(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 52.
#551 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I know you think this is hilarious but it’s actually a terrible analogy. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a bad defect and JJP has handled it terribly, but it doesn’t prevent you from driving the car and enjoying it.

If you’re taking apart the pinball machine for hours/days while putting in washers then you are not driving it.

CD7B1196-94E6-45B8-8E78-8073F71CEF7C.gifCD7B1196-94E6-45B8-8E78-8073F71CEF7C.gif
#552 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

If you’re taking apart the pinball machine for hours/days while putting in washers then you are not driving it.[quoted image]

+1 for the .gif Chaka...

#553 2 years ago

+1 now gonna go watch that again this weekend..... great effin movie.

#554 2 years ago

If you’re taking apart the pinball machine for hours/days while putting in washers then you are not driving it.[quoted image]

If it takes you Days to install washers theres a bigger issue.

#555 2 years ago

More washers would probably solve that

#556 2 years ago

Not everyone has an engineering or mechanical background, there are people out there that have bought jjp machines that pay me directly to fix issues out of the box, and then there’s my collector friends that ive also helped On my dime. In fairness ive helped friends with their sterns and American machines also. But the jjp machines its every one of them, they almost never work right out of the box. The mechanical issues from shipping is just comes with buying a game and never bothers me to fix, in fact i enjoy it. But chipping missing art is a real issue. The chipping doesn’t bother me but the lack of standing behind the product is terrible.

#557 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Big difference between being offended and being dumbfounded by stupidity.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. I’m sure you’re not that stupid. I need to hang with Ted in the cigar room. Rest of ya wait outside holding the purses.

#558 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

You can turn off beast MB starting during Smaug MB in the settings. Makes things a lot cleaner.

Yes, if it was my game, not a location game. Unfortunately, the location is not terribly accommodating to our TDs. They're not even allowed to have a key to remove a stuck ball, much less change software settings.

#559 2 years ago

Spoke to a rep at JJP on Thursday about my POTC CE replacement playfield. He mentioned that play fields will not be replaced on machines made after POTC.

#560 2 years ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Spoke to a rep at JJP on Thursday about my POTC CE replacement playfield. He mentioned that play fields will not be replaced on machines made after POTC.

Seems like a weird hill to choose to die on...

#561 2 years ago

This sums up JJP

#562 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Seems like a weird hill to choose to die on...

That meeting had to be so awkward. I would love to hear the audio of how they justified their new "no warranty on playfield" policy. They were probably patting themselves on the back and truly believed it was the right decision.

Hate that this horse keeps getting beat on, but its just such a shame they still have these issues when I really do think their games are a thing of beauty. Seeing that damn dragon breath fire in Hobbit is literally what made me want a pinball machine as opposed to getting some used arcade games.

MULTI BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

Man, now I want a Hobbit, with a perfect playfield

#563 2 years ago

Cringe

#564 2 years ago

Jersey Junk Pinball, guaranteed to crack up

#565 2 years ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

I'm out!

#566 2 years ago

JJPs strategy is really brilliant;
1) Raise price $1000.
2) Remove warranty.
3) Add washers.
4) Refuse refunding deposits.
5) Leak rumor of "Buy Back" option which nobody will take.
6) Remain SILENT (this is the most important step).
7) Wait a few months and it all just fades away until their next pin.

#567 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

1) Raise price $1000.
2) Remove warranty.
3) Add washers.
4) Refuse refunding deposits.
5) Leak rumor of "Buy Back" option which nobody will take.
6) Remain SILENT (this is the most important step).
7) Wait a few months and it all just fades away until their next pin.

One way to manage excessive waiting lists.

#568 2 years ago

I'm going to say something that may piss people off...

But JJP games arent really that "fun."

I've owned three games and have only kept the one that I think is really good: Hobbit. At one point I was going to make it by mission to collect them all.

I bought dialed in. Loved how it looked. It was a spectacle of technology. But it lost its charm after a while. The game wasn't all that fun. Never did I really love the crap out of the gameplay. Bought woz because I thought the toys were cool. But jesus, the shots suck and it is a slog. No satisfying shots. Gnr has no shots that are fun and sorta reminds me of woz in how it is a beautiful specitcal, but the game isn't great.

