(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 52.
#1851 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

no dude you don't get it, see if you just constantly post the same pictures where you're super zoomed in and the light is shining in just the right direction and angle and mars is in retrograde on a tuesday in spring you'll see a bunch of dimples on a stern! SEE? JUNK! The exact same thing as pieces of art the size of the titanic flaking off after a couple hundred plays. Bring back diamondplate!!! Those never wore or had dimples I have a junkyard and ITS STILL SMOOTH AS GLASS after infinity billion trillion plays!!!1! Yup they don't make em like they used to I tell ya hwat. STUPID EPA BANNING ALL THE GOOD STUFF!!!!!!

Smoooooooooth as glass my friend.

Screenshot_20210908-162529_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210908-162529_Gallery (resized).jpg

Then you have this super zoomed in pic that I see here all the time. Looks similar to me, just more zoomed in:
e022232343d94642c09d051b8fc0f66fccbffa67 (resized).jpge022232343d94642c09d051b8fc0f66fccbffa67 (resized).jpg

I'll take BOTH of these over mirco train wreck flaking.

#1852 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Yup they don't make em like they used to I tell ya hwat. STUPID EPA BANNING ALL THE GOOD STUFF!!!!!!

I used to paint cars late 80s early 90s and yes, the acrylic clear is not what it used to be. I actually remember the texture and clarity also wasn’t as good when they banned it. Even with a good wet sand it was never as clear & durable. This makes 90s original PFs the platinum standard and curious when people will start marketing & touting this on pin sales. My Indy is shiny and perfect. The acrylics were deadly tho, I quit painting after my left eye started having spasms after a booth spray. Quality comes at a cost

#1853 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

I used to paint cars late 80s early 90s and yes, the acrylic clear is not what it used to be. I actually remember the texture and clarity also wasn’t as good when they banned it. Even with a good wet sand it was never as clear & durable. This makes 90s original PFs the platinum standard and curious when people will start marketing & touting this on pin sales. My Indy is shiny and perfect. The acrylics were deadly tho, I quit painting after my left eye started having spasms after a booth spray. Quality comes at a cost

Now Chaka don't lie. You only saw the 80s on TV!

#1854 2 years ago

You keep forgetting the waterfall is a time machine

6AAF6D83-1F60-4CF8-88D4-8FDA2E565386.gif6AAF6D83-1F60-4CF8-88D4-8FDA2E565386.gif
#1855 2 years ago

You keep forgetting the waterfall is a time machine
[quoted image]

Oh snap, Right!

Daddy do something!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I have all the seasons of that series on DVD. Love it!

#1856 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

i hope a mass of people talk about this and bring it up over and over ..The product is falling apart and they will promote themselves as do gooders as so many have no warranty through JJP on the crap they supplied ..
Falling apart after 200 plays is crap
a great artful Sparkly looking piece of crap but crap none the less..
To bad They do not take calls on the Phone or internet ,They would get the same What is up With your Crap is the question?

Good point, we need to talk about this till enough people are aware to avoid being sucked into the next JJP new shiny, as it will surely have all these same issues, just like the last 4 games have had.

#1857 2 years ago

Interesting on the GnR owners thread how some are posting that the PFs are fixed or better now, and on the same page others are posting pics of pooling and artwork tearing under the JJP black washers.

#1858 2 years ago

i am not buying the PF's are fixed part . That would mean their was actually a problem .. ha

Quoted from arzoo:Interesting on the GnR owners thread how some are posting that the PFs are fixed or better now, and on the same page others are posting pics of pooling and artwork tearing under the JJP black washers.

#1859 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

i am not buying the PF's are fixed part . That would mean their was actually a problem .. ha

I've heard from a reliable source that all GnR PFs have already been supplied to JJP, so not likely anything has been fixed.

#1860 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Good point, we need to talk about this till enough people are aware to avoid being sucked into the next JJP new shiny, as it will surely have all these same issues, just like the last 4 games have had.

If you think your rants will stop sales, you’re wrong.

#1861 2 years ago

Maybe JJP plucked Steve away to get access to Sterns internal processes, like playfields? Stern isn't perfect with playfields, but they are leagues ahead of JJP.

#1862 2 years ago

I think the most sad part is the destruction of great games. It´s like if picasso insisted on doing all his masterpieces on toiletpaper.

#1863 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

no dude you don't get it, see if you just constantly post the same pictures where you're super zoomed in and the light is shining in just the right direction and angle and mars is in retrograde on a tuesday in spring you'll see a bunch of dimples on a stern! SEE? JUNK! The exact same thing as pieces of art the size of the titanic flaking off after a couple hundred plays. Bring back diamondplate!!! Those never wore or had dimples I have a junkyard and ITS STILL SMOOTH AS GLASS after infinity billion trillion plays!!!1! Yup they don't make em like they used to I tell ya hwat. STUPID EPA BANNING ALL THE GOOD STUFF!!!!!!

fwiw this was meant as extreme sarcasm

Yes that was a transitional period and a lot of that stuff sucked. I am always reminded of the 3rd gen F-bodies that got the new water based paint and had sheets of paint flaking off and/or hella damaged clear by the mid 90's. Things have changed a lot since then though.

When somebody can make a clear thats harder than a carbon steel ball and won't flex into the even softer substrate below it though, let me know. Until then, its gonna be dimple time.

#1864 2 years ago

Here's how JJP used to make their playfields. This was a point of pride for them at one time.

#1865 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Here's how JJP used to make their playfields. This was a point of pride for them at one time.

One thing that stood out at the end of the video was when he said “Playfields are the heart of our pinball machines.”

#1866 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

This is absolutely beautiful, I think you'll agree.

20210908_175238 (resized).jpg20210908_175238 (resized).jpg
#1867 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

This is absolutely beautiful, I think you'll agree.
[quoted image]

Customers fault, clearly you took the game out of the box and played it.

#1868 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

They already have .....
Maybe not his rant specifically, but the posting of issues on this forum directly stopped me from buying a GNR

#1869 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

They already have .....
Maybe not his rant specifically, but the posting of issues on this forum directly stopped me from buying a GNR

Well sure. It will stop some sales.

Me, I'm on the list for JJP7 CE already.

#1870 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

JJP is hoping the large majority of their customers are like you and don't give 2 shits about quality,
they seem to base their business model on it

I wish I had the customer base that JJP has.
Would be great to be able to send out poor quality products, have customers send me more money to pay for "the fix", and be knocking at my door to buy the next thing. I mean, can you ask for anything better? Really, my hats off to JJP. While every other company on the planet is trying their best to produce quality products, and fixing/replacing defective ones at their cost - JJP has figured out the magic formula. Bravo

#1871 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I agree w/ a few things he says because its true but Stern is NO better. They have their own issues that continue. The best built pins right now are Spooky and American.

#1872 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

WHY??? I have a ton of respect for you and all of the support you've provided the community on a number of games but... WHY???

Some things I just cannot wrap my head around and this is one of them...

Jeff

#1873 2 years ago

JJP is hoping the large majority of their customers are like you and don't give 2 shits about quality,
they seem to base their business model on it
I wish I had the customer base that JJP has.
Would be great to be able to send out poor quality products, have customers send me more money to pay for "the fix", and be knocking at my door to buy the next thing. I mean, can you ask for anything better? Really, my hats off to JJP. While every other company on the planet is trying their best to produce quality products, and fixing/replacing defective ones at their cost - JJP has figured out the magic formula. Bravo

I think this is more true for operators...where quality, price, and service are primary decision-making factors. I'm not so sure about the home-use only buyers/collectors, though.

JJP should care about quality because the home-use collector crowd can spend their money on other forms of entertainment, such as a different pinball machine, a new car, or a family vacation. However, pinball machines are a creative endeavor and that makes them somewhat unique, much like a movie or a piece of art. Some people are obviously drawn to it, regardless if others feel different. It's not like this is a widget or some other commodity. There is only one manufacturer that is producing Guns N' Roses (CE) . I don't think it's a magic formula. They have a unique and creative product that people are willing to purchase for various reasons and regardless of customer service or quality of product. Nevertheless, I think we can all agree that JJP can and should do better.

