(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 52.
#1701 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I was willing and planning to buy a playfield at the full $1100 price, so to me this is a generous offer in compromise..

I just can't understand the logic .... Please help me understand.
I can understand you being ok with it, but to call it generous? JJP gets off unscathed
The product had defects out of the box for a lot of people and you have to pay to buy a replacement?
Please tell me what other consumer product company operates like this?

At the very least they should refund your money spent on the new PF if you send the old one back (which they should pay the shipping for) - which is still absurd but better than current offer

#1702 2 years ago

Yeah that comment is a slap in the face .I work past my regular job to buy these things and I’m talking hard labor .I’m 52 this year no spring chicken .$500 plus the missed wages swapping is a shit ton of money to me .2000 plays I’m completly fine with paying full price and doing that like you said .But under 200 plays and 90 days ?Your a good guy please rethink that one .

#1703 2 years ago

Cost aside, who wants a second shitty playfield if they haven't fixed the underlying issues? Won't it also fail shortly after install?

#1704 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I was willing and planning to buy a playfield at the full $1100 price, so to me this is a generous offer in compromise.
But you people will never be happy.

Please don't feed the.....

Remember what happened last time? You left, and it was as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

#1705 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Please don't feed the.....

Remember what happened last time? You left, and it was as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Hah. It wasn't due to this thread I assure you.

Your_Boos_Mean_Nothing_Banner.jpgYour_Boos_Mean_Nothing_Banner.jpg
#1706 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

sorry, but I do not agree with this logic , I believe it is flawed. When I buy a brand new item I do not expect it to fail shortly after being used nor I expect to be charged for the repair when it is clearly a manufacturing issue.
Here Sir, here is your new car... oh btw, we are sorry the tires all bald, as you know we do not sell tires therefore it is not our fault. New tires are $1000. Good luck.
Would you be ok with this logic? this is what you seem to be proposing.

its really difficult to change a playfield , more like your engine blew and we will sell you the parts to rebuild it. later, sucker

#1707 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Cost aside, who wants a second shitty playfield if they haven't fixed the underlying issues? Won't it also fail shortly after install?

could you imagine doing a playfield swap and 6 months later the new playfield is trashed?

#1708 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I just can't understand the logic .... Please help me understand.
I can understand you being ok with it, but to call it generous? JJP gets off unscathed
The product had defects out of the box for a lot of people and you have to pay to buy a replacement?
Please tell me what other consumer product company operates like this?
At the very least they should refund your money spent on the new PF if you send the old one back (which they should pay the shipping for) - which is still absurd but better than current offer

It's simple. I control the things I can. Playfield damage is something that can be rectified with a new playfield so I went ahead and planned on buying one.
Problem out of mind.

Then this offer came out which reduced the price by 50% which is nothing but great news to me.

#1709 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It's simple. I control the things I can. Playfield damage is something that can be rectified with a new playfield so I went ahead and planned on buying one.
Problem out of mind.
Then this offer came out which reduced the price by 50% which is nothing but great news to me.

You sound like a salesman's wet dream

#1710 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Problem out of mind.

I think it was your use of the word "generous" that was mostly in question. Whether you saved money on a purchase or not, you still can't possibly be arguing that JJP is being generous here?

#1711 2 years ago

I have never liked Jack, I always thought he looked like a patsy for the Jersey mob.

That being said, his response on owners damaging their own machines...

And just how does one accomplish this and with what intent? I play my machine and it "damages" it while I play? If anything, he has undermined his own product by saying something so stupid.

"Buy a JJP machine, because when you play, your gonna pay!" And not just once, but twice so throw me an extra $500 and maybe I give you a blank pf to make your nutsack hurt a little bit less after I have done a Mexican hat dance all over it?

I have resisted jumping down any JJP rabbit holes and now am I likely to never after I heard his latest line of BS. What a tool.

#1712 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I have never liked Jack, I always thought he looked like a patsy for the Jersey mob.
That being said, his response on owners damaging their own machines...
And just how does one accomplish this and with what intent? I play my machine and it "damages" it while I play? If anything, he has undermined his own product by saying something so stupid.
"Buy a JJP machine, because when you play, your gonna pay!" And not just once, but twice so throw me an extra $500 and maybe I give you a blank pf to make your nutsack hurt a little bit less after I have done a Mexican hat dance all over it?
I have resisted jumping down any JJP rabbit holes and now am I likely to never after I heard his latest line of BS. What a tool.

Out of curiosity, any link on videos where he stated this ?

#1713 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I think it was your use of the word "generous" that was mostly in question. Whether you saved money on a purchase or not, you still can't possibly be arguing that JJP is being generous here?

Well, I suppose that's admittedly debatable.

For me, I was prepared for them to do nothing at all. They met me halfway which was an unexpected surprise.

#1714 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Problem out of mind.

