(Topic ID: 254874)

Why is Co-op Mode not in every modern game?

By joelbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Co-op mode be available in every modern game. ”

• Heck yes. Great feature that is needed. 66 votes
    80%
  • No thank you. Don't waste the developer's time. 16 votes
    20%

(82 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dd (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rager170.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 4 years ago

Because pinball is about your score and not about getting through the game...

If you simply want to see the modes, add more balls in the options.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I remember when video games were limited in this way too. Then people started playing video games at home, and game designs expanded.

Funny enough, this does remind me of video games also. But the difference is that games that expanded its designs are not score based most of the time.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It'd be interesting if pinball adopted a percentage complete statistic. Games that don't easy lend themselves to scores will often include a percentage of how much of the content has been finished.
It would also work well whenever games can connect online and provide some modicum of persistent player progression over multiple sessions. Persistent player progression tracking pioneered by Call of Duty 4 has become the standard in video games. Even if you have a bad game, you're still progressing towards *something* (and combine this concept with the right theme, such as Pokemon, and you have a bona-fide hit)

Its an interesting thought and I know what you mean (Call of Duty fan here).

My only issue with connecting online with these machines is that they are all slightly different and then you have those who simply cheat. So not sure what would be done for connecting online?

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

If online connectivity does become available then you could end up with achievement tracking. It could track if you competed every mode individually, or all in one game. Hit a certain number of combos, etc. Basically giving you tasks to complete besides just high score.

And how do you stop people from cheating and messing up those statistics? That is the number one issue with gaming in general.

If its for personal achievements, then ok but then you dont really need online connectivity as it could be just something added to the stats.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I was just responding to a previous post. I'm not opposed to achievements but my main focus is Co-op mode. I just don't see any harm in adding this feature to new games as it only requires coding in the different options when clicking the start button so the game knows which players are playing on a team or if they are all playing together.

Ok i see.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Cheating could easily be handled by the community in pinball. Player rating and DNF (Pinball equivalent of DNF) would weed them out so quickly. Everyone knows who the legit players are in pinball, if complete nobodies start dominating leaderboards its not going to be hard to figure out if its legit.

I dont know if I agree about that. And even worse, if a newbie does start doing well and is called a cheater...

As much as I love comparing my scores to others, cant help but think its best to keep these machines offline.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think you design around it. The barrier to cheat is so low that you have to accept that in the design of any online features. It pretty much makes public high score boards meaningless without adding a lot of unnecessary hardware. But people could still have a "friend's list" to compare their scores with other friends that they have some level of trust with. Personal achievements and the ability to continue progress forward would still be meaningful for people that want to engage with it. The serious competitive players and any TD that has organized a large event would love games that could automatically report scores back to the software running the tournament.

I just think for pinball, there are too many variables. Each machine plays different, people setup angles different, people change settings, people add things to playfield to make things play differently... The list goes on.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Ok so have a large caveat when comparing scores to scores of different machines. Still plenty of other benefits to going online. I think any operator that wouldn't be interested in being able to remotely update the game, check status reports, check audits and coin drop, and remotely adjust pricing and game features is lying. (Digital security of course has to be on point)

Oh, for those aspects it would be great!

Im really just talking about comparing scores with others online.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You’re a slave? I mean, someone with zero free time and whose every move is dictated by an owner?
Because I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for a company to prevent you from doing things in your free time.

Not if it is something associated with the current job or poses a threat somehow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
$ 14.00
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 300.00
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rager170.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-co-op-not-in-every-modern-game?tu=rager170 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.