(Topic ID: 178945)

Why has cabinet side art replacement not evolved into this?

By Agent_Hero

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160913_001601 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Just thinking of Heighway's side art replacement--why isn't there more of a translite-style replacement for cabinet and backbox art? Think lollipop rails as the top bracket and a very small bracket along the bottom of the cabinet, slide in new art just like replacing the marquee on a video arcade game. It wouldn't have to be metal if cost is the issue, lexan or whatever the translite channel strips are made of might work. If you wanted to get crazy, a bit of accent lighting could possibly be worked into the brackets to illuminate the art. I'm thinking of the always faded cabinets like Johnny Mnemonic, Fish Tales, Indianapolis 500.

If a cabinet art set is about $250, wouldn't it be a bit cheaper if it were printed on translite instead of being a giant decal? Throw in the brackets and the total might exceed normal decal sets but minus all the time of sanding and prepping a cabinet. I'm sure there's an obvious reason why this hasn't been done. There seems to be a premium placed on non-faded versions of the games I mentioned so even if $400 was the cost for a kit, the cost wouldn't outweigh the value added.

#2 7 years ago

I prefer the art that covers the entire cabinet. You could make the marquee larger than what Heighway has, but it's definitely still not the same.

I wish they'd paint the cabinet directly and apply clear over it, but I understand that's apparently cost prohibitive.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I prefer the art that covers the entire cabinet. You could make the marquee larger than what Heighway has, but it's definitely still not the same.
I wish they'd paint the cabinet directly and apply clear over it, but I understand that's apparently cost prohibitive.

I agree - I still like the art to cover the entire side. Heighway's is just too small. If it went almost leg to leg, I'd probably like it.

But as it is today, JJP Radcals are my favorite.

#4 7 years ago

I don't like the Heighway cabinets at all

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I don't like the Heighway cabinets at all

interesting, I absolutely love the heighway style.

Side lit/back lit art looks great, easy to swap out, well protected art, and a fun unique look.

#6 7 years ago

design it and sell it, I'd bet people will buy it!

#7 7 years ago

I think Heighways sideart style is awesome, its too bad that it gets missed when the game is in a lineup and not on the end of the row.

The one thing I dont really like about Full Throttle is how heavy the cab seems to be when you try and nudge it, its just way different than any other machine.

I think if they were like arcade marquees, they might be more fragile and scratch/ding/damage more than traditional sideart, but i dunno. Marquees from back in the day are all yellow and cracked from the marquee lights too, so over time the same thing could happen

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

interesting, I absolutely love the heighway style.
Side lit/back lit art looks great, easy to swap out, well protected art, and a fun unique look.

The thick metal edges for some reason really annoy me, especially around the playfield

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

The thick metal edges for some reason really annoy me, especially around the playfield

I think that is most peoples reaction from afar. For me and most people it seems that once they play the game, the metal edge just melts away. I actually think the black powder on aliens will be even better for this. I like that it frames in the game and also like that the metal full frame make the game way more solid for nudging (hate when a lockdown bar alone takes away some of your nudge). Last thing I have found to be nice it that I never have to worry about the glass slipping/scractching on a coin door when removing and it need less game room space since the glass lifts off.

#10 7 years ago

Why? I'll tell you why. Side art is extraneous, an afterthought. For decades it was just a simple stenciled spray paint affair.

More often than not it's not even really visible!

#11 7 years ago

My thought was to have the border be much less noticeable than a Heighway cabinet--I mentioned their cabinet just for reference. The top frame would be no bigger than lollipop rails and the bottom would be no bigger than an inch and would probably attach either to the back and/or bottom of the cabinet in a sort of wrap-around fashion. Has no one ever seen how arcade game marquees are secured to a cabinet?! My thinking was that if the top and bottom channels were thin enough, there wouldn't be much difference between full faded cabinet art and the new look.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Why? I'll tell you why. Side art is extraneous, an afterthought. For decades it was just a simple stenciled spray paint affair.
More often than not it's not even really visible!

"For decades" has no bearing on the current collector who buys $5 pencil sharpeners to decorate a $6,000 pinball machine. For decades, people accepted that DMD's were one color--they were an afterthought. Currently, if I listed my faded IJ and someone else listed a non-faded IJ would you expect them to be priced the same? If two Indianapolis 500's were listed at $3,000 one faded and one with deep red, fresh out the box colors on the art, do they get the same amount of responses? Come on...

