(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 52.
#1101 2 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Do you own any JJP Pins?

Does it matter? I own zero, but have played them all plenty and basically agree with his assessment. Do I have to buy a game I don't like to have an opinion?

#1102 2 years ago

Wiggly posts. Hmm.

Quoted from jimwe5t:

Just 2 examples:
1. WW, the ball completely slows down by disappearing behind the TV screen and for a while you have no idea where or what the ball is doing, till a big arrow on the screen begins flashing to tell you the ball will be exiting out of slowville area.
2. Dialed In the ball shooting from left side goes so slow at times, it actually stops on the back of the habit trail before reaching the mechanic woman diverter. Ball can also go through Bob left orbit and completely disappear, when by sound only you hear ball goes into trap door and then through tunnel to phone. All the while you sit there and wait and see no ball action at all.
The point of pinball is to actually see the ball. In both these examples of WW and DI, the ball goes missing much of the game. Playing a ball in tunnels is not fun, hence why Stern stopped or will not make subways. JJP has not yet learned that lesson. Slow games are painful and not too fun. GNR is a sssllllllooooooowwwww painful game when the light show wears off. Not much else to it, as it goes from MB to MB, because there is literally nothing else for Keith J. to program the ball to interact with. No mechs. This is why many people are calling GNR a “boring game.” I do admit GNR cover of Sir Paul’s song is impressive with all the lights going during the cover song GNR does. But that wears off by about the tenth time seeing it. Lol

In all seriousness... WTF are you talking about???

#1103 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Does it matter? I own zero, but have played them all plenty and basically agree with his assessment. Do I have to buy a game I don't like to have an opinion?

A better question is why are we discussing the speed of JJP games in a playfield defect thread?

#1104 2 years ago

It's either this or work.

#1105 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Wiggly posts. Hmm.

In all seriousness... WTF are you talking about???

The magical disappearing ball, man keep up lol! Like the new dead colors by the way...

I think GOT LE/PRE is the worst offender of the magical disappearing ball in modern pinball.

WW if you cant see the ball you must be on the shorter height range since I can see the ball fine at 6ft tall or your just looking to bitch about something! WW is slower compared to my Sterns but its not WOZ slow.

#1106 2 years ago

DI slow for modern game; absolutely.
Not seeing a ball confusing to me; umm, that's weird.

#1107 2 years ago

How about Tommy mode in Tommy? Can't see the ball then... I guess that machine sucked too?

Oh, and faulty playfields suck just to stay on topic.

#1108 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Me, several times. Can't stand subways, or covered areas of a playfield where the ball is just gone and comes out wherever. Anytime I can't see the ball doing something, the game is effectively dead. So yeah, the point is to see the ball, hit it, watch it whip around a habitrail, interact with a mech, anything visible.

So what about WPT... which stops you, but keeps the ball where you can see it?

I'm trying to flush out is it 'seeing the ball' or really 'the break in action' that you are opposed to.

#1109 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

... I guess that machine sucked too?

Well, kinda yeah

#1110 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I would agree DI and Wonka play slow for modern games. JJP flippers have always felt soft to me. Pop bumpers and slings flick instead of kick the ball. Fresh out of the box they play like a well-worn 90s game.

Former WOZ owner here and agree that JJP flippers suck. I'd go so far to say they're the worst in the industry now that Spooky sorted out the R&M issues. Been playing the hell out of that game for the past month and the flippers are much snappier and consistent than JJP.

The GnR on location here has been removed, but before it went it was sloooow. Right ramp shots just kinda made it there and meandered around. Left ramp shots sometimes wouldn't even make it to the UL flipper. The only way to get any speed on the ball was to tee off and shoot on-the-fly, using the rebound to help get momentum. Not good when you prefer to play in control.

#1111 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
JJP is going to be making GNR for the next decade.
I can wait a year.
As soon as they secure a different playfield supplier, I'll get one without the headache

You’ll be waiting a lot longer than that.

Didn’t you see the black washers? They already solved the problem

#1112 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

DI slow for modern game; absolutely.

well yes, its not as STERN
JJP (and AP for what i know) are playing/remind me the touch of B/W from the 90... does this means the game is bad ?

