New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 144051)

Why haven't new machines become easier to support remotely?

By BrianZ

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Captain_Kirk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

burningpins.jpg
    SW-NORTON-ANTIVIRUS-2014-1USER_large.jpg
    2722-00.jpg
    71zC2Pz4TrL._SL1500_.jpg
    PinballRemote.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago

I agree benefits outweigh negatives, if people pay attention.

Something to keep you uo at night though, Example of medical devices being used to deliver cyber attacks..
    http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerabilities---threats/hospital-medical-devices-used-as-weapons-in-cyberattacks/d/d-id/1320751

#102 4 years ago

People just love to bitch and complain about everything here these days. Its just sad.

#103 4 years ago

My malware would find a frequency to overheat the coils, starting fires everywhere at once.

**AND LET THE EVIL GAMBLERS AND THEIR INFERNAL MACHINES BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My malware would find a frequency to overheat the coils, starting fires everywhere at once.
    **AND LET THE EVIL GAMBLERS AND THEIR INFERNAL MACHINES BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

burningpins.jpg

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I'm both an op and a software engineer and the threat of hacking literally never would have crossed my mind. On the list of reasons not to make pins wi-fi enabled, I promise you "hacking" should be last.

Bingo. I wont go into my specifics, but I have been in the IT field for a very long time. I have been on the bad side of many attacks. The over reaction to WiFi is funny. The many benefits far exceed the risks. And the risks here are extremely small, and very manageable.

Hell, my Blu-ray players, TV's, and Stereo receivers all connect via Wifi or Wired; and they update firmware from a site. Any of those been hacked? "nope"....A hacker will not waste their time on Pinball. There are much better targets with a much wider audience to mess with.....

Plus if we keep Pinball in the dark ages, we risk loosing it again. We have/are going through a revival. To keep it relevant, we need to appeal to new generations. But, more importantly; we also need to make it cheaper to operate.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

Hell, my Blu-ray players, TV's, and Stereo receivers all connect via Wifi or Wired; and they update firmware from a site. Any of those been hacked? "nope"....

And how do you have any idea that they haven't? It still works therefore it couldn't have been hacked? I've seen LCD picture frames (years ago) come from the factory with viruses preinstalled waiting for that USB cable to plug into your PC. Now manufactures want to put cameras on your TVs (so they can see room light levels and identify those watching for a customized experience) which are also wifi enabled. The problem is these devices are poorly secured even when configured correctly (not that wifi itself is that unsecure). Also people choose very crappy passwords. I've seen mail accounts hacked with 'password' as the password, and after telling the customer what happened, they reset their password back to 'password' so that their smartphone, desktop, tablet, etc does not have to be updated...

If they do add it, I hope they have it send out data only (errors/audits), and no modification of game settings remotely. I guarantee some operator somewhere will have all games set to $.25 and Match set to 99% by a bored kid (free play would be too obvious). Not the end of the world, but why loose revenue over it? Its not a lucrative target I understand. Hell, even thermostats are now wifi enabled and keep track of your daily habits of when your home and away. Not a great thing for someone to find out. Yes they could just stake out your house, but wouldn't you call the cops if you saw a car waiting out front for you to leave for work? Now you won't have to know about it I know I sound like I'm ranting but I believe its a lot worse than most people realize. It either hasn't been discovered yet or simply hasn't been enabled yet... The fact that the firmware on your HDD/SDD/USB stick can be modified and you cannot tell if it has been is a little worrying.

"USB Sticks, they're not just for blowing up Iranian centrifuges anymore.." (how it was delivered to their secured facility)

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-nsas-undetectable-hard-drive-hack-was-first-demonstrated-a-year-ago

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/28855/hacking/usb-attack-code-released.html

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cappi:

site. Any of those been hacked? "nope"....
    And how do you have any idea that they haven't? It still works therefore it couldn't have been hacked?

Ah no.. I know better then that. I have seen things that will blow your mind. Some very complex attacks. Look into the hacks that attacked Target, they went down all the way to the POS terminals.

With some reasonable precautions it can be secured. Regardless of how bad the wifi is secured. We can secure the communication channels. We can also do some common sense things with the code. We can give the operators options to allow remote changes or not. If they choose no, it could be data only....

This traps 99.999% of the smucks. At this point, it ain't worth attacking. When you really think about it, what will they be after; free games? (for now, lets leave remote payment out..). Have you seen the pathetic security on pinball machines. How long would it take to bypass that lock, 5 minutes max?

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

I have seen things that will blow your mind.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cappi:

The fact that the firmware on your HDD/SDD/USB stick can be modified and you cannot tell if it has been is a little worrying.
    "USB Sticks, they're not just for blowing up Iranian centrifuges anymore.." (how it was delivered to their secured facility)

Realize we have had this threat on any medium for a very long time. Portable media just makes it easier to distribute. It was with us when we were using floppy disks. USB drives are notorious for being compromised. At work, we have banned their use. The systems wont even recognize them when they are plugged in. Plus it alerts our security team.....

So we update Stern via USB today. Update your Stern via WIFI or USB, sounds like the threat is the same.....

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Leave it to Vid.... Nice Blade Runner quote.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

Leave it to Vid.... Nice Blade Runner quote.

You can hear Rose McGowan lift those lines on her song new song RM486 (NSFW) :

#112 4 years ago

i seriously don't know how people are online with all this drama about WiFi ha. Seems like we should all be inside the basement with no tech just in case.

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Now, all the moments will be lost....like tears in rain. Time to die.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 5,999.00
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Test item Pre-order!
    Pinside Shop
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.49
    $ 8.95
    Boards
    PinSound
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside