(Topic ID: 262181)

Why I Bailed on Stern Pinball

By freakandgeek

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C0B12A75-1BA3-4639-A5EA-ABED69B03696 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200218_232349 (resized).jpg
    E368C8B2-36E3-4270-9D97-08E75F53FEFB (resized).jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    35bab8fdac00005cd659c0ba808cdf5caf9e9662 (resized).jpg
    3pi5p2 (resized).jpg
    shut up (resized).jpg
    B5CDA040-A501-4A34-874B-6391FC2A6742 (resized).jpeg
    49B72245-63EC-4690-BC73-6BC2A060B72B (resized).png
    86372063_1590152774465869_8947611299383083008_o (resized).jpg
    86450893_10158191611127342_3122085171403161600_n (resized).jpg
    7e081a088ea1f79d2f85b696d5e23c896fdf6ec2.jpeg (resized).jpg
    66BE1EB8-4BD7-4703-9321-97EE63648B63 (resized).png
    3ph4ao (resized).jpg
    There are 266 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from freakandgeek:

But all Pinball’s are fun. So when you can easily buy things that are appreciating that would be the smart move = unless you just like to throw away money.

Help me out....What "things" can I buy, that are "easy appreciation?"

#52 4 years ago

Who cares what a pinball machine is worth? Is it fun to play? You sold AC/DC because it was worth $1000 less a few years later? really? Even if you had a blast playing it?

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

I used to buy a lot of collectables thinking they would be worth money in the future . From collectible toys , animation cells , bmx's , pinballs ect . I've learnt if you want an investment buy land , shares or gold . JJP , CGC make new versions of their old games , so it's not just Stern . Buy a pinball machine for the fun of playing it , not to make money , and if you do make money on it , consider it a bonus .

That is a loser is mentality.

#54 4 years ago

Obviously this is the way to buy them but you can still get burned if you buy just before a vault comes out.

You’ll be fine if you buy literally anything else that’s not Tron or maybe LOTR I guess. GOT and ST vaults had zero to affect second-hand values.

You know where you can really get killed? Those WPC games you love. Happened on my MB. Will happen with my TOM. If Indy remake happens I’m REALLY hosed!

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Who cares what a pinball machine is worth? Is it fun to play? You sold AC/DC because it was worth $1000 less a few years later? really? Even if you had a blast playing it?

No you missed the whole point. I sold it because I lost the fear of not being able to find one easily again or being able to afford it due to the future run up in value. I feel no need to keep the Sterns as they are a dime a dozen.

I was planning on keeping all three of them.

#56 4 years ago

If anyone is buying new pinball machines for profit then you are in the wrong hobby. What's the fun in that? If a new game loses $1k - $1.5k in value and you get a lot of fun out of it what does that matter? This isn't like gambling where you have nothing to show for the money you lose. Hell, could always buy a new $30k car and have it worth $15k in 3-5 years.

Pretty much every new pin, including most LE's, will lose value in the short term due to today's all time high prices and high production build counts. There's a few one offs here and there but it's rare.

I do agree with your point about Stern quality. The lower quality and high prices is not helping resale value. I played a JP Premium on location yesterday and while I did have fun I couldn't help but to think how cheap everything looked with tons of screw heads and flat plastics everywhere. This isn't the case with every modern Stern as some seem to offer a better value then others in terms of features / code support.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

You’ll be fine if you buy literally anything else that’s not Tron or maybe LOTR I guess. GOT and ST vaults I zero to affect second-hand values.
    You know where you can really get killed? Those WPC games you love. Happened on my MB. Will happen with my TOM. If Indy remake happens I’m REALLY hosed!

True it will also happen again when jersey jack puts out some more Pirates games.

#58 4 years ago

We as a community needs to stop buying NIB games sight unseen just to get in early on a title that might actually be good, but good for many has become can I buy it NIB and let it sit, then sell for a profit almost becoming a lottery. If you want them to stop and take a hard look at their quality issues, and develop better quality games, speak with your money, stop giving it to them so eagerly. Stop buying games just to get the next big title that could go up instantly in value. Let them feel the pain a little. Make them appreciate us collectors and hobbyist as we have kept them in business over the years.

#59 4 years ago

If you want to make money in pinball shouldn’t you route your games? Last I knew pinball wasn’t meant to be a “collectible” it was meant to be a business to collect quarters. Some people just choose to put an arcade in their home for convenience

#60 4 years ago

I don’t think I used the term greedy in the article. I mentioned a lack of empathy for the collector mindset. Which I stand by. Also I believe they were plenty profitable before they started releasing vaults.

