(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 52.
#2001 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Like my wife said "will you have fun playing it" I love looking at perfect stuff and my OCD can be bad, I am mentally just looking at this like a toy.

Yeah, honestly I don't see why anyone would want to shit on your parade. My game has some pooling, and it does upset me, but at the end of the day it has 2500 games of enjoyment on it. I do think JJP is handling it like shit though.

#2002 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Unbelievable that anyone in their right mind would consider paying for a faulty product that would and should be covered under any other companies warranty. If Stern tried this terrible policy, everyone would be up in arms and call for a boycott. Yet the JJP apologist, just roll over and take it. Is any pinball machine made by anyone worth groveling before a manufacturer, because you so badly want their pinball fix??? Pathetic people, if that’s the case.

Refer to post 1996 ^^^^^^

#2003 2 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Yeah, honestly I don't see why anyone would want to shit on your parade. My game has some pooling, and it does upset me, but at the end of the day it has 2500 games of enjoyment on it. I do think JJP is handling it like shit though.

I agree, It all depends on your tolerance level
Some people can buy and play and not give 2 shits - more power to them!
For me, the fun doesn't outweigh having to look at that crap every time I play - especially with the availability of other great games without PF issues

and I am always open to buying a used game I can inspect down the line if I really want one that bad

#2004 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

For me, the fun doesn't outweigh having to look at that crap every time I play - especially with the availability of other great games without PF issues
and I am always open to buying a used game I can inspect down the line if I really want one that bad

I would add that anyone letting it get to the point of "having to look at that crap" implies they aren't willing, won't or can't put in the time the pin may require to prevent, inspect, stabilize and potentially fix anything that comes up.
Anyone that has 1000+ plays without it "looking like crap" didn't get there just by only playing it. They put in the time with eyes wide open using all the great experience and information gathered by the GnR owners & dedicated community here on pinside over the last year.

I've said it before, the Risk vs. Reward experience is in the DNA of this game. Definitely not for everyone, which I believe is your point, and so I agree with you on that.

#2005 2 years ago

I'm ramping up to buy my second NIB and I still want a GNR badly, but I just refuse to buy one with these issues and the way they treat their customers. Most likely Stern will be getting my money again

#2006 2 years ago

I'm guessing this is all driven by resale value? I'm not knocking you, but I think the root cause of everyone's angst over these playfield issues comes down to dollars and cents.

#2007 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm guessing this is all driven by resale value? I'm not knocking you, but I think the root cause of everyone's angst over these playfield issues comes down to dollars and cents.

Nope. Show me a JJP that's not selling for more than the original MSRP.

#2008 2 years ago

What is the current batch of JJP GnR looking like? I have an invoice at the old price, but haven't paid it yet...Bought GZLE instead but thinking maybe I'll replace my DICE with GnRLE.

#2009 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Dialed In, which is crazy because it's a much better game than WoZ, Hobbit, Wonka (I can't speak for GnR).

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#2010 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

If Stern tried this terrible policy, everyone would be up in arms and call for a boycott.

Do you really think this would be the case? It would be exactly the same whether it's JJP or Stern.

#2011 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

What is the current batch of JJP GnR looking like? I have an invoice at the old price, but haven't paid it yet...Bought GZLE instead but thinking maybe I'll replace my DICE with GnRLE.

When this question comes up I always think to myself, have you played it? Do you like GNR music?
If you've never played it that should be the first thing you do on location somewhere, and if you don't like GNR music I'm not sure you'll ever really love this pin especially with the maintenance that it does require. That's the way I feel about iron maiden. If GNR had been released in all its glory with iron maiden as a theme I don't care how great it is I wouldn't buy it.

So anyway onto your question.... And my opinion....
It's a huge difference from the first batch during the spring of this year. There's a combination of many things such as the knowledge of what was contributing to the problems, improved processes in production at JJP, etc.
But we're one year later from launch now, thousands of these have been shipped and the community is really embraced and experienced turning the lemons into lemonade through trial and error and troubleshooting.
JJP monitors this community and It's proven by changes in their production line, so as much hate as there is from some people they do get credit for improving their production processes to mitigate the problems and as a result I think it's gotten pretty quiet from GNR owners that have received product after around July time frame. Step still need to be taken, post torques still need to be checked, Maybe swap out some posts add some PETG washers, the normal stuff you'll read on the owner's thread in the key posts. Etc etc
I'm not saying you can just expect to take it out of the box and play it forever And have it retain it to museum quality, but you can take it out of the box and enjoy playing it immediately And if you care you can put the effort towards doing preventive maintenance in the beginning, or take the approach where you are inspecting regularly and resolving any issues that develop before they become a real problem.

