• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

yuuup (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_230213 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have known PayPal F&F is not safe unless you really know the person, and even then you could be stuck in a -$1200 debate leaving you're $$ in limbo.

Fact on Friends and family can be charged back if the sender has used funds from PayPal balance or bank transfer, this is handled 100% by PP

If sender used a CC he can issue a complaint with PayPal and they might not side with sender, if the sender cries to his CC company they will decide in his favor and PP will deduct the $$$ from the receiver.

The second case just happened to me and sender though he got scammed by another company with similar name to mine. He's a good dude with mutual friends so I'm not tripping.

I'm sure he will make it right but just a fair warning to others.

IMG_20190210_230213 (resized).jpgIMG_20190210_230213 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Its safe if your the buyer.

#3 5 years ago

Let me see. You are buying and selling on PayPal and using F&F to avoid paying pp fees?

Am I guessing correctly?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Let me see. You are buying and selling on PayPal and using F&F to avoid paying pp fees?
Am I guessing correctly?

It's not just about avoiding the fees. Many have thought using friends and family is safer for the seller as the buyer could not dispute the purchase. The OP is showing us an example of how that is not true.

#5 5 years ago

There is very little that is "safe" these days. Almost every payment method has ways for scammer buyers to screw over the seller. You're taking a leap of faith no matter what. Even wire transfers can be reversed/disputed. There is a way to scam the money back with every single payment method out there except for cash in person. Paypal really is no less safe than wire transfer, cashier check, etc.

#6 5 years ago

... another reason why I never want to ship. Cash on the glass is the only way.

#7 5 years ago

Cash can be counterfeit.

Paypal can be reversed right away via chargeback if paid by credit card.

Checks can bounce weeks later.

Bank/wire transfers can be frozen.

I've had all of these happen over the years. Bank/wire transfers or cashier's check is generally the best in my opinion. Bottom line is that you need to consider the source of the payment and circumstances. Having trust with your buyer/seller, seeing if they have any reputation, it matters.

#8 5 years ago

Hey look, another tinfoil hat thread about payment methods.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cash can be counterfeit.
Paypal can be reversed right away via chargeback if paid by credit card.
Checks can bounce weeks later.
Bank/wire transfers can be frozen.
I've had all of these happen over the years. Bank/wire transfers or cashier's check is generally the best in my opinion. Bottom line is that you need to consider the source of the payment and circumstances. Having trust with your buyer/seller, seeing if they have any reputation, it matters.

I guess getting the buyer to get the cash out there bank in front of you then directly hand you the cash is the safest option?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Crans:

I have known PayPal F&F is not safe unless you really know the person, and even then you could be stuck in a -$1200 debate leaving you're $$ in limbo.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

yuuup (resized).jpgyuuup (resized).jpg
#11 5 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

I guess getting the buyer to get the cash out there bank in front of you then directly hand you the cash is the safest option?

Sure but these days the teller may think the customer is being forced to and call the police or something

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cash can be counterfeit.

Sure it can... but that’s harder and harder these days. Plus, you’re at my house, so your face is already on a security camera who’s images go offsite. The police may not give a shit about some scam cashiers check... but they, and the Secret Service, will be VERY interested in counterfeit cash.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Sure but these days the teller may think the customer is being forced to and call the police or something

Also bring the pinball to the bank?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Thank God I didn't sell this clown my IJPA, JP, or ES

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cash can be counterfeit.

Or just buy a counterfeit bill pen. I had a seller use one of these when I bought a game and thought it was a great idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Marker-Counterfeit-Detector-Upgraded-Chisel/dp/B06XPBYHG1/ref=sr_1_5

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Since this actually happened to him, does that just make this a "hat" thread?

