(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g0nz0.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Notice: This topic is just my opinion. It isn't a prediction of the future and I am not looking to upset anyone. I am a new pinsider just wanting a friendly discussion on the current pricing of pins. I am sure this discussion has been rehashed over and over but like I said I am new here and just looking to start a friendly discussion. Some seemed to take i personal so I just wanted to put this notice on to avoid any personal attacks.

I have a very strong feeling that sometime in the next 5-10 years pin prices are going to dramatically drop.

Now I am sure a lot of you are reading this and thinking.... "dude, I just sold my Monster Bash for 15k.. you're an idiot". But the fact that you just sold it for that much makes me lean more towards yes. Let me explain why I believe this is most certain. Here are the reasons I feel it will happen (and please remember this is just my "opinion" and if you feel the opposite there is no need to name call etc. I know that anyone who jist spent 10k on a pin doesn't want to accept this reality, but don't take it personal. If you do feel different please explain your reasoning. I would love to hear it.

1. Too high. Too fast.
    I've seen pin prices over the past 20 years bounce a bit. Mainly going up with inflation. But in past 10 years prices have surpassed normal increases. Some A titles have literally doubled yearly and what was once a "hard to giveaway" machine is now a "hard to get under 8k". I believe prices have just gone too high waayy too fast!

2. The end of an era.
    I think most of us here all know that the pinball era did in fact die. Mainly in the 90's. I am 41 and I saw this with my own two eyes. I watch less and less pins in the arcade then. And the ones I saw no one was playing. Even I myself was not much of a pin player. I was attracted to the Street Fighters and Mortal Kombats. As was everyone else. The Adams family just sit there all alone. Or you saw 2 people over in that section.

Now why is this relevant? Well I personally believe most people become pin owners between the age of 40-60. At 40 we all want to relive our past and finally have the disposable income to make this a reality. But guess what... the 30s crowd now in 10 years won't have a pinball memory to even remember. Because I watched the arcades die. So the next 40 year old crowd are the xbox and playstation generation.

So I personally see demand dropping rapidly in new buyers.

3. Look at prices of each type of pin.
    EM's were once hot, now they are dirt cheap. Why? Because those who grew up playing those are up there in age and passing away slowly and not many left want them. At the moment 90s pins are on fire because they are the ones WE grew up playing. So we are hitting the last era. The DMD era.

4. Supply and Demand.
    The demand is going to drop eventually. And supply doesn't seem to be a problem. I see 50 A titles a day pop up for sale. And I am sure a lot of you see more. They are not hard to find. Because people are paying so much currently that those who got them a decade ago cheap are cashing in big flipping them.

But those buying now.. well I see a loss in the future if held too long.

5. New generation of players.
    Sure, there seems to be this surge of new pin interest. These "Bar-cades" popping up and new young folk are playing. But sadly the prices are running them off. I've personally heard so many saying "I could get a car for that much". So this new group of people (that we need badly to help regrow things) have no interest in buying one. The only people paying these prices are deep pocket older folks who are paying for the nostalgia.

If you have no childhood memories, you aren't going to spend 8k on a machine.

6. Pockets are full.
    All those deep pocket (I gotta have it) folk are getting their fill. And soon they will no longer be buying once they get what they want. And... eventually taking huge loses on their collection of I am correct in my prediction. All hobbies have a surge. Suckers come in, the hobbies dies down and that is that. Vinyl had a surge. Retro consoles are surging but will soon fall.

7. Remakes.
    8k for NIB or decades of wear and tear. Sure we all love original but playfield sadly take beatings.

So.... what is your opinion? I'll attach a poll as well.

Do you see it continuing to get out of control? Or do you see an economic bubble bursting soon and pin prices collapsing?

#9 6 years ago

Sorry that I posted something already discussed. But then again with THOUSANDS of post on here what hasn't been?

Every post you see on PS today was discussed last week. I didn't see a recent discussion and I brought up an old topic but just voiced my personal opinion. And considering I am new here it is fair that I can't read every one posted.

It appears some also got butthurt based on their replies (why they even bothered to click on the subject and not just scroll by it is beyond me, but that is what some people do. They complain about complainers never realizing the hypocrisy of their own post).

Most likely replies from those who bought in at the peak I guess. Understandable.

So sorry for rehashing a sore subject that's been discussed I guess. If a moderator wishes to del3ete this post, I don't mind.

Maybe my next topic will be "what can I talk about pin related that has never been discussed."

Wish me luck! Lol

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bruce:

A lot of the theory there is based on 'people under 40 who didn't grow up with pinball won't spend 8k on a machine no way'. I'm 32, I've bought two machines after discovering pinball 4 years ago. You don't have to have 'childhood memories' to enjoy things retro.

I agree, but you are a minority. There are not many 30 something buyers spending 8k. Not enough to sustain the influx.

Nor do I see many coming in later.

I was at a barcade last week. I noticed a few younger players. One was playing MM. I talked breifly to him. He said, "This is fun, I wanna get one of these". I told him the price and he said "for these olders ones over here? That's insane".

True story.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

This is your perspective, there is a whole new "golden" era for pinball right now 20-30 year old kids are just now finding these 70's & 90's great titles and appreciating and experiencing them for the 1st time. It's not like the housing market lol

Well I clearly stated it was my opinion
    And yes you arw correct, it isn't housing but all retro hobbies have bubbles.

And as I stated a lot of 20-30 year olds are discovering pinball at barcades. But are they buying one for their homes? No. Very few are.

They are leaving the barcades, hitting ebay, yelling "WTF!" And closing the laptop.

We definitely have new players. And we are scaring them away. That was one of my points.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Delta9:

You cant put a price on fun

Well actually you can... you just hope some idiot is willing to pay way too much for it. And currently some people are buying fun at a premium.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You're making another assumption that ebay would be their first stop--pinball machines can be found on social media, selling apps, craigslist, etc.

It was an example but unfortunately most sellers on Craigslist and yardsale pages get their prices from ebay. Trust me, I've been on craigslist hoping to find that one guy with a MM for 3k.. apparently they all seem to know what it's going for

Bu maybe one day I'll find that old lady who doesn't price check her pins before listing them lol

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You're not looking hard enough. Deals do surface. They just don't linger for more than 10 minutes.

Good point. Sadly out of those 100 new pin buyers 1 got the deal and 99 have to pay 8k and walk away.

I'm hoping I find one myself. I don't even own a 90s pin but want one badly. But I can't afford one. So Im waiting for tha miracle.. or waiting for the fall in price.

Hopefully it comes.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bruce:

I don't think it is necessarily a retro thing either. Lots of new titles are coming out from different manufacturers. If you bought an old data east or bally then sure that is retro, but new sterns or jjp are different I think. Like buying a brand new mustang with new technology etc (not retro), but a mustang from the 70s sure that's retro. I'm rambling now.....

I agree. There are some good titles coming out but sadly they are overpriced also and the quality is declining. Or at least that's the word on the street.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

It's so great to have another new guy with such vast market knowledge and powers of prophecy.

Being a new "owner" doesn't mean I haven't followed pins for many years. I have been a long time arcade lover and knew arcade owners. I also looked into buying many time but never had the money or space for one until recently.

But being "New" doesn't make me blind.

Maybe instead of focusing on me you could focus on the topic. Maybe justify these prices. I'm all ears. That's the point of the debate.

And also google "opinion". I think you got it confused with the word "wizard". I only stated why I "felt" prices will fall. I never claimed I knew they would with certainty.

Maybe I should have put my "opinion disclaimer" at the beginning in bold :-/

#35 6 years ago

Nice to know you'd happily fleece an old lady. Do yourself a favor. Slow down. There's lots of fun to be had, friends to be made and things to learn here but that won't happen if you land on everyone's ignore list.

So far I've been havimg a friendly "debate " with others on why I feel prices might fall. Only one person (you) decided to attack me personally by stating how I couldn't possibly have an opinion since I'm new and how I can't predict the future.

So feel free to ignore. I won't miss the trolls one bit.

And if hearing their 10k MM might fall hurts feeling. Well, people shouldnt invest so high.

And maybe you shouldnt take my debate topic so personal. I clearly stated others could tell me why they feel differently (without insulting me personally)

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think some of the prices are bonkers, which is why I don't pay them. I'm more of an opportunistic bargain hunter, rather than someone who tries to hunt down one or two specific titles. If you are open to a wide range of games, a wide range of games will be available to you. If you are only open to one or two titles, well, then pickings will be slim.

Honestly I'm trying to broaden my search. I have a few lower cost machines I have been looking into getting. But as for the A titles I have accepted I'll probably never own one without a lot of luck or a lotto win lol

#41 6 years ago

Hello kind sir! Thank you for the link. I am always looking for deal close to home!

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

So this is what your theory is based on!

I am mainly talking about A titles. A know a lot of machines are still cheap (as of now).

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Some of your theories could happen and yes the prices Have elevated quicker than normal but what product with a market need hasn't? You keep talking about 8k prices and how youngsters (30's ish) won't spend that much but don't forget when Most on here were scratching there head in the 90's over a $1800 pin toy they could buy a New Car for $9,500 or a gallon of gas for $1. Most in those times would be Grateful to make 30k per year, now you can make more than that at McDonalds and still buy an Average priced car for 30k! My opinion, this is not exactly a poor mans (womens) hobby but if you are Willing to do your research (Pinside, RGP,....) and put in your own sweat equity this is still an enjoyable hobby. If your taste is 15k titles and you can't change a light bulb without a service visit this hobby Will eat you alive!!

