Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Mojosan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

yuuup (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_230213 (resized).jpg

#1 5 days ago

I have known PayPal F&F is not safe unless you really know the person, and even then you could be stuck in a -$1200 debate leaving you're $$ in limbo.

Fact on Friends and family can be charged back if the sender has used funds from PayPal balance or bank transfer, this is handled 100% by PP

If sender used a CC he can issue a complaint with PayPal and they might not side with sender, if the sender cries to his CC company they will decide in his favor and PP will deduct the $$$ from the receiver.

The second case just happened to me and sender though he got scammed by another company with similar name to mine. He's a good dude with mutual friends so I'm not tripping.

I'm sure he will make it right but just a fair warning to others.

IMG_20190210_230213 (resized).jpg
#2 5 days ago

Its safe if your the buyer.

#3 5 days ago

Let me see. You are buying and selling on PayPal and using F&F to avoid paying pp fees?

Am I guessing correctly?

#4 5 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Let me see. You are buying and selling on PayPal and using F&F to avoid paying pp fees?
Am I guessing correctly?

It's not just about avoiding the fees. Many have thought using friends and family is safer for the seller as the buyer could not dispute the purchase. The OP is showing us an example of how that is not true.

#5 5 days ago

There is very little that is "safe" these days. Almost every payment method has ways for scammer buyers to screw over the seller. You're taking a leap of faith no matter what. Even wire transfers can be reversed/disputed. There is a way to scam the money back with every single payment method out there except for cash in person. Paypal really is no less safe than wire transfer, cashier check, etc.

#6 5 days ago

... another reason why I never want to ship. Cash on the glass is the only way.

#7 5 days ago

Cash can be counterfeit.

Paypal can be reversed right away via chargeback if paid by credit card.

Checks can bounce weeks later.

Bank/wire transfers can be frozen.

I've had all of these happen over the years. Bank/wire transfers or cashier's check is generally the best in my opinion. Bottom line is that you need to consider the source of the payment and circumstances. Having trust with your buyer/seller, seeing if they have any reputation, it matters.

#8 5 days ago

Hey look, another tinfoil hat thread about payment methods.

#9 5 days ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cash can be counterfeit.
Paypal can be reversed right away via chargeback if paid by credit card.
Checks can bounce weeks later.
Bank/wire transfers can be frozen.
I've had all of these happen over the years. Bank/wire transfers or cashier's check is generally the best in my opinion. Bottom line is that you need to consider the source of the payment and circumstances. Having trust with your buyer/seller, seeing if they have any reputation, it matters.

I guess getting the buyer to get the cash out there bank in front of you then directly hand you the cash is the safest option?

#10 5 days ago
Quoted from Crans:

I have known PayPal F&F is not safe unless you really know the person, and even then you could be stuck in a -$1200 debate leaving you're $$ in limbo.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

yuuup (resized).jpg
#11 5 days ago
Quoted from russdx:

I guess getting the buyer to get the cash out there bank in front of you then directly hand you the cash is the safest option?

Sure but these days the teller may think the customer is being forced to and call the police or something

#12 5 days ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cash can be counterfeit.

Sure it can... but that’s harder and harder these days. Plus, you’re at my house, so your face is already on a security camera who’s images go offsite. The police may not give a shit about some scam cashiers check... but they, and the Secret Service, will be VERY interested in counterfeit cash.

#13 5 days ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Sure but these days the teller may think the customer is being forced to and call the police or something

Also bring the pinball to the bank?

#14 5 days ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Thank God I didn't sell this clown my IJPA, JP, or ES

#15 5 days ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cash can be counterfeit.

Or just buy a counterfeit bill pen. I had a seller use one of these when I bought a game and thought it was a great idea.

amazon.com link »

#16 5 days ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Since this actually happened to him, does that just make this a "hat" thread?

#17 3 days ago

So bring out the pitchforks. I am the guy that paid him on friends and family for a pin. Because we are friends. He needed the cash asap and that was the easiest way to get it into his hands. We live about 120 miles apart. I bought a game on Nov 11th from him. About Jan 10th I noticed a charge on my credit card for 1200.00 to GAME ROOM GU. I assumed it was GAME ROOM GUYS since I order a ton of stuff from them and at the time I was redoing a pin and building a virtual pin. So I contacted GAME ROOM GUYS and sent all the info over to them. They are awesome. They agreed that the purchase was not from them, and they helped initiate a fraud case. 4 weeks later I get a text, and fb message from CRAN wondering with the hell was up. And rightfully so. We know each other, but we don't know each other well enough. He explained that my payment was reported a fraud. My heart sank, because I immediately knew I reported it. Come to find out I payed his email on FF on PP, but the charge on my card was to GAME ROOM GU. I assumed the GU was just shorted for GUYS, come to find out CRAN's business Name is GAME ROOM GURU. I immediately called my CC and had the charge returned. I also offered to drive the cash to him.
Simple Mistake. As a buyer, I would say Paypal did right by me, it was a odd unintentional mistake. And on his end they did not freeze his account or remove money, they informed him. He looked into it and I made it right. No denying this was a royal pain in the ass for him. But I feel safer knowing that my CC and PP had my back incase of a fraud.

#18 3 days ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

So bring out the pitchforks. I am the guy that paid him on friends and family for a pin. Because we are friends. He needed the cash asap and that was the easiest way to get it into his hands. We live about 120 miles apart. I bought a game on Nov 11th from him. About Jan 10th I noticed a charge on my credit card for 1200.00 to GAME ROOM GU. I assumed it was GAME ROOM GUYS since I order a ton of stuff from them and at the time I was redoing a pin and building a virtual pin. So I contacted GAME ROOM GUYS and sent all the info over to them. They are awesome. They agreed that the purchase was not from them, and they helped initiate a fraud case. 4 weeks later I get a text, and fb message from CRAN wondering with the hell was up. And rightfully so. We know each other, but we don't know each other well enough. He explained that my payment was reported a fraud. My heart sank, because I immediately knew I reported it. Come to find out I payed his email on FF on PP, but the charge on my card was to GAME ROOM GU. I assumed the GU was just shorted for GUYS, come to find out CRAN's business Name is GAME ROOM GURU. I immediately called my CC and had the charge returned. I also offered to drive the cash to him.
Simple Mistake. As a buyer, I would say Paypal did right by me, it was a odd unintentional mistake. And on his end they did not freeze his account or remove money, they informed him. He looked into it and I made it right. No denying this was a royal pain in the ass for him. But I feel safer knowing that my CC and PP had my back incase of a fraud.

No need for pitchforks here, it's just good information of what could happen if someone wanted to scam a seller. Seems like an unfortunate, but honest mistake that was corrected ASAP. My heart would have sank if I was on either end of this transaction. I'm glad it worked out for both of you in the end.

#19 3 days ago

Thanks for telling your story here. We can all gain knowledge from this issue. This is not " A Tin Foil Hat" Thread.

#20 3 days ago

But.... I WANT TO BE ANGRY AT SOMEONE!

(j/k great post. Good on you.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside