Cherry2.png
Apply_cold_water_to_burned_area.jpeg
image-362.jpg
Peterbra.jpg
FGY TSPP.jpg
FGY Side Decals.jpg
FGY Green Flipper.jpg
FGY Orange Flippers.jpg

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

I noticed a few USED FGs on ebay for well over 6000 and over 7000 dollars.
I bought my NIB TSPP for 3695 plus tax in April of 2003.
I bought it directly from a dist. I located in the phone book.
It's the only pin I've ever purchased.
Now, I'm thinking how nice it would be to have a FG right beside it.
It wasn't until I started hanging around on Pinside that I discovered I wanted/needed another pin.
I'm jealous as hell.
Your gameroom pics are amazing.
Why can't I find a Family Guy for a reasonable price?
Is FG so far advanced that it needs to be twice as expensive?

#2 10 years ago

Low production run and demand for it......glad to own one

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Me too .

#4 10 years ago

And yet the highest completed sale price Bostonpinball has ever recorded off ebay for Family Guy is.....

#5 10 years ago

$3695 for a TSPP NIB???? man, i wish i was born earlier....

#6 10 years ago

I'm in the market for any game at this point, but family guy is on the established list of games I want. It's unique and has an appealing theme for the most part. I like it, but I agree that it's just commanding more than what I would feel comfortable paying for it.

#7 10 years ago

There are some listings on Mr. Pinball right now for under 5K.

#8 10 years ago

Yep, just supply and demand. Shrek is the same game with different artwork and it doesn't go for as much because the demand is lower. And I like Shrek more personally.

That said, I just listed a Family Guy with only a couple hundred plays in the market section for $5900. If it doesn't sell here, it's going to be the cheapest (and nicest) one on eBay.

#9 10 years ago

I am pretty proud of the flippers I custom painted for the game. Decals are pretty sweet too (purchased).

FGY Orange Flippers.jpgFGY Orange Flippers.jpg
FGY Green Flipper.jpgFGY Green Flipper.jpg
FGY Side Decals.jpgFGY Side Decals.jpg

#10 10 years ago

Not that low....but it's a great game and it tends to stay put once purchased.

#11 10 years ago

Click on the Ebay sold listings....there's one that went a bit over 5k...the other few are much lower.

Wanting to sell at a price and actually getting that price are two different things

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Yep, just supply and demand. Shrek is the same game with different artwork and it doesn't go for as much because the demand is lower. And I like Shrek more personally.
That said, I just listed a Family Guy with only a couple hundred plays in the market section for $5900. If it doesn't sell here, it's going to be the cheapest (and nicest) one on eBay.

Dude you are the man!

Always selling great pins at good prices!!!

#13 10 years ago

It's the translite and cabinet artwork.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's the translite and cabinet artwork.

I thought it was Fart Multiball. ; P

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Why is Family Guy so expensive

I used to ask the same question. Then I bought one... and now I know why...

#17 10 years ago

Family Guy is the complete package. The audio is AMAZING, you will hear new quotes years later. It's a Keith Johnson ruleset, so the software has some goodies, but not as deep as some of his other games.

It has an EPIC toy, the pinball inside of the pinball is very unique. It's got great dots, great art, sometimes though the translite takes some crap.

I love mine, it's a good game, not great, but as a complete package is very very good.

I've never been to Sperm Attack, and I love that TV wizard mode makes you play the modes or else it's worth nothing.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not that low....but it's a great game and it tends to stay put once purchased.

I have heard from 300 upto 1000 were made....do you have a number? You are more "in the know" than I

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I love that TV wizard mode makes you play the modes or else it's worth nothing.

LOVE this aspect of the rules. I also like the timed jackpots once you're in TV wizard.

One of my favorite Sterns.

#20 10 years ago

I have heard from 300 upto 1000 were made....do you have a number? You are more "in the know" than I

Over 2000.

