(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 52.
#1801 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Yea you should see my stranger thing playfield, millions of dimples around the Center of the playfield

Would welcome a picture. Not that I question your statement, just that I'm going to receive a Stranger Things, so might as well look into it

On a sidenote, I have a Star Trek Premium from Stern, no PP, and it's perfect. I might be missing minor defects, but to me anyway it looks perfect. Hence why I would be interested to know whether the dimples you see are something I would miss.

#1802 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Lol , Stern playfields are perfect
[quoted image]

Poor Frank Gorshin looks like Crater Face from Grease.

#1803 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Would welcome a picture. Not that I question your statement, just that I'm going to receive a Stranger Things, so might as well look into it
On a sidenote, I have a Star Trek Premium from Stern, no PP, and it's perfect. I might be missing minor defects, but to me anyway it looks perfect. Hence why I would be interested to know whether the dimples you see are something I would miss.

I think it is safe to say at this point that playfield production is inconsistent. It doesn't really matter if it is Stern or JJP they are both either in the middle of a playfield problem or a release away from a new playfield problem. It is JJP turn for sure right now and Stern has generally been better as of late but I am sure there will be a new issue in a future release. We should have a pool for what the next issue will be. So far we have had too much clear, too little clear, brittle chipping clear, soft pooling clear, dimpling clear, grainy art, lifting art, maybe they will come up with something new and accidently do matte clear or discoloring clear.

#1804 2 years ago

I wouldn’t have an issue with a matte clear, provide the protection and cut down on the gloss to hide imperfections

#1805 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

What do you guys think of this possible band aid fix? The pinball life repair kit with two extra washers on the bottom. The extra washers keeps the black plastic ring off the playfield. The black plastic hides the damage. You can see in the pic there is just enough room to slide the plastic bag under it.
This is a temporary fix until the new playfields come out.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well, it does take the plastic off the playfield, but the art lifting damage/ pooling will probably happen where the direct contact from the metal washer touches, how far that damage spreads outside the radius of the black cover is anyone's guess. Also the post is supposed to be bare as per the factory design, and the rubber may add some bounce to the outlane or slow the game down on the left side...The metal washer on top of the black, isn't really doing anything but raising the post height and changing the geometry with the added post ring.

I personally would get rid of both metal washers and the ring rubber and call it a day

#1806 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

It’s really hard to photograph in its current position but here’s the best I could do

2779164A-B819-4DDF-8115-351B28DF387B (resized).jpeg2779164A-B819-4DDF-8115-351B28DF387B (resized).jpeg
#1807 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think it is safe to say at this point that playfield production is inconsistent. It doesn't really matter if it is Stern or JJP they are both either in the middle of a playfield problem or a release away from a new playfield problem. It is JJP turn for sure right now and Stern has generally been better as of late but I am sure there will be a new issue in a future release. We should have a pool for what the next issue will be. So far we have had too much clear, too little clear, brittle chipping clear, soft pooling clear, dimpling clear, grainy art, lifting art, maybe they will come up with something new and accidently do matte clear or discoloring clear.

Steve Ritchie will be releasing a video lecturing us on ‘it’s only clear coat wear’ from JJP. That’s my guess.

#1808 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

It’s really hard to photograph in its current position but here’s the best I could do[quoted image]

Mathew Modine hasn’t aged well. Lol.

#1809 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

It’s really hard to photograph in its current position but here’s the best I could do[quoted image]

Unfortunately that type of dimpling is to be expected on any game that has a lot of airballs. Day one (thick) mylar or one of those playfield protectors would be the only thing stopping that. After a while longer it will all blend together just like all of my old Williams games were.

#1810 2 years ago

You only see it from a certain angle and it’s not affecting ball travel so it is what it is. I already have some dimples on my GNR especially on and near the record so JJP is in the same boat

#1811 2 years ago

Mirco remains quiet. Wonder how he is going to explain this big mess at Expo. Maybe he will man up & accept some bad playfields & give free replacements.

#1812 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Yea you should see my stranger thing playfield, millions of dimples around the Center of the playfield

My Deadpool (Premium) has chips and missing artwork from where the guides were digging into the playfield. Had to raise most of them off the playfield.

#1813 2 years ago

i hope a mass of people talk about this and bring it up over and over ..The product is falling apart and they will promote themselves as do gooders as so many have no warranty through JJP on the crap they supplied ..
Falling apart after 200 plays is crap
a great artful Sparkly looking piece of crap but crap none the less..
To bad They do not take calls on the Phone or internet ,They would get the same What is up With your Crap is the question?

Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Mirco remains quiet. Wonder how he is going to explain this big mess at Expo. Maybe he will man up & accept some bad playfields & give free replacements.

#1814 2 years ago

If you have a Stern playfield with problems complain until you get a replacement. Usually they will look after you with a replacement. I got a CSI one many years later after complaining. It was not perfect but it was way better than nothing at all. Also if you get one that looks like it has very little clear, or other problems. Take pictures & complain incase things go bad before they should.

#1815 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Man. I can see this outlook if I put in 5 bucks on location to play this. Wouldnt even care. But you spent ten thousand dollars. Ten thousand. For that price, I wont overlook such a blatant issue.

I agree with you that the PFs should be flawless at that price for a game. I guess what I am emphasizing is that these very minor defects in production don't detract from the enjoyment and satisfaction of owning the game. We would all want these games to be PERFECT, to be sure. However, any game which offers alot of fun factor and great integration should satisfy owners even if there are a small number of imperfections. there's a big difference between pinball and buying a new car. new cars are made by the hundreds of thousands, and we expect a flawless new vehicle. Pinball is made in the thousands, if that, and not created by robots. There's room for error.

So, we all agree that JJP should do better, and make things right. But we also should agree that a small PF defect does not take away from the enjoyment of the game, and it's much healthier to focus on what is GREAT and enjoyable instead of zeroing in on a PF clearcoat pooling and a 1mm chip in some art which doesn't affect the gameplay.

the idea here is that there's so much to celebrate with these games. That concept should not be hijacked by the defects which are identified, unless they truly affect gameplay, value, or aesthetics in a way which is more than negligible. lets enjoy our games!!

#1816 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I guess what I am emphasizing is that these very minor defects in production don't detract from the enjoyment and satisfaction of owning the game.
So, we all agree that JJP should do better, and make things right. But we also should agree that a small PF defect does not take away from the enjoyment of the game, and it's much healthier to focus on what is GREAT and enjoyable instead of zeroing in on a PF clearcoat pooling and a 1mm chip in some art which doesn't affect the gameplay.

It would 100% affect my ownership enjoyment, that's why I won't be buying a JJP in the future
I understand others don't care as much, but for me it matters on a $10,000 pin.
Since the PF is a major component that can't easily be swapped out, I consider it slightly more than a very minor small defect/issue.

I am focusing on the other companies that offer higher quality and better customer service

#1817 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I agree with you that the PFs should be flawless at that price for a game. I guess what I am emphasizing is that these very minor defects in production don't detract from the enjoyment and satisfaction of owning the game. We would all want these games to be PERFECT, to be sure. However, any game which offers alot of fun factor and great integration should satisfy owners even if there are a small number of imperfections. there's a big difference between pinball and buying a new car. new cars are made by the hundreds of thousands, and we expect a flawless new vehicle. Pinball is made in the thousands, if that, and not created by robots. There's room for error.
the idea here is that there's so much to celebrate with these games. That concept should not be hijacked by the defects which are identified, unless they truly affect gameplay, value, or aesthetics in a way which is more than negligible. lets enjoy our games!!

No. Think what you will but to say that a faulty/chipping playfield, regardless of how minor you may perceive them to be, absolutely impacts my enjoyment and satisfaction so far as the game overall goes. I'm not paying $20 for a game, I'm paying $10K+ and there is a massive difference between my expectations at those price points. So again, no, I'm not going to agree that a shit playfield doesn't impact my enjoyment and satisfaction.

Jeff

#1818 2 years ago

Paint doesn’t chip on a $300 bike. You be pist if it did. Can you imagine paint chipping on a $10500 bike? Here you are

#1819 2 years ago

Why do people treat dimples in the same way as the playfield art literally coming right off the wood?

Here is a pic of my world cup soccer. Zoom in and behold the dimples all over it. This is a game that came in the time that "dimples didnt happen." Bull. It is normal. Chipping is NOT.

20210907_090523 (resized).jpg20210907_090523 (resized).jpg

#1820 2 years ago
Quoted from mostater:

My Deadpool (Premium) has chips and missing artwork from where the guides were digging into the playfield. Had to raise most of them off the playfield.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"49d31a87b10a2259c7ae1244615cbc738739479a-1631035514-1800"};
//]]>

Mine WOULD have if it wasn't for the fix that everyone should be doing to it on day one. Those ball guides are begging for the playfield to get ruined unless you do the fix.

#1821 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

It would 100% affect my ownership enjoyment, that's why I won't be buying a JJP in the future

Exactly my sentiment. I had an extra $10K burning a hole in my pocket this summer, and rather than grabbing a GnR, I put it down on this instead.

Too bad for you, JJP. My next purchase will likely be a Spooky pin.

