(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dsmoke1986.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#339 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Being a new "owner" doesn't mean I haven't followed pins for many years. I have been a long time arcade lover and knew arcade owners. I also looked into buying many time but never had the money or space for one until recently.
    But being "New" doesn't make me blind.
    Maybe instead of focusing on me you could focus on the topic. Maybe justify these prices. I'm all ears. That's the point of the debate.
    And also google "opinion". I think you got it confused with the word "wizard". I only stated why I "felt" prices will fall. I never claimed I knew they would with certainty.
    Maybe I should have put my "opinion disclaimer" at the beginning in bold :-/

Quoted from g0nz0:

But this hobby is the only one that I have ever seen explode like this.
    For example I buy, restore and sell retro consoles. (Nes, snes etc). The price on these dropped very low at one point. Now a lot of 40 years olds wanna re live their childhood and prices went up. On eBay prices are like $150 for a NES. Sure, I still find them for 20 here and there but ththe market value like $100 on average (which is still lower than retail back when they came out).
    But with pins the prices skyrocketed. It would be like if a NES was selling for 3k in comparison. That is why I feel like it has to fall. Too much too soon. I mean even with cars you can still buy a nice 72 Chevelle cheaper than a Monster Bash lol
    I've never seen a hobby go up so fast in price. But I could be wrong and missed some.

Sorry, but you aren't stating the truth here....Pins now are exactly the same as with console games; it's simple supply and demand. NES was the best selling system of the 80's/90's by far; there were tons of them and tons of NES cartridges in existence...Look at what's happened to Neo Geo and TurboGrafx prices, they have skyrocketed...You couldn't give those Turbo games away in the late 90's; I know, I made some horrible trades with them for N64 stuff, and wish I could have that back...I'm looking at you Beyond Shadowgate.

Same as pins today; Well, you missed out on the 2k AFM from 10 years ago, get over it; it is what it is. There were only 3500 of them produced, so that's just economics.

However, given the resurgence in popularity of this hobby, you now have PP and Chicago Gaming Company doing a remake, which you can buy brand new for $6500; that's awesome, and should be appreciated.

I should add that Arcade Cab prices are skyrocketing right now, not for shitty conversions, but for true dedicateds, the prices have gone up a lot in the past 3 years alone. Paperboys for 5-6k, Vector games at 2k, Dedicated Midway fighters at 1k+ easy all day.

#352 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Console games are crazy and not in a good way. I refuse to pay $5.00 a cartridge for crappy NES games like Double Dribble. It used to be fun to buy video games but not anymore.
    I haven't noticed an upswing in arcade vids either. I'm sure there's a small natural raising of prices but nothing drastic. Everything around here is still less than a thousand most days.

I'm not talking about commons like a Konami Double Dribble, we are talking rare games, same with Arcade Cabs - Dedicateds...In the Northeast the prices have skyrocketed; I'm not talking about crappy conversions or 60-1's. True dedicateds in great condition...That's just like comparing a routed players pin to a HUO/Fully restored, etc...

#467 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

Honestly this is no different than a discussion between a Bull & Bear when it comes to the stock market. He makes alot of valid points in his original post. I probably fit the mold of the current pinball collector in the 49-59 year range and as we age there is no doubt we start to think about retirement.....the kids are out of college and your priorities change with regards to things like Health Care. Lets face it when we all hit retirement age we need to look for supplemental health insurance to cover that 20% that Medicare won't cover. It's not a cheap expense but it's a necessary expense.
    I can see the pinball market slowing down in 5-10 years as the current target market ages and draws closer to retirement. I never looked at this hobby as an investment....and I have recently purchased two NIB Pins. I don't expect to get my money back on this stuff.....but I still think as long as I take excellent care of the pins I will be able to get a 70% of my money back. In the meantime I'll just enjoy them because they are a blast to play.
    I will touch on this he made mention of the desire for retro games with regards to consoles....I have a very nice collection of console arcade games from Atari 2600 - PlayStation and it's all MINT....I have several NIB console games that I have been offered several thousand dollars for each of them.....won't sell them......but I am thinking about because I feel that market is starting to reach it's peak....possibly in a year or two. I estimate my retro game collection in the range of $250,000 possibly more with over 1200 titles all in original boxes....many still sealed....including many rare games that were in very limited quantities.

Don't sell, pass them on to your kids...The days of digital downloads in gaming is here, within 5 years, there is a very good chance that Gamestop will be out of business; and those physical cartridges and CD roms will skyrocket.

#573 6 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Not my problem to go solve and unless you are in the marketing or sales ops department for a pinball manufacturer, not yours either. If pinball can grow its base then that is great. If not, you will have the pie shrink as people die off and their collections will wind up in other people's hands. Neither of these two actions will make the price for the A list titles crash compared to other titles.

Exactly, in 50 years, think about how much a beautifully conditioned TAF will be worth?? A small fortune I predict.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dsmoke1986.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet?tu=dsmoke1986 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.