When I mentioned 30 somethings I was mainly making a point that the majority of them never even played pinball, or seen one for that matter. So my point I guess was that there won't be many 30 something buyers compared to 40+ers. If that makes sense.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Yes. Exactly. The pins I buy will hold their value because I don't pay EBay prices. I will eventually buy a Stern but I expect it to fall in value much like any new car one drives off the parking lot. I've gotten some really great games (Royal Guard and Suspense) that I wouldn't have ever considered if they didn't just come along

And that is awesome that you were fortunate enough to have gotten those deals! Sadly a lot of people are paying premiums. I'm like you mentally. I'm just holding out for that deal but they are hard to find.

I just can't see why someone would drop 10k before shopping around. I am guessing some have deep pockets and just jump at the first one they see.

The weird part is the buyers have the power. If people stop paying 10k for one it will drop. But that demands people showing patience I guess. And some with money might not care to hold out.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Just remember this site has its own way of doing business. First if you want something you say "I'll take it". Second if you ask questions about condition someone else will say "I take it" and then you won't get it. Third, assume it doesn't work and you need to fix it. Fourth if it's a good bargain it will be gone in 30 minutes or less. The deals are there to be had on projects but there is more risk involved and he isn't always that cheap on some pins.

That is currently why I own an older model lol. I had to get a beat up machine and fix it myself. I wish now I had gotten one 10 years ago. But I waited and never expected these prices this quickly.

Hopefully I get to expand my addiction lol. But sadly I am one of the poor ones that have to wait longer for the deals.

#50 6 years ago

But this hobby is the only one that I have ever seen explode like this.

For example I buy, restore and sell retro consoles. (Nes, snes etc). The price on these dropped very low at one point. Now a lot of 40 years olds wanna re live their childhood and prices went up. On eBay prices are like $150 for a NES. Sure, I still find them for 20 here and there but ththe market value like $100 on average (which is still lower than retail back when they came out).

But with pins the prices skyrocketed. It would be like if a NES was selling for 3k in comparison. That is why I feel like it has to fall. Too much too soon. I mean even with cars you can still buy a nice 72 Chevelle cheaper than a Monster Bash lol

I've never seen a hobby go up so fast in price. But I could be wrong and missed some.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Also, it's pretty off that you put your "minimum DMD owner age" at 40. Average EM age is like 50-60, 80's solid-state 40-50, and DMD age is like 25-90. I'd say a VERY large portion of the pinball playing community (even not just here) is in their 30's, I'd consider that to be the median even.

Well I don't have dead on numbers. Just basing my numbers off the fact that when I was a teen pinball was alreasy vanishing from the arcades (when we still had arcades). So I was assuming that most after me never saw a pin.

I'm sure some did and some new ones are appearing but it can't be that many. But I could be wrong.

That is why I started this topic. To learn both sides of how people see things.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Main thing is that you enjoy what you bought.
    If it's worth the price you paid, knowing that you might not get your money back, then that is a good purchase!
    You hit the nail right on the head there...too many people are gambling playing the pin market its all about the fun of it not the money. And I think it's safe to say at this point anybody who extensively works on these behemoths knows you'll never get your blood sweat and tears back it's a miracle if you actually break even in the end selling it lol

When I got mine I got it cheap. Ive put money in it but not a ton. I know I'll never get the months of labor back.

But honestly, I dont think I could sell my first pin. This thing is like a first girlfriend lol. And my wife isn't jealous over her at all hehe.

But I see myself keeping this one forever. It taught me so much. And I don't regret my purchase.

I still want a 90's pinball (with objectives vs just pinging points), but I still have fun playing her.

Does the greed in pricing upset me. Absolutely. Cause it prevents me from being about to afford what I want. Even on the lower priced end. But I am keeping my head up and eyes peeled for the deal.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball players - getting thinner and younger every year............

They all start off thin! But the machine wins in the end!! Hehehe

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Sounds like someone is crying over spilled milk.

And someone crying over the cryier of spilled milk.

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

The stuff you are saying kind of makes no sense?
    Crashes happen when folks enter a market to make money then the returns get lower then expected and they start selling along with a bunch of others that are selling also due to lower returns and then the crash. Do you know any folks getting into pinball to make money? Well why are they getting into pinball? For something fun to do whether it's playing, collecting, working on, modding, playing in tournaments or barcades and meeting a bunch of new friends along the way maybe?
    Here is my take - Pinball recently got more popular and took a bump during the recession around 2008ish during a time when folks really valued and respected money more than ever in their lives and made really conscious buying decisions. It was a time when folks were worried about their house values, jobs, the stock market, savings and the future in general. They wanted something they could play in their home with friends and family and pinball provided them that fun and even some comfort. 10 or whatever years later the economy is better and chances are that the same folks who got into it Pinball over the last 10 years are doing a little better also, are more comfortable with their financial situations and have put more money into more expensive pins because they love pinball for one or many of the above reasons. The older school folks who came in before 2008 are folks who may have bought their AFM or TAF for $3000. They love their games and won't move them out the door anytime soon even if the market goes down. They bought pins bead use they loved them and had no worries about future values when they bought. These folks are the backbone of the hobby IMHO. Pinball has and will always be that little break and getaway from the real world for many whether you are a NIB stern buyer, an EM collector or a hipster playing in a barcade. If folks sell then what else are they going to do for the down time? Beanie Babies?
    Now if folks stop playing that is when pinball may take a hit, but I just can't stop hitting the start button one more time.
    Keep it simple - If you can't afford an $8000 MM then get a $1000 Firepower and just have fun like a bunch of us are having in the hobby.

I don't think people will stop playing, I just think we are going to run out of players. Unless we get in new ones because the kids of 2001 and up didn't play pinball. Hell, I bet my nephew has never played on in his life. And the time I tried to get him to a couple of years ago at an arcade at the beach he didn't seem interested.

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

not every opinion deserves its own thread.

Please forgive me. What was I thinking to start a discussion on a forum!

I hope one day you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

Any topics I am allowed to speak of your highness?

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The pinball hobby, as it is, is not driven by "kids." New people joining in, for the last 10 years, have been in their 30s. And that keeps happening.
    When *I* was a kid I didn't play pinball, I played video games. And that was 35 years ago.
    Today's uninterested kid is tomorrow's middle-aged pinball hobbyist.

Not at these prices that won't. But hopefully I am wrong. I guess time will tell.

Maybe they will eventually reach 20k and people will still buy them. Hell, why not just shoot for 50k right?

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

if you can't take criticism don't create a stupid thread.

I don't mind criticism that is "topic related", and I don't mind someone saying "you are wrong and this is why", but what I don't like is someone taking personal shots at me. That is what I meant by the notice.

Kind of like the post that I am replying to. That seems to be directed at me and not the topic at hand. Or the guy who said "I couldn't have an opinion since I was "new". Stuff completely unrelated to the topic.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really? You think in 15 years a teenager won't be able to afford a System 11 game or an EM?

Not at all what I said. I was saying in 15 years I don't believe you will have many "new" pin players and out of the ones you do have I don't see them invested 10-15k in a machine that they don't have any memories of playing.

And "if" they decide to purchase an 8-10k machine I picture them buying NIB. A couple weeks ago when I was at the barcade I did notice most of the young players were more attracted to the Ghostbusters, and newer Stern and JJ machine. Only the old timers were playing AF and MM. But I did see a few young players trying them.

But younger generations always gravitate to the newer tech. I can't get younger kids to even play NES or SNES. They just don't see why I like it. It's the "memories" that put the extra value on a lot of items in my opinion.

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

glad you asked. how about a thread on what topics have been utterly done to death? here's my top three -
    3. "What's they most overrated/underrated game?"
    2. "Here are my ideas for making the Pinside Top 100 better validate my own personal preferences!"
    1. "Are we in a price bubble, here in 2000 / 2002 / 2003 / 2004 / 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017?"

Well please let me know what topic HASN'T been discussed and I'll start that one.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i said the thread was stupid, not that you were stupid.

Actually you said "if you can't take criticism don't post a topic". (sounded directed at me and not the topic, but maybe I was wrong).

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

It's more like if you can't be civil in someone's thread don't comment. I don't see him pissing in your threads.

See, you get it! Glad someone else could smell the same urine I could.

I mean if someone doesn't like the topic keep scrolling. I'm not forcing anyone to join in.
    I don't understand why people click on a topic to complain about the topic when they can just scroll right by!

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i create very few threads.

Well I promise that if you do start a thread, I won't piss in it. And if I don't like the topic of your discussion I will scroll right by it. I won't stop by to tell you how stupid it is. But with that said. I forget and forgive. We are all pinbrothers here and I'm not looking to fight. Just looking to discuss a topic that I personally haven't been in before. I wasn't on PS 6 months ago when this was brought up last time.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

haha, what? creating a thread is inherently soliciting opinions from others. i gave mine.
    i have no wish to be a broken record here - i believe i have said my piece on the topic and feel no need to go back and forth with the OP.

