homepin with upgrade, lol
. Just look how many new Godzillas are having issues. Yes Great looking game. great theme ,But Out of the park expensive for what it is .. What was a transformers / star wars home pin price under 3 k?
Put a Better PF /LCD add coin door and bump the price 2 fold...lol ... Keep buying . Me , no more. I will have quarters on hand and go play somewhere and let others Pay these Gouged prices /.
The Playfield from Mirco Sucks however . looks great until it starts it Self destruction from normal plays in the play areas / the washers are not a solution .

#2374 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

which is why jjp are Better Quality as far as pinball goes and more expensive and heavier

JJP fanboys are always making the argument that weight = quality.

#2375 2 years ago

JJP did not make the PF . and that is the Only Issue..

Fanboy of JJP= Not likely . My first and last JJP due to Warranty

Quoted from Palmer:

JJP fanboys are always making the argument that weight = quality.

Talk out your Bazzooo . Make claims i am a Fanboy..Lol Fake News man

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2376 2 years ago

JJP threw a PC in there

Well Pinball Brothers also put a PC, but at least it's an industrial grade box. Their design architecture is probably more expensive than Stern, but they could not afford very likely a custom design like Stern did (who is using NXP if I recall), so a PC was their best bet. Although god knows I think a PC is not suitable for this type of application, at least they did their homework in terms of reliability. For their first (well one would argue their second) it's not a bad accomplishment.

Really wonder, does JJP still use consumer grade motherboard for GnR?

#2377 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Just look how many new Godzillas are having issues.

WTF are you talking about? I've been following the GZ owners thread, and have seen very few issues...???

#2378 2 years ago

Look, a POTC with 8000 thousand plays, this made me laugh.
Surprisingly it has no mechanical issues, but the playfield is completely done for.
It looks less bad on the picture, but it has a deep crater where the ball drops, through the print, far in the wood.

Mirco’s wood and print is completely inferior to those if the WPC95 era. I don’t remember ever seeing a game in this bad shape on the inlanes.
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg

2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg

Around the slings also heavy chipping and pooling.
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpegEDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg

#2379 2 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Look, a POTC with 8000 thousand plays, this made me laugh.
Surprisingly it has no mechanical issues, but the playfield is completely done for.
It looks less bad on the picture, but it has a deep crater where the ball drops, through the print, far in the wood.
Mirco’s wood and print is completely inferior to those if the WPC95 era. I don’t remember ever seeing a game in this bad shape on the inlanes.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Around the slings also heavy chipping and pooling.
[quoted image]

Wonkas suffer at these drops too. I recommend the Cliffy inlane protectors for the drops on both games.

#2380 2 years ago

Having the ball drop directly onto the switch cutout is poor playfield design plain and simple. Stern has some games that do this too and it makes zero sense every time I see it. The ball should drop onto a square of extra thick mylar then roll over the switch area. Also, the switch hole should be surrounded by mylar even if the ball is not dropping directly onto it. 6000 plays or not, the hole in that playfield is the game designer's fault along with whoever decided not to install mylar in that area.

I've had games with drops like that and always put in the Cliffy switch protectors as close to day one as possible.

#2381 2 years ago

Yep bad design when the ball drops on the switch slot like that.. I've seen it wear all brands of 90s pins and newer sterns also.... so it just doesn't happen to jjp stuff. I always use a cliffy or mylar when a game is designed like that to prevent issues . Some game designers seem to do this more than others ex are pat l and john b seem.to do it a good bit.

#2382 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Wonkas suffer at these drops too. I recommend the Cliffy inlane protectors for the drops on both games.

I may be in the minority with this opinion but I HATE those inlane Cliffys, always affects the ball and often leads to ball hangs you have to nudge out.

#2383 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I may be in the minority with this opinion but I HATE those inlane Cliffys, always affects the ball and often leads to ball hangs you have to nudge out.

I use them on all of my games... never had a single issue. You must not have installed them correctly?

#2384 2 years ago

hmmm so you guys say it’s more of a game design flaw than a playfield issue… I never realised ball drops before the switch on most other games.

#2385 2 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

hmmm so you guys say it’s more of a game design flaw than a playfield issue… I never realised ball drops before the switch on most other games.

Not sure this would be a design or playfield issue. As noted this game has 8000 plays so Guessing how many times it rolled down that right lane the ball likely dropped off that ramp over 20,000 plus times. A ball dropping on an spot of wood that many times could easily hammer a dimple into the paint or wood. A spot of mylar would help but its steel metal vs wood.

#2386 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I use them on all of my games... never had a single issue. You must not have installed them correctly?

I've never installed them on any game but two locations I play at have them and they suck in my opinion. I won't even play the Dialed In with them because they have the tilt set super tight and like clockwork if I start to have a good game a ball will hand on one and I will end up tilting to get it free.

#2387 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It depends on how you install them. I found that one orientation caused ball hangs and flipping 180 stopped them.

#2388 2 years ago

Have inlane cliffys 6 machines and only once I saw a ball hang up.

#2389 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It depends on how you install them. I found that one orientation caused ball hangs and flipping 180 stopped them.

I'm almost certain you've said which orientation before but I'm lazy and searching is hard... Slot up or down?

Jeff

#2390 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've never installed them on any game but two locations I play at have them and they suck in my opinion. I won't even play the Dialed In with them because they have the tilt set super tight and like clockwork if I start to have a good game a ball will hand on one and I will end up tilting to get it free.

They didn't install them correctly... that shouldn't happen

#2391 2 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Yeah I never noticed or paid attention to this until I got Metallica Premium and the ball literally drops right on the switch. After that I started looking around my own game room and online and most games drop the ball on a flat spot covered by extra thick mylar rather than dropping directly on the switch. If you think about it the switch spot basically has two edges that are going to rapidly get beaten up compared to just having the ball drop on a nice flat, protected spot and rolling over the switch slot. Since then I tend to look at every game I see and there is a dramatic increase in damage over time on games with this design flaw.

#2392 2 years ago

Any one have issues with The Hobbit and pooling?

#2393 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Any one have issues with The Hobbit and pooling?

Not that I’ve heard of on Pinside.
It started with Pirates

#2394 2 years ago

JJP threw a PC in there

Having a full PC allows us to do a lot more than we could otherwise.

#2395 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

We do provide SW maintenance. Every game we've released (except GNR) is currently running on a newer OS than it was originally released with, if you do an update.

#2396 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:Any one have issues with The Hobbit and pooling?

My LE only has dimpling. Otherwise, super nice.

#2397 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_light:

Having a full PC allows us to do a lot more than we could otherwise.

Can you elaborate on that?
Stern's hardware doesn't seem to restrict them

#2398 2 years ago

Can you elaborate on that?
Stern's hardware doesn't seem to restrict them

He "could" and it was a fair question until your apparently pointed comment... Crickets for you.

#2399 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

He "could" and it was a fair question until your apparently pointed comment... Crickets for you.

No shit some are on a search and destroy JJP mission!

#2400 2 years ago

I think JJP did that on their own

FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpegFB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,400 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.99
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 11,000.00
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

8,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendora, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields/page/48?hl=md2020 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.