Would love to have all my customers exactly like you - what a wet dream being able to charge customers for our issues and defects and even have them happy about it. Damm, I need some of the pills you are taking.

#1715 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Out of curiosity, any link on videos where he stated this ?

Interview on Pinball News podcast around 22:40
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-p6mbh-f7d2079?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

#1716 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I was willing and planning to buy a playfield at the full $1100 price, so to me this is a generous offer in compromise.
But you people will never be happy.

This does not surprise me at all. You have a history of willingly bending over for JJP. Some sort of Stockholme Syndrome.

#1717 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

And here you can see there is not clearcoat overlap on the cutted/drilled sections and chipping is already happening [quoted image]

This is quite interesting. So many different variables.

It seems in this photo, the chipping is around that post.. where the art is printed.

I know for the Sword of rage, I was told that run had an issue due to the digital printing process with art going too close to edges of cuts etc. and no wood area to adhere to. This was new, as presumably, the screened art done before would adhere much better.

So it seems newer designs have a healthy area with no art around any pf cuts etc.

#1718 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

This does not surprise me at all. You have a history....

Think Romulex & Panzer had to bring him out of retirement.

#1719 2 years ago

I just had a shitty PM from mirco

I will open up a new topic with his PM I need as much backup from people with a bad playfield . As he is trying to sue me and have my shit taken down!

If you don’t see me online no more I’ve been blocked/banned

#1720 2 years ago

Would love to have all my customers exactly like you - what a wet dream being able to charge customers for our issues and defects and even have them happy about it. Damm, I need some of the pills you are taking.

I hear you - I get your point, I do.

For me this was worth a small spend to push the issue out of mind and keep having fun with my machine.

And speaking of having fun with the machine, PinMonk's fan kit for GNR is a (literal) game-changer! The flippers remain robust for hours of play. Recommended!

#1721 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

I just had a shitty PM from mirco
I will open up a new topic with his PM I need as much backup from people with a bad playfield . As he is trying to sue me and have my shit taken down!
If you don’t see me online no more I’ve been blocked/banned

Mirco is notorious for doing this stuff. He can never man up to his own issues. Its always passing the blame or ignoring things outright

#1722 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Weekend-at-Bernies (resized).jpgWeekend-at-Bernies (resized).jpg
#1723 2 years ago

Everyone should keep in mind that zaphX has already put thousands of plays on his GNR which is awesome. He's probably already gotten more value out of the game then a vast majority of other owners due to how much he plays and enjoys it.

The playfield situation sucks but at least there's a partial solution. Personally I think JJP should evaluate each customer case individually and if the damage is bad enough (severe chipping) then a playfield should be given for free.

#1724 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I hear you - I get your point, I do.
For me this was worth a small spend to push the issue out of mind and keep having fun with my machine.
And speaking of having fun with the machine, PinMonk's fan kit for GNR is a (literal) game-changer! The flippers remain robust for hours of play. Recommended!

And I understand your point of view,
I would do the same, only difference is I would not call it generous and be happy about it

#1726 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

...and it's not even at cost.

How do you know?

Quoted from Mike_J:

It’s definitely not at cost.

How do you know?

For the record, in my phone call with Jack on Thursday September 5th, 2019 Jack personally told me the playfield cost was $550. Do whatever you want with that info.

#1727 2 years ago

@zaphx, could you post pictures of your playfield as it currently stands.

#1728 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

zaphX, could you post pictures of your playfield as it currently stands.

Of course!

Here's a few I have handy. If there's something you want to see more of, LMK. Play count is around 4000 if I remember right.

IMG_0089.jpegIMG_0089.jpegIMG_0091.jpegIMG_0091.jpegIMG_0262.jpegIMG_0262.jpeg
#1729 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Problem out of mind.

I’m in the middle on this. For machines with less than 500 plays or 1 year (whatever comes first) JJP should cover a new Playfield for any damage period minus minor dimples to a certain extent. After that, $500 is a reasonable offer if you plan of keeping the pin. I think the biggest issue right now is not even the Playfield issues, it’s JJP

#1730 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

zaphX, could you post pictures of your playfield as it currently stands.

Here's a few more. Underneath shot showing the fans installed, some close-ups of the areas I "repaired" with the cliffy CF rings.

There's a chip in progress on the guitar neck, I'll touch that up when it happens.

IMG_0354 (resized).jpegIMG_0354 (resized).jpegIMG_0355 (resized).jpegIMG_0355 (resized).jpegIMG_0356 (resized).jpegIMG_0356 (resized).jpegIMG_0357 (resized).jpegIMG_0357 (resized).jpegIMG_0358 (resized).jpegIMG_0358 (resized).jpegIMG_0359 (resized).jpegIMG_0359 (resized).jpegIMG_0360 (resized).jpegIMG_0360 (resized).jpegIMG_0361 (resized).jpegIMG_0361 (resized).jpegIMG_0362 (resized).jpegIMG_0362 (resized).jpeg
#1731 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

its really difficult to change a playfield , more like your engine blew and we will sell you the parts to rebuild it. later, sucker

I’m not sure I could easily install a small block. But a professional certainly could, with some effort.

I will never try. (Probably)

A83E1326-45C4-444A-AD7A-B918B36861D3 (resized).pngA83E1326-45C4-444A-AD7A-B918B36861D3 (resized).pngDC9A90CC-DBB5-46A5-9B3E-9CF8A8919084 (resized).jpegDC9A90CC-DBB5-46A5-9B3E-9CF8A8919084 (resized).jpeg

#1732 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Team RomPanZap! Snuggling Jersey Jack since 2013.

#1733 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I’m not sure I could easily install a small block. But a professional certainly could, with some effort.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Just need lots of washers. Easy piezy

#1734 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

How do you know?

How do you know?
For the record, in my phone call with Jack on Thursday September 5th, 2019 Jack personally told me the playfield cost was $550. Do whatever you want with that info.

Most likely that is complete cost including shipping and duty to the US

#1735 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

I’m in the middle on this. For machines with less than 500 plays or 1 year (whatever comes first) JJP should cover a new Playfield for any damage period minus minor dimples to a certain extent. After that, $500 is a reasonable offer if you plan of keeping the pin. I think the biggest issue right now is not even the Playfield issues, it’s JJP

That may be a stretch, but at the very least cover PF's that are F'd right out of the box

#1737 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Palmer Law Mr & Mr Negative on every JJP thread!And Stern kiss ass on Stern threads

#1738 2 years ago

Hey now... If I didn't know you better, I'd interpret that as unfriendly.

#1739 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Lol. I do about 4 a week. Not for the faint hearted. Tons of tools and specialty equipment. Takes me 4-8 hours depending on repair. I’m the only tech that will take on overhauls. Other techs just see liability! I see opportunity. Guess that’s why I’m buying pins and they’re fighting to pay basic bills.

I love my pin restorations but man, getting parts can be time consuming and expensive. I do love me a challenge!
B227EF64-DB94-442E-9DE7-63A09D191B10.gifB227EF64-DB94-442E-9DE7-63A09D191B10.gif

7CF79FC6-A800-47C8-AC22-96064C442839.gif7CF79FC6-A800-47C8-AC22-96064C442839.gif

#1740 2 years ago

have a chip in the clear coat on my wonka. i searched the heck out of this so sorry in advance. I tried this guide but no help https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

what are folks using to touch up a tiny chip in the clear coat where the art is exposed? I don't even want to touch the thing because this mirco stuff is pretty terribad.

CA? oil urathane? 2PAC? Or just stick a piece of mylar over it and pray to the gods?

#1741 2 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

have a chip in the clear coat on my wonka. i searched the heck out of this so sorry in advance. I tried this guide but no help https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration
what are folks using to touch up a tiny chip in the clear coat where the art is exposed? I don't even want to touch the thing because this mirco stuff is pretty terribad.
CA? oil urathane? 2PAC? Or just stick a piece of mylar over it and pray to the gods?

Stern used to send out little bottles of touch up clear. I'd probably use a high grade nail polish. Same thing. Level the pf and it will self level.

#1742 2 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

That’s a tuff one. I’ve touched up places on my TOTAN and while it protects the art, you’ll see the mismatch in the clear. Mylar is good in some cases, but then the ball in gonna track on it (very slightly). I’ve learned better is the enemy of good. So don’t fk with it too much or you’ll make it worse. Grail pins I generally buy a new PF (which sits around) for some glorious day (which will never come) that I have time to make it new again. Sometimes it good enough to just play it. But if it is bothering to where you can’t stand it, go for it. There’s some great touch up vids out there

#1743 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Stern used to send out little bottles of touch up clear. I'd probably use a high grade nail polish. Same thing. Level the pf and it will self level.

Quoted from thechakapakuni:

That’s a tuff one. I’ve touched up places on my TOTAN and while it protects the art, you’ll see the mismatch in the clear. Mylar is good in some cases, but then the ball in gonna track on it (very slightly). I’ve learned better is the enemy of good. So don’t fk with it too much or you’ll make it worse. Grail pins I generally buy a new PF (which sits around) for some glorious day (which will never come) that I have time to make it new again. Sometimes it good enough to just play it. But if it is bothering to where you can’t stand it, go for it. There’s some great touch up vids out there

Thank you both. I'm a less worried about the look and more worried that it'll be the crack in the dam that leads to total delamination.

Great tip about leveling pf first! I probably would have done everything right by masking it off, removing hardware, and even wearing my respirator...but i woulda forgotten.

