Cherry2.png
Apply_cold_water_to_burned_area.jpeg
image-362.jpg
Peterbra.jpg
FGY TSPP.jpg
FGY Side Decals.jpg
FGY Green Flipper.jpg
FGY Orange Flippers.jpg
There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It does? Hmmm, I'll have to make a go at Sperm Attack again!! I've gotten to within two evil monkey jackpots of it before.

Yeah - it's been years...but if I remember correctly - you use the mini playfield to shoot down the sperm ships within a timed round, then you go down to the main pf and have to get a bunch of shots, then get the ball back into the scoop to get up the mini again and shoot down more ships. I'm sure it's more complex than that...it's been a while...I just remember it being really cool and bummed that I'll never see it during a legit game lol

#102 10 years ago

I believe it's a low build number too.

So 700 FG's and 1200 Shrek's? Or was the rest of the 1200 parts to build FGY meant they built 500 Shrek's?

I was at the 2013 Southern Pinball Festival and Gary Stern was there too, doing a question/answer.
Now I did not attend the question/answer, but someone I talked to that did asked Gary what his favorite pin of all time
that Stern made was and guess what his answer was?
Yep. Family Guy.
Unless Gary was being faceious!

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I can fart in a coffee can and ask $800 for it.

Is that $800 for the can or to watch you do it?

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I believe it's a low build number too.
So 700 FG's and 1200 Shrek's? Or was the rest of the 1200 parts to build FGY meant they built 500 Shrek's?

One again - I swear this is the last time I'm going to do this.

TIMELINE:

March/April '07: FGY released. Stern had ordered 1200 games-worth of parts

~August '07: 700 FGY had been sold...they didn't think there'd be more demand. It's decided to retheme the game as Shrek to use the remaining 500 parts.

Fall/Xmas'07: Demand started to pick up - so FGY continued to be built!

Spring '08: Shrek released....FGY STILL in production! Demand is there! Games are built and sold!

Rest of '08: Both games still in produciton

Jan '09: The last batch of FGY are made

That is the story. Please no one ever say there are only 700 FGYs made again lol

I'm saying it's between 2000-2500. Mr Pinball guide claims there are more. If you wanna lowball the game's production numbers, go with my estimate.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

It did, but FG taking it to the 21st century. Simpsons is still a great show, but what it changed, it changed in its first decade. FG beget American Dad and Cleveland show don't forget.

Family Guy was cancelled for 3 years in early 2000. It made it back and has done well but it simply can't be compared to The Simpsons. Family Guy is good at fart and puke comedy. It is not smart humour at all. It's easy to understand... I fart on someone's Corn Flakes and do,it over and over and over again and you laugh. I don't find the Simpsons to be as stupid or dumbed down.

In terms of pinball, I was not a big fan of the gameplay on Shrek. Perhaps family guy is funnier and a better theme... I am sure there are at least a few fart jokes in there... Sperm multiball? Maybe fun but Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode just sounds a little more sophisticated for me... Hahaha. But those of you who enjoy the sound of Sperm mode can go for it! Not coming near my house... (Pun intended)

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

What I did/did not pay for a BBB has no bearing on this thread which is about value of a FG. My opinion is worth as much as yours

Quoted from badbilly27:

It should be a $2K pin IMHO.
Not a slam on the theme - just the game is boring besides sound package.

Quoted from badbilly27:

The value of a pin is what people are willing to pay for it.

Quoted from badbilly27:

They eventually sell like all pins do - market dictates price.

I thought it was ridiculous that you valued FG at $2K just because you don't like it. My opinion is that I don't make up lowball values for games just because I don't like them. I think that's super trollish.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Family Guy is good at fart and puke comedy. It is not smart humour at all. It's easy to understand... I fart on someone's Corn Flakes and do,it over and over and over again and you laugh. I don't find The Simpsons to be as stupid or dumbed down.

You're actually missing out on a lot of smart humor, maybe you only caught a so-so episode or two. Don't tell Rarehero but I haven't watched in a few years, but I can think of lots of brilliant moments from the years that I did. You should try again sometime.