Your head's in the sand if you think GNR is not going to be a little higher maintenance, but risk versus reward, it's an awesome pin. As dirty harry once said, a man's got to know his limitations. We have owners that have taken these steps and are thousands of plays in with no further issues.

If you don't care about your playfield you can play it like you stole it And live happily ever after. If you want to do your part to keep your play field as beautiful as possible You'll either have to do the work yourself or pay someone to do it.
The last option that is often discussed is that the GNR run is completing at the end of summer 2022. I believe they're currently taking orders for spare play fields and spare upper play fields so that may fit into your contingency plan in the distant future when this pin is worth double or more what you paid for it if you can include a new play field...
Could be considered insurance, or just a smart investment for about 700 bucks. Especially if you have a CE.

#2012 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If everything else wasn't selling crazy high, you might have some smidge of a point, but I think you're missing the point.

#2013 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

When this question comes up I always think to myself, have you played it? Do you like GNR music?
If you've never played it that should be the first thing you do on location somewhere, and if you don't like GNR music I'm not sure you'll ever really love this pin especially with the maintenance that it does require. That's the way I feel about iron maiden. If GNR had been released in all its glory with iron maiden as a theme I don't care how great it is I wouldn't buy it.
So anyway onto your question.... And my opinion....
It's a huge difference from the first batch during the spring of this year. There's a combination of many things such as the knowledge of what was contributing to the problems, improved processes in production at JJP, etc.
But we're one year later from launch now, thousands of these have been shipped and the community is really embraced and experienced turning the lemons into lemonade through trial and error and troubleshooting.
JJP monitors this community and It's proven by changes in their production line, so as much hate as there is from some people they do get credit for improving their production processes to mitigate the problems and as a result I think it's gotten pretty quiet from GNR owners that have received product after around July time frame. Step still need to be taken, post torques still need to be checked, Maybe swap out some posts add some PETG washers, the normal stuff you'll read on the owner's thread in the key posts. Etc etc
I'm not saying you can just expect to take it out of the box and play it forever And have it retain it to museum quality, but you can take it out of the box and enjoy playing it immediately And if you care you can put the effort towards doing preventive maintenance in the beginning, or take the approach where you are inspecting regularly and resolving any issues that develop before they become a real problem.
Your head's in the sand if you think GNR is not going to be a little higher maintenance, but risk versus reward, it's an awesome pin. As dirty harry once said, a man's got to know his limitations. We have owners that have taken these steps and are thousands of plays in with no further issues.
If you don't care about your playfield you can play it like you stole it And live happily ever after. If you want to do your part to keep your play field as beautiful as possible You'll either have to do the work yourself or pay someone to do it.
The last option that is often discussed is that the GNR run is completing at the end of summer 2022. I believe they're currently taking orders for spare play fields and spare upper play fields so that may fit into your contingency plan in the distant future when this pin is worth double or more what you paid for it if you can include a new play field...
Could be considered insurance, or just a smart investment for about 700 bucks. Especially if you have a CE.

Thanks for the detailed response! Yes, I've played the CE and LE. It is certainly one of the most beautiful pins out there. I'm not a huge GnR fan, for instance during Live and Let Die, I wish it were Paul McCartney singing. Definitely like them. It is a really good game from the limited time I've had on it. I’m not that concerned about the playfield at this point, been there, done that with POTCs, and with the backup playfield option. I’ll probably go for it and take the usual precautions.

#2014 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

GNRLEs can be found under 10k, MSRP is 10,500

#2015 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Yet over a thousand were sold at 9500 MSRP. Likely more.

#2016 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yet over a thousand were sold at 9500 MSRP. Likely more.

Splitting hairs there, the point being is you can now buy a used one cheaper than new.

#2017 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Splitting hairs there, the point being is you can now buy a used one cheaper than new.

In that case I’ll take two!

#2018 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

In that case I’ll take two!

You just missed one for $9800

#2019 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

You win the prize.
I knew someone would fall for that subtle but important detail in zaphX intentional wording when I read it.

The "original MSRP" is $9500. Keyword: original. The difference between being right or wrong .

#2020 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

You win the prize.
I knew someone would fall for that subtle but important detail in zaphX intentional wording when I read it.
The "original MSRP" is $9500. Keyword: original. The difference between being right or wrong .

Haha, well I guess technically we’re both wrong as you can easily find DIs under “original” MSRP.

#2021 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Could not care any less about resale value

What I care about is my sanity - and looking at a pooling, peeling, cracking PF every time I go to play the game would drive me nuts
I am not OCD but just can't deal with a PF falling apart with ZERO manufacturer support

#2022 2 years ago

What I care about is my sanity - and looking at a pooling, peeling, cracking PF every time I go to play the game would drive me nuts
I am not OCD but just can't deal with a PF falling apart with ZERO manufacturer support

Agreed! A word to the wise. Don’t anyone kid themselves, at these insanely high JJP MSRP prices, poor quality drives everyone crazy. And yes, JJP machines don’t hold value worth a ding dong. WOZ is difficult to sell, if anyone knows it’s history. Hobbit is so lackluster I know many distributors had to discount it to get rid of inventory. DI is so full of mechs that stop working over time, knowledgeable people run or ask for heavy discounts. The next 3 have JJP apologist trying to shill their used games hiding the best they can all the PF defects, along with many other issues. Many wise buyers in the second hand market now know there are huge reasons JJP abandoned warranties. Been there done that and it’s quite unnerving to have all kinds of money tied up in JJP lemons. Get out of the JJP mess now, while there are still suckers out there that don’t realize all this yet and the market cools down. When people start vacationing away from home again, JJP lemons are going to tank even more value wise.

#2023 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

DI is so full of mechs that stop working over time, knowledgeable people run or ask for heavy discounts.

WTF are you talking about? I've owned Dialed In for 4 years and my mechs all work fine. I've followed the DI Owners thread for years and the issues are pretty minimal. You are such an anti-JJP troll.

#2024 2 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

WTF are you talking about? I've owned Dialed In for 4 years and my mechs all work fine. I've followed the DI Owners thread for years and the issues are pretty minimal. You are such an anti-JJP troll.

Complete denial and name calling doesn’t evade the facts. The list is huge of failed drones, bob’s arcade under station pop up stops working. Quantum theater mech issues galore. Phone LEDs & screen stop working. Bob the builder trapping ball behind mech issues and stops going back and forth. Betty’s diverter arm stops working properly. The list goes on and on. You were lucky with little issues.

#2025 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Agreed! A word to the wise. Don’t anyone kid themselves, at these insanely high JJP MSRP prices, poor quality drives everyone crazy. And yes, JJP machines don’t hold value worth a ding dong. WOZ is difficult to sell, if anyone knows it’s history. Hobbit is so lackluster I know many distributors had to discount it to get rid of inventory. DI is so full of mechs that stop working over time, knowledgeable people run or ask for heavy discounts. The next 3 have JJP apologist trying to shill their used games hiding the best they can all the PF defects, along with many other issues. Many wise buyers in the second hand market now know there are huge reasons JJP abandoned warranties. Been there done that and it’s quite unnerving to have all kinds of money tied up in JJP lemons. Get out of the JJP mess now, while there are still suckers out there that don’t realize all this yet and the market cools down. When people start vacationing away from home again, JJP lemons are going to tank even more value wise.

Do you think we are in a bubble? How long til it pops?

#2026 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Complete denial. The list is huge of failed drones, bob’s arcade under station pop up stops working. Quantum theater mech issues. Phone LEDs stop working. Bob the builder trapping ball behind mech issues. The list goes on and on. You were lucky with little issues.

I task you to work through the owners threads of all games (from all manufacturers) within the last 10 years and compile the number of issues by game (please also include the issue and number of people who had that specific issue). Then we can have some real data to support your claims. Thank you.

#2027 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Do you think we are in a bubble? How long til it pops?

Very good questions. Once the economy faces all the coming hyperinflation, with unequal wages, watch out.

#2028 2 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I task you to work through the owners threads of all games (from all manufacturers) within the last 10 years and compile the number of issues by game (please also include the issue and number of people who had that specific issue). Then we can have some real data to support your claims. Thank you.

That would be an interesting but timely task to pursue. JJP threads are so loaded with real world pinball problems. Look no further than JJP, they know the negative data so well, they won’t honor warranties any longer. Along with a lack of JJP customer support. That is the biggest telltale data of all!

#2029 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Complete denial and name calling doesn’t evade the facts. The list is huge of failed drones, bob’s arcade under station pop up stops working. Quantum theater mech issues galore. Phone LEDs & screen stop working. Bob the builder trapping ball behind mech issues and stops going back and forth. Betty’s diverter arm stops working properly. The list goes on and on. You were lucky with little issues.

Go away C.S

#2030 2 years ago

Every time... Falling apart... My Sanity.... Drive me nuts... Can't deal....

But...

I'm not ocd..

Over exaggeration, yes, drama queen, a bit maybe.

The reality is that it's completely manageable for most, but for you, sir, you can't see that so this pin is definitely NOT for you. Glad you know it. Props for that.

#2031 2 years ago

JJP may have not fixed the Micro PF issues, but they did raise the price on both Wonka & GNR LE to $11K. And you know who’s fault that is right?

977DA5CF-69B4-4BE3-8B2C-51E4C41B8194 (resized).jpeg977DA5CF-69B4-4BE3-8B2C-51E4C41B8194 (resized).jpeg
#2032 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

WOZ is difficult to sell, if anyone knows it’s history.

This is wrong. I have an ECLE with all the Gouveia mods, and I'm pretty sure I could sell just his mods for 2k. The machine is rock solid (after replacing all the lights twice within the first year back in 2014), and there are no mechanical or electrical problems at all. That's ancient history at this point.

(And yes...the playfield is still perfect as well!)

#2033 2 years ago

Any owners have chipping or pooling issues with their WOZ? I don't remember having any problems when I owned it.

#2034 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Any owners have chipping or pooling issues with their WOZ? I don't remember having any problems when I owned it.

None.

#2035 2 years ago

Well, just put the OZ PF in a GNR. Problem Solved

#2036 2 years ago

I now have GNR’s in stock if anyone is interested PM me.

#2037 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Well, just put the OZ PF in a GNR. Problem Solved

You can't; you'll offend all the homophobic GNR fans.

#2038 2 years ago

I don't get it, they were Mirco also.

#2039 2 years ago

I believe he has “upgraded” the process since WoZ

#2040 2 years ago

This thread has me worried for my incoming Wonka. Snagged one from the new run. How many Wonka owners are not experiencing issues?

#2041 2 years ago

This thread has me worried for my incoming Wonka. Snagged one from the new run. How many Wonka owners are not experiencing issues?

None of the new run has been delivered yet, if it’s a game you really like I wouldn’t worry about it too much, chances are you’ll get a good one and if not, there is fixes for it. You’ll get your money back or close to it when/if you decide to sell.

#2042 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

None of the new run has been delivered yet, if it’s a game you really like I wouldn’t worry about it too much, chances are you’ll get a good one and if not, there is fixes for it. You’ll get your money back or close to it when/if you decide to sell.

Distro thinks 1 to 2 months for delivery.

#2043 2 years ago
Quoted from abelelectronics:

I now have GNR’s in stock if anyone is interested PM me.

This is not the thread you're looking for.

#2044 2 years ago

Salesman of the year selling the same brand leaky boat to the people that are under water in it

4BABBD7A-D8A8-4B5E-B611-C532E4BA07E8.gif4BABBD7A-D8A8-4B5E-B611-C532E4BA07E8.gif
#2045 2 years ago

I heard a rumor that JJP will let you purchase a brand new playfield at cost. Is this true or only a rumor?

#2046 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I believe he has “upgraded” the process since WoZ

Yep here is the proof.

Screenshot_20210929-204636_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210929-204636_Chrome (resized).jpg
#2047 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Very good questions. Once the economy faces all the coming hyperinflation, with unequal wages, watch out.

So you’re thinking hyperinflation will cause pin prices to fall? Interesting

#2048 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So you’re thinking hyperinflation will cause pin prices to fall? Interesting

Come on, that’s just plain silly. It’s the fact that hyperinflation might create such an out of reach ceiling for most people that prices actually do come down, because fewer sales during inflationary times. When supply increases via stagnate sales, prices naturally come down. Law of supply and demand. Or the money supply is re-evaluated. Lack of fiat velocity during diminished buying power creates price softening.

#2049 2 years ago

From all the people I know, those not experiencing issues would be about zero.

PCprogrammer: Do you have little children? Willy Wonka is such a little child’s delight, besides the troublesome shooter it is for adults. My friend’s WW is nothing but trouble, but his little children squeal with joy over the little kiddie candy theme. It’s kind of like the “CandyLand” of kiddie pinball. Beware WW has many problematic issues to resolve and good luck working on them when it arrives. JJP fanboys love working on their machines as much as playing them is what a distributor told me. I prefer playing to being a JJP pinball mechanic and constant trouble shooter.

#2050 2 years ago

There were some issues with early WOZ playfields.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 11,000.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.