(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,066 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 22.
    #251 6 years ago

There should be a 'wishful thinking' section so we can correctly file these threads.

#252 6 years ago

Op, please keep us posted in the future....
    3 years from now and then another 3 years after that.
    We will see what happens!!!

#253 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Please don't take offense at this... you live in the middle of nowhere, in the fringes of Appalachia, an hour from one of the most depressed metro areas in the country.
    $12 an hour is a very low wage that draws only the least educated and least skilled applicants in most parts of the country-- those who live paycheck to paycheck for life. Most college educated people make far more than $30k -- and the general pinball buying demographic are people who are in their prime earning years. That doesn't make them "filthy sinking rich" executives or CEOs, just guys (and gals) who have a few bucks to burn.

my point is sure almost anyone can afford $1k firepower or high speed but that's not what im talking about, im talking about plunking down $10K for a new in the box machine. i dont understand where the money is coming from for the high end stuff. i make $16 per hour which for this area is better then most, my wife works full time and she makes $14.50. right now what's killing me is all of this constant rain we just got. i drive a tender truck, that is i go to the farmer's field and support the guy spraying the fields. constant rain, no work. what really stinks is the job im working is seasonal, when the agriculture season is over im out of work for the winter. by that time i will have about a year of CDL experience and its my hope that someone will hire me for the winter.

i worked for a mega carrier when i first got my CDL. i drove over the road for a little while and decided that lifestyle stinks big time (literally you dont even get a shower daily). i was gone once 8 weeks and that was the last straw, i was lucky to get hired for a local job given my limited experience driving. i got my CDL after i lost my $19 hour job and i realized how bad the average pay is. i WILL NOT work for $10-12, sorry i wont even punch a time clock for those peanuts. my name is not dumbo and i dont work for peanuts.

my only hope is to get the experience and get a higher paying, full time, year round driving job. truck drivers can do fairly well if you get the right job.

#254 6 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Would you spend 6500 on a nib though? I feel for 6k or less they would have sold like crazy. Can you still get a players AFM for 6k? Not been following that game.

I feel we may be reaching saturation for barcades like we did with sports bars a few years back and that there are too many to survive.

I agree. I believe this is just another "movement" that will be shortly lived.

#255 6 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Would you spend 6500 on a nib though? I feel for 6k or less they would have sold like crazy.

Eh, maybe. Under $6k, and definitely.

Quoted from Syco54645:

I feel we may be reaching saturation for barcades like we did with sports bars a few years back and that there are too many to survive.

There are no barcades in my area, unfortunately. There is one supposedly opening later this summer, though. There's no over-saturation here.

#256 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

When the heck is that Pinside Purge going to happen...

Beat me to it, exactly what I was thinking. It's funny that the 'more experienced' pinsiders who say the pinball market will remain healthy because there will always be more people joining are the same ones who thrash the new people posting on here because they are just getting started and don't have the same amount of knowledge.

Now, purge...purge...purge...purge...

#257 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are no barcades in my area, unfortunately. There is one supposedly opening later this summer, though. There's no over-saturation here.

I think barcades are going to be the next "escape room" trend.

I think they will introduce a lot of new faces into the industry which is a good thing. But I just don't know how long they will stick around. I don't know how many of them will decide to become a home owner of a pin either, and I don't know how many will be willing to pay current prices (on new machine or expensive titles).

#258 6 years ago

Prices will continue to go up, until it doesn't.

#259 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

I should have put "new machine" when I said that part about not being able to afford one. But I thought everyone here has figured out that I am talking about over priced A titles (since I have stated that a bunch of times now). A lot of people keep saying "well buy an older one" and that isn't what I am discussing. I am discussing the huge price jump in certain titles. We all know there are still cheap pins to be had.

Well, you either can afford a new machine or you can't. Then if you still want a pinball machine, you look for a used one or a project. This is just like if you wanted to buy a car. If you can't afford a new one, you get a used one. If you have the skills to do repairs, then you can buy a cheap one to fix up.

#260 6 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Beat me to it, exactly what I was thinking. It's funny that the 'more experienced' pinsiders who say the pinball market will remain healthy because there will always be more people joining are the same ones who thrash the new people posting on here because they are just getting started and don't have the same amount of knowledge.
    Now, purge...purge...purge...purge...

Amazing though how much interest this uninteresting topic got though. I just posted it late last night wanting to talk to members here. To see if people felt like I did or felt differently and why. I learned a valuable lesson lol.

This will be my last post here on general topics for discussion.

#261 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

My magic number was 5500. I would have jumped on that faster than <insert cliche>

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I am spoiled living in Pittsburgh, we have location pin everywhere so to me it feels very much like the sports bar over saturation a few years back.