Just like Rarehero should try Archer!

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One again - I swear this is the last time I'm going to do this.
TIMELINE:
March/April '07: FGY released. Stern had ordered 1200 games-worth of parts
~August '07: 700 FGY had been sold...they didn't think there'd be more demand. It's decided to retheme the game as Shrek to use the remaining 500 parts.
Fall/Xmas'07: Demand started to pick up - so FGY continued to be built!
Spring '08: Shrek released....FGY STILL in production! Demand is there! Games are built and sold!
Rest of '08: Both games still in produciton
Jan '09: The last batch of FGY are made
That is the story. Please no one ever say there are only 700 FGYs made again lol
I'm saying it's between 2000-2500. Mr Pinball guide claims there are more. If you wanna lowball the game's production numbers, go with my estimate.

Thanks for the re-hash. Never saw that data/timeline before. I had no idea that FGY had survived almost two years off and on the line at Stern. (March 07 to Jan 09)

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You're actually missing out on a lot of smart humor, maybe you only caught a so-so episode or two. Don't tell Rarehero but I haven't watched in a few years,

You haven't missed anything lol...except Brian dying then not dying.
But watch it in 2 weeks or I'll smack you

Quoted from Aurich:

Tell them to re-animate it... then I'll check it out.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When Brian had his death scene at the hospital I wept like a little girl, you bastard! lol

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Rarehero should try Archer!

It seems to have taken an unusual turn...

#112 10 years ago

Archer is better than Family Guy by far. And I LOVE Family Guy!

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

When Brian had his death scene at the hospital I wept like a little girl, you bastard! lol

I had nothing to do with it. I brought him back....so....you're welcome.

#114 10 years ago

Ok. So if I understand it correctly, according to Rarehero there were only 700 FGY made and 1200 Shrek, and lost the license to make more.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

But watch it in 2 weeks or I'll smack you

Tell ya what... April 6th happens to be my birthday so I will celebrate by watching FG just to see what I have been missing. However one burp, puke or fart joke and I am shutting it off for ever and ever. Also any more of those jokes where they do the same stupid thing over and over again... How is it to be funny the 7th time when it was not funny the first? That will get a disconnect as well.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

I thought it was ridiculous that you valued FG at $2K just because you don't like it. My opinion is that I don't make up lowball values for games just because I don't like them. I think that's super trollish.

What a game is worth is opinion. I've stated very clearly in this thread, IMHO I'm not into the game. I would rather have a WPT which I value a little more than $2K. My opinion. The thread is why are FG so expensive citing ebay ads? LOL. I haven't seen those prices locally as I stated (also in full disclosure not @ $2K either - but that's what it's worth to me). So is this thread for owners (like you) to boost the value?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say no. Just an owner who is protecting his investment and ignorant to all the posts where I've explained my rationale. I've offered that just because I value it differently than someone else - to each their own, spice of life to be different. But you cut and paste there keyboard cop. Start the troll mob with pitchforks because it's a lazy way to respond rather than engage in constructive debate like Rarehero has engaged in. The art of respectful debate is lost.

Trollish - how quaint Francis.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

What a game is worth is opinion. I've stated very clearly in this thread, IMHO I'm not into the game. I would rather have a WPT which I value a little more than $2K. My opinion. The thread is why are FG so expensive citing ebay ads? LOL. I haven't seen those prices locally as I stated (also in full disclosure not @ $2K either - but that's what it's worth to me). So is this thread for owners (like you) to boost the value?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say no. Just an owner who is protecting his investment and ignorant to all the posts where I've explained my rationale. I've offered that just because I value it differently than someone else - to each their own, spice of life to be different. But you cut and paste there keyboard cop. Start the troll mob with pitchforks because it's a lazy way to respond rather than engage in constructive debate like Rarehero has engaged in.

Trollish - how quaint Francis.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I had nothing to do with it. I brought him back....so....you're welcome.