So you are mad that Stern vaults games like Ironman? Only LE's are limited with a little plaque for the collector mindset. Popular games will be produced longer than less popular games. I see no reason why Stern is not allowed to produce more games of slightly older games when demand for newer games slow. At the end of the day, Stern is not producing games for people like you to make money on the second hand market. They are producing games to make profit to pay bills, salaries, rent, etc.

#61 4 years ago

"Another winner from Stern. Amazing lighting as good as past premiums. Shots are very difficult. The toybox is amazing. Art is probably best thing in past 25 years of pinball at least.

Very creative multiball rules and Stern did a great job on the animations and new LCD display.

Such a fun, challenging, and gorgeous pin." Your Aerosmith Review

Seems you liked the hobby at one point, unfortunately it's just an investment to you now.

#62 4 years ago

I'm glad Bally was protective of the collector mindset when they made over 15k Twilight Zones in the 90's.

#63 4 years ago

I love Stern vault releases! It drives the prices of used copies down, and it also gives me the option to buy a title brand new if I want.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

So you are mad that Stern vaults games like Ironman? Only LE's are limited with a little plaque for the collector mindset. Popular games will be produced longer than less popular games. I see no reason why Stern is not allowed to produce more games of slightly older games when demand for newer games slow. At the end of the day, Stern is not producing games for people like you to make money on the second hand market. They are producing games to make profit to pay bills, salaries, rent, etc.

Outside of a few random examples such as Centaur II or The Addams Family Gold — when a run of machines was done it was done forever.

Stern can do what they want. I disagree with your view that this is the only way for them to do well. I actually think they would do better to not do this. It would make all of their games that you kind of like or kind of like the theme to be much more of a must buy.

Instead in today’s world we all know that just about every game will be rerun as long as possible. So why should we rush to buy anything?

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'm glad Bally was protective of the collector mindset when they made over 15k Twilight Zones in the 90's.

When was the rerun of twilight zone? There never was one. You’re totally missing the point maybe re-read the article?

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from tidalwdave:

"Another winner from Stern. Amazing lighting as good as past premiums. Shots are very difficult. The toybox is amazing. Art is probably best thing in past 25 years of pinball at least.
    Very creative multiball rules and Stern did a great job on the animations and new LCD display.
    Such a fun, challenging, and gorgeous pin." Your Aerosmith Review
    Seems you liked the hobby at one point, unfortunately it's just an investment to you now.

I didn’t say I didn’t like the games. Why do you think I bought them to begin with? When you can buy a replacement any day of the week why should I bother to keep them?

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

My point was that we re-running games five years down the road is something new and kills the collectibility of your machine. This is a relatively new phenomenon...every popular game is going to get rerun.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

If you want to make money in pinball shouldn’t you route your games? Last I knew pinball wasn’t meant to be a “collectible” it was meant to be a business to collect quarters. Some people just choose to put an arcade in their home for convenience

I’ve made money on every single machine I sold pretty much outside of the Sterns.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Help me out....What "things" can I buy, that are "easy appreciation?"

Look for deals for used non-working games and fix them up. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do this.

#70 4 years ago

Vault effect is nothing compared to the MMr, AFMr, MBr and CCr effect. Those were definitely not safe.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Maybe you missed the period where the majority of the market became homeowners?

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I appreciate most of the points in the article, but not once does he mention how they play. For all their faults there’s nothing that plays like a modern Stern, and I mean that in a good way. I like 90’s games as much as anyone, but given the choice I’d likely pick a modern Stern.

I wanted to mention that but I was afraid of being accused of piling on and being a hater. The 90s games play much much better. It’s not even a contest.

#73 4 years ago

So why should we rush to buy anything?

We shouldn't. We should check things out and buy what we like.

every popular game is going to get rerun.

Woo Hoo! When is Tron coming?

I’ve made money on every single machine I sold pretty much outside of the Sterns.

If you include the enjoyment that I have had, so have I. If you count cash only, not so much.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

This is so stupid. How can you compare the inflation in price of a 80’s or 90’s machine to a modern stern? It’s called inflation. Wait 20 years then compare the price of a used walking dead. So dumb.
    It’s like saying I won’t buy a 2020 Chevy corvette because when I drive it off the lot I lose 20%, but give me a 1970’s mustang! Look at how much those have gone up in value. Shut up

I have been in the hobby over 10 years now and agree inflation is part of the equation but definitely not all of it. Collectors in essence drove up prices. When Stern first started making LEs you could pick up a Tron LE for $5500, the pro model went for 4200 NIB. This was roughly 9 years ago. Even if you compound inflation over those 9 years at 2.3% you are only at roughly $6800 for that same LE. Stern had to see what was happening in the pinball community as see an opportunity. Those same Tron LEs were selling for 10k in the resale market a few years later, why should a "collector" get all that profit and not them. All I am saying is if you want them to focus some of their time and development dollars on quality, we need to stop just buying a game hoping for it to be the next Tron LE. A company will not focus on quality until the customer stops buying or warranty claims start cutting into their profits.

