(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

I am a new pinsider just wanting a friendly discussion on the current pricing of pins.

Every newb for the past 20 years has made your predictions (personal
    wishes, really) and you've all been wrong.

It's simple supply and demand. The only thing that crashes prices is for masses of individual games to show back up on the market simultaneously and for no one to want them. There's no real scenario where that happen....at least not any time soon. Let's say someone puts up a MM for $2000. What happens? 100 vultures fight over it, it's gone in two seconds, and it doesn't change the market a bit. Someone gets lucky, end of story. I got lucky once and got LOTR for $500. Did that one deal crash the market? Nope.

You compare it to the retro game scene....you shouldn't. A NES isn't $3000 for many reasons. There were 34 million NES systems made. Most pinball machines have a few thousand units. If someone wants to play NES games, they don't need any NES. There are emulators, Retro Pi, clones, FPGA systems, Virtual Console. If you have NES you don't need real carts, you can get an Everdrive.

Pinball's physical mechanical nature prevents it from being replaced by a facsimile. If someone gets the pinball bug - they're gonna want a real machine.

#157 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

A bad economy can knock 1-2k off a pin. The economy, if bad enough, really puts a hurting on all things collectible.

The last time the economy was in the shitter, pinball prices kept going up. It almost put STERN out of business...but, the poor economy didn't cause all pinball owners to simultaneously bail on their games.

Quoted from g0nz0:

But I believe there will come a time when all the "super serious and wealthy collectors will own a MM for example", and once one of those pins get listed the only buyers left will be those who are more "price conscious" I guess you could say. Then the price will drop till it sells.

Well this already happened due to MMr. Restored MM's were going for $12-$20k. Now that you can get a new one for $8k, those prices came down. Supply and demand. Same's happening for AFM. Not every game is going to be remade, though.

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Google: "I take forum post WAY to serious and can't resist insulting the poster because I don't agree with him. And I am upset that someone is saying I will lose money on my pin because I spent too much".

To be upset, your premise would need to have some logic and merit behind it. It doesn't. People with EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE are trying to educate you. Try to learn from this knowledge instead of pushing back with snark.

#165 6 years ago

For what? Magic Girl didn't exist in 2007. It practically doesn't exist now. It was never $2k or $10k. Not sure it can even be called a "game", really...lol

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Technically, the game was only made available this year...

Calling MG a "game" is a disservice to actual games.. Magic Girl is more like a "Scam in a box".

#170 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Google: "Lonely Internet Troll"

Google "Projection".

#175 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Sure, if that's what you want to do. Obviously you had nothing of value to add to the discussion and had to resort to attacking the poster of said discussion. But whatever gives you pleasure.

Jumping into a forum filled with tons of people with decades of hobby experience & trying to "educate" them when you know every little about the hobby and its history is going to result in people poking fun at you, especially if you keep digging deeper rather than LEARNING and engaging in a fact-based conversation. When you're all passion/no knowledge yet trying to "pinsplain" to us, that's what we call "pulling a Kaneda".

#208 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Can you provide links to your example?

It's a fact. MB, like MM and AFM is an A-List B/W game that everyone wanted, even in 2007. If they were nice, shopped or restored they were expensive. I got lucky and got my beater piece of shit MB for $4000 in 2012.

#211 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

My point is about why I think overpriced A titles will plummet

Every newb for 20 years has said this. What makes you so brilliant?

They're A for a reason. Everyone likes and wants them. There expensive for a reason. Not enough supply to meet demand.

Want an A title for cheap? Get lucky and find a beater. There's no reason someone who owns and loves a game will sell it for less than its worth.

#217 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

That is exactly the point I was mainly trying to make! Right now a new generation is coming. A generation that doesn't know pinball.

Pinball isn't dependent on generational nostalgia. It only depends on people playing it and loving it. And because machines are only produced in the 100's or 1000's and not millions like video games, there will always be enough people wanting games & not enough games to go around at low prices.

Quoted from g0nz0:

Just watch "Special When Lit". At the beginning when the guy is telling random folks on the street about PAPA. They are all saying "pinball"? Almost like it is a foreign word or something.