I guess what I'm saying is, I thought jjp was going to be the second coming of williams, but now I wouldnt care if they sorta just went away. Like, just go and fucking die already with all your playfield issues combined with lousy customer service and games that aren't all that fun.

#569 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I've owned three games and have only kept the one that I think is really good: Hobbit. At one point I was going to make it by mission to collect them all.
I bought dialed in. Loved how it looked. It was a spectacle of technology. But it lost its charm after a while. The game wasn't all that fun. Never did I really love the crap out of the gameplay. Bought woz because I thought the toys were cool. But jesus, the shots suck and it is a slog. No satisfying shots. Gnr has no shots that are fun and sorta reminds me of woz in how it is a beautiful specitcal, but the game isn't great.
I guess what I'm saying is, I thought jjp was going to be the second coming of williams, but now I wouldnt care if they sorta just went away. Like, just go and fucking die already with all your playfield issues combined with lousy customer service and games that aren't all that fun.

100% agree

#570 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I respect your opinion and agree with you in general EXCEPT I think GNR is a lot of fun to shoot.

#571 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You should update your dialed in review.

#572 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I bought dialed in. Loved it. It was a spectacle of technology. But it lost its charm after a while. The game wasn't all that fun. Never did I really love the crap out of the gameplay. Bought woz because I thought the toys were cool. But jesus, the shots suck and it is a slog. No satisfying shots. Gnr has no shots that are fun and sorta reminds me of woz in how it is a beautiful specitcal, but the game isn't great.

Will disagree but hey these are just our opinions. I think JJP games across the board are all very fun and offer a layer of complexity, depth, and detail that games from other companies often lack. To me JJP is Bally Williams 2.0 but this playfield issue is slowly destroying any chance of that continuing.

The last thing I want to see is JJP go away. It's beyond disappointing to see 0 communication from JJP on this issue and the way affected GNR customers have been treated with washer kits. JJP needed to say something yesterday about this issue. I continue to enjoy my JJP games but won't buy another as long as these types of playfield quality issues exist.

The only way I think JJP can resolve this issue at this point is by finding a new playfield manufacturer (or make bring the process in house) and then offer every customer with chipped playfields a free new updated playfield.

#573 2 years ago

When JJP started out there was a lot of talk that Jack was a Giant flying asshole. I had no idea why they said that. He walked and talked a great game. He had mouthed Gary stern amd talked about all his faults and all the BS that was going on there. After handing to deal with him I could see why people disliked him and the quality of the product and customer service of Jersey Junk Pinball is far worse than Stern who seems to have stepped up their game at least a little.

#574 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

When JJP started out there was a lot of talk that Jack was a Giant flying asshole. I had no idea why they said that. He walked and talked a great game. He had mouthed Gary stern amd talked about all his faults and all the BS that was going on there. After handing to deal with him I could see why people disliked him and the quality of the product and customer service of Jersey Junk Pinball is far worse than Stern who seems to have stepped up their game at least a little.

Jack is the quintessential salesman- charismatic, easy to talk to. But you can pretty much count on being lied to somewhere along the way. ABC- Always be closing.

Kind of like the guy who got a call from Jack when his Wonka had a jello playfield...Jack miraculously had the call drop as he was announcing he was entering a tunnel on his drive home, before anything could actually be rectified.

#575 2 years ago

To me - how fun their games are is irrelevant if the quality is shit - too many other fun games to buy that won't fall apart & my life will not be incomplete without a GnR

#576 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

To me - how fun their games are is irrelevant if the quality is shit - too many other fun games to buy that won't fall apart & my life will no be incomplete without a GnR

I had both. I never cared for the rules of the two Jersey Junk games I owned and we know the quality sucked.

#577 2 years ago
Quoted from Trojanlaw:

I respect your opinion and agree with you in general EXCEPT I think GNR is a lot of fun to shoot.

I respect your opinion and agree with you in general EXCEPT I think GNR is NOT fun to shoot.

#578 2 years ago
reparations (resized).jpgreparations (resized).jpg
#579 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:I respect your opinion and agree with you in general EXCEPT I think GNR is NOT fun to shoot.