I've explained this a billion times - but once again - Steve Ritchie once said that 700 FGY's sold, that's why Shrek was made, to make use of the extra parts. So that time-context specific story has been taken out of context and many people still believe that ONLY 700 FGYs were made....but that 700 number was from a few months after FGY's release...demand and momentum picked up - and the game continued to sell and remained in production for years.

#21 10 years ago

Thanks for the info Mr. Hero....like I said....you know a lot more about it then me.

#22 10 years ago

According to the Mr. Pinball folks, Stern made 3,300.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

sometimes though the translite takes some crap

Needs an official Rarehero alt translite. Demand it!

#24 10 years ago

Does anyone know the suggested retail price of FG, when it was released? How much did the savvy buyer have to pay for a NIB? Does a NIB FG still occasionally come up for sale?

#25 10 years ago

So with 3300 made and them not changing hands often just lends to how good a total package the game is. No? FG in general is going to be viewed as a game changer for what it did to TV. Maybe even more so than simpsons. Plus Seth MacFarlane does not appear to be a one hit wonder and is going places. This all adds to the longevity of the pin and it's "keep" factor once someone has it. It's aging well as both FG and Seth are still mainstream while Shreks popularity is tied to a new movie being released. not a theme for lots of guys but is for many for sure. Demand still outpaces supply even at 3000+ manufactured.

If stern was thinking outside the box they'd approach Seth to get another voice pack. Seth and Fox might both bite Wishful thinking for sure but would be awesome and every collector with the game would probably pay for it.

#26 10 years ago

Here's a there's real nice FG for sale/trade on Minneapolis Craigslist.

#27 10 years ago

I stopped reading when you said Ebay...

#28 10 years ago

Now, I'm thinking how nice it would be to have a FG right beside it.

... good choice! have both side by side in my Gameroom ... looks good, and always fun playing them!
Tee

#29 10 years ago

FGY TSPP.jpgFGY TSPP.jpg

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

FG in general is going to be viewed as a game changer for what it did to TV. Maybe even more so than Simpsons.

What?! No. Nooooo way. The Simpsons broke nearly all the ground that Family Guy sat upon.

#31 10 years ago

It should be a $2K pin IMHO.

Not a slam on the theme - just the game is boring besides sound package.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Didn't you just spend $20,000 on a NIB BBB? and you think Family Guy should be worth $2K because it's boring besides the sound? LMFAO!!!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Needs an official Rarehero alt translite. Demand it!

mirrored backglass

Does anyone know the suggested retail price of FG, when it was released?

I paid under $3500 each for TSPP and FG NIB.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

mirrored backglass

If I ever find a printer who can do those I would so work with Rarehero to make it happen!

#35 10 years ago

Family Guy was to be one of the most hilarious pins ever made. Some of the lines in it before you launch a ball are just funny. I still hear stuff I haven't heard before.

#36 10 years ago

Does anyone know the suggested retail price of FG, when it was released? How much did the savvy buyer have to pay for a NIB? Does a NIB FG still occasionally come up for sale?

Mine had a sales receipt in it. The price was $3,900.

#37 10 years ago

Me three!!!....if I could just find a set of those decals somewhere.....

#38 10 years ago

True. I bought a NIB FG when they first started shipping. It was my first NIB pin.
I think I paid like $3900 + $230 Freight back then from PinballSales.Com.

If I had to deplete my collection of 17 pins, it would probably be the last to go.

Incredible game and I too have not gotten to Sperm Attack Wizard Mode.
I keep the game on the default difficulty level (Medium Hard?) and 3 balls which makes it
hard to score high and gives me a mode to still look forward too.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

Didn't you just spend $20,000 on a NIB BBB? and you think Family Guy should be worth $2K because it's boring besides the sound? LMFAO!!!

What I did/did not pay for a BBB has no bearing on this thread which is about value of a FG. My opinion is worth as much as yours my friend.