Yes, starting a thread is soliciting opinions "on the topic". Feel free to tell me why you think I am wrong or why you agree. Feel free to explain what you believe will happen.

But starting topics here are not to solicit opinions about "me" personally.

But like I said, not trying to fight. Just trying to have a friendly discussion.

I will take some blame. I should have known anyone that dropped 10k on a pin wouldn't like to hear it might drop in price.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

This guy is having such a good time

I hope I live long enough to be that guy lol.

I don't know how old he is but he appears to be in his 60's I would guess. Hopefully my already damaged back remains strong enough for me to stand with a smile like him.

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i don't know you. my posts were 100% in regards to this topic.

Well some of your post do seem to be directed towards me, but if I misunderstood then it was my mistake. I think even someone else got the same vibe as I did, but I'm cool if you are. I just noticed you were in VA as well. Nice!

I thought at first it said Bristol... never heard of Bristow.

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Here is where I think there is a flaw in your logic. You show examples of demand from a younger generation, but state they are getting scared off by the sticker shock of owning a game. This has already started to increase the demand for vendors to place pinball back on route, thus further increasing exposure for the hobby. I think we may start seeing a return to vendors driving a greater share of the market. I don't see this as a crash, but instead as a shift in the demand.

Well to be honest with you, I don't see them returning to their old prices but dropping dramatically.

For example an A title that lets say was 2k ten years ago that is currently going for 9-10k, I have a feeling they will drop in half down to around 5k. I still see it holding value, but I feel like that extra value (what I call the nostalgia value) is going to get trimmed off once all the deep pockets have one in their collection.

I mean anything can do this. A bad economy can knock 1-2k off a pin. The economy, if bad enough, really puts a hurting on all things collectible.

But I believe there will come a time when all the "super serious and wealthy collectors will own a MM for example", and once one of those pins get listed the only buyers left will be those who are more "price conscious" I guess you could say. Then the price will drop till it sells.

#154 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bearcat:

Pinball, as timeless as porn.

Hehehe. You got a point. Except porn ended up becoming free as time went by.

Sure, there is still porn to be bought, but I bet 80% of the world isn't paying for it.

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

remind me again which title was $2000 in 2007 that is $10k today?

Google: "for example".

Not all examples are 100% accurate. It is just an example to make a point. I wasn't any machine in particular.

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

google: "clueless newbie"

Google: "I take forum post WAY too serious and can't resist insulting the poster because I don't agree with him. And I am upset that someone is saying I will lose money on my pin because I spent too much".

#160 6 years ago

Thank you..

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

google :"I'm too poor to afford the games I want so I'm gonna pray for a market meltdown"

Google: "Lonely Internet Troll"

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

google: "making parents basements jokes and thinking I'm the first"
    We gonna do this all day?

Sure, if that's what you want to do. Obviously you had nothing of value to add to the discussion and had to resort to attacking the poster of said discussion. But whatever gives you pleasure.

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

that's not what "example" means. a thing you made up that does not exist is actually ...... the opposite of an example.

"for example"
    phrase of example

used to introduce something chosen as a typical case.

Like if I said "for example, John Doe went to Pinfest".
    Well that doesn't mean John Doe WENT to Pinfest. It is just an example. "

Wow, I can't believe I have to explain that an example doesn't have to be dead on facts. If I was quoting facts I would have said "for example, remember when xxx pin was 2k in .. etc...

You get it... or maybe not.

#178 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

okay ... so if a machine that was $2000 in 2007 and is $10,000 today is "a typical case", then you should be able to cite at least one "example", right?

Look I get it, you don't agree with me. You think this topic is stupid. You think my opinion (as you put it earlier) doesn't even deserve a topic post on Pinside.

But man you have spent a lot of time in here replying to all my post.

So if I was going to post an "example" of a Troll.. you sir, would fit the bill.

#179 6 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Too much of your opinion has no proof points. The critical issue is that of new pinball machine prices and I don't see any of the manufacturers reducing prices any time soon, even in the worst crash (banking crisis 2007) prices across many things were not affected hugely. Demand is stronger and stronger for home use and it's that demand that will be the multiplier for pin increases outside of the link to new pinball machine prices.

As in which points?

1. People in their 20-30 didn't grow up with arcades and pinball?
    I would say that was pretty fair to assume.

2. People with sentimental emotions towards an item will pay more than it is worth?
    I think that was a fair statement.

3. Pinball is slow dying off and even though there are new players joining it isn't enough to ever have it back where it was?
    I think most of us agree with that.

4. New players who want to buy a machine probably can't afford one at these current prices?
    Hell, I can list you off 100 people I know personally who can't. I'm sure you could also.

5. Remakes will hurt the price of the originals
    Well, that one is up for debate I guess but right now there are people who own a brand new ATM who didn't buy an older one because the remake was available. So in the end it did in fact hurt the sale of the original.

I can continue. I mean I thought I made some fair proof points. Not all can be validated until the future arrives but most of the facts I presented are pretty evident.

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from snowvictim:

That's what the every stakeholder said about your housing market.
    Interesting hypothesis, g0nz0, although I'm sure the American market is much different than the European one. I've bought all 3 of my flippers for about $4000 each. I'm pretty certain I could sell my TOTAN for almost double that.
    I for one know that back in the days when arcade games were declining and video games were on the rise (say about 2004-2010) pinball prices at home in Poland declined dramatically, and from posts on the Polish Pinball Forum I read that there was a massive problem with Germans abducting our pinball machines. Basically, the Polish currency has a very high purchasing power parity even though it'a weak by itself. For example, I've been living in the United Kingdom for a quarter of my life, and £20 buys the same amount of goods in a grocery store as 20 PLN, but 20 PLN is about £4.
    I was going through the Polish equivalent of eBay a while ago to see what I've missed out on (I dare say I'm one of the youngest collectors on this forum). Average pin price for top titles was around $2000-3000. I saw one auction, I think the price listing was $3500 (about 14000PLN) for TZ, AFM, and Congo. Try finding Twilight Zone under 4000 EUR nowadays... mine was a lucky catch!
    Basically what I'm saying is - pinball has become a collector hobby, and collector hobbies aren't cheap. I don't think pin prices will decline in the future, unfortunately. Especially now that servicing pins has been so easy (manuals are available everywhere, 3D printing and other techniques allow you to make easy replacement parts, etc.). Not sure about how it is across the pond, but the production of MMR didn't help to depress MM prices (the ones I've found were around 7000-8000 EUR, way above what I'm willing to give for a single game). I guess Europe is interesting because despite the limited supply there's also a limited demand. I mean, when people ask me what my hobbies are and I say pinball there's only a handful of people who know what I'm talking about, and most of those think Windows XP rather than the actual thing.
    Anyway, we'll see what the future holds.

You are correct, Pin is a collectable hobby. That requires "collectors". And we are slowly losing "collectors" as we all grow old and die off.

Soon there will be more machines vs collectors (unless we get some new blood into this hobby). Basic supply and demand.

So a lot of this relies on the new blood. That part I can't predict... I just feel "personally" that prices will run some off. And I am talking a decade down the road. A lot can change in 10 years.

I don't see anything happening overnight, But I see it coming eventually.

#190 6 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

You're missing the fact that as time goes on items like this will become MORE collectible - especially as supply diminishes.
    If the current pinball companies don't stay in business, prices will go even higher. IMO Pinball machines are in a special class of collectible that will maintain it's collect-ability for at least another 50 years, if not much longer. Comparing video game consoles is an extremely bad comparison - $20-$50 games with millions of available copies (cheap item, very large supply) and they get outdated and practically useless compared to new versions of the same. Pinball games of today will not be extremely outdated in 10, 20 or 30 years - because at it's core it's all about the ball and the flippers.

I did put that into consideration. But if you really think about it most of these pins were limited from the get go. I mean look at EM's. I still to this day can't believe my Skill Pool even still exist. Only a hair over 2k built and I found one and found others with them and could probably find one tomorrow if I looked hard.

I understand what you mean but I believe we will lose more pinheads than we will lose machines in 10 years.

That is why I mention how available these A titles are. Go to the marketplace and look at how many of these titles are for sale "right now". If I had the money I could have a MM by this weekend. So supply is still there.

But my main point on all of this is the fact that a "new change" is coming that never existed. We are about to have a generation of people "who never played or possibly even seen a pinball machine" become the majority if you get what I mean.

The EM players are dying. The Solid state players are getting old and the DMD players are in their 40-60's. But what happens after the DMD players die off. The Xbox and Playstation generation is next in line. So it will be interesting to see how sales are affected by this. (But hopefully we get new players in. I really want to see pin reflourish to be honest with you. I don't want to see the drop, but feel it might happen).

#192 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Call it a hunch. Nobody ever starts one of these threads when they can afford what they want (and they always want MM, MB, and Tron LE, not something cheap and cool like an EM or High Speed).
    When I joined the hobby 15 years ago I saved up $350 and bought a Williams Argosy, which was and still is totally awesome. I didn't go on RGP and complain that I couldn't afford $3000 (!!!!!!) for an AFM.

Truth be told I could get a 10k table if I wanted. But I just can't see spending that much. I am tight with my money and yes, people with less money probably do make these topics. But there are a lot more of us than there are rich people who spend 10k on a pin and not feel it at all.

Ignorance is how Starbucks still sells a cup of coffee for 8 bucks. I can afford a cup, but it doesn't mean I am dumb enough to do it.

#193 6 years ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

OP have you been to any shows recently? They are insanely packed. I'd argue that pinball is more popular now than it was back when I was a kid. I was born in 79 and saw a lot of pinball in arcades. With leagues and competitive pinball, I see way more pinball than I ever did growing up. I'm fortunate to be able to go to PAPA headquarters quite often and get to see the impressive collection that they house. For the record, I currently own 6 machines and am going to look at another today. I play in league and the leagues are as strong as ever. The turnouts are incredible and there are a lot of good people. You may be correct that there is a limit as to what people will pay for a machine but as batman 66 SLE showed, we haven't quite reached it yet. If prices dropped I would scoop up a bunch of machines and I'm sure there are others just like me.

I agree. There is this new explosion in interest taking place. A lot of new blood peeking in the room.

I just hope the greed doesn't run them off.

#195 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You just made this up. We aren't slowly losing collectors, we are quickly gaining them.
    Facts aren't really your thing.
    I googled "example" and it still means what I thought it did.

Awesome. So since you are all about examples being dead on facts, tell me this.

How much was Monster Bash in 2007?

#197 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You missed my point entirely, which isn't surprising.
    There's plenty of pinball machines - hundreds - that you don't have to be rich or stupid to buy. If you bought one, you'd get more joy from it than you did from making a troll post almost entirely built upon stuff you just made up out of thin air.

You really think this is a troll topic?

I really hope you were trolling when you said that.

#199 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

$6000-12000. Just like today really.

Can you provide links to your example?

#203 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

There's a lot more people that make in the 150-350K range then people realize. There's also a lot of people doing it at a much younger age then people realize. Lots of area's of the country are booming and there are good jobs for skilled workers that pay very well. No one in my area makes under 30K unless you are high school educated and in retail of some sort. Factory positions even start at $14 and up with great benefits in most cases.
    The good thing about pinball is that there are pins for everyone's budget. If you plan and save even someone making 30K a year can build up a nice collection of cool games slowly over time. There's no need to chase after all of the new shiny games.

I agree. Which kind of proves my point more.

If people are buying the cheaper ones and skipping over the shiny ones then that will also cause the over priced shiny ones to fall in price. Because demand will drop.

See my discussion is only about the over priced ones. We all know people can buy cheap ones. That wasn't my point. My point is about why I think overpriced A titles will plummet.

#204 6 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

We have a regular Nostradamus on Pinside folks. Hurry and sell your pins, they are going to $0
    What a chode

I seriously thought by editing my post and putting a disclaimer on it about this being an "opinion" would help prevent people from assuming I was predicting the future with certainty. I guess I was wrong.

Maybe I should have used all caps and bold?

And now I am a chode.

But hey, it is my fault. I forget that golden rule.

Opinion+Internet=Sh*tstorm lol.

But I have to admit. Being called names is nostalgic. Takes me back to being in kindergarden.

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

When the heck is that Pinside Purge going to happen...

You should apply to be a moderator. Then you can go through and just delete everything you don't like, you know, since skipping topics you are not interested in is your weakness.

Maybe we can change the name from Pinside to DaveH's Pinball Topics That He Only Likes .com

#213 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

It's already happened in some sectors of the collector car market. I'm pretty deeply into that hobby as well, and I've watched the prices on brass era cars plummet over the last decade. Why? Because all of the people who may have remembered those cars from their childhood are now gone, and almost no one who isn't already in that segment of the market wants to get into it. A corollary in the pinball hobby would be all of those bingo machines that you can hardly give away these days.
    The cars from the 30s and 40s have suffered less in a sense, as there are plenty of hot rodders who are just salivating to buy up those restored cars and destroy them by turning them into whatever monstrosities they build.
    Other segments of the old car hobby are still pretty affordable. While the 57 Chevy is the Monster Bash of that hobby, there are many other makes and models of similar vintage that can be acquired for just a few thousand dollars. The cars of the 60s and 70s that weren't muscle cars are downright cheap.

That is exactly the point I was mainly trying to make! Right now a new generation is coming. A generation that doesn't know pinball.

Of course a lot of people are arguing because they saw 200 young players at local events. Well in reality that is still low.

Of course there will be new players, but how many? And the fact that these new kids never had the arcade/pinball experience doesn't the industry.

Just watch "Special When Lit". At the beginning when the guy is telling random folks on the street about PAPA. They are all saying "pinball"? Almost like it is a foreign word or something.

I understand a lot of people don't like to hear anything negative about their hobby they love so much. But ignoring a problem won't make it go away. We need, no I take that back, we HAVE to have new blood coming or the ride is over. And when Burger King releases it's newest burger they don't charge $100 for it. Because that is one definite way to prevent getting new people in your restaurant.

#215 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Every newb for 20 years has said this. What makes you so brilliant?
    They're A for a reason. Everyone likes and wants them. There expensive for a reason. Not enough supply to meet demand.
    Want an A title for cheap? Get lucky and find a beater. There's no reason someone who owns and loves a game will sell it for less than its worth.

Sorry, I'll remove that part of my topic where I claimed I was "brilliant" for stating an opinion and then asking others what they thought or if they agreed or disagreed.

#216 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

This is all vaguely reminiscent of somebody's passive-aggressive posts from 2015 and 2016...
    Wait! You don't think that it's...

Sorry to break your heart but I am a completely new member. But I am sure if the last person who posted this got personally insulted as much as I have then I can understand it.

I personally wish Pinside had a delete option. I would have removed this post a long time ago and you can bet I have no interest in doing it again. Or if I do I'll make sure it is all unicorns and rainbows to keep everyone from getting out the pitchforks because they disagree. I honestly had no idea that so many of the people here were incapable of a normal discussion.

Some here have been fine. They see my opinion and say "I disagree, this is why". But there sure has been a lot of kindergarden drama where for some reason if someone disagrees that have to "attack me personally" which I find extremely immature.

I even finished the topic off with a "do you agree, or disagree". I only wanted a friendly discussion on what others thought about the future of the market. Boy was I in for a surprise lol.

#222 6 years ago

You are wrong. Immerse yourself in the pinball hobby a bit more and you will see. Average age in our league is 30-something. Lots of us are buying at today's prices. It's becoming a cliche for young, broke guys new to the hobby to think it's only old, rich guys who can afford to buy new pins. By your 30's you should be entering the prime of your career and making decent money.

OMG!!! You opened Al Capones Vault!

Or maybe you didn't read my earlier post about being into pinball for a long time but finally becoming a buyer due to not having the money and space for one.

But how could I ever know what the prices are without being an owner! That is just impossible!

lol smh.

#224 6 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

.....Well into my fifties and still waiting for that to happen.

My boss is a millionaire. A multi millionaire. He is always telling me how easy it is the buy the things I need lol.

I just shake my head and walk away.

#226 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

There is a brick wall coming, and that's when the older players start dumping everything so they can move to Florida and wait for death.
    My editor is 25 and actively looking for his first pin. (BK2K Madison WI area if anyone has a lead) So there is hope for these young people to get involved. But we need more "non-ancient" themes to get them interested.
    Need to find a bridge... something millennials love as well as older folks (maybe The 80's, see TnA) Young people would snatch up Power Rangers or Pokemon in a heartbeat but those pins would never get made because 50 year old men wouldn't buy them NIB in the first place. Jurassic World would have a been a great title (30-somethings WORSHIP the original) wonder why nobody made that one?

I hope they do start dumping them lol. All I come across are those collectors who are 80 years old but horde everything. They want to take them to the grave.

But luckily when they die you can usually get the good price when a relative starts dumping the collection with no clue of the value. But that doesn't always happen :-\

#232 6 years ago

You have 13 also. So I am confused why you were stressing how the other guy had 13?

#238 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

But I haven't voiced my opinion on the subject. My point was that it sure seems like someone is engaging in wishful thinking. And WakkyBrakke demonstrated another extreme
    Whether or not prices rise or fall isn't important to me. It's not a binary world.

You missed my post where I said "I hope the industry continues to grow and I hope prices don't plummet because it would be the end of an era".

So I guess your theory of wishful thinking was incorrect. You should maybe catch up on the thread a bit.

It's not a binary world bro.

#243 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Don't know. I just read your post about how I was wrong that you were wishful thinking, and then the one about where you wished 80 year old men would stop hoarding machines Keep going, though

So me saying I hope the industry doesn't plummet and hoping to find some cheap machines from someones collection when they die is the same?

And by the laugh, putting a laughing emoticon after your statement doesn't make you seem any smarter when you say something dumb by the way. This isn't a binary world.

#246 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pezpunk is not trolling. He's asking where the facts are that back up your statements and opinions.

Then you would assume incorrectly. Lots of areas around the country still had access to arcades and pinball machines throughout the 90s. The arcades in my area sure did. But granted, not all of them survived much into the 2000's.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/neatocoolville/117196950/
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pictures-of-arcades
    http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?504334-Arcade-nostalgia-pictures-from-the-80-s-and-90-s

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have a strong attachment to AFM. It ate a lot of my quarters back in the day, and I still enjoy playing it, but I'm not going to drop $8k on one. Sentimentality doesn't always outweigh common sense and practicality.

Heck no. Location play is bouncing back in the form of barcades. More pinball shows are popping up, and shows have been getting bigger and better every year. We are also seeing an increase in news coverage of barcades, tournaments, shows, and other events.
    There are 5 significant manufacturers, while only a few years ago Stern was the last one standing. We haven't had this many new titles in one year in a long time. Pinball hasn't been this strong in a while, and it's on the rise. If it wasn't on the rise, there would be no reason for business owners to invest in pinball manufacturing.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=barcade&oq=barcade&aqs=chrome..69i57.1128j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=barcade&tbm=nws&tbs=sbd
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pinball+tournament&oq=pinball+tournament&aqs=chrome..69i57.2991j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#tbm=nws&q=pinball+tournament+championship

I just bought a nice solid state game for $100 a couple days ago. It needs some work, and it's not a coveted A-list title, but you sure can't beat that deal. There are plenty of affordable games out there to fit any budget. You just need to put in some of the leg work to find a bargain.
    $400 gold wings: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/49145
    $450 target alpha: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/49127
    $700 cybernaut: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/49097
    $400 alien poker: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/49067
    $400 pinball pool: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/49006
    $1000 high speed: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/46949
    $400 cleopatra: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/48806
    $300 disco '79 cocktail, ready to play: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/48687
    $600 Lady Luck: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/48410
    $1000 playboy, fully working: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/48168
    $800 future spa, fullly working: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/48069
    Plus various working or project EM games under $1k.
    And these are all available--right now.

Maybe there's a small dip in price, but collectors still value an original game. You won't see an $8k game suddenly drop to $3k just because a remake came out. This was already proven with the release of MMr and AFMr.
    Recent sold listings for AFM:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&r&keywords=&ad_machine_key=792&ad_condition=0&machine_type=&ad_machine_manuf=&year_from=&year_to=&radius_distancekm=322&sort_by=ad_end_date&sort_order=DESC#results
    And for MM:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&keywords=&ad_machine_key=869&ad_condition=0&machine_type=&ad_machine_manuf=&year_from=&year_to=&radius_distancekm=322&sort_by=ad_end_date&sort_order=DESC#results
    Basically, your opinions are just that--opinions. My experience (and judging from the other comments, the experience of other people too) is the complete opposite from yours. I feel mine are supported by real-world examples and facts that I can back up with proof.

I should have put "new machine" when I said that part about not being able to afford one. But I thought everyone here has figured out that I am talking about over priced A titles (since I have stated that a bunch of times now). A lot of people keep saying "well buy an older one" and that isn't what I am discussing. I am discussing the huge price jump in certain titles. We all know there are still cheap pins to be had.

#249 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

And veiled insults aren't smart, either. Carry on.

Yeah, I'm sure when you posted that screen cap of me only owning 1 machine (basically stating owning 1 machine doesn't give me the right to have an opinion on the market) wasn't an insult either right?
    Carry on.

#254 6 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Would you spend 6500 on a nib though? I feel for 6k or less they would have sold like crazy. Can you still get a players AFM for 6k? Not been following that game.

I feel we may be reaching saturation for barcades like we did with sports bars a few years back and that there are too many to survive.

I agree. I believe this is just another "movement" that will be shortly lived.

#257 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Eh, maybe. Under $6k, and definitely.

There are no barcades in my area, unfortunately. There is one supposedly opening later this summer, though. There's no over-saturation here.

I think barcades are going to be the next "escape room" trend.

I think they will introduce a lot of new faces into the industry which is a good thing. But I just don't know how long they will stick around. I don't know how many of them will decide to become a home owner of a pin either, and I don't know how many will be willing to pay current prices (on new machine or expensive titles).

#260 6 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Beat me to it, exactly what I was thinking. It's funny that the 'more experienced' pinsiders who say the pinball market will remain healthy because there will always be more people joining are the same ones who thrash the new people posting on here because they are just getting started and don't have the same amount of knowledge.
    Now, purge...purge...purge...purge...

Amazing though how much interest this uninteresting topic got though. I just posted it late last night wanting to talk to members here. To see if people felt like I did or felt differently and why. I learned a valuable lesson lol.

This will be my last post here on general topics for discussion.

#265 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, you either can afford a new machine or you can't. Then if you still want a pinball machine, you look for a used one or a project. This is just like if you wanted to buy a car. If you can't afford a new one, you get a used one. If you have the skills to do repairs, then you can buy a cheap one to fix up.

You know how many times I have heard that. And do you not realizes what you said further proves me point?

If people can't afford the new ones, and they only buy "what they can afford" then that mean less buyers are buying the "expensive" ones. Which means the price will drop when no one is buying them.

This topic isn't about only buying expensive machine. It is about why I feel overprice machines will drop in price.
    We all know you can buy cheapers pins, that has nothing to do with my topic.

And I don't mean that to sound rude, just trying to explain why I posted this topic.

#268 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

It was meant to illustrate a point without so many words. Sorry if you're offended but it's a risk when you post a controversial opinion.

Yeah I didn't realize it was so controversial. Like I said, I am new here. I have been following pin prices for a long time and I just felt like talking about how high they were and why I fears a plummet.

In all honesty I have no clue how many times it has been discussed in the past or why some would get upset. I mean I guess I can understand why those who paid 10k might not want to hear it, but it isn't like my words will cause it.

But I learned a lot today lol. I will limit what topics I discuss here out that's for sure! lol

#269 6 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Kind of morbid that you might find yourself lucky that another person dies so that you can reap the benefits of a mourning family selling the deceased persons games for a cheap price.

Seriously? This again?

I said the only way I would get lucky and get an A title for cheap would be if someone died and the family sold it cheap unknowingly. Why do you people continue to flip that into "I hope someone dies so I can take advantage of them". Shesh.

Someone did this last night on page one. They said "you can find a cheap one if you look hard enough" and I said, "yeah, maybe if I find a grandma who doesn't know what she has". And of course he said "well you shouldn't pride yourself and wanting to rip off grandma". lol

When I type I honestly feel as if people can see when I am talking about what I could do and what I would do but I guess maybe my English isn't what I think it is.

smh

#280 6 years ago

Well I need to get some work done today and I'm done with the thread.

To those of you who had a civil discussion it was nice chatting with you guys.

To the trolls..... work on it. It is an art if you do it right. Stop making it so obvious.

And to those who overpaid, regret it and fear the uncertain future don't worry. You'll probably flip it long before anything happens I'm sure.

#284 6 years ago

Damn it, he figured me out. I was hoping my simple topic on Pinside would change pinball as we know it! I was hoping tomorrow pin prices worldwide would fall because of my clever attempt and you guys figured me out.

Damn, I need to practice more...

Shucks.

Later folks! I have a 2pm appointment over at Facebook. Trying to get a guy to sell me his 9k pin for 1k by telling him the moon is going to collide into earth. Wish me luck!

#430 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishbone:

Hey g0nz0,
    seems you've really struck a nerve with some people here.
    Plenty of members have a lots of money tied up in their collections so discussing the *possibility* of falling prices may be too close to the bone for some. They might get in trouble with their wives or whatnot.
    So don't feel bad if you're getting attacked for bringing that up, it's nothing personal.
    I don't have a crystal ball either but things *can* go south quickly.

Thanks man,

Yeah, I honestly originally thought that the overall opinion with the community was that people wanted prices lower so it would benefit the whole and everyone could have larger collections. I was so wrong!

I did some thinking last night and in all fairness if I had an expensive collection of machines I wouldn't want to hear they could lose value so I do understand why it got personal. I honestly didn't realize how overly sensitive some were about their pinvestments. And then of course you also have the "masters of the universe club" who like prices high so that limits the number of owners so that way they can feel special (and get professional photos taken of them standing next to their Monster Bash 24k Gold Edition). So I can now see why things went south fast.

Next time I will just keep my topics all unicorn farts and pixie dust. Saying things like "pins will continue to go up in price. Eventually they will be 50k and people will have a hard time deciding if they should buy a house or a pinball machine. Stern will announce a new model that features a living space and bed inside of the cabinet as part of the LE features."

BUT.... on the flipside, I did get several personal messages yesterday and all of them were very polite messages. Most of them just people telling me they agreed the market was high, they respected my opinion but warned me on why this was a touchy subject on Pinside. Some forewarned me on who some of the common trolls were and brought light to why the attacks we getting personal. They also warned me to never say anything bad about Stern as well. So I'll make sure I avoid that subject from here out as well. So thanks to you guys.

And for the record I did request the topic be removed with a moderator to avoid anymore hostility but they said no rules were being broken so they couldn't remove it, so oh well.

Live and learn I guess.

tmp_28093-images(3)885124149.jpgtmp_28093-images(3)885124149.jpg

#435 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

You've missed the point.
    Most here couldn't care less what prices do. We love pinball. If prices plummet, we get to buy more pins.
    Beyond that, people are snarky because the prediction of the 'bubble bursting' is a rite of passage for most new pin guys when they get upset that they cant afford all of the pins they want. Think of it as the denial stage of the addiction.
    I started collecting a decade ago and back then people were CONVINCED the 'end was near'. And well...Here we are. $15K NIB sterns.

