(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#321 6 years ago

That cargument about brass-age cars is bogus. The problem with those things is they're barely drivable on today's roads - you certainly couldn't use one as a daily driver. They're not as generally useable as say a 1950's or 1960's car. I suppose the pinball equivalents would be flipperless, which are equally as useless. But there's WAY more "modern" pinball machines around than those old bone shakers.

That said, the prices on EMs have been climbing too - I regular see them $1K and more. Which doesn't seem like much but these are games that were $50-$100 when I started. So the tide is lifting all boats.

I have to agree, OP is doing the usual newbie blowhard thing and posting a bunch of crap like they're the first person to ever think of it, even though if you spent five seconds searching Google, you'd see this is well worn nonsense. It's kind of embarrassing.

I mean, if you want to stick to the usual cargument, he's basically saying "The prices of Ferraris are insane! I think the collector market is going to tank in a few years." Really?

#325 6 years ago

Oh yeah, also - almost no one I know played pinball in arcades when they were teens, us 40-somethings all played Pac-Man and shit. We all discovered pinball in our 20s and 30s. No reason the Nintendo generation won't do the same, same as the PS4 generation.

#348 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm sure there's a small natural raising of prices but nothing drastic. Everything around here is still less than a thousand most days.

Same deal - the A-List games are inflating like crazy. I see a ton of $2K+ classics selling. But the thing to remember is they made 10x vids than they did pins. Something like 200,000 Pac-man machines? Insane.

#499 6 years ago

I like how this guy completely ignores people like Rarehero pointing out exactly the problem, which is that he's acting like a troll because he's ignoring everyone, and then calls everyone else trolls.

Mods, at what point can we just call this guy a troll and give him a nice eject?

#510 6 years ago

Here you go, I'll quote his post which pretty much covers it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Dude, you still don't get it. Let me make it simple.
    -YES OF COURSE we would all love cheaper pins! Cheap pins rock! I built my collection on cheap pins!
    -It's not "the community" that is preventing cheap pins for selfish reasons. It's basic supply and demand. Only a finite amount of any given title exist, and if most have been bought as keepers & tons of people want them, it's just the "everything has a price" factor. MB sells for a lot because that's the amount it takes to pry it from someone who loves it.
    -People didn't get personal with you because of their "pinvestments", it's because you posted a stereotypical newb know-it-all type of post, and instead of learning from the information people were sharing, you got arrogant and snarky.
    Passion without knowledge will only bring you frustration in this hobby.
    Learn. Grow. Fighting experience and knowledge will only make you a martyr for the cause of ignorance.

#522 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Ok awesome. You shared one guys view. Sweet.

This is a perfect example of what he's talking about. He's laid out exactly the issue, and you just ignore it because "that's one view." Even though it's the view of pretty much everyone else, myself included.

Guess what - yours is just one too! But somehow yours is right and all the experienced pinball collectors are wrong? Or they're just trolling you?

I mean, come on.

#547 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

And look I know many people like you. People who can't see 10 years in the future no more than I am but have to be right.

I think I'd take Rarehero's predictions over yours, since he's been collecting for at least a decade and has absorbed some actual information in that time.

I've been at this for over 20 years and I agree with him. Are we both just wrong because somehow you know better?

#552 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

I also remember a time they couldn't give them a away.

I started collecting in the 90's and even when it was just me and a bunch of operators at an auction, games still sold for real money. I mean, a Twilight Zone for $800 is crazy cheap now, but that's still real cash when a new game was $3,500. So, again you're wrong.

#568 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

So with that being said I believe it is a "bubble".

But you have no facts or information to back that up, so it's literally just your opinion based on nothing, whereas others have posted tons of information showing otherwise.

So, you're just pontificating to hear yourself speak and ignoring everyone else. That's a textbook troll.

1 month later
    #757 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

1980's - Pinball's Booming
    1990's - Pinball's Crashing

Technically pinball boomed more in the 90's than the 80's - I mean, TAF came out in 1991.

2 months later
    #777 6 years ago

Didn't Stern own or have a stake in Nutting Associates, which is how they snaked the Bally boardset?

2 months later
    #893 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I recall as a kid seeing restored Model T’s going for huge dollars at auctions. Now they are some of the cheapest cars going across the block.

As it relates to 60/70s muscle cars, that is the sweet spot in the auto market and those cars will remain timeless, and hold their value better than the Model T era, across all future generations.

The main difference is that Model Ts have questionable utility in the modern world, given their unique control systems and limited capabilities, whereas 60's cars operate essentially the same as modern cars and can be driven in regular traffic, so they have more general usability.

Just like flipperless games are worthless, and most woodrails, but "modern" (ie. 70's EMs and up) continue to rise in value as they play similarly enough to modern games to maintain their usefulness.

Pinball as a whole might fall out of popular favour again, like it did in the 90s. I'd say there's probably only a half dozen years left before it wans, but there will always be a core collector group.

#898 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

For now maybe. But the whole driverless car thing is coming. Within our lifetime everything currently on the road will be relegated to private tracks, which won't help the resell value on that Old '55.

Yeah, not happening in my lifetime. Self-driving tech is still decades away from being viable and even then it'll be many more decades before they outnumber regular cars. I can see gasoline engines becoming illegal except for a "vintage permit" or something in my lifetime, but not for many decades.

ANYWAY, sorry to add a cargument.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet?tu=jwilson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.