Totally agree but GNR is a fun shooter

#580 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

WhoDey would agree and always said that to me. This post is for Terry.

#581 2 years ago

Right or wrong my guess is lawsuits are coming .... its unfortunate that JJP has drawn such a hard line in the sand

#582 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

To think anyone gives enough of a shit about what you do and don’t find fun to be pissed off by it.

Why would it piss anyone off when it’s just another subjective post full of hyperbole on a forum that is almost completely subjective hyperbole?

You don’t like JJP games because you don’t find them fun….wow, thanks for enlightening us.

#583 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

To think anyone gives enough of a shit about what you do and don’t find fun to be pissed off by it.
Why would it piss anyone off when it’s just another subjective post full of hyperbole on a forum that is almost completely subjective hyperbole?
You don’t like JJP games because you don’t find them fun….wow, thanks for enlightening us.

You seem a little pissed off!

#584 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:You seem a little pissed off!

6249CC05-096E-4C4E-B7C4-4CF830991093 (resized).jpeg6249CC05-096E-4C4E-B7C4-4CF830991093 (resized).jpeg
#585 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

See, you ask why would it piss anyone off, but then you proceeded to be pissed off. You idiot.

#586 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Totally agree but GNR is a fun shooter

I agree with this statement...except the part where GnR is a fun shooter.

#587 2 years ago

I've seen multiple people say "Just hire HEP to fix it!" and while Chris is basically a miracle worker and has decades of experience with high end professional paint jobs, I doubt he would open their eyes with some revelation they have missed this entire time. I believe they already know how to solve this, but it probably costs more money. If they hired Chris to consult on this issue he would tell them how to do it RIGHT (aka $$$) which they want to avoid at all costs (pun intended). Chris doesn't cut corners because he doesn't want to or have to, his customers spend a premium for a world-class collector's game and his business model works well for Chris and his customers. JJP is charging premium prices for games with the MAIN FEATURE that is falling apart early and they are ducking their heads in the sand and hoping for this to all blow over until their next release is announced and sells out and people forget. The changing of their warranty terms is an especially bold move. I sure hope that people don't forget, and I'm seeing the signs now that JJP will need to make some drastic changes, and fast, to repair their reputation.

#588 2 years ago

I always liked JJP because of DI. That game is just it. I can‘t get too excited about their other offerings, though. I did find Willi Wonka more fun than the modern Sterns, however (maybe I just like Pat Lawlor, who knows). I guess I‘ll just wait until this playfield issue is resolved before I buy a new pin again - I am really curious what‘s causing it. I do have my theories, though and I‘m quite convinced it‘s avoidable.

#589 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

repair their reputation.

First you have to actually HAVE a good reputation to repair. So far all I have seen is a company thats good at generating FOMO and shitty playfields.

#590 2 years ago

I own a Hobbit LE. I have no playfield issues unless you count the normal dimpling.

I own 7 other games as well. Much older games, and none have the damn pf art peeling off.

If everything here is true, especially the change in their pf warranty, there's no way I am buying a new JJP machine until this pf crap is resolved.

The pictures in the thread are just... awful.

And yeah, I feel the same way about the pf issues that Stern had. I don't care who makes the machine, your pfs are peeling and you're staying silent on the matter, you ain't getting my money. I'd rather buy proven older games.

#591 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:See, you ask why would it piss anyone off, but then you proceeded to be pissed off. You idiot.

You know you’re right. I’m pissed off.

I’ve spent the last few years thinking JJP games are fun and now I’ve learnt From you that they aren’t.

Can you please tell me what else is fun?

#592 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Can you please tell me what else is fun?

Pissing people off.

(Sorry, I'm just bored. No horse in this race.)