Yeah you got me man. That is exactly what is was. I was starting my master plan to get a cheap pin buy telling people prices would start dropping in 10 years. I figure in 9 years when people start dumping their collections I could get one. I needed a decade to get my list ready.

#445 6 years ago

Yeah I am insulting people "today".

Because when I tried to be civil yesterday they insulted me.

I welcomes anyone who disagreed. I even put in the topic "do you agree? or do you think it will rise".

Does that not sound like someone willing to listen to both sides?

Maybe you need to start at the beginning of the discussion and tell me who drew first blood (on the personal hits).

Because from my knowledge I was talking about an industry and no one personally and suddenly you guys went into:

"What an idiot"
    "He only owns one pinball machine, what does he know"
    "Another newb who knows it all"

Etc, etc.

So if you clowns wanna make it personal, so will I.

#454 6 years ago

I'm not trying to upset you nor do I think you have any plan. Just pointing out that your prediction is common among new collectors and none of them have come true.
    And most importantly, if the market does plummet, most of us (including me) would be elated.

I think this prediction is something collectors of all time lengths have. Not all agree it will happen, some feel this way also, but I don't believe it is just something new pinheads have.

And technically I am not new. Sure I am a new home owner of a pin but I wouldn't say I am new to pinball all together. And I would never claim to know it all. I just felt like a new change was coming with the next generation of kids. So I presented said theory and truly want to hear what people think. (about the industry that is... not me personally lol)

People resort to attacking me personally when they have no defense to their argument.

#456 6 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

You should do what so many others have done and just stay off pinside. Most everyone I know in the hobby won't come on here anymore - they say it's as bad as RGP used to be.
    I have thick skin and like to throw shit, too, so I hang around from time to time.

It is definitely strange here at time. But trolls are gonna troll. They will insult you, wait for you to defend yourself (or counter attack) then post stuff like "well maybe if you didn't insult people you wouldn't get attacked".

So they have to be trolling.... god, I hope so.

#463 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

can you cite a single example of an "A title" pinball machine whose market value has "doubled yearly" "in the past 10 years"? these are your words. just to be clear: asking you to provide evidence for things you are stating as facts and using as the basis for your conclusions is not a "personal attack" or "trolling".
    in my opinion, since 2007, i would say most pinball prices have been reasonably stable. although average NIB MSRP has gone up significantly, it seems like you're mostly talking about the used market, particularly 90s DMD games. my best guess is that market has shown no more than about 5% increase per year on average, and that's being generous. you claim it's more like 100% per year.
    so let's run some numbers. for example, let's say in 2007 a nice STTNG was $3100. if it went up 5% per year, then its current market value would be $5,049. i think that's a little on the high side, but whatever.
    if it went up 100% per year as you suggest "some A titles" have, then then the current market value of a fairly nice STTNG would be $3,174,400.00.
    i suppose it's subjective, but i think my estimate is a little bit closer to reality. used pinball prices are slightly outpacing inflation over the last decade, but they are not a particularly good investment -- even a simple conservative market index would have been a far better investment over the last decade than buying into the so-called pinball bubble. and that's without factoring in all the parts and labor that has gone into maintaining and restoring these games -- which i guarantee is a significant chunk of that annual 5% windfall we are supposedly reaping.

I never considered "asking me for evidence" as an attack. That isn't "personally" toward me as a person. Disagreeing isn't personal either. We all know the difference. And thank you for actually taking my opinion and challenging it. That is completely fine with me, that is why I posted this. I wanted to hear other peoples theories. So give me a second to read it over and I'll answer.

#464 6 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Man I'm jealous OP, I've never stirred up as much reaction as you have with this thread. I'm going to try posting one of these: 'John Popadiuk, the savior of pinball!' or 'Science shows penis size directly related to number of pins you own'.

Lol... I would love to be there when you posted that.

#466 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Flippers
    OP: Try to have a little thicker skin. I wasn't trolling yesterday; the images I posted were to quickly bring my opinion about your motives into focus without a lot of text. Also posted one about the person on the other side of the issue.
    I still think you're hoping prices will drop (wishful thinking) so that you can add to your collection. Your post about 80 year old men hoarding machines bears that out. Again, sorry if you couldn't take the joke.

"Quickly bring my opinion about your motives"

Seems a little personal to claim I had personal motives and not just a theory? I mean, that is fair to think on my end wouldn't you agree? But hey, if you weren't trolling that is awesome and thanks. Glad to hear and sorry if I took it the wrong way.

I did feel as if many were though. lol.

#473 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Point being others have written similar, so if anything this thread is another in a line of these bubble threads.
    It would be novel if a long time poster wrote a similar thread--someone with no reason to need/expect prices to drop in order to grow his/her collection. That doesn't seem to happen.

I do I.T. work for a living. in the 90's I warned a lot of people of why I felt the dotcom phase was never going to pan out. I couldn't believe how much money people were getting to start random idiotic websites. I wanted a lot of my friend to not start one because it made no sense.

I had no motives. I just posted a theory I had and we all saw how that ended.

Will I be right about pins? Hell I don't know lol. That is why I am here listening to all sides.

But I have no motives. Just curiosity.

#483 6 years ago

Didn't you say that you can afford a $10k game, but you don't want to pay that much?
    Some good advice is to find a hobby or activity that is at a certain price where it's value lines up with your value and get into that then.
    Or get a Firepower and play that if you can "lower" your standards that much. Boo boo.

Yes, you are correct. I said I didn't want to buy a pinball machine that is worth 4-5k for 10k.

And yes I am aware that cheaper options exist. Though they have no relevance to a topic about a personal theory about prices dropping on overpriced pins.

And I do own a cheap busted up old EM pin. Because I have low standards.

#484 6 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

OK, I'm done.
    Thread should be re-titled "Why I feel like Plummeting"

Or maybe I should re-titled it "A subject you will hate. Come in and get angry. Or keep scrolling. Or come in and get angry. Just come in you know you want to!".

#486 6 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

The topic that underlies a lot of this and other discussions is that as prices rise, you have collectors that can afford the new pins and those that have been priced out of the market. A lot of what people consider A list titles (90's B/W) came when production was limited. Those games in a lot of cases have been restored and the combination of scarcity and restoration allow them to command a higher price. Rich guys want these pieces as trophies while people priced out of the market and want those games are upset. It happens in every hobby. From my own experience, I see prices rising and that is not going to change. In my case, I am trying to decide if I want to go spend the money on a nice ToM (my favorite game from back in the day) or take that same money and buy something NIB like Houdini.
    Just remember: Whether you are a rich guy or priced out of the market, neither side is "right" or "wrong". You just have different motivations and priorities.

You know that I will totally agree with!

If someone buys a 5k pin and puts a lot of money into it and restores it back to mint, hell yeah, makes some profit.

Truth be told I can see why some pins cost what they do. Unfortunately a lot of people own a worn out MM and go "hey, Bob sold his for 10k, I'll post mine for 10k. Then someone desperate for that machine (with pockets deep enough to not feel it) will snatch it up. They don't care, they just gotta have it! They used to play that all the time as a kid, how cool would it be to own it!

Then another sellers says "man, Joe sold his crappy MM and he got 10k also, maybe I can get 11k.

That is the artificial value I see dying off the moment all the deep pocket buyers dry up. You can only fish a lake for so long before it dries up.

(Disclaimer: The prices I used are examples and may not reflect actual values.)

#494 6 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Civil discourse. I dig it!
    The thing to keep in mind is that deep pockets do not dry up. There will always be somebody coming in with money to fill the void. People's nature is to keep up with the Jonses or always be afraid that they will miss out on things. This hype cycle of fear and inadequacy keeps me employed (I am in sales ). As others have mentioned, secondary games tend to be holding relatively consistent. It will be interesting to see what happens with MM and AFM with the remakes hitting from a price perspective, but you will have some folks that want the original and some that want the new technology.
    You are always going to have some guy with more brains then sense overpay for something. That doesn't set the bar for what is high, just like somebody liquidating their collection because they are in trouble with the IRS set the bar low. Market economics tend to have a way or equalizing out. As we see now, that tends to be a relatively moderate uptrend for now.

But see this is where part two of my theory comes into play. I agree that there will always be deep pockets but how many more pockets are coming to the store?

This is the one thing that makes me wonder the most. Will the next generation (the generation that grew up without pins and arcades) will they even be interested in pin. And if so how many of those (which I believe will be low number) are going to have deep pockets. I believe pin is about to reach that next level. A level it never reached before. That level where pin was forgotten in the past. And that past is catching up with us.

But maybe I am wrong and a TON of new kids will discover pin and they will all make 100k a year and have no problem paying these prices.... but I got a gut feeling it isn't going to be that glorious.

#501 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I like how this guy completely ignores people like Rarehero pointing out exactly the problem, which is that he's acting like a troll because he's ignoring everyone, and then calls everyone else trolls.
    Mods, at what point can we just call this guy a troll and give him a nice eject?

I love how people like you come in here and only have to address OP and focus on just OP only while completely ignoring that OP has 499 post in this forum, 470 of them are people all asking him stuff at the same time.