#17 5 years ago

So bring out the pitchforks. I am the guy that paid him on friends and family for a pin. Because we are friends. He needed the cash asap and that was the easiest way to get it into his hands. We live about 120 miles apart. I bought a game on Nov 11th from him. About Jan 10th I noticed a charge on my credit card for 1200.00 to GAME ROOM GU. I assumed it was GAME ROOM GUYS since I order a ton of stuff from them and at the time I was redoing a pin and building a virtual pin. So I contacted GAME ROOM GUYS and sent all the info over to them. They are awesome. They agreed that the purchase was not from them, and they helped initiate a fraud case. 4 weeks later I get a text, and fb message from CRAN wondering with the hell was up. And rightfully so. We know each other, but we don't know each other well enough. He explained that my payment was reported a fraud. My heart sank, because I immediately knew I reported it. Come to find out I payed his email on FF on PP, but the charge on my card was to GAME ROOM GU. I assumed the GU was just shorted for GUYS, come to find out CRAN's business Name is GAME ROOM GURU. I immediately called my CC and had the charge returned. I also offered to drive the cash to him.
Simple Mistake. As a buyer, I would say Paypal did right by me, it was a odd unintentional mistake. And on his end they did not freeze his account or remove money, they informed him. He looked into it and I made it right. No denying this was a royal pain in the ass for him. But I feel safer knowing that my CC and PP had my back incase of a fraud.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

So bring out the pitchforks. I am the guy that paid him on friends and family for a pin. Because we are friends. He needed the cash asap and that was the easiest way to get it into his hands. We live about 120 miles apart. I bought a game on Nov 11th from him. About Jan 10th I noticed a charge on my credit card for 1200.00 to GAME ROOM GU. I assumed it was GAME ROOM GUYS since I order a ton of stuff from them and at the time I was redoing a pin and building a virtual pin. So I contacted GAME ROOM GUYS and sent all the info over to them. They are awesome. They agreed that the purchase was not from them, and they helped initiate a fraud case. 4 weeks later I get a text, and fb message from CRAN wondering with the hell was up. And rightfully so. We know each other, but we don't know each other well enough. He explained that my payment was reported a fraud. My heart sank, because I immediately knew I reported it. Come to find out I payed his email on FF on PP, but the charge on my card was to GAME ROOM GU. I assumed the GU was just shorted for GUYS, come to find out CRAN's business Name is GAME ROOM GURU. I immediately called my CC and had the charge returned. I also offered to drive the cash to him.
Simple Mistake. As a buyer, I would say Paypal did right by me, it was a odd unintentional mistake. And on his end they did not freeze his account or remove money, they informed him. He looked into it and I made it right. No denying this was a royal pain in the ass for him. But I feel safer knowing that my CC and PP had my back incase of a fraud.

No need for pitchforks here, it's just good information of what could happen if someone wanted to scam a seller. Seems like an unfortunate, but honest mistake that was corrected ASAP. My heart would have sank if I was on either end of this transaction. I'm glad it worked out for both of you in the end.

#19 5 years ago

Thanks for telling your story here. We can all gain knowledge from this issue. This is not " A Tin Foil Hat" Thread.

#20 5 years ago

But.... I WANT TO BE ANGRY AT SOMEONE!

(j/k great post. Good on you.)

1 month later
#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Or just buy a counterfeit bill pen. I had a seller use one of these when I bought a game and thought it was a great idea.
amazon.com link »

A couple of weeks ago one of our local banks had a notice on the front page of their website, as well as the front page of the newspaper, warning of counterfeit money going around not able to be detected with the pens. I'd always used one, but I've started looking for other identifying characteristics.

3 years later
#22 1 year ago

And on his end they did not freeze his account or remove money, they informed him. He looked into it and I made it right. No denying this was a royal pain in the ass for him. But I feel safer knowing that my CC and PP had my back incase of a fraud.

A recent incident on another froum reminded me of this issue.

Not to beat a dead horse as this was all fix in the end.

PayPal did pull the money making the account negative. Pete called his cc and they returned the funds to PP in days but PP didn't zero out the negative amount.

PayPal still held my account as negative until they submit the debt to collections. Being stubborn and the principal of the matter I just left the account alone as I have other sources of payments.

One week after the collections I was able to get ahold of someone at the executive resolution department at PayPal to clear my collections. The reason why it took over 180 days is, once a charge back is started the institution can say the charge was valid but still has 180 days from the initial date of claim to pull it back as disputed.

PayPal is a lousy merchant processor as most would have reinstated the amount and risk the 120 day pullback. Had I not stayed up on the matter PayPal would have kept the full amount, sold the debt and left me in collections to pay.

FU PayPal!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-friends-amp-family-pay-pal-is-not-safe?hl=calfdemon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.