Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

happy_cat_1600x1200.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

First off I want to preface this with the reminder that you don't have to agree with me on this. I am sharing this so that people are aware of the character of the owner so that they can make their own decision on if they want to support his business.

Please keep politics out of the comments. I bring this up because I feel the pinball public had a right to know how this person chooses to treat other human beings.

The owner of Dorky's Arcade in Tacoma Washington decided that he would harass and belittle protestors yesterday near his arcade. The protest was being put on by the group Black Lives Matter. He instigated the interaction, called multiple people the n word and generally made an ass of himself.

I am linking to a video of him interacting with the protestors so that you can form your own view of his actions.

The NW pinball and arcade show is pulling Dorky's a a sponsor and many of us locally are choosing to no longer support his business. There are plenty of places to play pinball in the pacific NW. If you watch the video and agree that there is no place in pinball for this type of behavior I would ask that you please join other contentious pinball fans and boycott Dorky's Arcade.

Again, if you don't agree, fine. Please continue with your day. I just felt that people should be aware of this.

https://www.facebook.com/josiah.cox.90/posts/10207515462030273

#2 8 years ago

wow, my neck hurts

Who goes out and disrupts a protest with a musical bullhorn? LOL what a whacko

#3 8 years ago

Maybe he was a big supporter of the protest and wanted to draw more attention to it with his annoying horn and racist tirade. Second place for biggest jerk in the video has to be the guy filming vertically, rotated 90 degrees though.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from JosiahCox:

Please keep politics out of the comments

Sort of hard to keep politics out of the discussion when that is point of your thread.

#5 8 years ago

Do I agree with his actions? No. But every one is entitled to their own opinions, no matter how bizarre.

We ALL need to develop thicker skins.

#6 8 years ago

23,000 views, that's one way to lose your business.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Do I agree with his actions? No. But every one is entitled to their own opinions, no matter how bizarre.

So there isn't any opinion an establishment's owner could publicly state that woud cause you to consider a boycott?

#8 8 years ago

So, you took it upon yourself to smear the owner and harm his business? I don't agree with the use of the "n" word, but I don't agree with your behavior either. I'm not sure that simply being offended gives you the right to do that.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

So, you took it upon yourself to smear the owner and ruin his business? I don't agree with the use of the "n" word, but I don't agree with your behavior either. I'm not sure that simply being offended gives you the right to do that.

I'm pretty sure the OP is within his rights to do this, just as Dorky was within his rights to freely express himself at the protest.

#10 8 years ago

So, you took it upon yourself to smear the owner and ruin his business? I don't agree with the use of the "n" word, but I don't agree with your behavior either. I'm not sure that simply being offended gives you the right to do that.

I don't think posting a video of something someone did is "smear".

#11 8 years ago

Dorky should change his name to Dickhead.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Well said. I am in complete agreement.

#13 8 years ago

From the comments on the video...

"I have dealt with Les (Dorky's owner), he bought their Comet from me a few years ago (The irony seeing as he was so eager to buy the game with one of the most racist back glasses in pinball history). He was unpleasant then and he was unpleasant later when..."

The Comet pinball machine backglass is racist? What the hell did I miss here? I'm sure I just never noticed something, but I've only played it a couple of times. Why is it racist?

Oh, and I love the way people film protests like that. The second anything happens and they start crying "I got it on video!".

#14 8 years ago

The black live matter people are a bunch of thugs and the result other thugs in government trying to cause division amongst the people for their own gain. What they did in Washington deserves nothing but contempt and it show what kind of pieces of shit that they really are. All fucking lives matter not just black lives but not getting your way does not give you the right to riot and tear shit up. Maybe if these people would not behave like criminals and thugs they wouldn't get shot by cops. Oh BTW how often do you hear about and how often does All Sharpton and his like ever make a big deal about white people being killed by blacks aor eve blacks being killed by other blacks? Not so much.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

Sort of hard to keep politics out of the discussion when that is point of your thread.

That's not really true. It's more about whether or not you agree with the call for a boycott of this individual than it is whether or not you agree with the protestors. Dorky could be behaving the same way while standing in line at the movies, or hanging around at a car wash and it would still be the same thing.

I guess the only way this thread would become unavoidably political is if you hold the opinion that the protesters and their message is so abhorrent that Dorky simply had no choice but to invade their protest with a bullhorn and start in with the N-word. I'm not sure anybody here is going to be willing to make that argument, lest their arcades invite boycott!

