(Topic ID: 144051)

Why haven't new machines become easier to support remotely?

By BrianZ

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

burningpins.jpg
    SW-NORTON-ANTIVIRUS-2014-1USER_large.jpg
    2722-00.jpg
    71zC2Pz4TrL._SL1500_.jpg
    PinballRemote.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cappi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

Hell, my Blu-ray players, TV's, and Stereo receivers all connect via Wifi or Wired; and they update firmware from a site. Any of those been hacked? "nope"....

And how do you have any idea that they haven't? It still works therefore it couldn't have been hacked? I've seen LCD picture frames (years ago) come from the factory with viruses preinstalled waiting for that USB cable to plug into your PC. Now manufactures want to put cameras on your TVs (so they can see room light levels and identify those watching for a customized experience) which are also wifi enabled. The problem is these devices are poorly secured even when configured correctly (not that wifi itself is that unsecure). Also people choose very crappy passwords. I've seen mail accounts hacked with 'password' as the password, and after telling the customer what happened, they reset their password back to 'password' so that their smartphone, desktop, tablet, etc does not have to be updated...

If they do add it, I hope they have it send out data only (errors/audits), and no modification of game settings remotely. I guarantee some operator somewhere will have all games set to $.25 and Match set to 99% by a bored kid (free play would be too obvious). Not the end of the world, but why loose revenue over it? Its not a lucrative target I understand. Hell, even thermostats are now wifi enabled and keep track of your daily habits of when your home and away. Not a great thing for someone to find out. Yes they could just stake out your house, but wouldn't you call the cops if you saw a car waiting out front for you to leave for work? Now you won't have to know about it I know I sound like I'm ranting but I believe its a lot worse than most people realize. It either hasn't been discovered yet or simply hasn't been enabled yet... The fact that the firmware on your HDD/SDD/USB stick can be modified and you cannot tell if it has been is a little worrying.

"USB Sticks, they're not just for blowing up Iranian centrifuges anymore.." (how it was delivered to their secured facility)

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-nsas-undetectable-hard-drive-hack-was-first-demonstrated-a-year-ago

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/28855/hacking/usb-attack-code-released.html

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cappi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-havent-new-machines-become-easier-to-support-remotely?tu=cappi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.