#75 4 years ago

You're right. The quality has shown. Seems everything changed since they moved into their new larger facility.
    They allowed themselves to pump out more titles, different titles at once, now vaults for easy increased profits.
    These vaults like IM are easy builds, good to fill in line between new titles, and most importantly make money
    to stay in business.
    They're all toys to be played and enjoyed. Stern doesn't care about the secondary market on who is making money
    or losing money.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I appreciate most of the points in the article, but not once does he mention how they play. For all their faults there’s nothing that plays like a modern Stern, and I mean that in a good way. I like 90’s games as much as anyone, but given the choice I’d likely pick a modern Stern.

A matter of opinion.

I played an iron maiden standing next to an afmr.
    The maiden is a nice game, but there is no way, i´d rather have maiden over afmr.

#77 4 years ago

I wanted to mention that but I was afraid of being accused of piling on and being a hater. The 90s games play much much better. It’s not even a contest.

He's saying the EXACT opposite of you - that he prefers the way Sterns play.

#78 4 years ago

Instead of complaining about things learn how to multi-quote and reply in a Pinside thread.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

If you could point me to where Stern said they would make x amount of Iron Man, Spiderman, Star Wars, etc. which they reneged on by doing a vault or comic art I'd be interested to see that.
    JJP have been more of at 'fault' with this by releasing numerous LE editions of Woz, but you didn't title your thread 'Why I Bailed on JJP Pinball', you instead lumped on Stern - citing the fact that the machines YOU bought (having seen other machines rise in value) had not in fact gone up in value.
    I repeat, it is just sour grapes that you have lost perceived profit, and the less people try passing off second hand machines at NIB or higher prices the better.

You’re right JJP is just as guilty. He may even be worse because he throws around the term “limited addition” but then just puts out a different Limited addition later. It’s total crap.

I just have never owned any of their games so that is why I did not write about them. I had a Wizard of Oz on pre-order prepaid but then when I saw that they were allowing distributors to jump ahead of me in line I bailed on it. That was total BS.

#80 4 years ago

So YOUR greed is screwing over OTHER owners/players then? Or do you have some 'right' to make money on games because you were so bold to buy them brand new?

#81 4 years ago

I didn’t say I didn’t like the games. Why do you think I bought them to begin with? When you can buy a replacement any day of the week why should I bother to keep them?

You can buy most games any day of the week, there are more or just as many WH2O and BSD pins for sale in the Market Place as there are Aerosmith Premiums (there are no pros versions currently). You already lost your perceived value on Aerosmith and your other Stern pins when you sold them, so at that point if you enjoyed them, you should have just kept them.

#82 4 years ago

Well, if noting else OP, you certainly got the attention you seem to be craving with this post.

#83 4 years ago

My point was that we re-running games five years down the road is something new and kills the collectibility of your machine. This is a relatively new phenomenon...every popular game is going to get rerun.

But that is exactly the point everyone, but you, is trying to make - that they have never intended to be collectables.

'kills the collectibility' [sic] is depressing that a) you see it that way, and b) you are hardly buying them to collect if, as you say, you make a profit on every machine you sell , barring Sterns.

#84 4 years ago

Look for deals for used non-working games and fix them up. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do this.

Gee, I never would have thought of that!
    50 years of Pinball collecting, and how did I miss that!

I guess I have to go back into "Business", because its easy to make money restoring and selling Pins!
    (Geez, what do I know about business and pinball customers!!!)

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

So YOUR greed is screwing over OTHER owners/players then? Or do you have some 'right' to make money on games because you were so bold to buy them brand new?

It’s not greed I buy broken machines that are dirty and nasty and make them nice and sell them for a fair price when I am tired of them.

I never argued Stern doesn’t have a right to make a profit. I believe they could do better if they considered the collector mentality more. Usually going for more of a win-win approach is better in business long term. Stern is just after their own win which is a shortsighted view in my opinion

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Gee, I never would have thought of that!
    50 years of Pinball collecting, and how did I miss that!
    I guess I have to go back into "Business", because its easy to make money restoring and selling Pins!
    (Geez, what do I know about business and pinball customers!!!)

Ask dumb questions get dumb answers.