#1874 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

WHY??? I have a ton of respect for you and all of the support you've provided the community on a number of games but... WHY???
Some things I just cannot wrap my head around and this is one of them...
Jeff

I like playing the games, simple as that. They are not museum pieces for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#1875 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I like playing the games, simple as that. They are not museum pieces for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, they are not for me either - but I do like them to look nice and try and take care of them.
I don't obsess over dimples and other minor imperfections, but I just don't want to have to look at and deal with a chipping peeling playfield if I don't have to. And, I do not have to when there are other higher quality products that will make me just as happy.
Also the poor customer service others are reporting is a real turn off, I would rather give my money to a company like Spooky

End of the day, this thread is important to highlight the issues JJP has with it's products and customer service so others know what they are getting into.
Those that are aware and don't care - play and enjoy - but I will not be a customer.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1876 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Fair enough I suppose. For me it's not an issue of "museum pieces" but simple basic quality. For the prices being charged, I have an expectation of quality and I don't think that's unreasonable or out of line. Someone has to buy these pieces of junk NIB so people like me can buy the weeded out ones that aren't junk.

Jeff

#1877 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Fair enough I suppose. For me it's not an issue of "museum pieces" but simple basic quality. For the prices being charged, I have an expectation of quality and I don't think that's unreasonable or out of line. Someone has to buy these pieces of junk NIB so people like me can buy the weeded out ones that aren't junk.
Jeff

I hear you and respect that. For me, an extra $500 and a fun (to me) project to refresh it later is acceptable. Understand it's not for everyone.

#1878 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I hear you and respect that. For me, an extra $500 and a fun (to me) project to refresh it later is acceptable. Understand it's not for everyone.

Believe it or not, I totally get where you're coming from on that... If JJP would just freely offer a replacement PF when people have this issue then that'd be good enough for me. However, they've decided to try to obfuscate the issue and change their warranty accordingly...

Thanks,
Jeff

#1879 2 years ago

They already have .....

Same here.

Well, actually, I had already put a deposit down on a GnR LE with my distributor, but I canceled because of the PF issues.

#1880 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

For me, an extra $500 and a fun (to me) project to refresh it later is acceptable.

Now I know you are certifiable

Curious, what do you do when the $500 replacement PF starts pooling, peeling, and chipping - buy another?

#1881 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Nice to see Butch again!

I wonder if he's now glad to be away from this shit show.

#1882 2 years ago

Curious, what do you do when the $500 replacement PF starts pooling, peeling, and chipping - buy another?

No one ever installs those. It's only used as a security blanket when selling your game later on.

#1883 2 years ago

Personally, I will send the spare PF out to Ron Kruzman and have him fix it. With 75% of his business being fixing Mirco playfields, he knows what he's doing, and his work seems bulletproof once it's installed. Should I HAVE to do this to get a good playfield? No. Is that where we're at if I WANT that? Yes.

#1884 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Personally, I will send the spare PF out to Ron Kruzman and have him fix it. With 75% of his business being fixing Mirco playfields, he knows what he's doing, and his work seems bulletproof once it's installed. Should I HAVE to do this to get a good playfield? No. Is that where we're at if I WANT that? Yes.

What is that? Another grand?

#1885 2 years ago

In the current market, playfield concerns will doubtfully impact sales. Heck, deeproot proved you can literally sell vaporware, so if customers are willing to buy something that doesn't exist, they're going to be even more willing to throw cash at a physical asset with questionable quality and one of the worst warranties in the industry. (Count me in as one of those numbnuts with my GnR pre-order )

The real question is whether this will come back to bite JJP if the market cools off a little, or they release a title that gets less hype than GnR.

#1886 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

What is that? Another grand?

He hasn't said concretely as he can't get a GnR PF to run tests on, but it should be in the neighborhood of $700.

The labor for the not-inconsequential playfield swap I'd have to do not included for those that would have to pay someone to do it for them.

#1887 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Derrick ol buddy, you are unusual and don’t care your JJP product looks like crap. You’ve drunk the koolaid. More power to you, since having your machines play and look nice is not your gig. You don’t mind spending large sums of money, only to be required to work on your JJP machines endlessly to keep them semi playing.