The theme and sounds on the game are very solid. The gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. The min-playfield is clever but turns out to be a novelty after the first 3 plays. They didn't sell that great initially which is why they built Shrek's as Rarehero points, then it got a strong uptake thereafter.

The value of a pin is what people are willing to pay for it. What I've found are those who bought a FG are big fans of the show and tend to keep them - which is why they don't come up that often. When they do, I've seen them sit in my local market for awhile because original owner values it high. They eventually sell like all pins do - market dictates price.

If someone wants to buy one for $5k + no problem here - just like you shouldn't have issue with what someone wants to buy a BBB NIB for. Enjoy the game. My opinion - it's overpriced but I don't begrudge someone for thinking different.

Now lets rub poop over each other and call it a day.

#40 10 years ago

It's a pretty fun game, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for one. From that era, I very much prefer TSPP and LOTR. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Shrek, but held off.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I don't like the game or the theme. Even with a much better theme, Shrek is a $2000 HUO game to me. This is not PL's best work. The mini playfield loses its appeal after the third game and just becomes work afterwards.

#42 10 years ago

Yeah I don't think mine will leave unless I'm just getting out completely. TSPP is also great. Picked up both NIB within a few months of one another back in 07, for wait for it, $8k shipped.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I don't like the game or the theme. Even with a much better theme, Shrek is a $2000 HUO game to me. This is not PL's best work. The mini playfield loses its appeal after the third game and just becomes work afterwards.

Yep. Plus when you hit the ramp on the mini play field on the return the little pachinko ball bounces over the flippers and drains 75% of the time.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

The value of a pin is what people are willing to pay for it. What I've found are those who bought a FG are big fans of the show and tend to keep them - which is why they don't come up that often.

I've owned a FGY for 7 years. I like the show's premise but have only actually watched a couple of episodes.... I watch very little TV in general. The game's play stands on its own. TVWM is the best hurryup mode ever created on any pinball game. The mini-pinball is much more than a novelty... make it timed only and it becomes much more challenging to complete all the shots when you don't have all day to trap and shoot. TV modes are varied enough, crazy chris is a good stack mode, and little touches like the triple super secret stewie jackpot really help make this game fun and challenging to play. The playfield has unique flow.. ramp to Lois to ULF to tunnel back to LRF to Chris and back to the tunnel... keep the ball moving. And of course, some of the best call-outs ever...

#45 10 years ago

It's that damn Stewie I tell ya! Gotta get him in his time machine to roll back the price clock.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

What I've found are those who bought a FG are big fans of the show and tend to keep them - which is why they don't come up that often. .

I hate the f*cking show yet still love the game. Gameplay stands on its own...SOLID!

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I hate the f*cking show yet still love the game. Gameplay stands on its own...SOLID!

Curious then...do you like Shrek?

#48 10 years ago

FGY & all other games cost more because NIB Premiums are $6,000-$7000 today. You can't compare FGY to a "Pro" machine today. You must compare it to a "Premium". FGY pricing is is a bargain when compared to current NIB pricing of "Premium". This happens when a stripped down & code incomplete game is $4600, it makes a feature rich code complete game the better buy in many cases. Sometimes Sterns biggest competitor is their own game.

Do not confuse eBay list prices for sold prices. Click on the "sold" filter on the left to see legit sales. Also click on FGY on pin side, then the "discuss it" link & look for "MFS" icons. There you will find recent Pinside FS threads. Its safe to assume in most cases the list prices are not the sold prices there either unless its a fire sale.

Buy one for $4k to $5k & be happy

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Curious then...do you like Shrek?

It's the same game, so yes. Not a Shrek movie fan, though...would rather have FGY

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If I ever find a printer who can do those I would so work with Rarehero to make it happen!

Greg and I spoke about this a long time ago. Didn't go very far. I do happen to have a whole roll of DuraTrans at the ready just in case he changes his mind

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-family-guy-so-expensive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.