(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#103 6 years ago

The stuff you are saying kind of makes no sense?

Crashes happen when folks enter a market to make money then the returns get lower then expected and they start selling along with a bunch of others that are selling also due to lower returns and then the crash. Do you know any folks getting into pinball to make money? Well why are they getting into pinball? For something fun to do whether it's playing, collecting, working on, modding, playing in tournaments or barcades and meeting a bunch of new friends along the way maybe?

Here is my take - Pinball recently got more popular and took a bump during the recession around 2008ish during a time when folks really valued and respected money more than ever in their lives and made really conscious buying decisions. It was a time when folks were worried about their house values, jobs, the stock market, savings and the future in general. They wanted something they could play in their home with friends and family and pinball provided them that fun and even some comfort. 10 or whatever years later the economy is better and chances are that the same folks who got into it Pinball over the last 10 years are doing a little better also, are more comfortable with their financial situations and have put more money into more expensive pins because they love pinball for one or many of the above reasons. The older school folks who came in before 2008 are folks who may have bought their AFM or TAF for $3000. They love their games and won't move them out the door anytime soon even if the market goes down. They bought pins bead use they loved them and had no worries about future values when they bought. These folks are the backbone of the hobby IMHO. Pinball has and will always be that little break and getaway from the real world for many whether you are a NIB stern buyer, an EM collector or a hipster playing in a barcade. If folks sell then what else are they going to do for the down time? Beanie Babies?

Now if folks stop playing that is when pinball may take a hit, but I just can't stop hitting the start button one more time.

Keep it simple - If you can't afford an $8000 MM then get a $1000 Firepower and just have fun like a bunch of us are having in the hobby.

#428 6 years ago

Hate to say it but pins are still inexpensive relative to other collectibles - go check out prices of what folks pay for graded sports cards and comics, cars, comic book art, guitars, autographs, game worn sports uniforms or movie props.

If you want to make a good comparison go see what $8000 will buy you and see how close you can get to top level items within each of those collectibles. Chances are $8000 will not even get you in the door for an upper tier desirable item. I really think an $8000 ridicously priced pin is more fun to own than what $8000 will get you for any item from the list above. On the lower priced side I think a $1000 Firepower is a lot more fun than any $1000 item from the items above also.

If you think we have it bad you can make yourself feel better by looking around at other hobbies and collectibles lawns. Ours is pretty green. Even though prices are ridiculous!

#475 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Yeah I am insulting people "today".
    Because when I tried to be civil yesterday they insulted me.
    I welcomes anyone who disagreed. I even put in the topic "do you agree? or do you think it will rise".
    Does that not sound like someone willing to listen to both sides?
    Maybe you need to start at the beginning of the discussion and tell me who drew first blood (on the personal hits).
    Because from my knowledge I was talking about an industry and no one personally and suddenly you guys went into:
    "What an idiot"
    "He only owns one pinball machine, what does he know"
    "Another newb who knows it all"
    Etc, etc.
    So if you clowns wanna make it personal, so will I.

Didn't you say that you can afford a $10k game, but you don't want to pay that much?

Some good advice is to find a hobby or activity that is at a certain price where it's value lines up with your value and get into that then.

Or get a Firepower and play that if you can "lower" your standards that much. Boo boo.

#477 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

I do I.T. work for a living. in the 90's I warned a lot of people of why I felt the dotcom phase was never going to pan out. I couldn't believe how much money people were getting to start random idiotic websites. I wanted a lot of my friend to not start one because it made no sense.
    I had no motives. I just posted a theory I had and we all saw how that ended.
    Will I be right about pins? Hell I don't know lol. That is why I am here listening to all sides.
    But I have no motives. Just curiosity.

So did you buy in on the dot coms in the market during the rise and short them in the Spring of 2000 with all your insider knowledge?

#500 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

But see this is where part two of my theory comes into play. I agree that there will always be deep pockets but how many more pockets are coming to the store?
    This is the one thing that makes me wonder the most. Will the next generation (the generation that grew up without pins and arcades) will they even be interested in pin. And if so how many of those (which I believe will be low number) are going to have deep pockets. I believe pin is about to reach that next level. A level it never reached before. That level where pin was forgotten in the past. And that past is catching up with us.
    But maybe I am wrong and a TON of new kids will discover pin and they will all make 100k a year and have no problem paying these prices.... but I got a gut feeling it isn't going to be that glorious.

Ok OP enough with the same old BS and let's here your true prediction.

What year will pinball prices plummet and how much will say a Monster Bash be after this plummeting that you are predicting?

Step up and let's hear it.

#502 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

I love how people like you come in here address OP yet forgetting the OP has 499 post in this forum, 470 of them are people all asking him stuff at the same time.
    Do you think I have no life and I am just sitting here typing nonstop trying to reply to every single person?
    Most of the time I just refresh, see the last post and go from there.

No wonder you are not learning anything.

#507 6 years ago

Ok what year will this plummet you are predicting will happen and how much will your $10k MB example go down in price?

#512 6 years ago

I said $10k MB "example"

Ok comment of buy something you can afford was meant to be an alternative to waiting for a crash to happen.

Bottom line is you just don't value MB at $8-11k while other people do, which is totally fine, but what do you value it at? Like what type of plummet are you talking would get you the keys to this cool game?

#517 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Ok awesome. You shared one guys view. Sweet.
    I wasn't aware than once Rarehero posted that the topic is finished. That isn't how a discussion works. Nor is "rarehero" anymore correct than I am. in 10 years we will know who is right, but as of right now it is all up for discussion.

Pfft you have know idea when the plummet will happen and how bad it is going to be do you?

You could say the stcok market will crash and the housing market will crash and some day you will be right. Maybe next year maybe the year after or maybe.....

#524 6 years ago

Fair enough. Back to pinball then.

#555 6 years ago

Here was my crazy, stupid prediction on the pinball bubble as a newbie a year or 2 getting into pinball back in April 2013 and follow up in 2014. I really focused on the fact the pinball was so much fun and how can people leave something that is so fun? This is a fact!

See how I did?

(Flame suit on) lol

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-pinball-will-battle-on-and-survive

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet?tu=pinnyheadhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.