#1744 2 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

For a small chip i'd recommend using "hard as nails" clear gloss nail polish. I do my own clear coating so personally i'd wait until i was clear coating another playfield and then use a drop of 2 part auto clear on it. the stuff is super expensive and super toxic so i wouldn't recommend mixing it up just for a touch up. https://www.amazon.com/Sally-Hansen-Nails-Xtreme-Invisible/dp/B004KS2PD8

#1745 2 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

On my POTC I used a bit of Minwax Polycrylic (clear gloss). Worked really, really great.

#1746 2 years ago

Pin Derek lives………….

1 week later
#1747 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Everyone should keep in mind that zaphX has already put thousands of plays on his GNR which is awesome. He's probably already gotten more value out of the game then a vast majority of other owners due to how much he plays and enjoys it.
The playfield situation sucks but at least there's a partial solution. Personally I think JJP should evaluate each customer case individually and if the damage is bad enough (severe chipping) then a playfield should be given for free.

agreed. I've put more than seven hundred games on my LE, and honestly, having too much fun to concern about missing half inch of art on the PF, or pooling by the posts.

The way I see it is, if you love pinballl, and love GNR, then this game will scratch your itch. with that mindset, its hard to stay focused on the PF issues, unless theres some huge chunk of art gone off the center of the PF, which i have not seen from anyone yet.

we should all remember to flourish in the greatness of being able to play these awesome games. the more you play, the less you care about a nicked cabinet, small piece of clearcoat, or some barely visible pooling of clearcoat. I suppose I'm deranged, but honestly, theres so much to be happy with and so much enjoyment to playing any game that any damage could be overlooked.

we have all played games which were worn out or had major PF damage. They're still fun no doubt. I'd own any game with a damaged PF to be sure, as long as it is not obstructive to play, or a straight up GASH in the PF from a NIB purchase.

Have fun guys, if you're not, then you could be missing out!

#1748 2 years ago

Don't see how the guys that are basically ignoring the issues and playing their game is relevant to the PF quality discussion.
Sure, it's great that you are enjoying and playing while band-aiding the issue and ignoring - more power to you!
I get it, the game is fun! I am sure I would be doing the same thing as JJP has really left you with no other choice.
But it's still a shitty PF on a $10,000 toy that should not be chipping and pooling no matter how strong your powers of overlooking are.
I wanted a GNR and bailed due to the issues and lack of support. With all the great machines coming out and a collection I love, I don't feel like I am missing out at all. It's really difficult to understand the excuses some people make and concessions they accept on something they paid 10 grand for when there are other companies out there with fun machines and better quality and support.

#1749 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

agreed. I've put more than seven hundred games on my LE, and honestly, having too much fun to concern about missing half inch of art on the PF, or pooling by the posts.
The way I see it is, if you love pinballl, and love GNR, then this game will scratch your itch. with that mindset, its hard to stay focused on the PF issues, unless theres some huge chunk of art gone off the center of the PF, which i have not seen from anyone yet.
we should all remember to flourish in the greatness of being able to play these awesome games. the more you play, the less you care about a nicked cabinet, small piece of clearcoat, or some barely visible pooling of clearcoat. I suppose I'm deranged, but honestly, theres so much to be happy with and so much enjoyment to playing any game that any damage could be overlooked.
we have all played games which were worn out or had major PF damage. They're still fun no doubt. I'd own any game with a damaged PF to be sure, as long as it is not obstructive to play, or a straight up GASH in the PF from a NIB purchase.
Have fun guys, if you're not, then you could be missing out!

Man. I can see this outlook if I put in 5 bucks on location to play this. Wouldnt even care. But you spent ten thousand dollars. Ten thousand. For that price, I wont overlook such a blatant issue.

#1750 2 years ago

I wanted a GNR and bailed due to the issues and lack of support.

I totally agree with you that people shouldn't brush aside the issues but I also understand why some people just want to play the game and enjoy it .
I have a game on order and I'm concerned about the Playfield issues , but I will take preventative measures to protect the playfield .

I don't feel like I am missing out at all.

This game is a unicorn .
Even future jjp games won't compare to this .
1. Main reason is because Slash wanted this game made and put everything into it . When else would you get Gibson and Fender on the same game , along with a Paul McCartney song and all the AV from their current concert tour .
There was no asset they didn't have access to .
2 . Because of covid they had an extra year to polish all the code , the rules , animations and light shows .
3 . Eric Meunier designed an awesome game with the use of guitar necks , drumsticks , high hats and incorporated all sorts of musical features into rock and roll pin with a great layout .
4 . Jean - Paul de Win is the best in the world at animating pinball games .
So if you like the theme , the rules , the layout , take some preemptive steps and enjoy the game .
You won't see another one like it for a long , long time , if ever .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 64.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Crestview, FL
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.