#262 6 years ago

At least MM went down in price.

For a while, they were fetching $15,000+

#263 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Yeah, I'm sure when you posted that screen cap of me only owning 1 machine (basically stating owning 1 machine doesn't give me the right to have an opinion on the market) wasn't an insult either right?
    Carry on.

It was meant to illustrate a point without so many words. Sorry if you're offended but it's a risk when you post a controversial opinion.

#264 6 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I don't think we're at that point yet. Maybe in Pittsburgh but in southern IN it's still a close to two hour drive to find a barcade. Louisville or Indy are the options.

#265 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, you either can afford a new machine or you can't. Then if you still want a pinball machine, you look for a used one or a project. This is just like if you wanted to buy a car. If you can't afford a new one, you get a used one. If you have the skills to do repairs, then you can buy a cheap one to fix up.

You know how many times I have heard that. And do you not realizes what you said further proves me point?

If people can't afford the new ones, and they only buy "what they can afford" then that mean less buyers are buying the "expensive" ones. Which means the price will drop when no one is buying them.

This topic isn't about only buying expensive machine. It is about why I feel overprice machines will drop in price.
    We all know you can buy cheapers pins, that has nothing to do with my topic.

And I don't mean that to sound rude, just trying to explain why I posted this topic.

#266 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

This will be my last post here on general topics for discussion.

Don't let the haters get you down, this happens to all newbies who post on here. I've taken my lumps and will continue to do so.

#267 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

But luckily when they die you can usually get the good price when a relative starts dumping the collection with no clue of the value.

Kind of morbid that you might find yourself lucky that another person dies so that you can reap the benefits of a mourning family selling the deceased persons games for a cheap price.

#268 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

It was meant to illustrate a point without so many words. Sorry if you're offended but it's a risk when you post a controversial opinion.

Yeah I didn't realize it was so controversial. Like I said, I am new here. I have been following pin prices for a long time and I just felt like talking about how high they were and why I fears a plummet.

In all honesty I have no clue how many times it has been discussed in the past or why some would get upset. I mean I guess I can understand why those who paid 10k might not want to hear it, but it isn't like my words will cause it.

But I learned a lot today lol. I will limit what topics I discuss here out that's for sure! lol

#269 6 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Kind of morbid that you might find yourself lucky that another person dies so that you can reap the benefits of a mourning family selling the deceased persons games for a cheap price.

Seriously? This again?

I said the only way I would get lucky and get an A title for cheap would be if someone died and the family sold it cheap unknowingly. Why do you people continue to flip that into "I hope someone dies so I can take advantage of them". Shesh.

Someone did this last night on page one. They said "you can find a cheap one if you look hard enough" and I said, "yeah, maybe if I find a grandma who doesn't know what she has". And of course he said "well you shouldn't pride yourself and wanting to rip off grandma". lol

When I type I honestly feel as if people can see when I am talking about what I could do and what I would do but I guess maybe my English isn't what I think it is.

smh

#270 6 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

If someone I knew passed who had a TZ, AFM and MM my first thought is 'Damn, I'm sorry to hear that', and my second thought is 'I wonder what's going to happen to those pins'.

#271 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

You know how many times I have heard that. And do you not realizes what you said further proves me point?
    If people can't afford the new ones, and they only buy "what they can afford" then that mean less buyers are buying the "expensive" ones. Which means the price will drop when no one is buying them.
    This topic isn't about only buying expensive machine. It is about why I feel overprice machines will drop in price.
    And I don't mean that to sound rude, just trying to explain why I posted this topic.

I'll have to disagree. NIB games are still selling, just not everyone is buying them. Just like not everyone is buying brand new cars.

NIB prices have been going up, not down. There is enough demand to sustain the rising prices so far. When there isn't, then prices will start to decline in order to remain competative. What we probably won't see anytime soon is a sudden crash, which is what you seem to think, based on the title of the thread: "Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet"

#272 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

I bet a lot of pinsiders started by buying used machines and working up to buying a NIB, especially during the time pinball was basically dead and prices were supposedly good.

#273 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Which is why I have no friends. Speaking of which...

Chadderack just put me out of business.

See OP, there's another usage for the LOL emoji.

Damn you, beelzeboob

#274 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Yeah, I'm sure when you posted that screen cap of me only owning 1 machine (basically stating owning 1 machine doesn't give me the right to have an opinion on the market) wasn't an insult either right?
    Carry on.

No one is saying you don't have a right to an opinion. They are simply noticing your level of involvement and time in the hobby and in turn questioning your logic and motives. And I think you know this but prefer to play the victim with your false indignation. Not fooling me.

