(Topic ID: 292889)

Why is JJP still making games with faulty playfields?

By PanzerFreak

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,564 posts
  • 282 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RA77
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220617_154723.jpg
20220617_154445.jpg
IMG_20220613_032620 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220613_030752 (resized).jpg
20210909_134038 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
chrome_2022-02-15_12-00-35 (resized).png
17AEF3C4-B1B7-44A7-B1F2-071EA929B00F (resized).jpeg
4076DC23-3C1A-4942-9F24-34168523D514.gif
FB618287-0DDE-4466-AC99-9BC00DF91609 (resized).jpeg
EDF7D875-27AD-48ED-BBCC-E0DF0CB5C98B (resized).jpeg
2ED1C591-29D4-4E62-9285-6F2EC8D87582 (resized).jpeg
32A8819B-CD13-4A4F-A5A5-A989485403A2 (resized).jpeg
2021-10-22_8-36-44 (resized).jpg
68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f79687a6a792e6a7067 (resized).jpeg
9F8E0426-381C-4AE2-9E25-A03281F18142.gif

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 52.
#501 2 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

If ya don’t know.............ya don’t know. [quoted image]

The Diamond Plate playfield process now seems like making Valyrian steel swords from Game of Thrones, a process long forgotten and no longer possible to be recreated lol.

A few weeks back I thought I read that the Diamond Plate clear coat is still being made. If someone had the financial resources now seems like a good time to bring the process back.

#502 2 years ago

Diamond Plate would not stop the ink from lifting off the playfields

Because it shrinks more, it would probably pull the ink off faster

#503 2 years ago

Why does the ink only seem to lift around some posts? Never seen it lift on an over tightened ball guide or from the ball repeatedly smashing against the playfield. Some posts have issues while others don’t. Obviously there is a serious issue but some of it just doesn’t add up to me....

#504 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Why does the ink only seem to lift around some posts? Never seen it lift on an over tightened ball guide or from the ball repeatedly smashing against the playfield. Some posts have issues while others don’t. Obviously there is a serious issue but some of it just doesn’t add up to me....

The slingshot posts are all being pulled towards the center, because of the tension of the rubber.

Mini posts are being pushed by the constant impact

So it's sideways forces pulling up the ink.

I think any impacted posts will eventually lift the ink as time goes on.

In a few years, kids will be sanding the playfields down to whitewoods, and buying Hardtops to hide the damage

#505 2 years ago

Dudes, it isn’t only the posts. Play that ticket long enough and you will be down to bare wood

#506 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Dudes, it isn’t only the posts. Play that ticket long enough and you will be down to bare wood

Yep, after 2 years of playing my MET it was down to large sections of bare wood. The entire sparky magnet section was bare wood, where the ball exits the shoot lane was bare wood, basically anywhere the ball hit the playfield hard the artwork was gone. It will happen eventually.

#507 2 years ago

I thought Metallica PFs had no issues

#508 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

My Metallica (built in 2018) has a spot of bare wood just off a guide rail and some pooling/cracking around a post. Stern sent me an unpopulated playfield. I just sent it off to Ron Kruzman for the royal treatment. I figure I’ll do the swap eventually after playing the original PF into the ground.

#509 2 years ago

Ill do the PF swap for you for 1000. Thats a swap and clean, parts are extra.

#510 2 years ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:The first car I ever bought was a 79 Caprice for $100 and you had to start it with a screwdriver. Man I loved that car...

LOL nice! I had a '72 4-door Pontiac Bonneville, $250, spray painted flat black, mudgrip tires, 455 motor, with "comfortable" seating for all of my friends (at that age anyway). Will never forget pulling up to my college dorm the first time, car packed with my stuff, drove up ON the curb, and parents looked on in horror as they realized the owner of this fine machine would be living in the same building as their kids. I know I'm off topic, no more car posts

#511 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Why does the ink only seem to lift around some posts? Never seen it lift on an over tightened ball guide or from the ball repeatedly smashing against the playfield.

It lifts around ball guides that are mashed into the playfield. It's lifted on my Iron Maiden, Batman 66, & AC/DC Luci. I had to Iron those areas down with Yelobird's method and then I put little fiber washers underneath all the ball guides to prevent it from happening again. I preemptively added washers under ball guides on my TMNT.

Stern should be trimming art from underneath ball guides just the same as posts.

#512 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

very small run in april of 2014 had some of the worst playfields ever produced. Was around the same time WOZ had the bad run of playfields. If I remember correctly they where Bader playfields.

#513 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Ill do the PF swap for you for 1000. Thats a swap and clean, parts are extra.

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn’t want to ship the populated playfield.

#514 2 years ago

A metal ball rolls up and down on the finish of your car everyday for years. How worn do you think that finish would be?

The reason it pools around post and holes? Anyone who's painted anything can probably tell you.

These things wear down, and the alternatives may or may not be to your liking.

#515 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

LOL nice! I had a '72 4-door Pontiac Bonneville, $250, spray painted flat black, mudgrip tires, 455 motor, with "comfortable" seating for all of my friends (at that age anyway).

I'll see your Bonneville and raise you a Chrysler Newport Custom. It was so wide you could almost lay flat side-to side in the back seat. Power for days and a whopping 11MPG.

#516 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

A metal ball rolls up and down on the finish of your car everyday for years. How worn do you think that finish would be?
The reason it pools around post and holes? Anyone who's painted anything can probably tell you.
These things wear down, and the alternatives may or may not be to your liking.

You get your brand new BMW and drive it to the shops a few times and paint starts peeling off around the mirrors and handles. You’re happy with that?

#517 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'll see your Bonneville and raise you a Chrysler Newport Custom. It was so wide you could almost lay flat side-to side in the back seat. Power for days and a whopping 11MPG.

See now we are taking.

Any idiot with a few bucks can buy a Porsche. Takes a real man to drive a boat.

#518 2 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn’t want to ship the populated playfield.

Send the whole game. It’s probably cheaper.that way I can make sure everything works when I’m done.

#519 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How much are wire transfers in the states?
Are still $40?
I'd rather give the distro a couple hundred for his 2.6% and have the extended warranty and extra protection

It’s time for people to start doing chargebacks. That’ll send a message.

#520 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I am thinking someone in Pinside-land has to have a Cadillac 500ci ride with all 190hp to hit the road.

Screenshot 2021-05-28 12.35.33 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-05-28 12.35.33 PM (resized).png
#521 2 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I am thinking someone in Pinside-land has to have a Cadillac 500ci ride with all 190hp to hit the road.
[quoted image]

Buddy of mine had a Cadillac Eldorado convertible until maybe 10 years ago. Red and everything. Probably the one that inspired Nugent to write Terminus Eldorado. They were making some BIG cars in the late 60's/early 70s. If you've never driven one, you missed out.

#522 2 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

It lifts around ball guides that are mashed into the playfield. It's lifted on my Iron Maiden, Batman 66, & AC/DC Luci. I had to Iron those areas down with Yelobird's method and then I put little fiber washers underneath all the ball guides to prevent it from happening again. I preemptively added washers under ball guides on my TMNT.
Stern should be trimming art from underneath ball guides just the same as posts.

Not on GNR though. Totally agree that ball guides pool on sterns.

#523 2 years ago

Hi my name is PinballEnthusiast2021 and I change playfields like I change the tires on my car. Sometimes the oil even.

Whats the next DREAM THEME to come out? Can't wait.

#524 2 years ago

Has anyone tried smaller washers? I never understood why they use bigger and bigger washers under the posts, that isn't going to solve anything, it just makes the issue bigger. If you use a washer that is slightly smaller than the post, then theoretically all damage would occur under the post and out of sight at least.

I've made this suggestion several times in the past but haven't heard if anyone actually tried it. I don't have a JJP game to try it on. It's possible that the post might bend slightly more with slightly less base touching but that's the only downside I could see.

#525 2 years ago

I got my deposit refunded today.

Changing the terms of a agreement must be acceptable to both parties.

How many folks will buy a pin with no warranty on the playfield? These days.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#526 2 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

First time buyer here of JJP , I got the GNR SE and really like the game it was built on 02/24/2021 . it came with washers under the post in the sling shot area no issue there . after reading all the treads on PF issues I have decided to hold off on playing anymore games until I order some clear washers to go under the rest of the post . Now I have been in this hobby for many years and shopped out many games I have never put any metal post back together and over tighten them down like I seen on my new GNR . I think a big part of the problem here is over torqueing those post from the factory . the ones on my game were so tight it had sunk the SS washer down into the wood of the PF. This might have been covered already just my 2 cents …..

Agree here, Stern was having the same problem. The air tools assembly line workers are using to install components need to be checked/calibrated not to over torque. Also agree with others the printing/clear process Mirco is using has its own problems that need to be resolved.
Combine the 2 and you get the hot mess under posts that we have seen.

#527 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The hell they don't! Is there a game without the PF? No.
The whole game is their product. THEY DO CONTROL THE QUALITY OF THE Playfield.
THEY CHOOSE NOT to stand behind that product.
Saying anything is makes you part of the problem.

Consider me the problem then because while you guys gnash your teeth over it i'll be having fun with my games!

I still haven't heard anyone give any concrete evidence as to the breadth of the issues because my PF's are great and i'm NOT seeing 100's of people jump off ledges because they don't like their PF's

Now IF what you say is true AND so many people care about it and WON'T buy their games now then JJP will go out of business. Plain and simple.

That's NOT going to happen and people WILL continue to buy their games. A certain % of people don't give a flying F about some pooling and minor chipping issues. That is just the way it is whether you agree with it or not.

And I'm NOT going to be part of some MOB attack before we know all of the FACTS.

As for Stern and their POOLING ISSUES, it's now crickets isn't it.

So let's spread the hate around a little bit more fairly.

#528 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Buddy of mine had a Cadillac Eldorado convertible until maybe 10 years ago. Red and everything. Probably the one that inspired Nugent to write Terminus Eldorado. They were making some BIG cars in the late 60's/early 70s. If you've never driven one, you missed out.

Both those and the Lincolns at that time are something to drive for sure.

#529 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Consider me the problem then because while you guys gnash your teeth over it i'll be having fun with my games!
I still haven't heard anyone give any concrete evidence as to the breadth of the issues because my PF's are great and i'm NOT seeing 100's of people jump off ledges because they don't like their PF's
Now IF what you say is true AND so many people care about it and WON'T buy their games now then JJP will go out of business. Plain and simple.
That's NOT going to happen and people WILL continue to buy their games. A certain % of people don't give a flying F about some pooling and minor chipping issues. That is just the way it is whether you agree with it or not.
And I'm NOT going to be part of some MOB attack before we know all of the FACTS.

Did Stern revise their warranty and stop covering know issues?

#530 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ice, welcome back! Stern seems to have taken care of this. As for JJP, I love the company but will not keep my order unless this issue is addressed, and I am in at $9500 shipped. So instead I bought DICE last weekend and am very happy with that decision, no problems except a drone to fix.

#531 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Diamond Plate would not stop the ink from lifting off the playfields
Because it shrinks more, it would probably pull the ink off faster

Agreed. Digital printing should go away and they should use a clear with similar properties to Diamond Plate. I used the Diamond Plate ad as an example of what we had when playfield durability was at it’s peak.

#532 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Good job controlling your emotional decisions. Ladies have a much harder time with that. Guys just need to facts and the decision comes out then. Hopefully enough folks get the same ball rolling, pun intended, and then maybe the JJP shit will get fixed and not try to intimidate with legaleeze. ( No offence Ice, we love ya despite your stubbornness amigo!)..

#533 2 years ago

No need for a class action lawsuit. Just have a lawyer call in your behalf and JJP will take care of you IMO. Just tell your lawyer to mention that new playfield quality stamp on the new games. Done and done.

#534 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Give it time, you’ll be digging out the pillowcase, torch and pitch fork......oh and scissors lol...

#535 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Good job controlling your emotional decisions. Ladies have a much harder time with that. Guys just need to facts and the decision comes out then.

Ladies have a much harder time with that? WTF are you talking about???

#536 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I figured folks would start getting their deposit back. I am sure they finally got the lawyers involved. You can't keep someones deposit with known issues.

#537 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Ladies have a much harder time with that? WTF are you talking about???

Agreed. I can only imagine the irrational things I would do without my wife backing me away.

#538 2 years ago
#539 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

TBH every car forum I've ever been on has had at least one thread about how "poor quality paint" is causing rock chips. All manufacturers.
I just get my cars wrapped with clearbra so I can drive without concern.

There's our solution right there - lets wrap our pinballs in Clearbra, whatever that is lol

This is what I thought a Clearbra was

#540 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

What would be a good reason JJP continues to use Mirco as as opposed to Bader?

Maybe bridges were burned after the initial problems with WOZ?

EDIT...Just saw Haymaker mentioned this on a previous post, sorry!

#541 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Ice, welcome back! Stern seems to have taken care of this. As for JJP, I love the company but will not keep my order unless this issue is addressed, and I am in at $9500 shipped. So instead I bought DICE last weekend and am very happy with that decision, no problems except a drone to fix.

Thx and congrats! Everyone has to make their own decisions on how important it is to them.

All i can say is how great and beautiful my GNRCE is. It's a next level awesome experience. Have fun with DICE!

#542 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Did Stern revise their warranty and stop covering know issues?

Did they ever cover known issues? Because i don't have a new GB populated pf nor do i care. Minor pooling on other games i've purchased from them, and there have been many, don't care. Would have never known about it unless some spotted it.

Some of the overall quality on some Stern games has been pure garbage. My IMDNLE was a POS. Didn't stop me from buying future games like JP, EHOH, AIQ, STH and more to come.

#543 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Good job controlling your emotional decisions. Ladies have a much harder time with that.

Sexism is fun!

#544 2 years ago

Meh. Everyone is offended by everything all the time. Don’t care.

#545 2 years ago
619503E4-6C6A-47F3-9D4B-615724076D15 (resized).jpeg619503E4-6C6A-47F3-9D4B-615724076D15 (resized).jpeg
#546 2 years ago

Why? Because people keep buying them/their pins!

#547 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Why? Because people keep buying them/their pins!

This. We complain and cry, but line up to buy more games from them. We KNOW we will get fucked, but we buy them anyway. I dont feel bad if you buy from them and this happens. Play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

I was a huge jjp fan boy. I've given up on them, now. They're pathetic.

#548 2 years ago

I know you think this is hilarious but it’s actually a terrible analogy. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a bad defect and JJP has handled it terribly, but it doesn’t prevent you from driving the car and enjoying it.

#549 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

This. We complain and cry, but line up to buy more games from them. We KNOW we will get fucked, but we buy them anyway. I dont feel bad if you buy from them and this happens. Play stupid games and win stupid prizes.
I was a huge jjp fan boy. I've given up on them, now. They're pathetic.

They may be pathetic but stern isn’t much better. Been waiting for months for them to resolve similar issues.

#550 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Meh. Everyone is offended by everything all the time. Don’t care.

Big difference between being offended and being dumbfounded by stupidity.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mohawk, NY
$ 64.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 2,564 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.