O.k. So are you gainfully employed by Family Guy or are you just a big fan that overstates his significance to the show? Pinchroma, is that you? Just out of curiosity, is your last name Chevapravatdumrong?

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I will look at the ruleset again because I do try to be objective.

Yes, I recommend you do. FGY is one of the best stacking games ever, which you clearly haven't discovered yet. Try stacking Crazy Chris, Ipecac, Happy Hour and Stewie multiball, then tell us how you like the game.

On default settings with the center post enabled, it is an easy game. Disable the center post, set the upper playfield to sudden death + timer (both feature settings), jack the back legs up some and the game will be a lot more fun. No other adjustments needed.

http://www.pinballreviews.com/frev.htm

http://vimeo.com/15771417

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Archer gooooood. How long before Stern releases Archer Vice Pinball?

#121 10 years ago

I noticed a few USED FGs on ebay for well over 6000 and over 7000 dollars.
I bought my NIB TSPP for 3695 plus tax in April of 2003.
I bought it directly from a dist. I located in the phone book.
It's the only pin I've ever purchased.
Now, I'm thinking how nice it would be to have a FG right beside it.
It wasn't until I started hanging around on Pinside that I discovered I wanted/needed another pin.
I'm jealous as hell.
Your gameroom pics are amazing.
Why can't I find a Family Guy for a reasonable price?
Is FG so far advanced that it needs to be twice as expensive?

You can and you will. Be patient. Make an offer you think is fair and can afford. At the peak of the market HUO FGs were $5k. That peak was nearly a year ago now. Many folks are still in a last gasp of pricing games really high. Kinda like people today pricing their homes like its 2006. Those people aren't really interested selling.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

O.k. So are you gainfully employed by Family Guy or are you just a big fan that overstates his significance to the show? Pinchroma, is that you? Just out of curiosity, is your last name Chevapravatdumrong?

I think Greg has been a writer on the show. Definitely more than a fan.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Writer, animator, director. When it comes to Family Guy, Greg will certainly be the one to know. Pins...not so much.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Disclaimer: that was a joke, see the big ol' smiley?

#124 10 years ago

WTH? Am I just the worst pinball player ever? The thought of Family Guy being easy has never crossed my mind, even with the center post. I've owned this game about 4 years and I can't beat it.

Quoted from phishrace:

On default settings with the center post enabled, it is an easy game.

#125 10 years ago

Also, the ability to double flip through the Stewie quote at the begining of Stewie pinball would be AWESOME. I've always wanted this. It would help with the flow greatly IMO.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Yes, I recommend you do. FGY is one of the best stacking games ever, which you clearly haven't discovered yet. Try stacking Crazy Chris, Ipecac, Happy Hour and Stewie multiball, then tell us how you like the game.

On default settings with the center post enabled, it is an easy game. Disable the center post, set the upper playfield to sudden death + timer (both feature settings), jack the back legs up some and the game will be a lot more fun. No other adjustments needed.

I will. I'll find one locally to play where I can put at least a dozen more plays on it. I'm not promising I can get past the shot layout distaste but I will try again to see what you guys are passionately defending. Thanks for link.

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I will. I'll find one locally to play where I can put at least a dozen more plays on it. I'm not promising I can get past the shot layout distaste but I will try again to see what you guys are passionately defending. Thanks for link.

The fact that it is not a flowy fan layout is one of the appeals for me. I like variety. I certainly respect anyone's opinion of a game, though.

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

The fact that it is not a flowy fan layout is one of the appeals for me. I like variety. I certainly respect anyone's opinion of a game, though.

Id like to say it has the best unique flow in any game I've ever played. The shot setups are sweet and flow like butter. The ball returns from made and missed shots are set up beautifully and there's so much to do. FGY is definitely one of the better games in our hobby. And yes, it's better than shrek because the music and voice overs on shrek are way more repetitive and irritating. FGY gets the SKB stamp of approval! Been to speed attack once in my 4 years of ownership. Hell of a game and certainly miss it.