#87 4 years ago

Summary: Doesn't like Stern games because they turned out to be a bad investment for him do to re-releases.

Jurassic Park can go up or down in value, I don't care its just fun to play.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I don’t recall ever pointing a gun to somebody’s had to buy one of my machines...

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from tidalwdave:

You can buy most games any day of the week, there are more or just as many WH2O and BSD pins for sale in the Market Place as there are Aerosmith Premiums (there are no pros versions currently). You already lost your perceived value on Aerosmith and your other Stern pins when you sold them, so at that point if you enjoyed them, you should have just kept them.

Quoted from John_I:

Vault effect is nothing compared to the MMr, AFMr, MBr and CCr effect. Those were definitely not safe.

True

#90 4 years ago

While I’m not happy with Stern quality or practices & don’t buy their games anymore, your premise reeks of entitlement. You feel entitled to buy a Stern game & profit later. You’re not owed that from any new product. Collectibles become collectible organically due to the passage of time. Time will tell if something is appreciated & desirable years later. You can’t manufacture collectibility, despite marketing and hype.

You’re comparing a hobby and a business. What you do: play games, fix up broken games and sell them for more, that’s a hobby. What Stern does is a business. Your interests are not aligned. Too often people who buy new games consider the new pinball companies part of “the hobby”. They’re not.

As for Vaults, they’re fair game. The only games promised to be limited are Limited Editions. Iron Man was never an LE, no one has a right to expect more can’t be made.

#91 4 years ago

I don’t recall ever pointing a gun to somebody’s had to buy one of my machines...

So Stern is pointing a gun at you? Have you tried calling the police?

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from hailrazer:

Instead of complaining about things learn how to multi-quote and reply in a Pinside thread.

Sorry not a skill I care to learn I don’t come here often.

#93 4 years ago

Stern tried to kill my family.

#94 4 years ago

Sorry not a skill I care to learn I don’t come here often.

So you just came here to troll and drive hits to your blog?

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

While I’m not happy with Stern quality or practices & don’t buy their games anymore, your premise reeks of entitlement. You feel entitled to buy a Stern game & profit later. You’re not owed that from any new product. Collectibles become collectible organically due to the passage of time. Time will tell if something is appreciated & desirable years later. You can’t manufacture collectibility, despite marketing and hype.
    You’re comparing a hobby and a business. What you do: play games, fix up broken games and sell them for more, that’s a hobby. What Stern does is a business. Your interests are not aligned. Too often people who buy new games consider the new pinball companies part of “the hobby”. They’re not.

I am not entitled to anything. But their change in production means their games are of little interest to collect. I also firmly believe they could do better if they would stop rerunning machines.

Sure there are those that will always buy these things new. But other people need to be convinced that they have to get something or they are going to miss out. It’s marketing 101.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

So you just came here to troll and drive hits to your blog?

I am in a weird mood and seeing where this takes me. Not enjoying experience very much as this forum is filled with really bad mind-readers & tribalists...so this will probably be my last time. So get my comments now while you can before it’s too late.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

So Stern is pointing a gun at you? Have you tried calling the police?

No instead I sold all of my machines did you not read the article?

#98 4 years ago

Well, I guess I better not buy a new truck as it will decrease in value. The paint will get chipped from rocks and parking lots. They will come out with a new truck next year and mine will go down in value. Cmon!!!! If you're in a hobby to make money, you're stupid. Play what you like, enjoy it, go onto the next. I recently bought a cgc pin, and while I believe it may be built better, that's it!! My 4 sterns are still running strong with little to no maintenance. Be happy, life's too short

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

But that is exactly the point everyone, but you, is trying to make - that they have never intended to be collectables.
    'kills the collectibility' [sic] is depressing that a) you see it that way, and b) you are hardly buying them to collect if, as you say, you make a profit on every machine you sell , barring Sterns.

The public Determines what are collectibles. Not any business. If I sell something and say “it’s a collectible” that doesn’t mean shit. If you don’t think Pinball machines are collectibles — well I don’t know how I can help you there cause you need to retrain your brain.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Well, I guess I better not buy a new truck as it will decrease in value. The paint will get chipped from rocks and parking lots. They will come out with a new truck next year and mine will go down in value. Cmon!!!! If you're in a hobby to make money, you're stupid. Play what you like, enjoy it, go onto the next. I recently bought a cgc pin, and while I believe it may be built better, that's it!! My 4 sterns are still running strong with little to no maintenance. Be happy, life's too short

If you were looking for the absolute most inaccurate analogy, then congratulations maybe you found it.

There are 266 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-bailed-on-stern-pinball/page/2?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.