(Topic ID: 144051)

Why haven't new machines become easier to support remotely?

By BrianZ

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

burningpins.jpg
    SW-NORTON-ANTIVIRUS-2014-1USER_large.jpg
    2722-00.jpg
    71zC2Pz4TrL._SL1500_.jpg
    PinballRemote.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

Everyone and their dog has WIFI.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

And they'll be out of business in a few years. Can't wait to buy their pins cheap. Most ops I know are going electronic payments and making triple or more

I have to disagree. Our location games are cash only and many bill acceptors don't even work because you can't find parts for them. They are rarely used anyway as most people just drop quarters. They are earning just fine.

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from anthony691:

The problem is, when >60% of the games are going straight into basements, it barely makes sense to put a coin door on them

Quoted from anthony691:

If Stern rolled this sort of thing out, I'd route a couple of NIBs for fun. I'd enjoy getting to pour through the data and checking up on the machines remotely, because I'm a dork like that.

See, you just gave a great example of how manufacturers can expand their customer base by making the hardest part about routing a machine, the maintenance, a lot more manageable.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

My friend uses bill acceptors on the pinball machines on his route. They all work and no trouble getting parts. We use Mars bill acceptors exclusively.

Yeah Mars acceptors are the best.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

It's almost as cheap to get a cellular network breakout as wifi these days and a lot less to configure. Then the machine can just text you if there's a service issue.

Plus you will not be relying on the locaton having WiFi, which most of the time will not be available.

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

As some have mentioned, adding wifi to a pin would open the machine up for all kinds of hacks, even if it were just to do audits.
    It wouldn't be long before a virus was written or malware just to mess with the machines.
    Can you imagine buying Norton Pinball Anti-Virus (Stern Spike edition) (JJP WOZ edition) etc. LOL.
    SW-NORTON-ANTIVIRUS-2014-1USER_large.jpg

Just think back to switch 28 in Jurassic Park...

Quoted from ChadH:

But why does triggering Switch 28 cause the game to freak out? Because the code actually tells the game to go to an illogical place in the program when that switch is activated. So the game basically freaks out until the ball drains.

At least JJP is finally including AppArmor in their machines to lock down something. All you need is a flash drive and some bad instructions to infect a JJP game. Literally.

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My malware would find a frequency to overheat the coils, starting fires everywhere at once.
    **AND LET THE EVIL GAMBLERS AND THEIR INFERNAL MACHINES BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

burningpins.jpgburningpins.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-havent-new-machines-become-easier-to-support-remotely?tu=Crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.