#13 7 years ago

FYI - Decals are definitely cheaper to make than translites (of the same size).

#14 7 years ago

I'll throw in my $.03.. When I'm playing a game, or watching someone else play, I'm *rarely* looking at the cabinet art. I'm paying attention to the display, or the playfield.

Would rather save the money, or put it into something more prominent during ball play.

#15 7 years ago

Only time I see my cabinet side art is when the game is delivered or I sell it.

#16 7 years ago

Also remember that the cabinet has to be able to take a reasonable amount of abuse in an uncontrolled public location. Really easy to kick the cabinet sides and smash any plastic in/on there.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

My thought was to have the border be much less noticeable than a Heighway cabinet--I mentioned their cabinet just for reference. The top frame would be no bigger than lollipop rails and the bottom would be no bigger than an inch and would probably attach either to the back and/or bottom of the cabinet in a sort of wrap-around fashion. Has no one ever seen how arcade game marquees are secured to a cabinet?! My thinking was that if the top and bottom channels were thin enough, there wouldn't be much difference between full faded cabinet art and the new look.

I'm curious how you would keep from losing cabinet strength with such a big hole. Also where would the backbox hinges go and where would the playfield rest?

I suppose you could have a box within a box. The inner would be like a regular cabinet with an outer skin to house your translite but I'd imagine the grumbling about the frame around the playfield glass would get bigger.

#18 7 years ago

I painted my Aladdin's castle pinball.the original white looks awful.most are prob yellow now.machine looks better.and woman don't mind them in the house.as you can see I painted it to match play field and backglass.everyone says def improvement. I don't worry about people and there orig or lowers the value.won't part with mine for any less .

IMG_20160913_001601 (resized).jpgIMG_20160913_001601 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

As you can see flash in background .orig graphics had the old emblem,where the shirt he's wearing has new emblem,so I ordered stickers from redbubble.com and updated him.also when putting down new play field overlay.I put the color of inserts I wanted instead of ugly origs.mine in everyones opin looks better than anything we seen online.I wish more people would do this.it would save more machines and you will like your pin better.trust me.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Also remember that the cabinet has to be able to take a reasonable amount of abuse in an uncontrolled public location. Really easy to kick the cabinet sides and smash any plastic in/on there.

actually the exact opposite. Heighway games have a whole nother layer of 3/4 ply behind the recessed and lit art. The plastic drop in panel is also extremely tough.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I'll throw in my $.03.. When I'm playing a game, or watching someone else play, I'm *rarely* looking at the cabinet art. I'm paying attention to the display, or the playfield.
Would rather save the money, or put it into something more prominent during ball play.

Ever look at a topper during game play? It's not an idea that would be sold to all, just wondering why with all of the expensive modding options, something of this nature hasn't been tried.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Ever look at a topper during game play? It's not an idea that would be sold to all, just wondering why with all of the expensive modding options, something of this nature hasn't been tried.

Nope. Not during game-play. And rarely when watching someone else play either. (It's also why, at the moment, I have no toppers! ) Realisticaly speaking, the toppers of the old days (90's... hey, that' 20 years ago..!) were used to draw someone in from a distance, to get them curious about the game.

Most collectors I know (and operators, for that matter) have games snugged up against each other, with a bare amount of room for a tech to even fit in between them, nevermind looking at the artwork..

You know, except for that *one* game that's on the end of the line, in front of a window. Heh.

IMHO, It's certainly possible - and would be a good thing for games that can be switched out easily. (P3? Multimorphic?) But for a static game, I don't think the cost of the additional materials would make a good decision, when that money could be put to other things. (Or, trimmed from the price of the game..)

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Currently, if I listed my faded IJ and someone else listed a non-faded IJ would you expect them to be priced the same? If two Indianapolis 500's were listed at $3,000 one faded and one with deep red, fresh out the box colors on the art, do they get the same amount of responses? Come on...

We all know I inferred no such thing. Your idea is cool, but impractical, for the reason I stated and others.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-has-cabinet-side-art-replacement-not-evolved-into-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.