#129 10 years ago

Quoted from Borygard:

Writer, animator, director. When it comes to Family Guy, Greg will certainly be the one to know. Pins...not so much.

Ouch....

Apply_cold_water_to_burned_area.jpegApply_cold_water_to_burned_area.jpeg

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

From your collection I'm guessing you're just not into non-fan layout Stern games. TSPP and FGY are definitely more unique layouts...maybe it's just not your thing. You seem to like Lawlor games, though - and FGY is Lawlor through and through...and TSPP is Lawlor-esque, IMO. I think the "plasticy" feel of TSPP is caused by all the tapered plastic post sleeves. I've replaced them all with color Cliffy post sleeves, which don't have that "thunk" when hit. I think that solves that issue.

Quoted from jalpert:

WTH? Am I just the worst pinball player ever? The thought of Family Guy being easy has never crossed my mind, even with the center post. I've owned this game about 4 years and I can't beat it.

Yeah, I have progressively gotten worse at the game lol...it definitely has not gotten easier with time. I think the great thing about the layout is that a missed shot has very spontaneous ways to bounce around before it gets back to you - keeping you on your toes. I feel like Tron has this as well...probably one of the things that makes it hard to "master" these games...missed shots are unpredictable!

Never been a writer on FG.

Quoted from vicjw66:

Sherlock, you cracked the case! I am indeed a small asian woman!

#131 10 years ago

I know two things from this thread:

I wouldn't mind having a Shrek or Family Guy.

I really want to know WHO THE F--- IS RAREHERO FOR REAL WTF.

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I know two things from this thread:
I wouldn't mind having a Shrek or Family Guy.
I really want to know WHO THE F--- IS RAREHERO FOR REAL WTF.

Vic solved the mystery!

I am:

Cherry2.pngCherry2.png
#133 10 years ago

I use an alias, but at least I can say that most people actually call me by my alias off the interwebz, lol.

#134 10 years ago

Just who is this masked hero ?? And why does he laugh maniacally when posting terribly unflattering pics of small, Asain, comic geniuses ?? Hmm...

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Just who is this masked hero ?? And why does he laugh maniacally when posting terribly unflattering pics of small, Asain, comic geniuses ?? Hmm...

I know, that is a horrible picture...but it's the only one I could find w/ her name on it lol....here you go:

ChevaCherry_ap2_c.JPGChevaCherry_ap2_c.JPG
#137 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

» Vimeo video

I watched that vid and thought "man that looks simple enough". So I went downstairs and soon realized that I'm not Bowen. The pin routinely kicks my ass.

#138 10 years ago

Im still going with Chris Pine. My 2nd guess is Lamont from Sanford and Son.

#139 10 years ago

I met rare hero. He is hot! ....I mean she!

#140 10 years ago

Either way, masked man, you live in southern California and have 26 pins. You're certainly one of my heroes.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Vic solved the mystery!

I am:

Chemotherapy vanguard vCr with an extra r?

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

So I went downstairs and soon realized that I'm not Bowen.

An all too common realization around here I think.

1. Watch video of Bowen
2. Try and play
3. No profit

#143 10 years ago

I would like to offer this in regard to FGY. It is an OK game. We play league in a public location that has about 30 pins. Each player gets to pick one game per night. There are mostly Sterns but also games like Genie, BK, NF, EB, Paragon, Apollo 13, etc. Family guy has been picked 305 times over the course of 14 seasons of play. That might sound like a lot, but many games have been picked more than that. Many. Games like 24, AC/DC premium, Avatar, BDK, Genie, RBION, S-M, TF pro, and Tron. So it seems it is a popular pick in league, but most players find themselves picking something else instead.