Do you think I have no life and I am just sitting here typing nonstop trying to reply to every single person?
    Most of the time I just refresh, see the last post and go from there.

#503 6 years ago

This exact argument has been used, literally, for decades, in every hobby.
    Including pinball.
    I'd also add that there is no such thing as 'artificial value'. If something sells for $10K guess whats it value is?
    And dont forget, hipster barcades, filled with 20 somethings, are playing more pinball than many of us ever did and creating their own nostalgia for these things
    Consider the lake restocked.
    (Also dont forget virtually all of us would love to see prices plummet. We're just not holding our breath.)

Ok, in all fairness I'll retitled that.

Artificial value will now be known as "temporary value".

#506 6 years ago

No wonder you are not learning anything.

Well at least I am staying focused on the topic and not saying dumb stuff like "hurr durr, you can buy another machine hurr durr".

Talking to you is like this:

Hey, did you guy see how much the Big Mac was at McDonalds? Do you guys think the price will get higher or lower?

You: Hurr durr, you know you don't have to be all elite and eat the Big Mac you can just buy a double cheeseburger and lower your standards.

Which has NOTHING to do with the topic lol.

So yeah, maybe you should catch up on the discussion yourself my friend.

#509 6 years ago

Ok what year will this plummet you are predicting will happen and how much will your $10k MB example go down in price?

Lol.. When did I ever claim to have a MB? 50 post of how I would never buy one at the current price and you ask how much mine will be worth. Come on man, see this is why I can't keep up with people. I have to spend 30 mins sorting through the nonsense.

And my topics clearly states I predict the fall in 5-10 years. That is when I predict the overpriced super titles (as I call them) to drop about 30-40% in value roughly.

#511 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Welcome to Pinside. Just to let you know, you can't control a topic except in a club thread. Every bit of this has been on topic as far as I can see.

How does someone saying "if you don't like the price buy something cheaper" have ANYTHING to do with a discussion about "prices of pins dropping in 10 years"?

Seriously, explain this to me. Cause we all know we don't have to buy them... we all know this. But what does that have to do with the topic of will prices drop or continue to rise.

Maybe I am missing something.

#515 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Here you go, I'll quote his post which pretty much covers it.

Ok awesome. You shared one guys view. Sweet.

I wasn't aware than once Rarehero posted that the topic is finished. That isn't how a discussion works. Nor is "rarehero" anymore correct than I am. in 10 years we will know who is right, but as of right now it is all up for discussion.

#518 6 years ago

All value is temporary. In the case of pinballs, the value has been increasing for decades despite an almost constant assertion by some that the end is near.

You know I will agree with that. It is all temporary but there is usually a pretty standard market value. Like right now 72's chevelle's have a certain "average" value so to speak. Like a blue book value. It goes a little up and and little down based on condition.

Now let's say Vin Diesel drives one in the next Fast and Furious and holy smokes everyone's gotta have it. Well you will normally see an influx... one that will roughly last as long as the movie does until Toretto is back to driving his RX-7.. the that "original" blue book value sorta returns. Usually not dead on but close.

So that is what I am referring to. Right now I believe pin is getting a lot of attention. And once people are looking the other way we will return to 2007 prices (plus some).

If you get what I mean... but like I said, I'm not certain of any of this.. just a hunch.

#519 6 years ago

Pfft you have know idea when the plummet will happen and how bad it is going to be do you?
    You could say the stcok market will crash and the housing market will crash and some day you will be right. Maybe next year maybe the year after or maybe.....

Of course I don't now! That is why it is called a "theory" a "hunch" a "feeling".

I'm not here to tel the future. I am here telling why I feel it is coming. And getting peoples opinion on the matter.

I think everyone here knows I am not a prophet.

#525 6 years ago

Ok. So you're prediction is that in the next 5-10 years, ultra high priced pins will drop 30-40% and everything else, what? 10-20%?
    What a yawnfest dude! I can here for plummeting firesale prices!!!!

Actually I am only talking about ultra highs dropping as of right now.

To be honest with you I see the lower ends going up as more of those will be purchased since higher ends are so overpriced. I believe interest in lower ends will dominate causing the higher ends to no longer becomes as desirable.

Then once the price drops it will all level out.

#526 6 years ago

LOL. Nice!

#527 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You have 1 pin in your collection. Put it up as an auction to the highest bidder, that will tell you where the market is currently.

Nah, I would rather wait for Skill Pool to becomes more popular and sell it during the boom. Maybe it will get featured in a movie or something and I can cash in on the "temporary" value.

#528 6 years ago

Where do you see them getting alot of attention? And why?

I believe with this barcade craze and stuff going on and the fact that almost every overprice pin just happens to be featured in "Pinball Arcade" (which I believe people play and say "man I want this table in real life"). I believe it is giving pin a surge of interest but I don't see it lasting.

Plus once those pinball arcade kids see the price they will continue to play the virtual version.

Which puts me onto a new point. Virtual Cabinets. I can't stand the concept but it seem people are going in that direction due to the high prices. Gonna be real sad when pinhead price out all the new blood and have them all buying virtual cabs.

Sad indeed.

#530 6 years ago

Fair enough. Back to pinball then.

Amen... can't wait to get off work to go play my sad one machine hahaha.

Sorry if I got snappy, just trying to work and have people complaining that I'm not replying to enough people and I am trying me best I promise lol.

#531 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Holy shit!!!! I just read through some of this...and sorry OP, you have one game (Skill Pool) in your collection, new to the site, and assumably at least somewhat new to the pinball world altogether. Some of your opinions are just way out there given your level of experience in this hobby, and the way you are being so defensive / attacking other people is just coming off as rude and ignorant...with no semblance to "meaningful conversation" despite you saying that is all you're trying to do. Some members have been trying to offer you valuable information from their experience, and you are just bashing it down every chance you get.
    I am not a soothsayer, so I have no opinion either way. Good luck with all your future endeavors. Interesting if the newest member to this site is the first one to be purged.

You should have read more of the discussion then. We have all covered that "I have one pin and are new here part" repetitively.
    But thanks for reminding me.

You might find this shocking but just because I started buying pins doesn't mean I haven't been a player. Or followed prices for years. Or watched the trends. You can do all of those things without owning a single pin.

I don't own a lambo either what I can tell you what one cost and I can tell you if the price skyrocketted overnight. Right?

#534 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

How many times are you going to miss the point?
    Stop being a douche martyr.
    Listen & learn from those with experience and knowledge...and grow.
    Or keep being a douche. Whatever.

You love calling people names don't ya... ever think name calling is douchey?

And look I know many people like you. People who can't see 10 years in the future no more than I can but have to be right.

At least I am listening to people and going back and forth in the discussion. Because my points are valid and their points are valid and I am enjoying the debate.

But I guess you just want me to say "Rarehero" solved it don't ya?

Come on man.. do you really want me to say it?
    You know you do....
    I will if you want.

#538 6 years ago
    Quoted from thewolks:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Don't worry. I am sure you will sell your overpriced pins long before they drop. Just keep an eye out and don't wait to the last minute and you'll be fine.

#542 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes but was it 10 years ago? Huh? No I didn't think so!

Did rarehero have the definitive answer on those post also?

I bet he called someone a douche didn't he?

#544 6 years ago

You mean like when the arcade fad finally died, operators sold off their pins and the market skyrocketed because of homebuyers looking to recapture the nostalgia? Imagine those 22 year olds in 10 years now able to afford the pins they played during their young bachelor years...
    As for virtual pins...There are multicabs for arcades (and more meaningful substitutes like home emulation) but the prices have steadily risen on arcade games for even longer than pins have...

I also remember a time they couldn't give them a away.

#545 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I got it!! OP =

I must be cause I didn't agree with you... duh!

#549 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

I think the point he's trying to make is that everyone else who posted a similar thread wasn't quite as smart as he is.

No the point he is trying to make is his point is the only valid one and mine are invalid.

And in a discussion about the "future" neither is valid. It is all up for discussion.

I have listened to others and if you look you will see me on many occasions say "good point" because that is how it works. I make a point. They counter. I counter. It goes back and forth.

It is a debate, it is fun. It kills time.

But some go "hey man, I already explain it and you refuse to listen douche"..

Like for some reason he solved the riddle of the future and we can carry on. At least I am still listening to others.

#550 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Projection.

You know nothing, that much is abundantly clear.

Being right isn't the issue. Looking at the information that's available to us is. You've been presented with information and instead of having a conversation about it, you're snarking at every bit of info that comes your way.

You're not having a discussion. You're having reactions to words. You're not actually listening to anything. This "discussion" is very one way.

You're enjoying the attention. Trolls who call non-trolls "trolls" are trolls.

Again - you know nothing.
    There's been a guy like you every month making this prediction for the past 20 years. The "yous" have been wrong for 20 years. Multiple people have explained why. You keep fighting it rather than understanding it.

Again.. you know it all.

Shocker!

But just to amuse me. Please show me where I haven't listened or took others opinions into consideration. No better yet I am about to leave work. When I get home I will copy and paste all of the times someone gave me their opinions, and I said "interesting point". or "Good theory" etc... and then I countered. Give me time, I'll post all these so you can see that I have been.

