(Topic ID: 92468)

Why hasnt any one used OLED screen inserts yet? Or have they?

By Chitownpinball

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140529_131944691.jpg
    optimuskey.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I was in vegas recently and I played a few slots while I was there. I saw they use the led style buttons that change text and images based off of whats happening with the machine at the time. Why hasnt pinball adopted this yet? Seems to me like the playfield would be very clean and it would allow the rules to REALLY be written and changed completely, rather then being set based off what the inserts say. Would definitely add to the upgrade of code and such. Maybe even offer such features as special edition paid code or other such features. Could be a cost issue im sure, but I think this would be really cool.

Im not sure what the technical name is for this type of technology, but I know they make keyboards with this feature now, and Ill post a pic below for reference. I would think all the inserts could be clear, and they would have led boards behind each that could be set to any image, text, etc. All very cool and next-gen in my opinion.

Thoughts?

optimuskey.jpgoptimuskey.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Love the idea.

Multimorphic is probably as close as we will get.

#3 9 years ago

They are OLED (organic light emitting diode) displays. They are fairly expensive ($15 to $30 each for small color ones depending on the specs) and would be hard to embed into a traditional playfield. Maybe if you were doing something with a full overlay rather than a clear coat so they wouldn't need an insert above them.

#4 9 years ago

I wonder what the cost would be to use a clear acrylic playfield over these type of OLED displays embedded in a field of physical art. Use the Multimorphic concept. I think it would be pretty damn cool.

This would be a very cool project to undertake for someone with the technical skills and time.

Marcus

#5 9 years ago

Add Fiber Optic lighting around them too!

I have no pics, but have seen some cool things here in Orlando, from the entertainment side, from tiny chasing lights
    around OLED framing, like the buttons, to flush mounted, and then spray patterns of Fiber Optic shooting from the
    OLED....
    I am ready....

#6 9 years ago

The screen in the crystal ball in WOz is an OLED, though a fairly high-rez one.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

I thought this was just laser etched acrylic... I had know idea it was an OLED.

Keith

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

Very cool. Ive played a standard, and the ball was very cool, but I am waiting until end of summer for our RRWOZ to show up at our office...cant wait to take a look inside!

#9 9 years ago

There's mods that utilize tiny lcd or oled screens. Tron arcade cab mod, TSPP tv mod, Twilight Zone tv mod

#10 9 years ago

I think it is a great idea
    Various displays mounted across the playfield, changing for each differentmode

Never going to happen though

#11 9 years ago

I floated this idea to Steve Ritchie while ST was in development...how cool would it have been to have different enemy ships appear in the inserts...your shots blow them up....or characters like Spock showing up in the inserts to give you advice or represent multipliers. I got the "we cannot accept outside solicitation" response....but hopefully they'll something like that at some point.

#12 9 years ago

We're using these things in a lot of our products at work, here in a mixing console. They update with current information, the items displayed change depending on what mode is selected.

IMG_20140529_131944691.jpgIMG_20140529_131944691.jpg

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from kpull:

I thought this was just laser etched acrylic... I had know idea it was an OLED.
    Keith

No, there's actual video that plays in the crystal ball. The Wizzard Kickout is lazer etched acrylic, maybe that's what you're thinking of. If you haven't played a WOZ you might not notice the vidoe in the crystal ball watching online videos.

Tom

2 weeks later
    #14 9 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

No, there's actual video that plays in the crystal ball. The Wizzard Kickout is lazer etched acrylic, maybe that's what you're thinking of. If you haven't played a WOZ you might not notice the vidoe in the crystal ball watching online videos.
    Tom

Thanks Tom. I was indeed thinking of the wizard kick out. I have played WOZ before and never really thought about how the crystal ball worked. Definitely would be cool to see these utilized in inserts on games in the future.
    Keith

#15 9 years ago

I am working on a playfield in my spare time and have an OLED display under a clear "insert" to indicate what a ramp is for at that point in the game...

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

I am working on a playfield in my spare time and have an OLED display under a clear "insert" to indicate what a ramp is for at that point in the game...

Cool idea!

#17 9 years ago

The times when new technologies were instantly adapted into pinball design are apparently behind us.

I know of at least 1 designer who was planning to use these in an upcoming design. Question is whether that design will ever be revealed.

#18 9 years ago

I thought of putting these in my machine if I ever get to make it, I thought it would be great for the same reasons as the op!

#19 9 years ago

if the cost gets down. they could just make every insert clear windows, with these behind them. No more LED's or lights, just animated pictures telling you what shots do. Would really be helpful when your running multiple stacked modes, and multiballs going on. could easily understand what shots are for what items. This is an idea that would bring pinball to the next level.

#20 9 years ago

The keyboard pictured above was rendered promotional art for a product that's never been sold. It was called the Optimus Maximus. Once they announced the price, everyone rightly told them to go shove it, and it was split into a keyboard and a side-pad. Apparently there are still morons out there willing to pay 1800 bucks for a KEYBOARD...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/181d/?itm=adwords_labelsElectronics_%26_Gadgets_and_adwords_labelsComputer_%26_PC_Gaming_Accessories_and_adwords&rkgid=1143960524&cpg=ogplahe1&source=google_home_electronics&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CK268cqKi78CFZRj7Aodrg8ANQ

Oh, and keep in mind this is WITHOUT OLED. They couldn't even sell it with OLED as designed because it was ridiculously MORE expensive..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-hasnt-any-one-used-led-screen-inserts-yet-or-have-they and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.