(Topic ID: 188515)

Why I feel Pinball Prices Are Going To Plummet...

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,066 posts
  • 262 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will Pinball Prices Drop Hard Over The Next Ten Years?”

• Definitely 137 votes
      19%
    • Not a Chance 283 votes
      39%
    • The Future Is Uncertain 298 votes
      42%

(718 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bounce (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    500 Hats (resized).png
    trading-places-copylab (resized).png
    crystalball.gif
    std160 (resized).jpg
    20994163_508473359495199_2732693749596596543_n.jpg
    Understanding Market Prices.jpg
    IMG_0547 (resized).JPG
    18555879_1539155196115105_149888256188700266_n (resized).jpg
    18491740_462302524112283_6063571034552307319_o (resized).jpg
    lAhV1U3MCBPhu.gif
    20170502_171951 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205752 (resized).jpg
    20170430_205820 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,066 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 22.
    #651 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Literally lot's of stuff:

PWM driven flippers

Magnetic ghostbuster slingshots

Fiber optic lighting on TRON LE ramps.

Motorized moving bridges

Peak-a-boo beaded curtains in playboy

BUSTED !!!!!!

#652 6 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

I failed to realize that the OP , owning one pin was so right. Many have used the phrase (10,000 by Christmas ), so
    I am selling all 36 of my pins at a discount to that $10,000 price, $9,500, each!! LOL. It's a hobby, buy, sell, play,
    have fun.

Holy moly you have a Stern addiction!

#653 6 years ago

It would be way more helpful if you'd tell me what's up with the US stock market.

#654 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Magnetic ghostbuster slingshots

That was breaking perfectly good working slingshot tech.

A move backwards.

Never again, please!

#655 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That was breaking perfectly good working slingshot tech.
    A move backwards.
    Never again, please!

It's an interesting change-up after 70 years of sameness.

The first ramp in pinball was not all that good.

Neither was the first multiball, or speech, or.....

#656 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Many popular and classic EM games are selling for the same values as WMS System 11 and early DMD games from the 1990s.
    The machines are not cheap at all, although I wish they were.
    Wishing thinking on the part of others.
    A person has to search very hard to find examples in superb condition without planking, or window pane backglasses.
    Much harder than any single DMD game made from 1990 and up.
    Well below average games not so much a problem, but the average starts at $500 and up for working examples.
    Most EMs baselined years ago and have been on the rise ever since.
    The past five years caused a significant EM rebound due to increasing NIB pricing as they have been pulled along, and become more popular since manufacturers have spiked their machines for short term monetary gains.
    Dealers are bringing them out of storage as well, since they can turn a fast buck for them as "projects" (the technicians do not know how to repair them in most cases).
    This is just one small area to correct misinformation in this thread.
    The days of $150 non-working EMs in great condition sitting in people's basements are slowly coming to close, although periodically you can still do warehouse acquisitions and oddballs here and there if you know the regions you live.
    The largest cause is due to the quality of the machines themselves.
    Many do not feel like replacing cabinets, but still save the playfields and backglasses when possible while removing the internal baseboards.
    If enthusiasts want to learn something regarding the overall market, game values, and trends, buy the the upcoming Mr. Pinball Price Guide 2017.
    Understand the differences.
    People do not need to speculate anything across most of the noted remarks.
    The work has already been done and researched yearly for enthusiasts by those that are involved.
    Good fortune and happy future reading.

Non working em's ending at $150? Maybe in your area, but there are so many around here that I wouldn't take one for free. The last one I got I struggled to get $100 for. Not even worth the effort.

#657 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's an interesting change-up after 70 years of sameness.
    The first ramp in pinball was not all that good.

Interesting doesn't = good or functional. Some pinball things are just things that work. Slings have always worked well being slings. Changing them to magnets didn't do anything other than make them less sensitive to firing (due to 1 switch) & give you cheap deaths by randomly just making the ball drop down the middle for no reason. I love magnets in pinball, but they usually have a reason and purpose for the tricks they're doing. Magna slings don't do anything but make slings into worse-slings. It's a gimmick that wasn't well thought out...but hey, that's one of many things that weren't thought out on GB.

#658 6 years ago

Plummet? No. However, I think we see prices on the high end games, $7k+, taking more of a hit compared to "lower" priced games. There are more newer higher priced games then ever and only so many pinball dollars to go around. As people want the latest games it means more inventory on the market which means overtime it will impact prices of existing games.

#659 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Plummet? No. However, I think we see prices on the high end games, $7k+, taking more of a hit compared to "lower" priced games. There are more newer higher priced games then ever and only so many pinball dollars to go around. As people want the latest games it means more inventory on the market which means overtime it will impact prices of existing games.

Newer games are too new to be relevant to long term price discussions. If a game is in production, of course used games prices will take a hit. Once it's out of production, the game will have to earn a reputation in order for there to be demand.

"Classic" games should remain relatively stable as their reputations have been earned (good or bad) and their supply is finite (unless they're remade lol)

#660 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Interesting doesn't = good or functional. Some pinball things are just things that work. Slings have always worked well being slings. Changing them to magnets didn't do anything other than make them less sensitive to firing (due to 1 switch) & give you cheap deaths by randomly just making the ball drop down the middle for no reason. I love magnets in pinball, but they usually have a reason and purpose for the tricks they're doing. Magna slings don't do anything but make slings into worse-slings. It's a gimmick that wasn't well thought out...but hey, that's one of many things that weren't thought out on GB.

I like them so far.

It will be interesting to see what the next version of the software does with them.

#661 6 years ago

The Magno-Slings ®™ are not that horrible...I mean they don't work that well and the 1 switch on them seems to be a bad idea, but they don't ruin it for me.
    I'm wondering what we would think if they were put on a good machine? The 1 switch is still bad, but I wonder on a game that isn't so...well...GBish what they would be like

#662 6 years ago

Really.... Still going ? ....

#663 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Wow, I usually agree with your feelings on GB 100% (I hate the game). However on this point, I disagree. The magna-slings fit the theme perfectly and are something new and different.

#664 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Wow, I usually agree with your feelings on GB 100% (I hate the game). However on this point, I disagree. The magna-slings fit the theme perfectly and are something new and different.

Sure they fit the theme, but I don't really think they accomplish anything interesting for the player. Like - if you walked up to it and didn't know they were magnets - you probably wouldn't even notice except you might think they're weak....and then when they drain you you're like WTF. I really never want to play GB again but if I did - I'd rather play the Pro I think. I like Slimer more on the Pro, too.

#665 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I really never want to play GB again but if I did - I'd rather play the Pro I think.

Haha the grass is greener?

Right ramp that isn't a ramp
    Right scoop that isn't a scoop
    Slings sending most balls down the shitter

#666 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha the grass is greener?
    Right ramp that isn't a ramp
    Right scoop that isn't a scoop
    Slings sending most balls down the shitter

You're right - both versions are too fundamentally flawed to exist.

#667 6 years ago

My buddy scored one last year out in the Dalles Oregon for 1500, the stars lined up nicely on that day.

Quoted from Syco54645:Please let me know when I can get a TZ for $1500.

#668 6 years ago
    Quoted from johngravenews:

Supply in the UK is at rock bottom. Even DE / SEGA games have virtually doubled in price over the last 12 months.
    The playing / buying demographic are firmly in their 40s. In 30 years time supply might increase as people die or downsize but until then I wouldn't expect a big increase in demand.
    Poor exchange rates have pushed NIB prices up to an eye watering level.
    Savings attract virtually no interest so why not spend cash on a table instead?
    Some people presumably are cashing in and selling their machines but not many.
    I suspect high prices will be with us for a while longer. Hopefully they won't go up further but I wouldn't bet on it. There's no way I would get into this hobby now, I remember struggling to justify £500 on a Hook as my first machine. Now starter games are £1200+

Just wanted to add that yeah, as someone who has only been in the hobby for 5 years or so I completely agree, and we have our own discussion going on about the lack of supply at the moment.

For me NIB is totally out of the question, far too expensive as has been re-iterated by a lot of people. It's the sky-rocketing price of games due to supply that has made me concerned. My first DMD cost £999 and it was a nice example of a JD 5 years ago. Now I'd be lucky to find a beater for that price.

Same as how other games have totally gone up to incredible values. When I first started my grail game, T2 was a £1200 game at best. 3 years later I found one and paid £1600 which I thought was high for what it was but it was a nice example. Now T2 easily commands £2000 or more for one in nice condition.

As OP says once the older generation start to downsize and get rid of their collection they will probably be in for a nasty shock when nobody wants to pay what they paid, but swings and roundabouts. I often hear stories of when pinball was in its downswing in the early to mid 2000's and people were picking up MM and TAF's for less than 1k each. I can see the high prices sticking around for a few more years but yeah, it can't last forever.

#669 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Come on Vid!!! Gorgar said eight full words...and sounded like a demonic robot. Actually I think the speech on Gorgar kind of sounds like a half-asleep James Earl Jones. Getting my minty one back from the guy I sold it to hopefully next week...can't wait.

Sorry to sidebar, back to the shitshow...

#670 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Come on Vid!!! Gorgar said eight full words...and sounded like a demonic robot. Actually I think the speech on Gorgar kind of sounds like a half-asleep James Earl Jones. Getting my minty one back from the guy I sold it to hopefully next week...can't wait.
    Sorry to sidebar, back to the shitshow...

Eight? I think it's 7. I was also thinking about the magna slings, they are like black knight when you have the magnet time set really low. You try to save and it slings wherever. Oh and lane change on firepower. Everyone knows that never caught on.

#671 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Eight? I think it's 7.

I stand corrected. 7. The 8th word must have always been me yelling "f@#$" when the ball goes SDTM out of the left kickout.

#672 6 years ago
    Quoted from KHL:

My buddy scored one last year out in the Dalles Oregon for 1500, the stars lined up nicely on that day.

That is awesome. Congrats to your buddy on that. I would be elated to score one for double that cost, hell even triple!

#673 6 years ago

Prices going down? Let's find that Hot Tub Time Machine...

#674 6 years ago

beating-a-dead-horse- (resized).jpgbeating-a-dead-horse- (resized).jpg

#675 6 years ago

Don't like high prices? Stop paying high prices.

#676 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Was this sarcasm? I couldn't tell because it was so_ well_ said_.
    Keep that up sparky, because sarcasm usually works out really well for people in online forums.

How did I get dragged into this?

#677 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Last time I looked it was Pinside FORUM . That's right, I said it ... FORUM.

...and you're either Forum or against 'em, right?

#678 6 years ago

Haven't seen a troll thread this successful in a long time on Pinside. Well done OP. Feigning outrage at personal insults really kept this thread alive!

#679 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Notice: This topic is just my opinion. It isn't a prediction of the future and I am not looking to upset anyone. I am a new pinsider just wanting a friendly discussion on the current pricing of pins. I am sure this discussion has been rehashed over and over but like I said I am new here and just looking to start a friendly discussion. Some seemed to take i personal so I just wanted to put this notice on to avoid any personal attacks.
    I have a very strong feeling that sometime in the next 5-10 years pin prices are going to dramatically drop.
    Now I am sure a lot of you are reading this and thinking.... "dude, I just sold my Monster Bash for 15k.. you're an idiot". But the fact that you just sold it for that much makes me lean more towards yes. Let me explain why I believe this is most certain. Here are the reasons I feel it will happen (and please remember this is just my "opinion" and if you feel the opposite there is no need to name call etc. I know that anyone who jist spent 10k on a pin doesn't want to accept this reality, but don't take it personal. If you do feel different please explain your reasoning. I would love to hear it.

Do you see it continuing to get out of control? Or do you see an economic bubble bursting soon and pin prices collapsing?

Please define "plummet" and "dramatically drop" ... a price drop of 20-25% or more??

I can see market correction of 5-10% if the economy drops off. And what games drop out of favor
    I see more people getting into the hobby and less people selling games from their collection.
    Look at the collector car market, more buyers and a finite supply of cars.
    So we have MMR and the collector cars has: tribute/clone/recreations made from base models and repro parts.

#680 6 years ago

Saying the pinball market will drop in 5-10 years is like saying nothing. All markets fluxuate and the next downturn in pinball with have more to do with the economy than anything else. When the stock market starts to drop, so will pinball prices. I would also add that because of high NIB prices, individuals who pay big bucks for crap games will lose a lot. I think we are seeing this effect with Kiss, Hobbit, Mustang, WWE, GOT. That being said, if Stern continues to bring out strong titles, there is no stopping this train.....Star Wars will be huge if Ritchie pulls off another ACDC.

#681 6 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Please define "plummet" and "dramatically drop" ... a price drop of 20-25% or more??
    I can see market correction of 5-10% if the economy drops off. And what games drop out of favor
    I see more people getting into the hobby and less people selling games from their collection.
    Look at the collector car market, more buyers and a finite supply of cars.
    So we have MMR and the collector cars has: tribute/clone/recreations made from base models and repro parts.

He said that super ultra high end bubble pins could see a 20-40% drop. 'Regular' titles, 10-20% drop.

In a decade or so.

So Medieval madness from $10K to $4-6K. Metallica from $7K to $6,200.

#682 6 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

. All markets fluxuate and the next downturn in pinball with have more to do with the economy than anything else. When the stock market starts to drop, so will pinball prices.

Last time the economy/market tanked, pin prices went up. That's the thing - even though pinball may be an. "Investment" to some people - it's not usually viewed as a traditional financial investment. It's a physical item that is collectible due to the finite amount that exist. No one liquidated their collections for cash during the recession. They were immune to what happened. There was no "pinball bank" that said "Today that $5000 game is now only worth $1000". I've said it before - the only thing that causes prices to "plummet" is a simultaneous mass sell-off. There's almost no scenario where that happens....where 100's of the same titles all of the sudden flood back on the market.

#683 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Last time the economy/market tanked, pin prices went up. That's the thing - even though pinball may be an. "Investment" to some people - it's not usually viewed as a traditional financial investment. It's a physical item that is collectible due to the finite amount that exist. No one liquidated their collections for cash during the recession. They were immune to what happened. There was no "pinball bank" that said "Today that $5000 game is now only worth $1000". I've said it before - the only thing that causes prices to "plummet" is a simultaneous mass sell-off. There's almost no scenario where that happens....where 100's of the same titles all of the sudden flood back on the market.

I think that scenario exists in some kind of feedback loop.
    As the prices keep climbing, some people who put x money in a collection that is now worth let's say 5 times as much start cracking and selling off, market gets flooded and prices drop a certain amount.
    Now it's not like there's a clear threshold at which that happens and everybody sells at the same time, which probably means some correction in the future is likelier than a plummet.
    Again, if this was a pure fad with no intrinsic value the plummet scenario would be very likely, but although rather trendy pinball has a pretty great an staying inherent value and I think it's much better protected from high volatility.

#684 6 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I think that scenario exists in some kind of feedback loop.
    As the prices keep climbing, some people who put x money in a collection that is now worth let's say 5 times as much start cracking and selling off, market gets flooded and prices drop a certain amount.

I think a good majority of existing pinball collectors bought their games pre-bonkers prices. I certainly did. Almost all my games are worth way more what I paid...but, I don't feel like cashing out for the sake of cashing out. I like my games. I'll prob sell a bunch in the future, but due to personal life stuff vs. any relationship to the economy.

#685 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Man I really have to ask myself how long most of the people here have been collecting???????
    I'll try to explain this for all the people that haven't been in the hobby since the big crash of 1999/2000. Yes pinball did crash, prices plummeted once. Back then pinballs were an operator's game. (Yeah there were some collectors but not like it is today) They were not considered collectables to the public. There were very few pins in the wild. There prices were rock bottom and to many considered junk.
    There were only a few places to buy parts and they were expensive.
    Pinball slowly started becoming a collectable thing over the years. Many aftermarket companies started making parts and supplies. The last time the economy tanked it had no effect on prices because it was a growing trend. The prices had no place to go but UP. Since then then the market has changed to home collectors, barcades opening up around the country and every Tom, Dick and Harry owning a game. I don't consider prices as being inflated but have adjusted to the market. However prices are now at an all time high. We've probably hit the ceiling on high dollar games. If the economy tanked again you better believe some of the first things to go will be all these high dollar toys. And no it doesn't take 100's of the same title to cause prices to tank. It just takes a few games that can't sell when you need the money. Not that I think it will happen anytime soon but it has happened before and will happen again.

#686 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Man I really have to ask myself how long most of the people here have been collecting???????
    I'll try to explain this for all the people that haven't been in the hobby since the big crash of 1999/2000. Yes pinball did crash, prices plummeted once. Back then pinballs were an operator's game. (Yeah there were some collectors but not like it is today) They were not considered collectables to the public. There were very few pins in the wild. There prices were rock bottom and to many considered junk.
    There were only a few places to buy parts and they were expensive.

And antique floor standing radios crashed when tv's were released.

Everything crashes BEFORE its collectible.

We're talking about the crash of an item thats already a collectible.

#687 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I think a good majority of existing pinball collectors bought their games pre-bonkers prices. I certainly did. Almost all my games are worth way more what I paid...but, I don't feel like cashing out for the sake of cashing out. I like my games. I'll prob sell a bunch in the future, but due to personal life stuff vs. any relationship to the economy.

You might not, and people who do might not want to "cash out" and sell everything, but as prices go up so does the pressure to sell some machines which may or may not cause some flooding of the market and act as a feedback loop to the price inflation.

#688 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

And antique floor standing radios crashed when tv's were released.
    Everything crashes BEFORE its collectible.
    We're talking about the crash of an item thats already a collectible.

You mean like everything else that WAS collectible and is not now. Or everything else that was a hip fad at onetime and is not now.

#689 6 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

You might not, and people who do might not want to "cash out" and sell everything, but as prices go up so does the pressure to sell some machines which may or may not cause some flooding of the market and act as a feedback loop to the price inflation.

We've already seen prices go up without a mass sell off. To me, that shows the power of pinball! Collectors value the fun and coolness of their games vs. DA CASH.

#690 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

You mean like everything else that WAS collectible and is not now. Or everything else that was a hip fad at onetime and is not now.

Yes.

My hula hoop, garbage pail kid cards and skinny jean collection have dropped terribly in pricing lately.

Wake me up when when pinball prices plummet so I can gobble them up. Until then...White noise.

#691 6 years ago

So are we only talking about premium, LE's, and boutiques?

If I buy a pro for $5200, and 5 to 10 years from now I sell for $3200, I'd say I got pretty good value out of it.

#692 6 years ago

If there is a big correction in demand or prices due to economy (most likely cause over the next 5 years) then...

1. Some of the pinball companies will go out of business which will re-balance supply/demand and pricing may stay relatively stable.

2. I won't be making big luxury purchases (in case MY business goes south) so I won't be able to take advantage of price drops that do occur.

Conclusion: Lose-lose.

There would likely be fewer new pin choices, prices might not actually drop that much, and I would probably decide that I'm preserving my emergency cash.

#693 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Prices went up during the recovery, not during the recession.

If unemployment doubles, people will go into foreclosure, sell assets, etc. -- more pins would on the market at a time of less demand. The biggest hit to prices would probably be to used games.

#694 6 years ago

If an EMP bomb goes off and all the electricity is gone, pinball will be worthless. Except for Magic Girl.

#695 6 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

If an EMP bomb goes off and all the electricity is gone, pinball will be worthless. Except for Magic Girl.

True. Because even without power, Magic Girl would still play the same.

#696 6 years ago

I sure hope not.

Just the beginning

20170430_205820 (resized).jpg20170430_205820 (resized).jpg

20170430_205752 (resized).jpg20170430_205752 (resized).jpg

20170502_171951 (resized).jpg20170502_171951 (resized).jpg

#697 6 years ago

We get it, Radrog. You have a nice collection. You can stop posting the same 3 pictures in multiple topics.

#698 6 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

We get it, Radrog. You have a nice collection. You can stop posting the same 3 pictures in multiple topics.

#699 6 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

He's just learning how to internets.

#700 6 years ago
    Quoted from Radrog:

I sure hope not!

Just the beginning

Replace that AFM with LOTR and you have a perfect collection IMO.

There are 1,066 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-feel-pinball-prices-are-going-to-plummet/page/14?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.