For most of us, we care, so when JJP stopped caring 4 games ago, we should too. This absolutely affects sales, as more and more become aware of the JJP fallacy of “quality” products. Even JJP knows there is no quality products produced by them and they’ve re-crafted their warranty to reflect that, by making it a “no warranty” policy.

#1888 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Derrick ol buddy, you are unusual and don’t care your JJP product looks like crap. You’ve drunk the koolaid. More power to you, since having your machines play and look nice is not your gig. You don’t mind spending large sums of money, only to be required to work on your JJP machines endlessly to keep them semi playing.
For most of us, we care, so when JJP stopped caring 4 games ago, we should too. This absolutely affects sales, as more and more become aware of the JJP fallacy of “quality” products. Even JJP knows there is no quality products produced by them and they’ve re-crafted their warranty to reflect that, by making it a “no warranty” policy.

*Derek please, I'm not an oil gathering appliance

#1889 2 years ago

Also, I've posted my pics with the cliffy coverups a few times - does that really "look like crap?" It's not ideal but it's certainly passable for me.

#1890 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

*Derek please, I'm not an oil gathering appliance

Whoops, Derek it is.

#1891 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Whoops, Derek it is.

Much appreciated Common error I've fought my entire life.

#1892 2 years ago

I live in a world where jimwe5t and zaphX are able to cordially communicate comfortably in the presence of one another. Both sides of the spectrum and yet manage to be able to shake hands in the name of pinball.

Tonight, I am a proud to live in that world.

#1893 2 years ago

I guess I'll remind people of my offer to help those in need that get new playfields but are unable/unwilling to do playfield swaps themselves. 100 bucks and the old playfield is all I ask.

This offer, again, is for people that get screwed on new machines that had defective playfields only, not a cunning deal maker looking for some sucker to do a playfield swap on a project for you.

#1894 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I guess I'll remind people of my offer to help those in need that get new playfields but are unable/unwilling to do playfield swaps themselves. 100 bucks and the old playfield is all I ask.
This offer, again, is for people that get screwed on new machines that had defective playfields only, not a cunning deal maker looking for some sucker to do a playfield swap on a project for you.

Dang, my gears were starting to turn!

#1895 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

I live in a world where jimwe5t and zaphX are able to cordially communicate comfortably in the presence of one another. Both sides of the spectrum and yet manage to be able to shake hands in the name of pinball.
Tonight, I am a proud to live in that world.

In a world of incivility it's nice when we can disagree without being disagreeable.

#1896 2 years ago

What I see is a lack of adhesion & problems with the finish clear not hardening correctly. Mirco seems to be having some problems with his process. Maybe it is the Human portion of his production, & not the robots. He has shown the robots doing, cnc, inserting the lenses, & finish clear videos. It would be nice if he came out & explained how some playfields are bad.

#1897 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

It would be nice if he came out & explained how some playfields are bad.

First you have to admit that there is a problem. He can't even do that.

#1898 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

What I see is a lack of adhesion & problems with the finish clear not hardening correctly. Mirco seems to be having some problems with his process. Maybe it is the Human portion of his production, & not the robots. He has shown the robots doing, cnc, inserting the lenses, & finish clear videos. It would be nice if he came out & explained how some playfields are bad.

From everything I have seen and read/watched from experts - One of the big issues is the wood doesn't absorb the ink with the current printing process like it did when PF's where screen printed. If the ink is not attaching to the PF it, doesn't mater what you do with the clear on top of it.

#1899 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

First you have to admit that there is a problem. He can't even do that.

Kind of no need to when people cant help themselves and keep "buy buy buy"'ing

#1900 2 years ago

From everything I have seen and read/watched from experts - One of the big issues is the wood doesn't absorb the ink with the current printing process like it did when PF's where screen printed. If the ink is not attaching to the PF it doesn't mater what you do with the clear on top of it.

Cant be the whole truth, since there are videos with plastic flaking under the aprons where it should adere to bare wood.

As it works now mirco clear is just a terribad pf-protector sloppy glued on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
$ 11,000.00
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,600 (OBO)
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.99
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.