And for the record I only got snarky with those who replied with sarcasm or off topic post unrelated to the topic.

Hell it is all here for you to read. You only see what YOU want to see.

#562 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

"Artificial value" = "temporary value" = "standard market value" = not a thing. The issue is you suggest these games have some intrinsic value (the $4-5k "worth" you brought up above), but they do not. As if there is some baseline "real" price that was established in 2002 or whatever to which all prices will inevitably return. It doesn't work that way. Prices will keep climbing if demand continues to grow. And they'll drop just as quickly if demand dries up. There's no reason to think prices will stop at an arbitrary "real" price on their way down if the demand is no longer there.
    It is reasonable enough to say "the game is selling for $10k today but I believe supply will increase or demand will fall and within five years I can get it for $5k, and therefore I'm not buying now." But to go from that to an assertion that the game is only "worth" $5k today, when the market is clearly saying otherwise, just does not compute.

Ok let me explain it.. one more time.

Maybe I confused you.

All value is temporary because it is constantly fluctuating at all times (a little bit back and forth and never stays put).
    I call this market value. It is the value that moves a little but stays pretty much in place. Over time with normal inflation it will go up and stay up. And then will wobble a little back and forth in its new seat.

Events can sometimes cause market value to change "for a short period of time".. I call it artificial because it doesn't really represent the objects value.. (but yes I know, if people are paying it, then it must be the value I get that. Are we still on the same page?)

Well this artificial value (well I had to call it temporary because you didn't like artificial which then led to MORE confusion because I had to change to name because (no value can be artificial) and now temporary value is being confused with the normal temporary value that we see in market value...

Ok I'll stop there.. yeah, I was being sarcastic.

Plain and simple. Items have a normal price that goes up with inflation and at times gets a mega boost due to some event. Normally it never last and drops back down to were it would have been due to normal inflation if the event had never came. I think we all agree on that right? I mean we see it happen all the time. No big secret.

So what caused this in certain titles in pinball? I don't know exactly. I have expressed different reasons. But we all.. and I mean ALL can agree that pin prices on "certain titles" did ROCKET up really really fast. Was it because of pinball arcade? Nostalgia? Greed? The Devil? Hell, I don't know but the increase doesn't feel natural at all.

So with that being said I believe it is a "bubble". And I believe the bubble will burst. And in10 years I'll be right or wrong. Hell if I know. Hell if anyone knows. And yes I understand that some of you believe it isn't a bubble but that all totally worth 15k and that is ok with me. You might be right.. never claimed to be right or wrong. I only wanted to discuss reasons and see what you guys thought.

So there, I wrapped it all up. I have NO CLUE if I will be right, I am not a prophet, I only own one pin, I am new to pinside and I have no clue and people have tried to give me the definitive answer (about the future ... smh) and I refuse to except it.

I am done for today.
    I am exhausted.

-Douche Out

#585 6 years ago
    Quoted from thewolks:

See everyone is attacking you, but you start of with "Don't worry. I am sure you will sell your overpriced pins long before they drop" How do you know what I paid? Overpriced based on what? What you think something should be worth? What you may see as overpriced, someone else may not, I think this is the problem you are not grasping that others are trying to point out to you, your opinion of price is exactly that.....yours, but you seem to think because you think a price should be X then that is what it is, no it's called perceived value.
    Perceived value: is the worth that a product or service has in the mind of the consumer. For the most part, consumers are unaware of the true cost of production for the products they buy; instead, they simply have an internal feeling for how much certain products are worth to them.
    I'm not worried about the prices coming down, but it seems you are very fixated on what you perceive something is worth as opposed to what it's market value says it's worth and this is what has you so fired up, because you want something so badly and you can't have it!
    I really don't care if the value on the games I have drops, I paid what I paid and I love the games I own. I'm not chasing after a market swing to hope I don't get hurt to try and sell before I loose $$, IT'S PINBALL, it's a game, it's entertainment for the family, it's a stress re-leaver (you need one) you are so wound up over everybody that disagrees with your opinion, but that's what it is...........an opinion and everyone else is entitled to one......Oh what no not according to you, if someones opinion disagrees with yours, they are attacking you, no they just don't agree.........................and? So what
    When did someone decide that pinball had a base line price that should be abide by?
    I too would love to pay less, but if I can't I won't wait, I will save up and buy when I have the chance or make a decision to not buy if I feel the price is to high, but I won't go crying on a thread about it. Buy it or don't buy it

Well in all fairness people have been snarky and rude to me also. For some reason I am the only one getting getting the fingers pointed at. I mean we both know why you posted hahahaha in all caps. Come in now. You were trying to stress I was dumb and didn't have a clue. So i jokingly played it back. You dont have to play the victim bro. You guys are just as guilty.

And I have listened to many here. I give and opinion. They disagree and give theirs. I disagree and counter. Then someone pops in new and rehashes the same off topic crap again because they were too lazy to ready the forum.

Then I got a guy saying "I explained it to you and you refuse to listen " , apparently because I listened and I still disagree with him and never just said "I agree" he calls me a douche (but nooo one calls him out) it's just g0nz0 the douche lol.

And so be it. You guys have the right to call me whatever you want. Just dont play victim when I do it back.

Look a little bit closer and you'll see PLENTY of insults thrown at me fron random people.

#586 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Final note to g0nz0 in this thread from me
    I hope you can get as much enjoyment as possible out of pinball; you apparently joined here to share in the hobby and in the fun. I hope you find all the machines you want to buy for a price you can afford--there's room enough for all of us.

Thanks man. I love it. And you might not believe this but I really did start this topic to share my opinion and get other opinions. I didnt expect so many to attack me and I retaliated. And Im sure people probably hate me but honestly Im a nice guy who brought up a sore subject and became a target. It was my mistake and hell I tried to delete it but I guess the mod was enjoying the back and forth.

So if I personally insulted you by disagreeing with ya. My bad. Nothing personal.

Hopefully in another topic we can agree and along. Thanks for the kind words. I haven't seen many in the past 24 hours lol

#587 6 years ago

I am in I.T. mainly. Owned a computer store back in the mid 90's (back when you could make profit before HP and Dell made walmart the computer store lol. Now I currently do all th I.T work for a company I also do network security for them.

My father was into electronics (repaired ham radios and stuff) so I learned a lot of that field from him. Been a video gamer since birth. Obsessed with arcades. So I am that guy.

41 year old computer and game geek and luckily I have a 25 year old wife who is young enough to enjoy my childish hobbies I can't seem to get rid of lol. And luckily I got her into pinning and she loves it .

We actually spent our anniversary a few weeks ago playing pinball at a new barcade. So that was cool.

#588 6 years ago

Damn, i replied to the the guy insulting me instead of the one asking the question hahaha. But funny thing is I actually managed a hotel once in my life. Wasn't a holiday inn though lol

#609 6 years ago

I love how you left out the "and start from there".

Nice cut quote. You work for CNN?

#610 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I honestly think that you have been pretty decent and polite through all this. Some others, not soo much. You were just stating an opinion, not a fact and got ripped for it although i do see why many are very tired of this type of thread. Move on and enjoy the many many things that Pinside offers. Lots of fantastic people in here.

Thank you for replying, you made my night. I was seriously sitting here earlier thinking to myself "does nobody really see how slammed I got first and see why I got angry those times. Do they not realize my post is just a theory, not a fact".

You gave me hope again!

#611 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

We're gonna need some pics asap

Damn, someones lonely tonight lol

1 month later
    #752 6 years ago

1980's - Pinball's Booming
    1990's - Pinball's Crashing

Never underestimate the power of a decade.

I'm sure if you had told pinheads in the 80's that in 10 years Stern would be the last struggling manufacturor and pinball would be in a coma they would have laughed at you...

But one thing is certain... that laugher died.

6 years later
    #1065 4 months ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Well this aged well

In all fairness I did say "5-10 years" and this post is just hitting 6 years. So saying it didn't age well one year into my predicted range isn't fair to say.

As for pin prices, well, it is fair to say in 2022 (5 years into my prediction) they released the "Pinflation on Ice" article showing prices leveling for the first time in the past few years. And there are a lot of pins in 2023 selling much lower than ever before and if you look at the chart on the pin prices website it shows yearly increases hitting a max of 16% up in 2021, down to 12% in 2022 and in 2023..... -2.5%. Quite a big drop from previous years.

The number of barcade/pinball arcades that used to be in business have drastically lowered, every time I visit the ones closes to my area I am the only one in there playing. I think a lot of the newer players have moved on and many never even got into Pins due to the insane prices on the lower end machines.

I still have 4 more years left in my predicted range and considering we are now in a down slope a lot of those deep pocketed pin flippers (who pumped the market up) are walking away and not snatching them up as fast anymore.

I remember the people who were buying sealed graded retro games just a few years ago mocking me when I said it was due to burst since it went up too fast. After the 70%-90% drop at the auctions this year and the hundreds of thousands of dollars lost on SINGLE GAMES, well, I haven't heard a peep from them. Kind of strange considering they told me it was just entering a "correction" last year.

Guess time will tell!

Quoted from WJxxxx:

Well this aged well

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider g0nz0.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet?tu=g0nz0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.