#275 6 years ago

ForceFlow - You bought a SS machine for $100? I've never seen one go for that price. If you don't mind me asking what game was it? I've only ever seen Bingo's go for that price. I'd love to buy a machine for $100 hahaha.

#276 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

But luckily when they die you can usually get the good price when a relative starts dumping the collection with no clue of the value.

I went to a garage sale in my neighborhood of a guy I had always hated, and had suddenly died.

His wife was selling all his $$$$ astronomy eyepieces for $5 each.

"He said they were $10 each new, so I figured they were worth $5 used - since I'm throwing in the case..."

That logic made sense to me, I took them all.

(never lie to your wife what something costs, or she'll sell everything for half of that if you die)

case (resized).jpgcase (resized).jpg

#277 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

No one is saying you don't have a right to an opinion. They are simply noticing your level of involvement and time in the hobby and in turn questioning your logic and motives. And I think you know this but prefer to play the victim with your false indignation. Not fooling me.

Well said.

#278 6 years ago

Hey there's no restored Sinbad for me in here...
    be59b40704a300124436b0f981bd32ed (resized).jpgbe59b40704a300124436b0f981bd32ed (resized).jpg

#279 6 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

In 2017, the number of "A" Williams worth $10K+ is very, very small.

it should also be noted that the average condition of a game for sale now is significantly nicer than the heavily routed examples that generally made up the market 15 years ago. a much larger percentage of the games for sale today have spent a long time in private collections being fixed up if not genuinely restored. i know you alluded to that point, i just want to explicitly point out that even comparing prices of machines isn't exactly apples to apples -- 15 years ago you could find a beater MM for $4k. but nowadays good luck finding any "beater" MM at all -- they've almost all been restored into very nice games.

#280 6 years ago

Well I need to get some work done today and I'm done with the thread.

To those of you who had a civil discussion it was nice chatting with you guys.

To the trolls..... work on it. It is an art if you do it right. Stop making it so obvious.

And to those who overpaid, regret it and fear the uncertain future don't worry. You'll probably flip it long before anything happens I'm sure.

#281 6 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

forceflow - You bought a SS machine for $100? I've never seen one go for that price. If you don't mind me asking what game was it? I've only ever seen Bingo's go for that price. I'd love to buy a machine for $100 hahaha.

One of the Atari pins. I've obtained various other games in the $100-$300 range before, you just need to keep your eyes and ears open and be ready to pounce quickly.

#282 6 years ago

I'll again preface by saying that I don't intend to offend you. You aren't grasping what I'm getting at though...

Quoted from ad356:

my point is sure almost anyone can afford $1k firepower or high speed but that's not what im talking about, im talking about plunking down $10K for a new in the box machine. i dont understand where the money is coming from for the high end stuff. i make $16 per hour which for this area is better then most, my wife works full time and she makes $14.50. right now what's killing me is all of this constant rain we just got. i drive a tender truck, that is i go to the farmer's field and support the guy spraying the fields. constant rain, no work. what really stinks is the job im working is seasonal, when the agriculture season is over im out of work for the winter. by that time i will have about a year of CDL experience and its my hope that someone will hire me for the winter.

The money for those NIB machines is coming from people who both make more money than you do, and aren't doing seasonal work. Rather than looking at the hourly wage, look at what you are bringing home annually. Where you live has its good points and bad points-- on the plus side, housing is cheap. On the negative side, wages are highly depressed.

Quoted from ad356:

i worked for a mega carrier when i first got my CDL. i drove over the road for a little while and decided that lifestyle stinks big time (literally you dont even get a shower daily). i was gone once 8 weeks and that was the last straw, i was lucky to get hired for a local job given my limited experience driving. i got my CDL after i lost my $19 hour job and i realized how bad the average pay is. i WILL NOT work for $10-12, sorry i wont even punch a time clock for those peanuts. my name is not dumbo and i dont work for peanuts.
    my only hope is to get the experience and get a higher paying, full time, year round driving job. truck drivers can do fairly well if you get the right job.

You said you're in your mid-30s. What have you been doing for the last 15 years? Your 20s and early 30s are when you should be gaining all of that education and experience that gets you ahead further in life. This place (https://www.mclaneco.com/content/mclaneco/en/home.html) advertises on local radio in the Albany area that they are paying $75,000 a year to start with experienced CDL drivers. Maybe you should check them out...

#283 6 years ago

Shoot...I wish prices would plummet...I'd add even more to my collection!

#284 6 years ago

Damn it, he figured me out. I was hoping my simple topic on Pinside would change pinball as we know it! I was hoping tomorrow pin prices worldwide would fall because of my clever attempt and you guys figured me out.

Damn, I need to practice more...

Shucks.

Later folks! I have a 2pm appointment over at Facebook. Trying to get a guy to sell me his 9k pin for 1k by telling him the moon is going to collide into earth. Wish me luck!

#285 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I went to a garage sale in my neighborhood of a guy I had always hated, and had suddenly died.
    "He said they were $10 each new, so I figured they were worth $5 used - since I'm throwing in the case..."
    (never lie to your wife what something costs, or she'll sell everything for half of that if you die)

You're dead. What do you care what she sells it for.

#286 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Later folks! I have a 2pm appointment over at Facebook. Trying to get a guy to sell me his 9k pin for 1k by telling him the moon is going to collide into earth. Wish me luck!

I already told you I'm not selling.

#287 6 years ago

To the OP... the subject itself (will prices go down significantly/soon) isn't one I'd take on because as many people have already said in the thread--it depends on a lot of variables. Maybe the moon will collide with the Earth. Maybe certain global leaders will have an oopsie with a red button. Maybe people will find something they like better than pinball.

For me the subject isn't that interesting because whether or not prices rise or fall doesn't impact pinball enjoyment for me... and beyond that, I wouldn't feel like I have enough information to pull up a prediction in a crystal ball about where prices are going.

So you'll have to forgive some people's suspicions about a person's motives when posting such a thread because it looks like a duck is a duck. If nothing else I just pointed out the humor of the situation and--to be fair--pointed out the other extreme too.

Maybe I'm just in a d_ck mood today Sorry. Hope things go better for you the rest of the week.

#288 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Really! I wouldn't even care if she humped Yfzguy.

On second thought...

#289 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

But luckily when they die you can usually get the good price when a relative starts dumping the collection with no clue of the value. But that doesn't always happen :-\

You sound like a really great guy

#290 6 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

So you'll have to forgive some people's suspicions about a person's motives when posting such a thread because it looks like a duck is a duck.

Quoted from chadderack:

Maybe I'm just in a d_ck mood today

A duck mood?

#292 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Really! I wouldn't even care if she humped Yfzguy.
    On second thought...

I really wish you would have said hi at Allentown. Then I would have got to meet your wife.

#293 6 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

I've only ever seen Bingo's go for that price.

I've bought two of my personal games for less than $100. Not bingos, though.

I see this type of talk all the time - but bingos are not generally so cheap unless there's something wrong (person needs the space or doesn't know what they have or have no interest in repair or it has an active infestation of some kind). It's the same with all kinds of games, yes, including solid state. I should also say that price depends on the title, heavily.

Flipper != pinball.

Bingos are endlessly challenging, fun (yes, I said it) to repair, and for the most part, have great artwork and coin flash animation - not to mention the mechanical backbox animation or playfield animation...

Looks like you might be local - perhaps you'd like to come give them a shot sometime so you can see what a working bingo pinball machine is all about? Shoot me a PM if so.

#294 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I really wish you would have said hi at Allentown. Then I would have got to meet your wife.

She was too busy drinking with Yfzguy, Schlockdoc, and Skypilot. She drinks to forget she ever met them.

#295 6 years ago

Does Gonzo drive a Hellcat?

Jk Kman . Although he could be just F ing with you guys

#296 6 years ago

I dare to enter this thread.....

As a person that grew up in the 80's and early 90's playing Ataris and NES, I am drawn more to DMD era and above titles. Maybe it's because I'm drawn to pins that feel more like video games than the older style SS and EM games that feel more like plinko to me when playing. Like similar people of my "generation" (30's), we're starting to get to the point of having some extra disposable income for fun and entertainment, and with a family of my own now, I'm wanting a home that I can have the kids' friends come over and be entertained and not nose down in their phones. They want to continue to play video games, but most titles while being multiplayer, still require multiple consoles because it's one player per console. Boy do I miss GoldenEye! But pins in the house make a more social atmosphere, once the kids get over the "pins are for old people" stigma. Most people I talk to that aren't in the pin hobby have no idea that pins are still being made!

As part of the noobie buyer label, I think that prices for some of the older feeling games of EM and SS era may creep lower, but DMD era pins, where the theme can resonate with the buyer, will remain steady if not continue to rise.

Just my 2 pennies

#297 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

She was too busy drinking with Yfzguy, Schlockdoc, and Skypilot. She drinks to forget she ever met them.

Hmmm, she told me she drank to forget who her husband was

#298 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

What are they really worth?

#299 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's going to cost A LOT to get me out of Purgatory.....

#300 6 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

What are they really worth?

Used, a few hundred bucks each.

There are 1,066 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.