#1113 2 years ago

I agree with this for sure - closest I have felt to a 90s B/W

Quoted from RipleYYY:

well yes, its not as STERN
JJP (and AP for what i know) are playing/remind me the touch of B/W from the 90... does this means the game is bad ?

#1114 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Me, several times. Can't stand subways, or covered areas of a playfield where the ball is just gone and comes out wherever. Anytime I can't see the ball doing something, the game is effectively dead. So yeah, the point is to see the ball, hit it, watch it whip around a habitrail, interact with a mech, anything visible.

You must be fit to be tied in your attack from mars.

#1115 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So what about WPT... which stops you, but keeps the ball where you can see it?

Also bad. My friends and I posted a cheeky RGP review when WPT was on test, calling out the Stabby & Stoppy posts for catching nearly every ramp shot. Steve was not pleased.

Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm trying to flush out is it 'seeing the ball' or really 'the break in action' that you are opposed to.

Either, but both is the worst. Thanks for your concern!

#1116 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Steve was not pleased.

Gotta give 'em credit though: despite Steve's annoyance, the code was updated to allow disabling of Stabby and Stoppy. Thank you Keefer

#1117 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Excellent detective work! That game is great enough that I can live with an occasional virtual lock or saucer explosion. Put on a great show and all is forgiven. Waiting for the ball to walk through AIQ's subway, though? zzz

#1118 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Excellent detective work! That game is great enough that I can live with an occasional virtual lock or saucer explosion. Put on a great show and all is forgiven. Waiting for the ball to walk through AIQ's subway, though? zzz

Agree that it takes a long time for no reason, but... I mean you can sorta see it. Lol

#1119 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Quoted from djsolzs:

I agree with this for sure - closest I have felt to a 90s B/W

Y'all must have been playing seriously worn out games. A clean and shopped AFM will easily derail the center ramp return into the shooterlane due to the crazy ball speed. I never had ANY properly shopped WPC play like a modern JJP.

Quoted from Doctor6:

Proper game strategy is to kill saucers during multiball, where they go *poof* with nary a pause. Then it's dirty pool time!

#1120 2 years ago

^ This! I remember shopping out my re-import TOTAN. Rebuilt flippers felt like they were gonna knock out the back panel.

#1121 2 years ago

But have you ever had a modern JJP play like a WPC? My Wonka when pitch is set a little steeper and flipper power dialed in is similar.

Quoted from metallik:

Y'all must have been playing seriously worn out games. A clean and shopped AFM will easily derail the center ramp return into the shooterlane due to the crazy ball speed. I never had ANY properly shopped WPC play like a modern JJP.

#1122 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

But have you ever had a modern JJP play like a WPC? My Wonka when pitch is set a little steeper and flipper power dialed in is similar.

Honestly, no. Hobbit was just as wimpy as WOZ - shooting the middle ramps was "I think I can.. (u-turn) maybe not." Dialed In and Wonka seem to play OK but could be that smooth Lawlor design. Never got any sense of speed from those games but they shot nicely. Pirates seemed to be a struggle to make either ramp unless the shot was perfect. GnR flat-out couldn't make the ramp at times.

#1123 2 years ago

I completely agree with the below - and it might be the Lawlor design as you can see I have several in my collection to compare to. Im not saying its the "exact" same but whenever I hear people say JJP is to slow I have to disagree when it comes to Wonka specifically. Still think they are similar

Quoted from metallik:

Honestly, no. Hobbit was just as wimpy as WOZ - shooting the middle ramps was "I think I can.. (u-turn) maybe not." Dialed In and Wonka seem to play OK but could be that smooth Lawlor design. Never got any sense of speed from those games but they shot nicely. Pirates seemed to be a struggle to make either ramp unless the shot was perfect. GnR flat-out couldn't make the ramp at times.

#1124 2 years ago

For me, Wonka ramps are very much in the makeable range for JJP flipper power, and the shots flow, but it's all at a leisurely pace. Which is fine. Just not my cuppa.

#1125 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

JJP (and AP for what i know) are playing/remind me the touch of B/W from the 90...

Well I've owned plenty of WPC machines and my DI is just weaker, its just a fact (full power).
Doesn't make it a bad game at all, but it csn be annoying.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1126 2 years ago

I suspect some of this sloppy flipper talk is the overheating fade issue which is annoying at best and after 30 minutes of play it's noticeable and frustrating. If you haven't played with the tbreeze fans then only the first 30 minutes in a fresh first game are worth talking about. After that the fade does affect negatively.
I also wonder how much the pitch of the game contributed to some opinions here. I could see how both a Lower pitch PLUS flipper fade could feel like slo-mo neo fighting in the matrix... Add in having an adversity to hidden balls, and generally apathy towards guns and roses music or even music pins in general and you've just found yourself in the wrong topic completely... Unless of course the only thing you like better than pinball is pinball bashing.

I have to remind myself this is a derailed playfield topic. Forgot.

Quoted from yancy:

Put on a great show and all is forgiven.

Except for GnR, of course?

#1127 2 years ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I suspect some of this sloppy flipper talk is the overheating fade issue which is annoying at best and after 30 minutes of play it's noticeable and frustrating.

Not in my case. JJP flippers feel weak to me immediately on a cold, fresh game. I seldom play a JJP game for more than 30 minutes so I dunno about fade.

#1128 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I seldom play a JJP game for more than 30 minutes so I dunno about fade.

This statement just hit my lol funny bone!

#1129 2 years ago

Both my WOZ and DI LE are sharp and snappy. No complaints. Anyone seeing otherwise must have low power situation or haven't adjusted coil settings.

#1130 2 years ago

Have you ever owned one or had one in your house? Funny I agree with you specifically when it comes to JJP games on location. just have had a different experience in a home environment.

Quoted from yancy:

Not in my case. JJP flippers feel weak to me immediately on a cold, fresh game. I seldom play a JJP game for more than 30 minutes so I dunno about fade.

#1131 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

My WW definitly fades after about 20 minutes or even less sometimes. The right ramp gets harder and harder to line up because the shot position off the flipper keeps changing. I never noticed it on my other JJPs they were just underpowered feeling and if you cranked up the power more then say 2 points made the geometry of the shots feel off.

To keep on topic my Feb 2020 supposedly after pooling issue fixed Wonka has the smallest amount of pooling on the top posts of each sling but i put mylar washers on so hope it never changes. Hasnt gotten worse since I got the game so crossing my fingers the mylar helps.

#1132 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

yeah it's nothing to do with fade - it's all about how they are driven. GNR and POTC are the same way... the ball never snaps like it does if you just came off a newer stern. And PROC gamess.. ugh.. they start off miserable.

#1133 2 years ago

Regarding weak flippers: out of the box, it seems that the flipper settings are low. If you bump them up by one, that seems "normal" and good to me.

#1134 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

. Anyone seeing otherwise must have low power situation or haven't adjusted coil settings.

Please stop with this classic canned JJP excuse; "Well they work fine in our factory, maybe a power issue where your game is?"

We're literally a group of game collectors, we know when there's a diff'rence.

And im not talking aboot fade either.

#1135 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And PROC gamess.. ugh.. they start off miserable.

Dunno about the other PROCs, but Spooky's R&M is very snappy after the flipper code update couple months ago. Like night and day better.

#1136 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Please stop with this classic canned JJP excuse; "Well they work fine in our factory, maybe a power issue where your game is?"

We're literally a group of game collectors, we know when there's a diff'rence.
And im not talking aboot fade either.

That's based on the two games that I own. So it's not an excuse. It's my experience... it's my opinion.

Every time I've played a JJP on location or at a show, they feel sluggish and underpowered. But, my two home machines play fresh and hot. Say what you will, but that's a fact.

#1137 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Have you asked for a refund? If you point out the extensive changes JJP has made to the warranty since last winter, coupled with the ongoing playfield issues which were covered by the "Bumper to Post" warranty at the time you preordered (assuming you put down your deposit under the old warranty) but now are not, you've got a pretty good argument that they've materially changed the deal and you're entitled to a refund if you want out. Under the circumstances, I would think a bit of foot-stamping should do the trick.
Just for reference, here's the "Bumper to Post" warranty pulled from the November 2020 GnR manual on JJP's website:
[quoted image]
And here's the more limited, Stern-style warranty from the current GnR manual, which based on the date appears to have gone into effect in March 2021:
[quoted image]

This, right here, is disturbing.

#1138 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

This, right here, is disturbing.

It's not too surprising that JJP would move from an "everything's covered" 90 day warranty to essentially copying Stern's warranty language. Following the market leader is usually a safe bet, and the limited written warranty doesn't seem to have hurt Stern's sales any. The surprise to me is that JJP apparently made the change mid-stream during GnR production, as opposed to just quietly slipping the new warranty language into the manual for whatever the next game is.

Regardless, given the wholesale revisions of the warranty language I'd think that anyone who preordered before the the language changed has a good argument for getting their down-payment back because they're not getting everything they bargained for when they cut the deposit check.

#1139 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Dunno about the other PROCs, but Spooky's R&M is very snappy after the flipper code update couple months ago. Like night and day better.

Yeah, that's why I said 'start off...' -- aka until someone massages the implementation.

#1140 2 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

And a big lol at that's why Stern eliminated subways. It wasn't a cost cutting measure but an epiphany that Stern realized nobody wanted to lose sight of the ball!

Lol. Yeah right. They cost cut everything, but subways were just a coincidence?

#1141 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Lol. Yeah right. They cost cut everything, but subways were just a coincidence?

Met Prem has a subway, but it's used for locks only. Player can easily see what's going on, no losing track of the ball.

EHOH also has a subway, but again integrated into a pause in gameplay (collecting/killing deadheads).

So yea, I think player perspective had something to do with it.

#1142 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Met Prem has a subway...
EHOH...

And AIQ Premium. Sounds like cost cutting to me.

#1143 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The surprise to me is that JJP apparently made the change mid-stream during GnR production, as opposed to just quietly slipping the new warranty language into the manual for whatever the next game is.

That's exactly what I find disturbing

#1144 2 years ago

Stern has "flipper fade" too. It's most noticeable on STH and being able to hit the Demo shot consistently. Had to install the flipper fans.

I notice it mostly on the upper left flipper on Wonka, more of a lag in response sometimes. Not so much on power.

#1145 2 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

Have you ever owned one or had one in your house?

Owned, no. But I've played all of them in home collections, including a GnR with the flipper strength turned up.

#1146 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Both my WOZ and DI LE are sharp and snappy. No complaints.

Stockholm syndrome.

#1147 2 years ago

I don't buy newer pins because of this they just don't last like the 90s do I think it's because they can't build them like the 90s machines it would cost too much and wouldn't sell them for the money it would cost too do it that way plus like everything else in the world they also don't want anything too last 30plus years they want you too keep buying every 5 years or so

#1148 2 years ago

Talking about flipper power seems a bit silly in this thread. JJP makes an incredible product, its just a major kick in the dick they cant be bothered to fix playfield issues. As a community, fanboys of either company should enjoy each others company and occasionally each others game, and all agree that no pinball company should be this inept when it comes to making a piece of wood with a protective coating on it. Its 2021 FFS.

#1149 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I would agree DI and Wonka play slow for modern games. JJP flippers have always felt soft to me. Pop bumpers and slings flick instead of kick the ball. Fresh out of the box they play like a well-worn 90s game.

This is exactly the point I was making and then got dog piled on by the few JJP fanboys that won’t listen to reason, lol.

#1150 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Former WOZ owner here and agree that JJP flippers suck. I'd go so far to say they're the worst in the industry now that Spooky sorted out the R&M issues. Been playing the hell out of that game for the past month and the flippers are much snappier and consistent than JJP.
The GnR on location here has been removed, but before it went it was sloooow. Right ramp shots just kinda made it there and meandered around. Left ramp shots sometimes wouldn't even make it to the UL flipper. The only way to get any speed on the ball was to tee off and shoot on-the-fly, using the rebound to help get momentum. Not good when you prefer to play in control.

Again you’re making the exact same points I’m making. JJP fan club boys are enraged at the truth and always attempt to denigrate the messengers of truth. It is hilarious that JJP cheerleaders can only think I’m ragging on JJP. Not attempting to do that, only expressing the areas of weakness in their games so hopefully they will take a hard look and change. JJP has some good ideas and I buy their games too. Just slow clumsy, game play and weak flipper action is getting tiresome. Eric is young and inexperienced designer, so this is to be expected. Hopefully he’ll improve. Pat on the other hand has made the 2 best offerings from JJP, but both machines needed a few more white woods and R&D to hold up to his TZ, AF, etc. efforts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

7,500 (OBO)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.