7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4619 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

1. Simple but immensely replayable software. It's simply genius how everything works together. This game never gets old.

2. Simple but immensely replayable playfield. It just rules. Smooth, great flow, every shot is satisfying and usually sets up another shot. Plenty to do with either flipper.

3. Awesome art, theme, and humor (it's actually funny unlike MM).

4. It's created an instant litmus test to separate good pinball players from bad ones. If they say "I hate that game it's just shooting up the middle" they are bad players.

5. Awesome sound, dots, voice work.

It's the most replayable game, ever, and no matter how well you do you you always think you can do better the next time. You want to hit start even after hanging 50 billion on it, unlike so many other games were long games are brutal chores that leave you never wanting to play it again.

It's the best game ever made and that's not going to change anytime soon.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I've never had this problem.

Which problem, getting 50 billion on AFM or never wanting to play POTC again after an hour-long game?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would say they like the theme better. Very similar games.
It also earns very well so I assume that helps keeps the price high too.

I prefer the theme in a big way, and also, the rules are much better.

MM actually suffers from the misplaced complaint people often issue at AFM - it really IS just about shooting up the middle. The software doesn't really reward going for all of the shots or trying to "beat" the game and get the wizard mode. It really is all about the castle. Multiball is just another tool to get more castle shots in. The trolls just get in the way, unlike the AFM "gimmick" of moving aliens which is much cooler and a much more attractive target. When I get trolls on MM, I usually just time them out when I'm trying to win.

I understand why people like MM but I've always felt AFM was a much better game, and when MM was going for $7,000 and AFM was going for half that, I always wondered when people were going to figure out how good AFM was. Didn't take too long, really.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

Is and was always a good earner. Had seven on route at the same time, now down to four. Could be at the same place for more than eight years without any complaints, RFM was dead after three months cashbox wise. Best machine ever built.

You got any (good boozy) locations in Berlin I should know about? Will be there for a week this Summer.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I can see all the pluses and minuses ok
Guess I'm trying to figure why it's *so* much money for a basic layout pin.
I suppose *rarity* has a bit to do with it, as IM was somewhat rare and was selling for $6500 (ish) when for no reason more than SM other than there was more demand than supply.
Same token TZ or TAF are not rare so they seem to trade hands lower.
I guess what I'm saying if you take *rare* out of the mix, hard to see how it's that much better than SM just as an example.
I watched the Bowens tutorial was bored to tears.
make the center shot 70 times = profit.

The tutorial bored you? That's really how
You judge games? It's all opinion. If I owned Spider-Man I'd be sick of it in a few days (I'm already sick of it). Afm has replay value built into it and that's why people like it so much.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't know if this is worthy of its' own thread so I'll ask here: what's everyones' opinion on Revenge From Mars?

Mars is the better of the two Pin2ks by far. As far as a worthy successor? I don't know...I mean, the art isn't right (clearly a different artist did it), but the rules, theme, sound and video are all pretty good. The rules are kind of similar in some ways that are cool callbacks like hypno mulitball, similar lock/mb rules, martian attack etc. I'll say it isn't an insulting sequel - it's no Robocop 2 - and I like playing it now and again but it's certainly not in the class of the original Attack From Mars.

An interesting thing about RFM is it is one of the only games - Junkyard too maybe? - that is still priced almost exactly the same as it was before pinflation. $2000-3000 still gets you a nice RFM just like back in the day.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 29.95
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 180.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 149.00
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-afm-so-good?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.