(Topic ID: 254874)

Why is Co-op Mode not in every modern game?

By joelbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Co-op mode be available in every modern game. ”

• Heck yes. Great feature that is needed. 66 votes
    80%
  • No thank you. Don't waste the developer's time. 16 votes
    20%

(82 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dd (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 4 years ago

It's not just co-op the complete lack of any online functionality is crazy in this day and age. Stern doesn't so much as have a companion app. It would be so simple to build a super fun online mode into pinball. You wouldn't even need the online connectivity to be synchronous. I swear when I'm in a position to write my own code again I'll reach out to a pinball company and do it for free.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sounds like an awful lot of work for the coders, and a horrendous waste of resources for a feature that won't be used much and will be of value for very few. Unless I've missed all the threads where people complain that code updates happen way too often in pinball, I don't think there's much demand for that process to become even slower and more laborious.
if Pinside ran a pinball company it would be out of business in a month.

It's not a lot of work at all. There are so many low hanging fruit in pinball right now its crazy. This is literally stuff you throw at a co-op.

#51 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Great! You are a pro. You should volunteer to do it for free, I'm sure you can bang it all out in an afternoon.
You've been going on for years about how simple and easy pinball coding is. Why not prove it?
There's plenty of folks, like treyboy, who desperately want to believe it.

Like I already posted in this thread, if I was allowed to write code outside the company that pays me I would happily help a pinball company interested in this for free. I'm still about 10 years from retirement though so can't happen anytime soon.

P.S. I have never worked on pinball so I don't know how hard that is to do. I'm fairly confident I could handle it. I have however implemented all of the stuff we are talking about in video games so adding it in to a pin would not be difficult at all.

#55 4 years ago

Cheating could easily be handled by the community in pinball. Player rating and DNF (Pinball equivalent of DNF) would weed them out so quickly. Everyone knows who the legit players are in pinball, if complete nobodies start dominating leaderboards its not going to be hard to figure out if its legit.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You’re a slave? I mean, someone with zero free time and whose every move is dictated by an owner?
Because I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for a company to prevent you from doing things in your free time.

It is 100% legal and common, a company has every right to restrict you from using the knowledge and resources attained from them at anything they consider related or competitive. So long as I work where I do they are perfectly justified in firing me if I write any kind of software that is gaming related. Also any software I was to write on my own time they have rights to ownership. So if I was to write code for say Stern the company I work for would claim ownership. I did get legal release to color a title for ColorDMD but it was very clear that I was not to so much as look at a line of code or make any code related suggestions to them. Lots of guys at work get released to write code for hobby projects but those projects must be completely unrelated to anything they do at work. It's the same in any business if an employees takes money away from the business they are completely justified in firing them. Lots of working guys do side jobs that are to small or inconvenient for the company but they sure as shit do not under bid their employer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 300.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-co-op-not-in-every-modern-game?tu=darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.