(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dblm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#440 6 years ago

The topic that underlies a lot of this and other discussions is that as prices rise, you have collectors that can afford the new pins and those that have been priced out of the market. A lot of what people consider A list titles (90's B/W) came when production was limited. Those games in a lot of cases have been restored and the combination of scarcity and restoration allow them to command a higher price. Rich guys want these pieces as trophies while people priced out of the market and want those games are upset. It happens in every hobby. From my own experience, I see prices rising and that is not going to change. In my case, I am trying to decide if I want to go spend the money on a nice ToM (my favorite game from back in the day) or take that same money and buy something NIB like Houdini.

Just remember: Whether you are a rich guy or priced out of the market, neither side is "right" or "wrong". You just have different motivations and priorities.

#491 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

You know that I will totally agree with!
    If someone buys a 5k pin and puts a lot of money into it and restores it back to mint, hell yeah, makes some profit.
    Truth be told I can see why some pins cost what they do. Unfortunately a lot of people own a worn out MM and go "hey, Bob sold his for 10k, I'll post mine for 10k. Then someone desperate for that machine (with pockets deep enough to not feel it) will snatch it up. They don't care, they just gotta have it! They used to play that all the time as a kid, how cool would it be to own it!
    Then another sellers says "man, Joe sold his crappy MM and he got 10k also, maybe I can get 11k.
    That is the artificial value I see dying off the moment all the deep pocket buyers dry up. You can only fish a lake for so long before it dries up.
    (Disclaimer: The prices I used are examples and may not reflect actual values.)

Civil discourse. I dig it!

The thing to keep in mind is that deep pockets do not dry up. There will always be somebody coming in with money to fill the void. People's nature is to keep up with the Jonses or always be afraid that they will miss out on things. This hype cycle of fear and inadequacy keeps me employed (I am in sales ). As others have mentioned, secondary games tend to be holding relatively consistent. It will be interesting to see what happens with MM and AFM with the remakes hitting from a price perspective, but you will have some folks that want the original and some that want the new technology.

You are always going to have some guy with more brains then sense overpay for something. That doesn't set the bar for what is high, just like somebody liquidating their collection because they are in trouble with the IRS set the bar low. Market economics tend to have a way or equalizing out. As we see now, that tends to be a relatively moderate uptrend for now.

#493 6 years ago
    Quoted from Time:

How many times can this be said, why do people think of these things as investments? Pins are toys.

Quoted for truth.

#495 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

But maybe I am wrong and a TON of new kids will discover pin and they will all make 100k a year and have no problem paying these prices.... but I got a gut feeling it isn't going to be that glorious.

Not my problem to go solve and unless you are in the marketing or sales ops department for a pinball manufacturer, not yours either. If pinball can grow its base then that is great. If not, you will have the pie shrink as people die off and their collections will wind up in other people's hands. Neither of these two actions will make the price for the A list titles crash compared to other titles.

#564 6 years ago

Hey OP, serious question. What is your professional background? You use a lot of consistent terminology in your postings. Do you have an analytics or economics background or are you arm-chairing this?

#567 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

He's arm chairing.

Not knocking him at all either. In reading through this shit tornado that landed here I noticed very specific and consistent terminology that did not resonate with what I know of economics. I did not know if there was something new that I needed to read up on.

#697 6 years ago

We get it, Radrog. You have a nice collection. You can stop posting the same 3 pictures in multiple topics.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dblm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet?tu=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.