(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 6 years ago

I don't think it has much to do with nostalgia, but you can't deny that pinball is cool and fashionable right now.

And like all cool and fashionable things it will become uncool and unfashionable at some point. And when it does you'll have a bunch of people with machines they don't play much and don't know how to fix taking up space in their basement.

Then the question becomes how much longer is it going to be cool? I don't think it's on the downwards spiral but I'd think it's coming in the next 2 years (no data or anything to back this up, just my hunch).

Another thing is that people probably work their way up, starting with less popular titles then moving on to the A titles. Those people in the know and many years in the hobby will be the first ones to see price trend flattening but won't be able to sell to the more mainstream crowd who would never consider buying a 10k machine so the tower will topple at the top first.

(Or maybe not! Not losing sleep over this, but seems like a likely scenario to me... )

Edit: I watched The Big Short this weekend too, so maybe I'm seeing bubbles everywhere

#355 6 years ago

Is pinball trendy? I think when PBR has its own machine made, you can say it is. You see it popping up in TV ads, barcades popping up too, etc. Does trend affect prices? I would think it does, a lot.
    Is the trend going to taper off at some point? Yes it will, like all trends.

However, pinball has an intrinsic value that a lot of trends don't. They're not Beanie Babies, they'll never be worth 0. They're fun to play (most of them are), nice to look at (most of them are), they'll always have that americana appeal (most of them will), and there's a new generation that is being turned on to them.

From being the coolest thing in the world in the 70's, pinball hit a huge slump in the late 90's, and now it's creeping back up again to near 70's level of popularity.
    The best A and B titles are not going back to 2000$, but I would think when the trend tapers off, the market will get a correction, and I think at some point you might have a hard time selling off those Super LEs for anything close you got them for, and some of those crappier DMDs that are selling at crazy prices (I've seen SFII's advertised for >2k over here) may go back to eyesores sitting unplayed and unsold in basements at some point, while the good machines retain good value to the collector core which will be unaffected by the trends.

(I like to do disclaimers in these controversial topics: I've been in the hobby for about 6 years, was I affected by said trend, probably to some extent, and I think the PBR machine looks cool as hell )

#412 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Uh, no. Not even close. Need to sell about 100,000 more games in a year to be even remotely close, like 10x what they're probably selling now. Only thing that's increased is home ownership.

Yeah I guess you're right, that was a gross overstatement on my part. There are no monocultures anymore and I don't think it can ever get to that level again, just as no band will ever be as big as the Beatles again...
    That being said, my point was that some people are saying the market's been steadily going up for 20 years as support that it will keep growing. That's saying it's been growing since the last time it recessed, that doesn't mean it's going to keep growing forever.

That being said, again I don't see a plummet because of the intrinsic value of pinball, but there will certainly be a correction at some point in the future and a recession when the pinball trend has come and gone where only the cream of the crop games keep most of their value and the rest have a harder time finding buyers.
    Now is that a good or bad thing, mostly good for most collectors I would think, just stating what I would think is a plausible scenario.

#683 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Last time the economy/market tanked, pin prices went up. That's the thing - even though pinball may be an. "Investment" to some people - it's not usually viewed as a traditional financial investment. It's a physical item that is collectible due to the finite amount that exist. No one liquidated their collections for cash during the recession. They were immune to what happened. There was no "pinball bank" that said "Today that $5000 game is now only worth $1000". I've said it before - the only thing that causes prices to "plummet" is a simultaneous mass sell-off. There's almost no scenario where that happens....where 100's of the same titles all of the sudden flood back on the market.

I think that scenario exists in some kind of feedback loop.
    As the prices keep climbing, some people who put x money in a collection that is now worth let's say 5 times as much start cracking and selling off, market gets flooded and prices drop a certain amount.
    Now it's not like there's a clear threshold at which that happens and everybody sells at the same time, which probably means some correction in the future is likelier than a plummet.
    Again, if this was a pure fad with no intrinsic value the plummet scenario would be very likely, but although rather trendy pinball has a pretty great an staying inherent value and I think it's much better protected from high volatility.

#687 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I think a good majority of existing pinball collectors bought their games pre-bonkers prices. I certainly did. Almost all my games are worth way more what I paid...but, I don't feel like cashing out for the sake of cashing out. I like my games. I'll prob sell a bunch in the future, but due to personal life stuff vs. any relationship to the economy.

You might not, and people who do might not want to "cash out" and sell everything, but as prices go up so does the pressure to sell some machines which may or may not cause some flooding of the market and act as a feedback loop to the price inflation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet?tu=PhilGreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.