Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by John_I
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

So, I've been watching the Stanley Cup playoffs quite a bit recently, and noticed that many of the announcers state that the puck is "pinballing around" when bouncing around uncontrolled. I've been a hockey fan for decades, but the phrase seems more frequent than I remember in recent years. It has become part of the vernacular for calling the games. Pretty cool, huh?

Go Yotes!

#2 11 years ago

Who picked NBCS to broadcast mid-week games? I can't get channel at any hotel, bar or restaurant.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Who picked NBCS to broadcast mid-week games? I can't get channel at any hotel, bar or restaurant.

Because of the low ratings that hockey produces. SAd but true. Remember when tyhey were on Outdoor life Network? talk about never seeing it.

#4 11 years ago

"Vs. network", aka the outdoor channel is now called nbs sports. the added bonus to the nbc name is access to the other channels like nbc, and msnbc too when lots of games are on. been much better watching the playoffs this year with the better coverage. watch how espn ignores hockey because they dont cover it, they might tell you who won the cup but thats it...hopefully nbc does well with it and continues to cover lotsa puck!

#5 11 years ago

Go Kings Go!

#6 11 years ago

Definitely, watching NHL playoff.... AND,, I'm the First canadian to post.. eh..... !!!!
    Like the Kings,,,,

but, no bout aboot it .... Phoenix Coyotes ... Well done ... Raffi Torres suspension was bullsh1t , and proof Shanny bl0ws Betman.......

#7 11 years ago

Playoffs have been great! I have been able to catch the games on NBCS at a hotel recently and they have them up on the tv's at the local bowling alley great coverage!

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_APPL:

So, I've been watching the Stanley Cup playoffs quite a bit recently, and noticed that many of the announcers state that the puck is "pinballing around" when bouncing around uncontrolled. I've been a hockey fan for decades, but the phrase seems more frequent than I remember in recent years. It has become part of the vernacular for calling the games. Pretty cool, huh?
    Go Yotes!

On the flip side, while playing pinball last night, my shooting was really pucked up.

#9 11 years ago

Yeah I know all of the games have been and will continue to be broadcasted on NBC and its affiliate channels, NBC Sports, and CNBC. I think a few come on NHL Network but they might just be using an NBC feed.

Most of the prime time weekend games will be on NBC, while the rest seem to come on NBC Sports (VS).

I have also been hearing the "pinballing around" comment during football games.

#10 11 years ago

I actually play ice hockey and there are lots of similar things about playing hockey and pinball.

1) Ball/puck control
    2) Live catch/accepting a pass
    3) You can one-time a ball or a puck
    4) Aiming
    5) Passing off the slingshots/passing off the boards
    6) Trash talking
    7) Fighting lol

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_APPL:

Go Yotes!

Go 'Yotes

#12 11 years ago

I'm glad for phoenix/glendale being in the playoffs. Especially for Dave Tippett. I always liked him when he was with the Stars and Mike Smith for that matter. Not to mention hockey needs to grow more in the south.

#13 11 years ago

I noticed the "pinballing" term also.....sorry to all you guys that are unaware of the Rangers' impending championship.

#14 11 years ago

Go Preds!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I noticed the "pinballing" term also.....sorry to all you guys that are unaware of the Rangers' impending championship.

I believe the Caps will take care of that, haha.

#16 11 years ago

Hockey is the greatest sport ever

Go Sharks!

<next year maybe.. again>

Hoping for a NJ vs LA final with LA ftw.

#17 11 years ago

Actually, would love to see a L.A. vs. Rangers finals, East vs. West.

Hate the Coyotes......send em to Quebec and get it over with

#18 11 years ago

But the Coyotes used to be the Winnepeg Jets and now there is already a Jets team that used to be the Atlanta Thrashers. And the Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche so send them to Hawaii.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

But the Coyotes used to be the Winnepeg Jets and now there is already a Jets team that used to be the Atlanta Thrashers. And the Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche so send them to Hawaii.

I see. Go ahead test my WHA knowledge.

#20 11 years ago

My Blackhawks really stunk. I can't say that I expected much from them though.

#21 11 years ago

They still play hockey? Must be on We network or something?

NBA all the way!

John

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-hockey-rocks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.