That doc was made 10 years ago and even Steve Ritchie thought pinball was dead. Look what happened. Resurgence. And even when it was "dead", games were expensive because "enough" people were into it to keep snatching up the remaining inventory.

Pinball will always be niche....even in its low points. But always remember - not many exist. Even if only 1000 people want a machine, but only 800 were made - the price is gonna remain high!

#347 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

This will be my last post here on general topics for discussion.

No one likes an angry & arrogant newb martyr. Pinball is supposed to be fun. It's your choice to be fun or to be a douche. You're choosing douche. It's not too late, but that's on you.

#471 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Thanks man,
    Yeah, I honestly originally thought that the overall opinion with the community was that people wanted prices lower so it would benefit the whole and everyone could have larger collections. I was so wrong!
    I did some thinking last night and in all fairness if I had an expensive collection of machines I wouldn't want to hear they could lose value so I do understand why it got personal. I honestly didn't realize how overly sensitive some were about their pinvestments.

Dude, you still don't get it. Let me make it simple.

-YES OF COURSE we would all love cheaper pins! Cheap pins rock! I built my collection on cheap pins!

-It's not "the community" that is preventing cheap pins for selfish reasons. It's basic supply and demand. Only a finite amount of any given title exist, and if most have been bought as keepers & tons of people want them, it's just the "everything has a price" factor. MB sells for a lot because that's the amount it takes to pry it from someone who loves it.

-People didn't get personal with you because of their "pinvestments", it's because you posted a stereotypical newb know-it-all type of post, and instead of learning from the information people were sharing, you got arrogant and snarky.

Passion without knowledge will only bring you frustration in this hobby.

Learn. Grow. Fighting experience and knowledge will only make you a martyr for the cause of ignorance.

#532 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Ok awesome. You shared one guys view. Sweet.
    I wasn't aware than once Rarehero posted that the topic is finished. That isn't how a discussion works. Nor is "rarehero" anymore correct than I am. in 10 years we will know who is right, but as of right now it is all up for discussion.

How many times are you going to miss the point?

Stop being a douche martyr.

Listen & learn from those with experience and knowledge...and grow.

Or keep being a douche. Whatever.

#548 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

You love calling people names don't ya... ever think name calling is douchey?

Projection.

Quoted from g0nz0:

And look I know many people like you.

You know nothing, that much is abundantly clear.

Quoted from g0nz0:

People who can't see 10 years in the future no more than I can but have to be right.

Being right isn't the issue. Looking at the information that's available to us is. You've been presented with information and instead of having a conversation about it, you're snarking at every bit of info that comes your way.

Quoted from g0nz0:

At least I am listening to people and going back and forth in the discussion.

You're not having a discussion. You're having reactions to words. You're not actually listening to anything. This "discussion" is very one way.

Quoted from g0nz0:

Because my points are valid and their points are valid and I am enjoying the debate.

You're enjoying the attention. Trolls who call non-trolls "trolls" are trolls.

Quoted from g0nz0:

But I guess you just want me to say "Rarehero" solved it don't ya?
    Come on man.. do you really want me to say it?
    You know you do....
    I will if you want.

Again - you know nothing.

There's been a guy like you every month making this prediction for the past 20 years. The "yous" have been wrong for 20 years. Multiple people have explained why. You keep fighting it rather than understanding it.

#553 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Again.. you know it all.
    Shocker!

Projection. Look at the first post....hypocrite.

#617 6 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

I'm a bit confused by this statement since pinball was about dead in 2008 and stern almost went out of business. I bought my first pin at the end of 2007. It was a TAF that I bought for $2500. I suppose you could argue a TAF cost $2500 pre-recession but pinball was struggling mightily to remain relevant as the operator/home buyer mix changed so I think pinball was already in its own recession before the recession. Prices certainly climbed during the economic recovery.

I got my TAF around the same time and price - but it was not the norm. Collector and reseller prices were much higher. We got lucky - why? Inventory. The warehouses, Craigslist casual sellers, auctions, and operators hadn't been picked clean yet. Those lucky finds are much more rare today because the existing games have been snapped up and reside in collectors' collections or resellers showrooms....or are on route at locations like barcades. So - prices tend to be consistently more consistent these days due to less likely deals like we found pre-2011.

