(Topic ID: 259139)

Why is it good to produce a crap load of pinballs?

By pinballOsp

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jurassic pooooo (resized).jpg
    61bYnt9EZ8L._SX466_ (resized).jpg
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

[quoted image]

Now we have two pinballs themed after that^^^^^^

#52 4 years ago

Geezus Levi. Have a cup o cranky with yer whine chaser...

Pinside is ALWAYS delightful and informative. See previous statement.

#53 4 years ago

For a manufacturer, producing to the maxim a hot market brings many advantages.

Your line stays busy. Your employees get better with time, and gain experience on the job. They can produce faster and do better work.

When you are busy and making money, buying parts at quantity discounts is much easier to do.

When you are busy it is easier to order the correct quantity of parts.

And you will have better chances for a suppliers to be in business so you less issues with trying to buy parts.

#54 4 years ago

In short, they are grabbing as much money as they can now before the next serious economic downturn when they have to close up shop.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Complaining is free. Starting dumb threads is free. Claiming you were buying Stern games three times a year and now refuse to buy any is also free.
    Unfortunately none of that shit actually gets you a pinball machine. So despite all the over the top posturing the NIB addicts here will keep buying Sterns because they remain the cheapest and best games on the market and the only ones you can have in your home a day after they are announced.

Idle hands are the devils workshop and unfortunately there are a lot of idle hands here.

I bet initially, maybe, just maybe, stern and the other companies had a concern about the comments on pinside during nascent stages and then realized it did nothing to their revenue stream and now just point and laugh.

#56 4 years ago

Wasn’t long ago when people could near break even when selling a lightly used recent title pin. Seems like recently people are losing thousands on similar titles. Is an increase in used pin inventory part of the reason? Not saying I know......just asking

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

shhh, dont tell anyone, but there was three companies in the 60s 70s 80s producing 10 new titles each per year

There were more than just 3 companies.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Some companies are in the business of making money.

And being able to employ and pay their people and other overhead? Jobs, wages, benefits, sort of like the general nature of how business works!

Good one Odiner

How dare they make more pinball machines

#59 4 years ago

You produce more. You make more money. You keep the consumer happy and locations thrive
    with more of a selection. Unfortunately, with mass production leads to quality issues as we have
    all seen. I played and enjoyed plenty of Fords the other day but only one Ferrari. I preferred
    the Fords.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Idle hands are the devils workshop and unfortunately there are a lot of idle hands here

Something tells me that there’s not many idle hands around here

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In short, they are grabbing as much money as they can now before the next serious economic downturn when they have to close up shop.

Or move to Mexico.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Wasn’t long ago when people could near break even when selling a lightly used recent title pin. Seems like recently people are losing thousands on similar titles. Is an increase in used pin inventory part of the reason? Not saying I know......just asking

Perhaps pinball is like some kind of spherical object, which may soon pop!?!?!?!?

You don't lose thousands of dollars of "slightly used" titles, you lose hundreds, unless you made the mistake of buying a Houdini. Not sure where you got that from.

Quoted from underlord:

Geezus Levi. Have a cup o cranky with yer whine chaser....

You ain't lyin. Lately pinside is the piss in my cheerios.
    I'll take all the Stern pros at "thousands" under NIB price, please PM me.

Years ago - the 2000s - you'd lose $1,000 by opening the box on a Stern. Even stuff like LOTR and Simpsons. Times have indeed changed.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And being able to employ and pay their people and other overhead? Jobs, wages, benefits, sort of like the general nature of how business works!
    Good one Odiner
    How dare they make more pinball machines

Speaking of Stern. How they managed to almost fold and eventually move into larger facility to bring more pinball to us.
    Thank goodness for Sparky and Metallica to get things rollin for them. Keep it coming fellas!

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Wasn’t long ago when people could near break even when selling a lightly used recent title pin.

And that probably indicated to Stern that it was leaving money on the table.

#65 4 years ago

I'm glad for the choice. I hope to see more pinball in 2020 not less. Bring it on!

#66 4 years ago

As long as the manufacturers produce 1 or 2 killer games a year, I’m good.

Last year, Stern produced a killer game...JP2. If the other games are turds, who cares? Occasionally, you get suckered into a lousy game...so what? You sell it to someone that feels differently.

The ONLY issue I have with Stern producing 15k games a year is the impact on quality. I believe/hope they will work through their quality issues and improve their support. Still takes too long to get parts & solutions out of the company.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Wasn’t long ago when people could near break even when selling a lightly used recent title pin. Seems like recently people are losing thousands on similar titles.

Thousands?

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Wasn’t long ago when people could near break even when selling a lightly used recent title pin.

And that was kind of weird, right? In what kind of market are new and HUO prices basically the same? Seems like a sign of low supply.

