(Topic ID: 30404)

Why is Captain Neo Bashing Pinside?

By pinster68

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    IMG_0321.GIF
    image.jpg
    3793552.jpg
    neo-skywalker3.jpg
    64fb3_ORIG-south_park_gay_orgy_pile.gif
    0050596d_LebowskiOpinion.jpeg
    cant-we-all-just-get-along.jpeg
    cant-we-all-just-get-along.jpeg
    2lo3g9i.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

Posted on today's RGP "Pinside is way better than RGP now...." Thread.

"try getting tech support over there. I think most don't know how to change a light bulb. The ones that actually know what the hell they are doing are still over here anyway.

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

"try getting tech support over there. I think most don't know how to change a light bulb. The ones that actually know what the hell they are doing are still over here anyway.

He can be harsh but in a way he's right. When I need tech help I rifle through old posts on RGP first. I'll also do that before asking a question there so I don't get bashed upside the head for asking a question that's been brought up a thousand times already.

Pinside is more fun as a social group...to me at least.

#3 11 years ago

Nothing like taking a dig at board members.....while posting "for sale" items on the same boards.

#4 11 years ago

So, why do you feel it necessary to add to the drama? If he's not happy he has every right to post his dislike.

I'm going to quote my wifes first grade policy.

"are you hurt? Are you in danger? Is anyone in danger? No, then you're tattling. Go tell the president.". For which she has them walk to the poster of the current president.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

"are you hurt? Are you in danger? Is anyone in danger? No, then you're tattling. Go tell the president.". For which she has them walk to the poster of the current president.

Freaking genius teacher...classic.

#6 11 years ago

Isn't this the same guy that thinks Ms World is the greatest game of all time because it has a little nudity? 20K for that game that plays more like Mr. and Mrs. Pacman

#7 11 years ago

From the title, it sounds like the thread was bashing RGP and he was chiming in with the way he feels. No harm with offering up his opinion, it is the internet after all!

Man, I'd love to see an RGP vs. Pinside tournament.

#8 11 years ago

I have posted for help on pinside no one seems to respond much really

#9 11 years ago

Guess I better head on over to RGP next time I need to learn how to change out another burnt out LED on my ACDC.

On the other hand it is a great place to look if you're in the market for some Nike shoes. (:

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

Pinside is more fun as a social group...to me at least.

I agree. I kind of got to the point with the hobby a couple years ago thanks to some stupid people in it that it was more stressful to me than positive, and it was turning me off. That's when I found Pinside forums, and have basically stuck over here since then with rare exceptions.

It also doesn't help that Google Groups freaking sucks now, and I have never found another news reader client I much care for... That happened at about the same time.

Quoted from jimster102:

I also agree with this. When I have tech stuff, I go to RGP and search there and then post there. I've been a little surprised by how some people here do seem to revel in the fact that they know nothing about how the machines work, nor do they want to. And that's fine, but I personally think that how they work is just as important, so it is a weird balance. Most tech things here get very shallow replies, if any, though. I try to chime in on those when I can, but it's tough. Part of that is that everything else is so active, the site loses track of new tech questions before I even notice them.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimster102:

Maybe because you never follow up on the tech help you do get

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-wwf-royal-rumble-flipper-problem

#12 11 years ago

yeah i bought a new board but have not had time to install

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Most tech things here get very shallow replies, if any, though. I try to chime in on those when I can, but it's tough.

I disagree....Having been a long standing member of RGP and a year long member of Pinside, I've seen some marathon tech threads here with very personal interest help resolve issues. If you notice, many of the historical 'tech' heavyweights such as Rob Anthony, Cliffy, Bryan Kelly, Chris Hibler, Clay, Korn, LTG, John Wart, et al are spending time on Pinside answering questions. I really don't get the whole US vs THEM mentality with the thread on RGP and now this thread on Pinside. I spend time on both, enjoy both for different reasons. Yes, RGP being around so long, has a huge wealth of stored knowledge, and I too search RGP often before posing a tech question here or there. But given that, I disagree with the assertion that Pinside somehow lacks the technical expertise that resides on RGP. That may have been true a year ago, but no more.

