Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by VolunteerPin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4619 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 2 years ago

If there's a perfect pinball machine, it's Attack From Mars. It's probably my #2 favorite game after Twilight Zone, but I recognize that AFM is objectively better.

There's a beautiful simplicity to it. The shots are all fair, but challenging. The game's progression is very simple, but there are options on how to approach it (do I focus on getting to Total Annihilation first?, do I wait for MB until 3rd attack wave or 4th? 5th?, when do I collect my Stroke of Luck shots?, and so on). The sound, music, and art are all best in the business.

For competition, few games offer such great balance. AFM is challenging, but never cheap. It can be brutally hard, but control is always yours.

Between AFM and MM, I very much prefer AFM. I like the Martians more than the Trolls (I kind of hate the Trolls), and I think the scaled back nature of AFM is just more enjoyable to shoot.

I can't really find flaws when I examine AFM. It's just rock solid.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I wonder if we will see colorized animations on this one too? That would be cool.

AFM has a Color DMD.

Edit: Oh, you meant on the remake. Yeah, I hope so.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

The only games to challenge AFM that layout and form (to me) are WPT and AC/DC.

I agree with you there, man.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

What you want to hear: "great theme" -- which is true, it has *great* theme integration. The game puts a smile on my face every time.
What you may forget to consider, but it's true:
-- Name another pin that is 'safer' to play (in terms of layout). You can't. The only consistent danger on this pin is making a great center shot... (doh)
You don't need to know the rules to have fun playing AFM -- all shots are beneficial -- you can flail away without ever looking up at the upper playfield -- most shots return the ball safely to the flippers...
AFM is the *safest* fan layout of all time. There's nothing at all wrong with liking safe or easy. Just be honest about it, next time you are bashing a game for being "too easy"... remember your love of AFM... It is partially due to how relaxing it is to play an easy game.
-mof

On the flipside, most missed shots go to the center or to the slings. With open lanes and a tight tilt, as it should be set up, AFM is actually pretty dang hard. There are a lot of games with safer layouts than AFM, to be honest.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside