6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrofnoc
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

After Williams stopped making pinball, does anyone know if these designers over the years had ever tried to get a job with Stern or if Stern has ever approached them?

#2 6 years ago

Didn't Richie move on to video games? I thought he was doing Mortal Kombat and what not? Or do I have the wrong guy?

I've wondered why JPop hasn't been picked up by someone as well.

#3 6 years ago

Oursler has to be old by now.... He started making games in the late 70s.

Mark I think did move on to video games with Midway. Wonder where he is now as that got folded into another studio

I do find it surprising, tho, that JPop presumably hasn't been approached by them.

#4 6 years ago

Jpop is teaching at Columbia in Chicago.

Mark Richie works at Play Mechanix, Inc.

Oursler works at Ecolab.

They are all gainfully employed...

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think Jpop likes doing his own thing...?

#6 6 years ago

Oh yeah, JPOP is coming out with some magical machines too. I hear he's been busy 7 days a week.
    http://pinballinventor.org/games.html

Alice in Wonderland should be next to preorder in December from his statement.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Oursler works at Ecolab.

How the hell do you know all this stuff?

#8 6 years ago

They don;t make THAT many games a year to have all those designers

#9 6 years ago

Yeah, bring back George Christian & Claude Fernandez while you are at it! Jeez, time for some new blood lol.

#10 6 years ago

You have to remember years ago when they were hiring everybody, layoffs.

Stern probably doesn't want a repeat of that.

Now if things keep going their way and getting better. Who knows what the future may hold.

LTG : )

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from sk8ball:

Yeah, bring back George Christian & Claude Fernandez while you are at it! Jeez, time for some new blood lol.

I agree, but if you use a no name designer the game is going to have to be a *smashing success* for that person to gain any credibility.

I believe Stern wants to do this, but pinball collectors are hung up on names and previous experience.

Very few are going to sink $8K into a pinball on a designer they've never heard before.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I do find it surprising, tho, that JPop presumably hasn't been approached by them.

He was. Avengers was supposed to be his game. He was brought in by Gomez to do that game, but things didn't work out. I'm sure JPop is pretty happy in retrospect, considering how well the Magic Girl and Retro Atomic Zombie Adventure games are going for him.

#13 6 years ago

I was wondering about the years that have passed and to date since Williams stopped making pinball.
    Does anyone know if these designers over the years had ever tried to get a job with Stern or if Stern has ever approached any of them in the past?

#14 6 years ago

They probably figured that there were safer careers than pinball.

If there is one thing for certain in this world, it is that pinball manufacturers are always one misstep away from going out of business.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from theBRAIN:

Does anyone know if these designers over the years had ever tried to get a job with Stern

Williams knew it was time to get out. I suspect they considered other industries first.

LTG : )

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from doghouse:

He was. Avengers was supposed to be his game. He was brought in by Gomez to do that game, but things didn't work out. I'm sure JPop is pretty happy in retrospect, considering how well the Magic Girl and Retro Atomic Zombie Adventure games are going for him.

Until he gets a game completed, which I do personally believe he will, I think the jury remains out on how things are going for him. I expect he will do well though.

#17 6 years ago

We all know the three legs of pinball sales. I wonder if the other two legs (operators and lawyers/doctors) care about pedigree as much as us collectors.

#18 6 years ago

Stern already has better designers than them. The question is, why hasn't the competition hired one or more of them?

#19 6 years ago

Pinball pays shit as well. Most of these guys can take there experience to a place that will likely succeed far beyond anything that Stern or JJP can offer. Just because we like pinball does not mean its a worth while living.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Stern already has better designers than them. The question is, why hasn't the competition hired one or more of them?

I was about to give you a thumbs up, but I didn't want that to be misinterpreted as me agreeing to your first sentence. I'm not saying if that is or not the case, but it's a very subjective statement.

What I was going to give a thumbs up to is asking about the competition. Same playfield designer AND same software designer on both games 1 and 2?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I was about to give you a thumbs up, but I didn't want that to be misinterpreted as me agreeing to your first sentence. I'm not saying if that is or not the case, but it's a very subjective statement.
    What I was going to give a thumbs up to is asking about the competition. Same playfield designer AND same software designer on both games 1 and 2?

Good point. I should have said "IMO".

I would like to see Stern pick up Nordman though...

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Stern already has better designers than them.

Really? When are they gunna build a game?
    The things JPOP is working on right now puts current Stern's to shame. (IMHO)

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Stern already has better designers than them.

Respectfully have to disagree with my friend, John on that. Glad you added IMO.

JPOP was approached by Stern maybe a year or so ago and he declined.

Kim

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

The things JPOP is working on right now puts current Stern's to shame. (IMHO)

That's a fact, and Stern is doing a great job now.....and yes it remains to be seen but when they actually come out people will get to see the Jpop genius, there will be plenty video and feedback, what we have seen so far is spectacular and I'm thrilled to be part of it...

#25 6 years ago

I think JPop would be stifled by Stern. I think he works best imaginative themes that you don't necessarily expect to be cool -then they are. Stern takes whatever corporate band/movie is hot and bases a game on it. Its not bad, its just not wildly creative. If JPop were to go to a mainstream company, I'd expect it'd be Jersey Jack.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Didn't Richie move on to video games? I thought he was doing Mortal Kombat and what not? Or do I have the wrong guy?

Mike Gottlieb is the one now working for Bally and in the past and doing video games and conversions to the home gaming markets. This after the family, sadly.... shut down Alvin G. Pinball inc. ~SpOoKy

#27 6 years ago

I agree the stuff Jpop is working on looks amazing. In the constraints of the Stern system he would not be allowed to do what he is doing, so you have to look at it from that perspective. I base my judgement on existing games. Ritchie, Nordman and Krynski are my favorite designers of all time.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Respectfully have to disagree with my friend, John on that. Glad you added IMO.
    JPOP was approached by Stern maybe a year or so ago and he declined.
    Kim

This is true, Jpop declined because of design/budget constraints he would be accountable for. He didn't want to be held back so to say.

#29 6 years ago

What? JPop would not have been in a position to work at Stern for the Avengers as he would have already been committed to his 2 games.

#30 6 years ago

I definitely know John Popadiuk isn't interested in Stern's plans at all. He often says he's like a squirrel in a very big tree. He's not interested at all in what he did, he's concerned more about what's not real now. And how many forests got started because a squirrel forgot where he buried those nuts?
    Dunno about the other two.
    Steve

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Oursler works at Ecolab.

Mystery solved.We can all move on now.

#32 6 years ago

Brian Eddy would be another one worthy for Stern.

#33 6 years ago

In another thread, there was some discussion about what a pinball designer gets paid. The consensus was "not as much as you think", outside of SR.

I'm sure many of these guys, who have been around for decades, can get some decent work for decent pay in other industries (and have).

I know jpop is enjoying his current biz, and not having his project deadline tied to a factory assembly line. As Gary Stern has said, they're in the manufacturing biz, so everything revolves around the factory.

7 months later
    #34 5 years ago

Last night I spoke with Barry Oursler about his medical condition. We also did a little interview in which he explains why he never worked at Stern. See www.pinball-magazine.com for the interview.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Last night I spoke with Barry Oursler about his medical condition. We also did a little interview in which he explains why he never worked at Stern. See http://www.pinball-magazine.com for the interview.

Cool, thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,700.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 11.95
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    ScottyMods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 199.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside