Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mostater
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

54B8578A-CC13-4EF8-8AEF-B8925AC2AF09 (resized).png
    A0A5ED98-8765-4571-90A7-E848B26F1AA7 (resized).jpeg
    20230120_183016 (resized).jpg
    20230120_170833 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

YEAH..... It's like going to a bad restaurant and then saying Im giving up food.

Except with food or pinball you have the option of going home.

My experience on location pinball is to not expect much so don't go out of my way unless it is Allentown/Pintastic/York.

Last place we went to in lower NH (Funworld I think) and half the games were junk.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Also - let the location know what’s wrong with their games when you see it.

They knew, there was several signs on the machines aside from the Hobbit that still played but had zero sound.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Supporting the community at every opportunity is critical.

Sounds like someone who advocates for doing business with Classic Arcades.

It's literally the same argument; Regardless of the quality of service, hand them money because PINBALL!

No, I don't think so.

I support the major (AND MINOR) shows because the majority of pins work and work well, there is fellow pinheads to meet and stuff to buy. If the location pinball operators want business, at the bare minimum the equipment has to work to some degree. I'm not going to waste my valuable time and money otherwise. Kudos to the operators who take pride in their operations!

I brought pins to two shows last year for free play which operated flawless despite being hammered by hundreds of players. It's not hard to keep them running right and clean.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Not advocating for just handing people money ‘because PINBALL’… if you read my posts, I am advocating for some less extreme positions about writing off location pinball because these games DO go down, especially when they get a lot of play and require a lot of maintenance. When a location has dozens of games, that can add up to a lot of work… and that takes time to do.

When you drive two states away to visit a advertised pinball location and half the machines are DOWN it gives a bad impression. My experience checking out other locations isn't much better. Unless slack operators step up, location pinball will die. I'm all for maximum exposure to the public hence helping setup a show in a mall last year.

If the machines are broken, the public is going to get the wrong impression.

Quoted from skink91:

Also… I don’t think I know what ‘Classic Arcades’ even is?

Are you serious?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avoid-ebay-seller-classicarcades

#51 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

How much of your play time is spent on:
    Pistol Poker.
    Breakshot.
    Jack-Bot.
    Beatles.
    You can't even find these machines to play... because they were spectacular failures.
    So... Hehe. I disagree with your premise.

In all fairness, Beatles was clearly aimed at the "Beatles collector market" not so much pinball operators.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

LOL. Why would I not be serious? Okay. Now I know… I will avoid some rando eBay seller.

They guy is well known in the pinball community, for all the wrong reasons.

But I digress.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from dboeren:

There are definitely locations that take poor care of their pinballs. I usually try to hit up actual pinball arcades with a bunch of machines, they seem to do better than the bars that only have a couple pins and they're at best a sideshow to selling alcohol. They don't know anything about them and don't seem to care.

The Sanctum in CT is worth visiting if you are in the area, pinball guys who take care of their stuff.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-m-done-with-location-pinball?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.