Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 53 days ago by branlon8
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

Adam's Family (OP's thread title)
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Addams Family (from the movie the pin is based on)
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#52 1 year ago

Wow ! Sandler’s wife kinda has a Morticia vibe even

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I don’t think collector’s kids will be selling machines for less than what they are worth.

Depends - lots of estates are just overwhelming to the kids. Now if they hire an estate sale company …

#54 1 year ago

Of all the games I have owned, Addams Family and Monster Bash by far have always been the go to games for guests. They both are approachable and not overly complicated. They also have some really special moments that are attainable by all with great themes. Family members / non pinheads love these games.
    This demand drives the price up.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

(What's in that damn attic?)

FIF-TY MILLION!!!!!!

#56 1 year ago

What makes a particular pinball better than another?

I would answer... magic.

There is a story about Paw Lawler. He had created the best pinball ever made. (The best pinball ever made is the Addams Family). And they asked him why it was so good.

He replied 'There's a lot of magic in that machine.' And then he went on to make the Twilight Zone pinball which is my personal favorite.

Magic in pinball is when there is some combination of shots, objectives, music, lights, sound effects, graphics, toys, all the THINGS in a pinball that somehow add up to something greater than the sum of the parts.

The Addams Family has magic. Something more than the ramp layout. More than the sounds, more than anything that you can name. Something magical.

And I would argue that this is a good thing. It's a reminder that you can't automate pinball design. You can't just put the ramps, the sounds, the rules, the lights and expect every machine you make to be as good as the Addams Family.

I would argue that a lot of recent STERN pinballs are amazing. With every machine, they are putting the 'right stuff', the things they know that take pinball to the next level of enjoyment into every machine they are releasing.

So why don't they have an Addams Family level pinball with every release?

Magic.

Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm personally done with Addams Family. The machine doesn't have anything left to show me, I play machines that have bigger challenges, or that suit my personal preferences. (Twilight Zone).

Every person might have a machine or a way that pinballs play for them that speaks better to where they are in their personal level of pinball play. That's alright.

But the Addams Family is the best pinball ever made. It made more money through the cash box than any pinball in history, sold more commercial machines than any pinball in history, spent more time in the 'operators' list of machines that they want to have in their locations than any pinball in history. It's not as good a home machine as a route machine, so it won't be as highly rated among home users. It's still the best pinball ever made.

I also commented here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-machines-to-improve-your-skills#post-6923243

About the progression curve that is amazing in Addams Family. Check it out.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Huh? It just adds some free points basically with the extra give-aways - same strategy applies regardless. Even on the non-gold you do the same... ramp, chair, ramp, chair, and stack up the modes as much as you can if the chair feed is controllable.
    What makes the game pivot is the reliability of the chair.. and if not, that might push you to a multiball strategy.

Those free points are very significant though…cousin it’s keys, clippings…etc. If a good tourney score for the level of payers and machine setting is 100mm, you can easily get 30% or more of that just from that scoop score boosting. Less reason to play out a mode like shoot cousin it, keep the ball out of jeopardy on the gold roms and just go after the scoop bonuses.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Striker:

FIF-TY MILLION!!!!!!

Damnit, I miss this opportunity. Well done. I honestly LOL'd when I read this xD.

1 year later
    #59 54 days ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

First game I ever bought for my home, played in the wild often prior, and still fun to play ...
    Great callouts, classic toy( Thing is still fun to watch) and a nice, easy ride to wind the evening down or just a fun Pintime.
    Truly believe this game brought many of us back when the idea of putting 1 ( or dozens, lol) in your home became a thing.
    Had mine restored by Chris several years ago....never leaving.....

Never say never. I wish I was aware you were cutting your HEP example loose. I'd have figured out a way to get it. Best of luck with your new endeavors my friend!

#60 53 days ago

How did I miss this classic Jake Fattie thread?

“Why is the most popular game of all time so expensive?”

Like most grand questions In life…it is a total mystery.

#61 53 days ago

This game and Terminator are the two that I remember playing way back when. I usually play them both when I have the chance.

#62 53 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Raul Julia's estate agreed to have his image appear on the Pinball Arcade virtual table, so I doubt there'd be much trouble getting them to agree to a physical remake. It was Christopher Lloyd and Pugsley that were the holdouts. Pugsley doesn't matter much since he's only on the backglass and you could always buy a repro if it bothered you, but Fester is front-and-center between the flippers so they'd really need to work something out with Lloyd.

Is Lloyd the problem for BTTF too? Not long ago I watched a Destination Unkown mini-series where he drove along with Josh Gates as a hokey promotion. After that, I figured Lloyd would sign up for anything.

#63 53 days ago

TAF absolutely holds nostalgic values for several people. Freaking machine was everywhere! But ... to claim it's over all popularity is largely based on nostalgia is painting a picture with a wide brush stroke. Nostalgia can mean either memories of playing OR it's a 90s era pin and has it's own charm. Simply put, supply and demand always commands the market value. Many of these are now in private collections and much less available to the public. Every title receives hype but in the end the court of public opinion ALWAYS decides.
    Hot games of the last decade have drastically changed excluding TAF, TZ and MM. CV and TOM were holy grails at one point and now much less interest in them. Prices dropped. Totan got super hyped at one point, yet another one that the prices settled back down.

Is there a deep rule set? Not compared to todays games but for the era yes.
    Is it easy to complete? Your choice, but yes if you simply use chair, to bear ramp to chair, wash rinse repeat to tour the mansion and "beat" the machine.
    Are there enough different shots to give choice and remove being over repetitive? Yes
    Are the toys engaging and fun? Yes (Thing hand and book case)
    Are there satisfying shots? Yes. Slamming one into the train, slamming one into the bookcase when open. Hitting the 4 way combo (good luck)
    Is there anything gimmicky? I'd argue Thing shoots was ground breaking at the time but now pretty gimmicky.
    Does it compete with machines released in the last decade? Toys wise sure but the rest ... it was a monster of it's own time but the sound sucks and the video portion/code pales in comparison. (excluding pinsound).
    The game is feature packed to the hilt and comparable to todays toy count because Lawler was given a bigger budget to work with. But I can absolutely understand if a game doesn't resonate/connect with a person either.
    I love mine, and likely a staple. My .02

#64 53 days ago

for me it boils down to fun - I could not name a pin I enjoy playing more than TAF.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-adam-s-family-so-expensive/page/2?hl=nevadanutjob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.