#14 11 years ago

His opinion isn't any better or worse than anybody else's. Just because he says something doesn't make it true, or false. It's just his opinion.

If you have a tech problem, the LTG from RGP is the same LTG on Pinside. I'm sure 90% of the people on RGP also read this site, and post on this site.

LTG, Cliffy, Clay, McCune, John Wart Jr, Chris Hibler, Chris Hutchins, Tony from GLModular, Rob Anthony, Vid1900, Bryan Kelly, etc..., and many, many more, all have posted on here, or are regulars that have gone out of their way to help people.

Even Neo posts here regularly- not so hard to go back and forth from site to site. (Yeah, I know RGP isn't a "site" but rather a "newsgroup", but 90% access it through RGParchives, or Google Groups so it might as well be.)

EDIT: Just read the above post by Robertmee- great minds must think alike

#15 11 years ago

I am not trying to bash pinside either i use this site way more than rpg just stating something i noticed on here

#16 11 years ago

"Why is Captain Neo Bashing Pinside?"

Same reason a dog licks his balls, because he can.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

If you notice, many of the historical 'tech' heavyweights such as Rob Anthony, Cliffy, Bryan Kelly, Chris Hibler, Clay, Korn, LTG, John Wart, et al are spending time on Pinside answering questions. I really don't get the whole US vs THEM mentality with the thread on RGP and now this thread on Pinside. I spend time on both, enjoy both for different reasons.

Maybe it's just perception that I have, but I try to follow the tech stuff because I like that sort of thing and figuring things out, even though I'm not a "heavyweight" or anything, but in glancing at the front page here just now I saw zero tech posts. Whenever I go on RGP, I see a whole ton.

When I have posted stuff, I have felt like the replies are better and more in depth when I post at RGP. When I really want to know something though, I'll email the "heavyweights" that are friends direct or something.

Again though, I'm not trying to make this a RGP Vs. Pinside, but I do see how that perception can be made. It hasn't stopped me from posting here lately though.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Under pressure, obviously. Other than lashing out maybe in pure resentment over others here owning his honies, consider the source. Very interesting that someone who can be a piece of work about how knowledgable he is is complaining about where to get support and so open to showing how much he seems in denial about what the current trend is.

Not a criticism, more of an observation. It is all the same to me who he chooses to be and how he chooses to behave.

Dan

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

but in glancing at the front page here just now I saw zero tech posts.

Look closer.

#20 11 years ago

I have seen a lot of tech posts here and have answered a few myself.

A Pinsider actually sent me a $25.00 gift certificate to Pinballife for one, something that has never happened on RGP.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimster102:

I find this surprising. So I took a look at some of your recent tech posts:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-all-data-east-flipper-boards-the-same
    I responded and even also explained why you probably weren't getting many responses. That went ignored. Others responded.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-wwf-royal-rumble-flipper-problem
    Robertme responded promptly and with a huge amount of detail. You abandoned the thread.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-hook-pinball-kicks-out-two-balls-at-start
    You got prompt detailed responses

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwf-rr-weird-problems
    Here, your problem is sort of hit-and-miss. I still cant read it and tell what you're trying to say is wrong. It's pretty hard to follow some of what you write. Often, I'll read a thread like that, and if I have to work really hard to make sense of the problem description, I'll just move on. I figure if the person really cares about getting help, he can at least take the time to properly describe his issue. If he can't, why should I take my time typing out help?

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

So, why do you feel it necessary to add to the drama? If he's not happy he has every right to post his dislike.
    I'm going to quote my wifes first grade policy.

Man I'm glad my kids didn't have your wife as their 1st grade teacher.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

Why? That actually sounds like a pretty good policy.

#24 11 years ago

I visit both RGP and Pinside and lately spend more time on pinside. There seems to always be some big ego's at play on RGP and it gets old. Pinside is moderated so those ego's or alpha dogs cant run loose. I have always tried to help others out with repairs IF I can via advise, board work or a little welding at times (if its the same Pinster68 I think I welded a ramp for him from RGP)

Both places are outlets with pinside more of a PG or R rating and RGP is "adult" at times.