F150-2 (resized).jpgF150-2 (resized).jpg

#1822 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Why sp people treat dimples in the same way as the playfield art literally coming right off the wood?
Here is a pic of my world cup soccer. Zoom in and behold the dimples all over it. This is a game that came in the time that "dimples didnt happen." Bull. It is normal. Chipping is NOT.
[quoted image]

Seriously. My Bally Party Zone and Data East Maverick have dimples. I always thought the way they looked was normal. They were my 1st 2 modern games.

#1823 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Exactly my sentiment. I had an extra $10K burning a hole in my pocket this summer, and rather than grabbing a GnR, I put it down on this instead.
[quoted image]

I love that color. Starting to see it or similar on more and more vehicles. Also, love the no chrome black out package.

#1824 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Seriously. My Bally Party Zone and Data East Maverick have dimples. I always thought the way they looked was normal. They were my 1st 2 modern games.

I think anyone that has been in Pinball for a few years knows dimpling is a normal thing it's the shades of grey between black and white that matter. I have only seen one real bad case in person and it was a routed Star Wars when they first came out. It was a mess, just cratered, not normal dimples. You could see the divots had pushed up the clear around the edge and you could clearly see the wood grain all through it, looked like a sand trap that hadn't been raked in a while. It's just so hard to tell in photos though, you can make even normal seems really bad and in the right lighting even a really bad one may seem fine.

#1825 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Man up? Mirco?

German men are trained to sit like a weak little girl with little blonde pigtails when they pee. That is not a recipe for Mirco manly pumpitude.

hans-n-franz.gifhans-n-franz.gif
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1826 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Man up? Mirco?
German men are trained to sit like a weak little girl with little blonde pigtails when they pee. That is not a recipe for Mirco manly pumpitude.
[quoted image]

Am I reading the comment right? That's second degree humour, right ?

Because otherwise, I have quite a few German friends who would not take kindly to this kind of comment.

#1827 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Am I reading the comment right? That's second degree humour, right ?
Because otherwise, I have quite a few German friends who would not take kindly to this kind of comment.

Yes. Hanz and Franz skits were very famous and popular on SNL (well, in the US at least) with them calling anyone that's not them girlie men and babies and insulting them in infantile ways. Maybe you had to be there...

#1828 2 years ago

I got the joke, and I’m a caveman

#1829 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes. Hanz and Franz skits were very famous and popular on SNL (well, in the US at least) with them calling anyone that's not them girlie men and babies and insulting them in infantile ways. Maybe you had to be there...

I'm relieved. And no, unlikely this show is known anywhere else but the US, so I suspect any German reading this thread would not have caught the humor, just like myself

Regards

#1830 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I'm relieved.

And...nice callback pun!

Seriously, take care.

#1831 2 years ago

Don't know if you all saw this video Chris posted but jump to 3:10 for another Mirco playfield disaster!

#1832 2 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Don't know if you all saw this video Chris posted but jump to 3:10 for another Mirco playfield disaster!

That’s exactly what I was pointing out with the clear release around the posts. That’s all its doing now because it’s soft. Wait until that crap clearcoat gets hard. Well you just saw…

#1833 2 years ago

[quoted image]

That color rocks!

#1834 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Andddd it depreciated that 10k right when you drove it off the lot.

#1835 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Don't be so sure. Have you seen the crazy prices of used vehicles lately?

#1836 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Don't be so sure. Have you seen the crazy prices of used vehicles lately?

True true. Everything is crazy lately ha ha

#1837 2 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Yikes! I’m sure though as Jack said, it was the customers fault. What a joke

21E1A5FC-3EA9-43D9-BB0D-F676B22E9D42 (resized).jpeg21E1A5FC-3EA9-43D9-BB0D-F676B22E9D42 (resized).jpeg
#1838 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Love the Truck and the color. Bad ass dude..... I'm looking for a Truck as we speak...

#1839 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

[quoted image]

I remember when they used to sell the ceramic coat AFM playfields and then suddenly they went away. Seems like when now know why. What a pile of junk. Imagine paying top dollar for a playfield and then spending many many hours swapping it out only to have that happen? I would be so pissed.

#1840 2 years ago

[quoted image]

20210812_215936 (resized).jpg20210812_215936 (resized).jpg
#1841 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

[quoted image]

Can we get that pic with chips of paint falling off Jacks nose?

#1842 2 years ago

I got the joke, and I’m a caveman

Cleary, you're a caveboy.

#1843 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:And...nice callback pun!

Seriously, take care.

As much as I would like to claim that "yeah, that was intended as a pun", honesty compels me to state "Oh damn, you know, I actually absolutely did not make the connection when writing my response".

