(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brundaged.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#990 6 years ago

Just putting this out there:

The Mr. Pinball Price Guide has been published for 28 years, and it shows that IN AGGREGATE pinball prices have appreciated by about 3% every year during that time.

Yes, individual titles have fluctuated significantly. And titles less than 15 years old tend to depreciate until they hit 15. I'm taking these statements directly from the Guide.

Shouldn't this hard data over nearly 30 years put to rest the idea that a crash in the pinball market is "inevitable"? At most, we might see a crash in NIB pricing, or in the pricing for pins less than 15 years old. But that's different than the bottom falling out of the market.

I still think the outlook for pinball is pretty strong.

#994 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that guide is a sham and I am amazed it still publishes at all. I have found it is used by people that hustle games to either buy cheap (use an older guide to show unknowing casual pin owners) and sell high (using a new guide to try and base a price off a high average when selling a turd quality game).
    The guide is pretty useless and if anything plays into the inflated prices over the past few years.

Since you offer no data this is just an unsubstantiated opinion.

#995 6 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Price Guides get there prices from auctions and no I do not mean Ebay people do not sell there games at the prices of liquidation sales

I did an analysis of Mr Pinball, eBay, and Pinside for my bank about a year ago and found them all to be very close to each other. The myth of eBay prices is just confirmation bias.

#1000 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry, I dont have the time to publish it all for you. After enough years of paying attention to prices and experience, that guide is worthless.

I'm not saying your experience is wrong, but it probably doesn't mean what you think it means. I'd agree that the price guide is usually not a good source for the price of an "in vogue" game, or even for any specific title. Or if a collector tends to only trade in newer machines then you could accurately say the guide is relatively worthless.

But you can't refute the aggregate data: If you have 100 RANDOM pinball machines from the last 40 years, the value of that collection has risen 3% each year for 28 years.

#1009 6 years ago

The people who want the market to crash only have confirmation bias to draw their conclusions from. I don't get why any Pinsider would want to see the pinball market in decline, but it sure seems like there are a lot of people on here with a secret wish for disaster. I guess because they want to pick up the hot deals if it happens? What other motives are there? Whatever it is, it's not objective.

There really is a lot of data that the market is growing, yet no one wants to talk about it. It's weird. I'll pay attention when someone presents actual data supporting a decline.

#1029 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Wow, everyone so upset at the idea prices might fall.

I think it's more a desire to talk about facts rather than speculation.

#1033 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Fair enough. It's all speculation on either side of the debate. But surely there's not a lot of upside on prices? Whilst I agree "Plummet" is probably a bit harsh, I definitely think NIB buyers of all colours (Le, premium, pro) will take a bit more of a bath on resale going forward.

It seems like the naysayers are basing their conclusions mostly on individual experience and their biases.

There's plenty of actual, independent data suggesting the market is growing. That's not speculation.

I agree that the price for new pins is volatile. The data shows nearly every NIB buyer will lose money on that purchase if held over the long term.

So maybe there are really two discussions here: 1) The overall pinball market, and 2) the market for relatively new pins.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brundaged.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet?tu=brundaged and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.