Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is deathsaving cheating?”

• Yes, of course! Duh. 104 votes
      65%
    • Nope, it's a real skill of pinball, not cheating. 15 votes
      9%
    • No, but should be illegal in competitive play. 41 votes
      26%

(160 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F18BAC91-6D1A-4AC4-BA7C-E2951043BAB7 (resized).jpeg
    D9B8A7B4-984B-43B3-8FB9-F1D355046D8E (resized).jpeg
    F15E802A-6429-4974-84CF-BA7B060DC072 (resized).jpeg
    3EE63957-5011-4EE6-B29A-36A65D8B2C99 (resized).jpeg
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    TWD Apron Lip (resized).jpg
    2D6EE1BF-CDF6-4D65-8D28-AEB0E7106818 (resized).jpeg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1721767.main_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I use these cabinet door-slam protectors from 3M.
    I put them on the games and don't need to worry about people shoving them around

Interesting. And creative idea!

Personally, I wouldn't like these adhesive nubs because -- outside of tournaments -- I think that deathsaves are awesome. Similar to @85vett, as long as someone isn't kicking the legs or bashing adjacent cabinets, people are free to deathsave on the pins in my collection. I have my tilts set pretty tight, that even a smooth deathsave will usually get you two warnings on default debounce settings. On a rare occasion, you'll only get one. So it's similar to the ability to do a massive slide save for SDTM or wicked shimmy: if you haven't used up your dangers, then you can attempt to save the ball by making a big move.

We even have a group started locally here called Death Save Disciples (DSD for short), along with a sweet sweet T-shirt showing the grim reaper trying to take your ball in a R outlane drain situation.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

My death save skills are probably fading tho...

Nah... it's like riding a bike.

I still remember the first major tourney I went to, seeing you play for the first time, and marveling at how good you were at nudging the pin -- and how much I had to learn.

1 month later
    #113 3 years ago
    Quoted from UltraPeepi:

Here is where it gets tricky...if a player is in multiball, and makes a nudge that results in a death save, is that disqualification? Or is it just considered a Lazarus. Does it have to be intentional? What if there were 4 balls bouncing around, and one death saves? If I were to witness the move, and there were another plausible reason to nudge the machine at that moment, I'd probably let it go. If however, the player was at 2 balls, one was cradled on the left, the other drains out the right, and a death save is performed - THAT's a DQ.

In competition, a death save is a DQ, regardless of whether you're in single ball or multiball play. Enforcing it could be more difficult, as you suggested, since a player could be nudging simultaneously to influence balls still in play. It comes down to sportsmanship. Like some of the other infrequently encountered rules in pinball comps, if the potential infraction can't be assessed with certainty, then as a TD, I would ask the player, "Did you nudge it to try to death save the outlane-drained ball?" If yes, then DQ. If no, then play on... and I'm then watching the player's remaining ball or game to ensure there aren't any other gray areas that he/she is attempting to circumvent.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-deathsaving-considered-cheating?tu=Snailman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.