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So there isn't any opinion an establishment's owner could publicly state that woud cause you to consider a boycott?

Why does everyone always need to be sooo offended these days? My God!!

Toughen up for Christ's sake.

(hopefully I don't "offend" anyone with my religious verbage)

#17 8 years ago

Lol this went downhill quickly. In before the lock.

#18 8 years ago

BTW, if you act like the definition of that word don't be surprised or offended if someone refers to you as one.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Toughen up for Christ's sake.
    (hopefully I don't "offend" anyone with my religious verbage)

Hey I was just asking. Since you brought Christ into it, if there were an arcade whose owner not only publicly disavowed Christ, but said extremely offensive things about the Virgin Mary, would you consider boycotting their establishment?

It's a serious question - are you completely against the idea of boycotting an establishment due to the opinions of its owner?

This is coming from someone who is unwilling to boycott my favorite Chinese Restaurant despite the fact that the owner told my family she "hates the Jews!" I'm not even kidding.

#20 8 years ago

The owner is an idiot, the protestors are idiots. How about all lives matter.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

BTW, if you act like the definition of that word don't be surprised or offended if someone refers to you as one.

James, I'm kind of disappointed in you. As someone who holds a lot of outspoken opinions that many would find offensive (see this thread), you are against people exercising their freedom of speech in a lawful manner, and think doing so means they are behaving like a bunch of "thugs" and "n-words?"

You should really consider what you are saying. Are you acting like "one" right now by expressing your opinions?

#22 8 years ago

Feed what you want to grow.

Starve what you want to die.

In my opinion, the "Black Lives Matter" protests only increases racism. I'm pretty sure 99.99999% of people agree that all lives matter - if you want to protest something, protest abortion..."unborn lives matter" would be a more worthy cause IMO.

#23 8 years ago

I'm impressed anytime people from Washington State have an outside opinion.

#24 8 years ago

I don't see supporting someone who openly says they hate you for what you are that you have no control over. What you are and who you are or how you behave are very different things.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey I was just asking. Since you brought Christ into it, if there were an arcade whose owner not only publicly disavowed Christ, but said extremely offensive things about the Virgin Mary, would you consider boycotting their establishment?
    It's a serious question - are you completely against the idea of boycotting an establishment due to the opinions of its owner?
    This is coming from someone who is unwilling to boycott my favorite Chinese Restaurant despite the fact that the owner told my family she "hates the Jews!" I'm not even kidding.

I think boycotting in this instance is a little extreme. I feel like people get so damn offended on things.

If it were me, I'd still go and enjoy the pins, all the while knowing the owner is a complete ding dong.

#26 8 years ago

what an a**hole

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Quoted from Blackbeard:

hopefully I don't "offend" anyone with my religious verbage

I'm offended that you used three o's in the word so

#28 8 years ago

It was a typo!

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

Hardly sir. Treating other human beings with respect, even if you disagree with them, has nothing to do with politics.

Again, you do not have to agree with me on this topic. This is shared to inform people of the character of the owner. What you do with the information is up to you.

So, you took it upon yourself to smear the owner and harm his business? I don't agree with the use of the "n" word, but I don't agree with your behavior either. I'm not sure that simply being offended gives you the right to do that.

I have done nothing other than give you information, tell you how I feel about it and request others to consider not supporting this persons business based on how he treats people.
    Les is the person responsible for this. He decided to confront those people for some unknown reason. He decided to insult people using racist language and then act like it was a joke and that words don't have meaning.

My being offended is valid. I won't act like it's okay to interact with people in that manor and I won't be quiet about it in order to save his business. If that offends you, I am okay with it.

Like I said, you do not have to agree with me but please don't ask me to turn a blind eye towards bullies and bigots.
    That, I will not do.

#30 8 years ago

haha, I was just being a wise ass

#32 8 years ago

It's OP's right to point this out and people can do what they want with the info. For the record, my believe the amount of PC shannanigins that have occurred in just the last couple years is really scary...but I don't see quite as much wiggle room here when you're dropping n*bombs on people.
    EDIT: If he'd just admit he was drunk I might let it go.

#33 8 years ago

Expressing ones opinion is Ok. Interrupting someone else's speech and acting like a out of control Neanderthal is different. Im referring to the rioting all over the country and the constant bullshit being stirred up because they don't get their way. Do you see any other groups of people doing this or at least in the numbers that it has happened lately. Did you have the slightest inkling to burn down the Chinese food restaurant? Probably not, because you are better than that.

