(Topic ID: 254874)

Why is Co-op Mode not in every modern game?

By joelbob

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Co-op mode be available in every modern game. ”

• Heck yes. Great feature that is needed. 66 votes
    80%
  • No thank you. Don't waste the developer's time. 16 votes
    20%

(82 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dd (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago

Because it's a novelty that isn't worth investing time or money in.

it doesn't help sell games.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Why does pinball always have to be against each other.

That's just how it works best.

Besides, every pinball machine already has a "co-op mode." Just set the game to 6 or 10 balls and take turns.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I disagree. I bought TNA specifically for the co-op mode..

So which games that you didn't buy would you buy if it had a co-op mode?

Munsters?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

I don't get this...Why is it a novelty to offer new ways to play a game? I would love if my games had co-op, great way to play together instead of against.

It could confuse location players, who can sometime barely grasp the most basic concepts of pinball.

It would take time away from developers' more important tasks.

It's pointless. Previous attempts at "offering new ways" to play have failed. I'm sure Dredd's "Supergame" wasn't just intended for use in one game.

I really wasn't aware that so many of your were passionate for co-op pinball. It really seems like something most would try once or twice and never try again. One of those attempts would be to force family/wives/kids to play a co-op game with you, which they may do to humor you, before going back to whatever it is they'd rather be doing. I can't argue with you though, If you like it, you like it. You have to convince the manufacturers it's worth their time, rather than convincing me it's a fun idea.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

+1 for co-op mode on Stern and JJP games. It would definitely get used at our house. I'd love to play with my young daughters, instead of against them. Yes, I know there are ways around it like adding more balls and taking turns, but not the same. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to incorporate this into a code update. If it's too hard, then I'm sure Scott Danesi could be consulted and paid by Stern and JJP to put it in their current games. Unless he has a non-compete, of course.

What you should be doing is pitting your daughters against each other in a battle royale for their father's approval.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

An achievement system would be incredible for games like JJ POTC. Achievements for exploring the wide breadth of content, trying different character combos, getting rare rewards, etc... It would always give the player something else to shoot for.
Yes people can take off the glass and cheat. Yet people cheat online all the time and it still hasn't stopped video games from greatly benefiting from connected play.

Sounds like an awful lot of work for the coders, and a horrendous waste of resources for a feature that won't be used much and will be of value for very few. Unless I've missed all the threads where people complain that code updates happen way too often in pinball, I don't think there's much demand for that process to become even slower and more laborious.

if Pinside ran a pinball company it would be out of business in a month.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It's not a lot of work at all. There are so many low hanging fruit in pinball right now its crazy. This is literally stuff you throw at a co-op.

Great! You are a pro. You should volunteer to do it for free, I'm sure you can bang it all out in an afternoon.

You've been going on for years about how simple and easy pinball coding is. Why not prove it?

There's plenty of folks, like treyboy, who desperately want to believe it.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

To the minority here, I would say just because a game has the option for co-op doesn't mean you have to use it. If you really hate playing with friends(if you have any) instead of against them, then just play the regular way. If stern decided to make this a standard feature, which i hope they do, just don't use it... enough said... onto speculating the next game.

"Why is Co-op Mode not in every modern game?"

That's the name of the thread. People were invited to point out that Co-op is dumb, won't sell any games, and would be a general waste of time like other novelty formats like "supergame" and "timed play" have proven to be over the years.

I hardly ever start threads. But if someone invites participation I'm duty-bound as a good pinsider to contribute. So if you don't like it take it up with the OP!

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

You think it’s dumb*
I like it

Most people here know the difference between a fact and a value judgment.

I always think it's silly when people get upset that "you didn't state that it's YOUR OPINION!" or "stop presenting your opinion as fact!!!"

That disclaimer is completely unnecessary and is not required to communicate with others.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
$ 14.00
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 300.00
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-co-op-not-in-every-modern-game?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.