That's what you get when writing in foreign languages I guess (you should try French )

Cheers

#1844 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I understand others don't care as much, but for me it matters on a $10,000 pin.
Since the PF is a major component that can't easily be swapped out, I consider it slightly more than a very minor small defect/issue.
I am focusing on the other companies that offer higher quality and better customer service

I second this opinion. Who really wants a pin so bad, they’ll put up with glaring defects all over the PF. Honestly, the JJP apologists are really bending over on this one. To say the least, all these countless photos of GNR nightmarish play fields are disgusting. That JJP won’t stand behind their product, with zero warranty on the most important component is incredible.

The idea they pass the buck to a 3rd party and don’t take responsibility for still putting artwork under stress points all over the PF. Still have holes drilled wider than the posts for wobbly post movement. Ordering too thick of a clear coat. Not allowing the PF enough time to properly cure. All these issues are squarely on film flam JJPs shoulders and not Mirco’s. But hey JJP fanboys don’t want JJP to fess up and make things right. They’re okay with paying outrageous sums of monies for poor quality workmanship from JJP. If any other company put out this kind of crap for product, many people would boycott them till they fixed it. Not line up again for pinball table scraps, like sycophants often do. It is mind blowing JJP gets away with the worst product in the industry, because they throw on lots of plastic, cheap LEDs, with almost no ball interactive mechs. All for the highest prices in the industry. Unbelievable!

#1845 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I suspect any German reading this thread would not have caught the humor

Lol , a German not getting the humour .
Now that's funny

#1846 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

I second this opinion. Who really wants a pin so bad, they’ll put up with glaring defects all over the PF. Honestly, the JJP apologists are really bending over on this one. To say the least, all these countless photos of GNR nightmarish play fields are disgusting. That JJP won’t stand behind their product, with zero warranty on the most important component is incredible.
The idea they pass the buck to a 3rd party and don’t take responsibility for still putting artwork under stress points all over the PF. Still have holes drilled wider than the posts for wobbly post movement. Ordering too thick of a clear coat. Not allowing the PF enough time to properly cure. All these issues are squarely on film flam JJPs shoulders and not Mirco’s. But hey JJP fanboys don’t want JJP to fess up and make things right. They’re okay with paying outrageous sums of monies for poor quality workmanship from JJP. If any other company put out this kind of crap for product, many people would boycott them till they fixed it. Not line up again for pinball table scraps, like sycophants often do. It is mind blowing JJP gets away with the worst product in the industry, because they throw on lots of plastic, cheap LEDs, with almost no ball interactive mechs. All for the highest prices in the industry. Unbelievable!

I normally don't agree with you a lot of the time but in this situation i have to agree. I have owned 4 out of 6 JJP games and have supported them from day one. The way i have been treated in this situation with my CE is unbelievable. It will be the last NIB purchase with JJP.

#1847 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I normally don't agree with you a lot of the time but in this situation i have to agree. I have owned 4 out of 6 JJP games and have supported them from day one. The way i have been treated in this situation with my CE is unbelievable. It will be the last NIB purchase with JJP.

Same… I own 4 JJP pins paid for two NIB. Both NIB had playfield issues. I will not be purchasing any more NIB after all of this lack of customer service and Jack blaming the customers for the problems.

FYI, I love the pins JJP produces. I just can’t deal with the headaches and lack of communication with them.

#1848 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Same… I own 4 JJP pins paid for two NIB. Both NIB had playfield issues. I will not be purchasing any more NIB after all of this lack of customer service and Jack blaming the customers for the problems.
FYI, I love the pins JJP produces. I just can’t deal with the headaches and lack of communication with them.

I will be in the market for a used Toy Story with no issues later on but as far as new $ from me to JJP, NOT HAPPENING!!!

#1849 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Why do people treat dimples in the same way as the playfield art literally coming right off the wood?
[quoted image]

no dude you don't get it, see if you just constantly post the same pictures where you're super zoomed in and the light is shining in just the right direction and angle and mars is in retrograde on a tuesday in spring you'll see a bunch of dimples on a stern! SEE? JUNK! The exact same thing as pieces of art the size of the titanic flaking off after a couple hundred plays. Bring back diamondplate!!! Those never wore or had dimples I have a junkyard and ITS STILL SMOOTH AS GLASS after infinity billion trillion plays!!!1! Yup they don't make em like they used to I tell ya hwat. STUPID EPA BANNING ALL THE GOOD STUFF!!!!!!

#1850 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

One too many zeroes. It did depreciate, but only by $1000. In 2 months, I'll be above water again. Used truck prices are insane.

Kinda nice to not have to take GAP coverage though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,998 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

12,060 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields/page/37?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.