#25 11 years ago

lol new people cant handle the old ways is all. lets all holds hands and talk about who gives a **** what grail pin you got now.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

I thought it was the only worthwhile post in this thread.

#27 11 years ago

Wow. Just wow. OP, and you wonder why some people are saying that the posts here tend to be more juvenile? (Note the use of the conditional "tend" before you go citing a substantive post or 2.) You fall under Sam Axe's description of spies....

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I thought it was the only worthwhile post in this thread.

I'm still waiting for one of those.

#29 11 years ago

Wow - now THAT was a call-out, and well justified. I cannot STAND it whenever someone cries for help, is given multiple ideas to try and we all sit back and wonder "What happened...?"

#30 11 years ago

Maybe Captain Neo does not like change, and has issues with changing from RGP to Pinside.

He does seem to be stuck in 2010, as he quotes ridiculously low prices on RGP whenever someone does a price check.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from gdeleon:

He does seem to be stuck in 2010,

I was thinking more 2000

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

pinside is still good enough to advertise 20k machines on. might be suffering from a superiority complex. what a jerk off

#33 11 years ago

you know I thought he was an alright guy ?
    not sure what we did to tick him off

#34 11 years ago

because it's true. When it comes to selling games and shooting the shit, this site is great. When it comes to tech support, it sucks balls. Every tech support question i've had, I posted on here and RGP. THis one, gets not replies..or maybe one RGP member that's here, chimes in with some help. RGP has 15 different people chiming in with useful help. Wasnt' stating it to be mean, I was stating it as fact. When it comes to fixing shit, this site is not the go to.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

because it's true. When it comes to selling games and shooting the shit, this site is great. When it comes to tech support, it sucks balls. Every tech support question i've had, I posted on here and RGP. THis one, gets not replies..or maybe one RGP member that's here, chimes in with some help. RGP has 15 different people chiming in with useful help. Wasnt' stating it to be mean, I was stating it as fact. When it comes to fixing shit, this site is not the go to.

I have seen good responses here, for a guy who has his own pinball restoration business your not doing yourself any favors shit canning pinside.

#36 11 years ago

it's not shit canning. Every tech problem i've had has gotten jack shit for responses. It might not be because of lack of knowledge, it might be for the fact that when you post a question. It takes about 30 min before it's about 50th from the bottom, because you have 50 other threads asking which color LED's they should use, and who wants to join the Shit tales owners club. If you offer helpful tech support whenever you can, you shouldn't be offended anyway.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's not shit canning. Every tech problem i've had has gotten jack shit for responses. It might not be because of lack of knowledge, it might be for the fact that when you post a question. It takes about 30 min before it's about 50th from the bottom, because you have 50 other threads asking which color LED's they should use, and who wants to join the Shit tales owners club. If you offer helpful tech support whenever you can, you shouldn't be offended anyway.

This is going south, fast.

#38 11 years ago

and I did say, the ones who offer the most tech support are old time RGP members. Hence why you get more tech support on RGP and faster.

and i'm not stating it as opinion, i'm stating it as fact. As what I have personally seen and experienced. I ask all my tech questions on both forums, and it never fails that pinsides floats at the bottom with no replies and RGP is filled with troubleshooting advice. It might change in the future as more of the old school RGPers merge over here, but that's the way it's been for me up to today. When I really start digging into this Atlantis project i'm working on. I'll probably run into a shitstorm of issues. So we'll see if anything has changed.

And it pisses me off that I have to keep 2 forums active. It would be nice to have one go-to forum, for everything. But that's not the case. Least not yet. So for now, I have to use both RGP and pinside. Both sites have their pro's and faults. If you think RGP is flawless, or pinside is flawless, you are sadly mistaken. But they both have good and bad.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjam:

I have seen good responses here, for a guy who has his own pinball restoration business your not doing yourself any favors shit canning pinside.

Its called irony~

A person that chargers other for help (restorations ?) and complains about not getting free help from others quick enough.

Whats the old saying "If you cant say anything nice......"

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

t's not shit canning. Every tech problem i've had has gotten jack shit for responses. It might not be because of lack of knowledge, it might be for the fact that when you post a question. It takes about 30 min before it's about 50th from the bottom, because you have 50 other threads asking which color LED's they should use, and who wants to join the Shit tales owners club. If you offer helpful tech support whenever you can, you shouldn't be offended anyway.

I am not offended but others who have tried to help you out might be...
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-target-alpha-ball-is-not-advancing-problem - no answer?
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-problem-williams-triple-action-spinning-disc

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

gets not replies..or maybe one RGP member that's here, chimes in with some help. Wasnt' stating it to be mean, I was stating it as fact.

Thats your problem, you think that a member from RPG posting here gets credit for RGP. If they are posting on Pinside as a member, they are actually pinside members that are answering your question. That is a fact.

I lurked on RGP for years and a couple bad apples kept me from getting involved there.

#42 11 years ago

I think there is the same amount of knowledge no matter which group you prefer, there does seem to be more "shotgunning" help on RGP than here.
    One example was the GI on Centaur working intermittently, we had everybody guessing at the problem and no solid reasonable answers. Everything from the PIA is faulty to replace the bridge on the power supply. All wrong and correctly answered both here and on RGP by myself. The small board on the underside needed the connector solder reflowing.
    So I'd say it's the other way round, more concise expert help here and everybody and their dog throwing random guesses on RGP.

I agree that we could use a filter to show new posts at the top of the page though...

#43 11 years ago

Like I said, it might not be lack of knowledge, but more so how fast new posts get lost and fall to the bottom and forgotten about. Either way, it's still frustrating having to use both forums, because RGP has better tech response times and assistance.

If you notice JimJaw on that first of the Whole 2 you posted, I had to respond to my own thread in the beginning so I could refresh it because it already fell off the page with no replies. It wasn't until that refresher, did it get any responses. And only one person responded to both of my trouble shooting questions. One guy, out of all the people on here, that are here every day. The Only guy that can help me. I posted those same questions on RGP. I have 15 different people that replied within the first couple of hours. I stand behind my statement.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

Its called irony~
    A person that chargers other for help (restorations ?) and complains about not getting free help from others quick enough.
    Whats the old saying "If you cant say anything nice......"

Yea, and I do it cheap. I've even been asked by my customers why I don't charge more because I should. and i've told them, because i'm trying to keep it affordable to everyone, not just the elite, and save the average game. Not just A titles. So if you want to restore playfields for around $4 an hour. Go right ahead. How much tech support do you offer? Least I try to throw in advice when i can for issues i've encountered or delt with. On here and RGP.

#45 11 years ago

Neo I am sure your a good guy with a lot to offer to the hobby - but when you say members here dont know how to change out the lamps on their machines thats a massive generalization.

looks like WAY2WYRD really knows his shit and has gone to a lot of trouble to help you with your faults, so if he was to read this thread it might be a slap in face for him.

#47 11 years ago

Way2wyrd does know his shit. especially when it comes to EM's. But i'm sure he's an old school RGP member as well.

And I do know plenty of people that own 10-12 machines and really don't know how to change a bulb. I wasn't making that up. I know at least 5 people personally. There are a lot of new people in this hobby lately (1year or newer) and most of them are here and not on RGP. my first year, i didn't know shit for tech support either, and simple things were chore. Just makes the tech support aspect of here, much more watered down than RGP's old school veterans. Just what i've experienced. not trying to be a dick.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

Stupid post, stupid thread

indeed. But out of all the slander that's in that thread. I feel honored that I have been singled out, and created so much activity.

#49 11 years ago

You

Quoted from CaptainNeo:indeed. But out of all the slander that's in that thread. I feel honored that I have been singled out, and created so much activity.

Better be careful, they might start ganging up on you and try to hurt your feelings, better straighten out there Neo

#50 11 years ago

bah, i'm to easy going to hurt my feelings or get me upset. Unless they start praising shit tales or something stupid like that.

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-captain-neo-bashing-pinside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.