Also FWIW, Shrek has only been picked 92 times despite being an identical layout.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

In 2014 we're pretty used to "dirty" comedy on TV by now, especially in animated form....but keep in mind FG started in '99, and was pushing the limits of what you could say/show on a network TV show with FCC standards. Now it almost seems quaint. Not sure if the show deserves credit for pushing network TV boundaries....perhaps it's just the evolution of pop-culture in general. Remember when Simpsons started in the early 90's and people were shocked by "Eat my shorts"? I had to turn my Bart Simpson shirts inside-out in Jr. High lol.

It was a pretty big deal when Bart said "Hell" and Simpson's did its fair share, but Family Guy took it way way way beyond that. Can you put "finger bang Meg" and "Hell" in the same category?

Then there is the whole star wars saga and what FG did with that. I'm in no way minimizing what Simpson's has done for TV, just saying that they finished pushing the edges last century and FG pick up where they left off. Before both was Flintstones. I'm not minimizing its place either.

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Family Guy was cancelled for 3 years in early 2000. It made it back and has done well but it simply can't be compared to The Simpsons. Family Guy is good at fart and puke comedy. It is not smart humour at all. It's easy to understand... I fart on someone's Corn Flakes and do,it over and over and over again and you laugh. I don't find The Simpsons to be as stupid or dumbed down.
In terms of pinball, I was not a big fan of the gameplay on Shrek. Perhaps Family Guy is funnier and a better theme... I am sure there are at least a few fart jokes in there... Sperm multiball? Maybe fun but Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode just sounds a little more sophisticated for me... Hahaha. But those of you who enjoy the sound of Sperm mode can go for it! Not coming near my house... (Pun intended)

I'd agree there are a lot of fart jokes in FG, but if you look past it there's so much more.

A lot of pokes at what's going on in current mainstream media. As per my other post I'm not minimalizing Simpsons. Just saying that what it did it did in its first decade. Still a great show. I see it as Flintstones, Simpsons, FG - with Futurama thrown in there somewhere.

#146 10 years ago

I'd agree there are a lot of fart jokes in FG, but if you look past it there's so much more.
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
A lot of pokes at what's going on in current mainstream media. As per my other post I'm not minimalizing Simpsons. Just saying that what it did it did in its first decade. Still a great show. I see it as Flintstones, Simpsons, FG - with Futurama thrown in there somewhere.

Yeah maybe it's just me but I just don't find that stuff so funny. And those clips are about as funny as it gets. Maybe if Bert puked or something it would be funnier.

#147 10 years ago

Maybe what's being missed here as well.........there is an entire age group ( teen boys in particular) that like the type of humor on FG. Nothing "shocking" about that......pretty tame compared to what's available for kids nowadays.....

Case in point......just had another massive ( 6 classmates of my Son) weekend sleepover/ party and can tell you all of my machines were getting a workout.....it was awesome ( for me) anytime they would abandon the xbox and play pinball for awhile......I took a poll of favorite machine ...and everyone of them picked FG. One comment was " some of your other games were fun, but "ancient history" theme wise ( yes....hurt my feelings a bit).

Is FG too expensive? That's sort of ( totally) up to the one who is buying it. A great machine? I stinkin love it, and don't really care if anyone has a different opinion....it's all good. Glad I found a nice one, and it's not leaving. The best thing for me?......if any machine pulls a kid off a video game and gets them to enjoy something else...major win!!!....ok...off my soap box now...have to go play some FG.... .....mark

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

if any machine pulls a kid off a video game and gets them to enjoy something else...major win!!!....

^ this for sure

But did you let them play in Adult mode?

#149 10 years ago

^ this for sure
But did you let them play in Adult mode?

Yes I did.....nothing coming out of that machine that they don't hear everyday in school ( actually, some of the stories I get from him are way worse)....I'm not saying it's meant for younger kids ( hence the switch), but geesh, I watched him play Grand Theft Auto w some of his friends, and made them turn the damn thing off.

#150 10 years ago

Does anyone know the suggested retail price of FG, when it was released? How much did the savvy buyer have to pay for a NIB? Does a NIB FG still occasionally come up for sale?

I paid $2000 NIB. Long story........
Terry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saugerties, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-family-guy-so-expensive/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.