#654 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Magnetic ghostbuster slingshots

That was breaking perfectly good working slingshot tech.

A move backwards.

Never again, please!

#657 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's an interesting change-up after 70 years of sameness.
    The first ramp in pinball was not all that good.
    Neither was the first multiball, or speech, or.....

Interesting doesn't = good or functional. Some pinball things are just things that work. Slings have always worked well being slings. Changing them to magnets didn't do anything other than make them less sensitive to firing (due to 1 switch) & give you cheap deaths by randomly just making the ball drop down the middle for no reason. I love magnets in pinball, but they usually have a reason and purpose for the tricks they're doing. Magna slings don't do anything but make slings into worse-slings. It's a gimmick that wasn't well thought out...but hey, that's one of many things that weren't thought out on GB.

#659 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Plummet? No. However, I think we see prices on the high end games, $7k+, taking more of a hit compared to "lower" priced games. There are more newer higher priced games then ever and only so many pinball dollars to go around. As people want the latest games it means more inventory on the market which means overtime it will impact prices of existing games.

Newer games are too new to be relevant to long term price discussions. If a game is in production, of course used games prices will take a hit. Once it's out of production, the game will have to earn a reputation in order for there to be demand.

"Classic" games should remain relatively stable as their reputations have been earned (good or bad) and their supply is finite (unless they're remade lol)

#664 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Wow, I usually agree with your feelings on GB 100% (I hate the game). However on this point, I disagree. The magna-slings fit the theme perfectly and are something new and different.

Sure they fit the theme, but I don't really think they accomplish anything interesting for the player. Like - if you walked up to it and didn't know they were magnets - you probably wouldn't even notice except you might think they're weak....and then when they drain you you're like WTF. I really never want to play GB again but if I did - I'd rather play the Pro I think. I like Slimer more on the Pro, too.

#666 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha the grass is greener?
    Right ramp that isn't a ramp
    Right scoop that isn't a scoop
    Slings sending most balls down the shitter

You're right - both versions are too fundamentally flawed to exist.

#682 6 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

. All markets fluxuate and the next downturn in pinball with have more to do with the economy than anything else. When the stock market starts to drop, so will pinball prices.

Last time the economy/market tanked, pin prices went up. That's the thing - even though pinball may be an. "Investment" to some people - it's not usually viewed as a traditional financial investment. It's a physical item that is collectible due to the finite amount that exist. No one liquidated their collections for cash during the recession. They were immune to what happened. There was no "pinball bank" that said "Today that $5000 game is now only worth $1000". I've said it before - the only thing that causes prices to "plummet" is a simultaneous mass sell-off. There's almost no scenario where that happens....where 100's of the same titles all of the sudden flood back on the market.

#684 6 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I think that scenario exists in some kind of feedback loop.
    As the prices keep climbing, some people who put x money in a collection that is now worth let's say 5 times as much start cracking and selling off, market gets flooded and prices drop a certain amount.

I think a good majority of existing pinball collectors bought their games pre-bonkers prices. I certainly did. Almost all my games are worth way more what I paid...but, I don't feel like cashing out for the sake of cashing out. I like my games. I'll prob sell a bunch in the future, but due to personal life stuff vs. any relationship to the economy.

#689 6 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

You might not, and people who do might not want to "cash out" and sell everything, but as prices go up so does the pressure to sell some machines which may or may not cause some flooding of the market and act as a feedback loop to the price inflation.

We've already seen prices go up without a mass sell off. To me, that shows the power of pinball! Collectors value the fun and coolness of their games vs. DA CASH.

#699 6 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

We get it, Radrog. You have a nice collection. You can stop posting the same 3 pictures in multiple topics.

He's just learning how to internets.

#729 6 years ago

You are the F'ing king of twisting people's words.

Liar.

You are either so damn rich you are out of touch or you just like being a devils advocate douche.

Really not sure where this is coming from. You sure you're responding to me? You clearly know nothing about me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.