#34 8 years ago

Everyone needs to get back to work.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from JosiahCox:

Hardly sir. Treating other human beings with respect, even if you disagree with them, has nothing to do with politics.
    Again, you do not have to agree with me on this topic. This is shared to inform people of the character of the owner. What you do with the information is up to you.

I have done nothing other than give you information, tell you how I feel about it and request others to consider not supporting this persons business based on how he treats people.
    Les is the person responsible for this. He decided to confront those people for some unknown reason. He decided to insult people using racist language and then act like it was a joke and that words don't have meaning.
    My being offended is valid. I won't act like it's okay to interact with people in that manor and I won't be quiet about it in order to save his business. If that offends you, I am okay with it.
    Like I said, you do not have to agree with me but please don't ask me to turn a blind eye towards bullies and bigots.
    That, I will not do.

The responses to this thread have been pretty predictable so far.

a) Dorky is an asshole and I support the boycott
    b) people need to lighten up and not be so offended all the time, I am against the boycott
    c) the black lives matter people and their cause are horrible and they deserve to be called the n-word by an aggressive and possibly drunk lunatic with a bullhorn

Only "c" is a political response, and doesn't really make sense in context of the thread. You can be against the idea of a boycott here for non-political reasons, just like you can be in favor of it for non-political reasons. But if you hold the "C" opinion you are making a real leap in logic and rationalizing some pretty poor behavior to give your own political leanings some comfort/credibility. You can be against the "black lives matter" thing without being pro-Dorky.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's OP's right to point this out and people can do what they want with the info.

I totally agree it's the OPs right to point this out. However, the conversation quickly degenerated into politics and somehow religion. I don't know about anyone else but I deal with politics all day at work. The last thing I want to do is see it injected this forum.

#37 8 years ago

BTW, when he said Washington I thought he was referring to this http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/08/09/black-lives-matter-activists-push-sanders-off-stage-at-seattle-event/ but I still hold with what I said. Im sick of the PC bullshit and people burning and pillaging because they don't get their way.

#38 8 years ago

All lives matter! Get it right, i am sure the owner of the arcade will not miss you.

#39 8 years ago

I'm at a loss for words that some people think this movement is about people "not getting their way."

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

All lives matter! Get it right, i am sure the owner of the arcade will not miss you.

He might miss dozens or hundreds of others, if it came to that. That's the point of a boycott.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It must be pretty tough to find good Chinese in NYC these days.

She may hate the Jews, but at least she's tolerant of your money. Nice of you to support her.

#42 8 years ago

I think he was out there to let people know that #pinballmatters

That said, whenever I see a protest, I never hear the message. Instead, all I can think of is this: Why the hell aren't any of these people at work?

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think he was out there to let people know that #pinballmatters

We need to get him a bullhorn that plays Pinball Wizard.

LTG : )™

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I'm at a loss for words that some people think this movement is about people "not getting their way."

Then tell what you think its about.

#45 8 years ago

I would crack that dude right in his fucking nuts with a elbow to the back of his head on the way down for dropping N BOMBS. GOOD JOB OP fuck that racist POS!

#46 8 years ago

I hate it when people with a holier-- than-thou attitude tries to tell me what I should or should not do

The protest provably interrupted his business,
    Business is hard enough, nobody needs a priest outside their shop,when the issue has nothing to do with that bbusiness

#47 8 years ago

Skimmed the video and I think they were all being foolish and wasting their time. But that doesn't give anyone the right to start using hurtful language...I think that guy clearly has some other issues.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I missed your constant racism and ignorance. Wait, no I didn't, take it back to RGP.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

It must be pretty tough to find good Chinese in NYC these days.
    She may hate the Jews, but at least she's tolerant of your money. Nice of you to support her.

Believe it or not the restaurant is in the DC area.

And it's surprisingly hard to find good Chinese in NYC these days. They are all either disgusting carry outs or highfalutin "fusion" places - the good real Chinese/American joints you know and love from your youth have disappeared into the ether.

#50 8 years ago

Well...

This thread is a poster child for closing a thread by the moderators.

Racists, Political Agendas, and Activism. Go go power lock.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-i-am-boycotting-dorkys-arcade-in-tacoma-wa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.