Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is deathsaving cheating?”

• Yes, of course! Duh. 104 votes
      65%
    • Nope, it's a real skill of pinball, not cheating. 15 votes
      9%
    • No, but should be illegal in competitive play. 41 votes
      26%

(160 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F18BAC91-6D1A-4AC4-BA7C-E2951043BAB7 (resized).jpeg
    D9B8A7B4-984B-43B3-8FB9-F1D355046D8E (resized).jpeg
    F15E802A-6429-4974-84CF-BA7B060DC072 (resized).jpeg
    3EE63957-5011-4EE6-B29A-36A65D8B2C99 (resized).jpeg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    TWD Apron Lip (resized).jpg
    2D6EE1BF-CDF6-4D65-8D28-AEB0E7106818 (resized).jpeg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1721767.main_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 3 years ago

As an operator, it’s my fault if people can do death saves (I’ve set the tilt too loose).

If I set the tilt tight to prevent death saves, then I’ve removed a significant part of the skill of pinball: nudging.

Of course, a ten cent rubber nub below the flippers can prevent death saves entirely...at which point the tilt sensitivity won’t matter.

It would probably make sense to use those in tournaments and then you can eliminate the no death save rule.

Also, “damage to the machine” is pretty weak. Six years of my games on location and I’ve never seen a nudging related injury to any of my pins. Honestly, a slide save or death save on a wood floor is probably less damaging to the game than people who rock the game back and forth to eek out ten extra pop bumper hits. Sometimes I just imagine the leg bolts boring ever widening holes...

1 month later
    #111 3 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

A funky tune played and the DMD displayed a death save animation.
    Just curious why the game would recognize/celebrate a death save if it was considered cheating?

When you tilt, games will also play funky tunes and display custom animations.

Death saves are illegal in tournaments because we don’t want games to go on forever if the tilt isn’t set tight enough or the tilt bob has fallen off.

Manufacturers can do whatever they want in the code, but I wouldn’t want those decisions to automatically override tournament rulings.

If Rick and Morty were to award you a free 1,000 points for restarting your game in the middle of it, that wouldn’t suddenly legalize restarting your game in the middle of a tournament.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-deathsaving-considered-cheating?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.