Quoted from Extraballz:

Seems like recently people are losing thousands on similar titles. Is an increase in used pin inventory part of the reason?

So HUO is 10-20% off of new (except for a few outliers like WWE and RZ). That seems more normal to me than the old days when you could charge basically full price for a used game because Stern couldn’t get them off the line fast enough to fill demand.

#69 4 years ago

There is a BKLE in the marketplace sale pending for $6400. Isn’t that like $2600 off retail?

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

There is a BKLE in the marketplace sale pending for $6400. Isn’t that like $2600 off retail?

To be fair, No Fear has a better layout and is more fun to play, and costs half that or less.

#71 4 years ago

A "crap load" is an acceptable amount. A "shit ton" would be too much.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

1. That's not retail, that's MSRP
    2. No one pays MSRP

I mean I'm not an LE buyer but I don't think they do....no other level does.

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Now we have two pinballs themed after that^^^^^^

Actually 3 if your talking about Jurassic Park. A lot more than that if you are talking about the pile.

#74 4 years ago

I can't afford a new Ferrari, but I can afford a Honda or Stern pro.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

1. That's not retail, that's MSRP
    2. No one pays MSRP
    I mean I'm not an LE buyer but I don't think they do....no other level does.

So maybe the buyer got $600 off MSRP. Thats still $2000 lost.........

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

So maybe the buyer got $600 off MSRP. Thats still $2000 lost.........

I don't know the exact prices but you have a fair point here.

I will say that there are weird ones every so often when games don't click. Obviously, it was not super well received, much like WWE which would be another one in the major hit department. I don't think it's realistic to use this one example as the norm.

As a pro buyer, not paying MSRP , I have sold GOT, GB, IMDN, & JP2 at very little loss, ranging from 3 months to over a year of ownership.
    But true, I don't keep track of Prem+ rates.

EDIT: For sure the sale rate has gone down recently, totally agree there, but not by a ton.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Obviously, it was not super well received,

I went in with high hopes when I heard there would be a new BK.

Played one and thought it had to be the most phoned in layout SR had ever done. The whole packed seemed like a dumbed down version. So it convinced me to find another No Fear.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I went in with high hopes when I heard there would be a new BK.
    Played one and thought it had to be the most phoned in layout SR had ever done. The whole packed seemed like a dumbed down version. So it convinced me to find another No Fear.

To me the LE/premium was considerably worse than the pro on this pin and the pro was a dud.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

To me the LE/premium was considerably worse than the pro on this pin and the pro was a dud.

I don't know what kind or how deep the code is, but when you don't want to shoot the thing or look at it any more than a game or two, none of that seems to matter.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't know what kind or how deep the code is, but when you don't want to shoot the thing or look at it any more than a game or two, none of that seems to matter.

I was excited to try Stern's Star Wars at PGRE, played two games, walked away with a "meh" feeling. I really wanted to like Deadpool because of the theme, but I played two games and ended up not liking it because it left a really bad impression by severely punishing me for missing my initial shots with my admittedly lower skill level. Then I finally got to play a few games on JP and the clouds parted with angels singing.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from cynric:

JJP makes titles for children and old people with rules for über-pros. Spooky is unobtainable in Europe.

I agree with regards to JJP and ur not missing anything without Spooky.

#82 4 years ago

I just watched a little of the stream for Stranger Things. What horrible sound affects. Sounds a lot like the last one, and the one before that, and before that..

Put somebody's favorite theme on them, rearrange a few things, and keep on shitting them out!

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So it convinced me to find another No Fear.

If that's really the case, Daddio, I know a guy with a nice one with new ramps and rocks and suchlike to install. Also cab decals. Lemme know and I'll talk to him. He's in no hurry and looking for someone who wants to do it up right.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

If that's really the case, Daddio, I know a guy with a nice one with new ramps and rocks and suchlike to install. Also cab decals. Lemme know and I'll talk to him. He's in no hurry and looking for someone who wants to do it up right.

I got mine and have been playing the snot out of it. All it takes is a few plays on some of the newer games to realize how superior that one actually is.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I got mine and have been playing the snot out of it. All it takes is a few plays on some of the newer games to realize how superior that one actually is.

I have a No Fear. It's enjoyable enough on a lark.

You don't find it a little...uhh...repetitive?

Every game is kind of exactly the same and if you play too many games in a row those rock themes are stuck in your head for a week. And not in a good way!

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don't find it a little...uhh...redundant?

Not unless I start getting thru Meet Your Maker on every game. It's fast, it's loud, it's proud. I get that ball ripping so fast around those orbits it's just a blur sometimes.

And if I need a change of pace, there's like 20 or so other machines here. But it gives me the speed I need.

#87 4 years ago

If you want to talk about redundant, come flail away on BK Sword of Rage.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-it-good-to-produce-a-crap-load-of-pinballs/page/2?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.