#593 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I've seen multiple people say "Just hire HEP to fix it!" and while Chris is basically a miracle worker and has decades of experience with high end professional paint jobs, I doubt he would open their eyes with some revelation they have missed this entire time. I believe they already know how to solve this, but it probably costs more money. If they hired Chris to consult on this issue he would tell them how to do it RIGHT (aka $$$) which they want to avoid at all costs (pun intended). Chris doesn't cut corners because he doesn't want to or have to, his customers spend a premium for a world-class collector's game and his business model works well for Chris and his customers. JJP is charging premium prices for games with the MAIN FEATURE that is falling apart early and they are ducking their heads in the sand and hoping for this to all blow over until their next release is announced and sells out and people forget. The changing of their warranty terms is an especially bold move. I sure hope that people don't forget, and I'm seeing the signs now that JJP will need to make some drastic changes, and fast, to repair their reputation.

This is exactly right to me and why there is no need for consultation.
The answer is already known on some level. They may not like it but they could simply go back to older proven methods and this problem will go away.
They don’t need to look to me they need to look to history.
This is a fairly new problem that started when a process that was not broken got changed or “updated” most likely.
Go back to the last process before the failures and they should be all set.
I am an not expert on JJP games but I have done Hobbit playfields and see many others reference no issues with those so that is what they should consider a good process point to revert to. Whatever has changed since then is the likely culprit. It could be process,equipment or chemical changes but just go back to that good save point and quit guessing.

#594 2 years ago

Also, this thread is exclusively for griping and complaining about playfield issues. Stop diluting our grumpiness with your fun/not fun discussion!

#595 2 years ago

You seem to have plenty of time on your hands, sounds like the perfect game for you

#596 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

You forgot Phase 1 and 3!

PHASE 1 - COLLECT UNDERPANTS

PHASE 2
- Raise price $1000.
- Remove warranty.
- Add washers.
- Refuse refunding deposits.
- Leak rumor of "Buy Back" option which nobody will take.
- Remain SILENT (this is the most important step).
- Wait a few months and it all just fades away until their next pin.

PHASE 3 - PROFIT

#597 2 years ago

Define what fun means to someone/everyone? You can't because we all have our own understanding, it's subjective. I think WOZ is fun, just my opinion.

But I think we can all agree that lifting playfield art is not fun.

I was potentially going to order a Toy Story, but no way until I hear about the how the code plays out and also that this pf damage shitstorm has blown over.

#598 2 years ago

All I see is a bunch of “pissing into the wind blowing back at you”.

Nothing is going to change what has already transpired.

As far as that goes I still haven’t heard anyone come up with a credible guesstimate of what the extent of the problem is? 10%? 80%?

My GNRCE pf after 150 plays is still “perfect”. So is my WonkaCE

Does JJP want this issue? Absolutely not and I’m sure they are doing whatever they need to do to TRY and remedy further issues down the road.

NOBODY is going to sue JJP, Mirco or a distro.

They don’t warranty perfection and I wouldn’t put up legal fees to argue breach of the “implied merchantability” and “implied fitness for a particular purpose” warranties. You LOSE imho!

Because these games are so GREAT overall you all know that FOMO will take over again and TOY STORY will sell out CEs immediately AGAIN!

It’s just the way it is. Why? Because not enough people will STOP buying JJP games even under the current conditions.

Pinball people know the overall value they get.

If I wasn’t 100% correct then you wouldn’t be able to sell a JJP POTC for anything yet the CEs go for $35k now

Stop and think about that for a minute. Then get a raincoat for all that “pissing in the wind”.

#599 2 years ago

New to this whole pin collecting and have zero skin in the game. Probably will take an act of God for me to ever afford a NIB anyways. But I do enjoy a good serving of internet drama and this one delivers so thank you all for that.

Now for my opinion: Digital printing is the culprit. Huge pain in the ass to go back to old school tried and true methods of playfield decoration. No print around posts would be a good bandaid. When I see this clear coat separating I see a fixable blunder.

The first home I bought a decade ago came with some beat ass wood flooring covering the entire first floor never seen any love since it was built in 1960. I spent a week sanding and covering with hi build poly never had worked with this before. Had to move in a week later but the stuff was still tacky. Like peel it up with your fingernail. So I laid down cardboard and left it for like two months. Had a diamond plate floor when lifted the covering up.

Bottom line is JJP knows what they need to do but will they do it?

#600 2 years ago

Where is John Greatwich? He has been printing playfields on a printer for a long time. His don’t fall apart. Maybe he could shed some light on the subject.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

8,245 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields/page/12?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.