New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 215502)

Why driving in Traffic should not be like a Pinball bouncing around

By alimerick

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gameover1173
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 2 years ago

Drive I-95 and 495 Washington DC Beltway to and from work daily. I know George Carlin joked about traffic. Seinfeld on Comedians in Cars getting Coffee may be right. People have always been a-holes, the better vehicles just let them express it more. I am nearing retirement and probably just sound like some old guy yelling at the clouds but in the last few years People have gone off the rails. A few examples. People doing over 80 in the right lane or CD lanes not the left lane for faster traffic. Even around curves in the dark and rain where they can not see and other cars are coming on the roads from the exits. How about the ever popular Racing up to cut other people off in between car spaces that are not large enough oh but they sometimes signal from behind that they are going to do this. Got hit from behind in 2014 by someone doing this, spun through 3 lanes of traffic into the fast lane Jersey wall, car totaled and hit the wall on all sides. Now life long neck, shoulder, knee problems and pain. Could write about this forever. Please add and if anyone has any ideas to make it better ?? People pinballing through traffic only to end up at the same light/exit. People driving up the shoulders to pass. I remember the graphic stuff we were shown in drivers ed. Guess that is no longer done.

#2 2 years ago

Seems like everyone is in a rush these days. Twice this year in the span of a couple of months, I was almost hit by a school bus when I was in a crosswalk outside of work. Both times I could have reached out without extending my arms and touched them. These people of all people should know better. Two people that work here have gotten hit while in the same crosswalk. I can not even count how many people have died crossing the same street. The pedestrian has the right of way no matter what. I would much rather stop and take longer to get to my destination, than to drive into someone and possibly take their life. I am never in a rush when I drive. It may seem like it though, because some of these things annoy the hell out of me.

I hate when someone is traveling in the passing lane doing the break neck speed of 57 MPH. If you want to go slow, fine. That is what the right hand lane is for. If you are going slow in the passing lane and someone tries to get around you, do not speed up. We already know that you are an asshole.

Rubbernecking an accident, and bringing traffic to a crawl is stupid. Most people have seen banged up cars by now. Its not all that exciting. These idiots that do that sometimes cause accidents by slamming on their brakes to see the aftermath of someone else's accident. It must be so worth it to cause a 10 car pile up because someone got a smashed up bumper before you, and you just had to see it, or even worse, pull out your damn phone to film it.

Don't even get me started about texting.

If someone at a light is going straight, and you are taking a left at your light, if you cause the person going straight to have to apply their brakes, you went at the wrong time. Its called cutting someone off, and its called you being a dick. Learn the rules of the road.

I actually saw two people on the highway who had just gotten into an accident in the middle lane, stop and get out of their cars to look at the damage and exchange information. I guess this was a better option then lets say, pulling over and getting out of the damn road. I kid you not. In the middle of cars on both sides travelling at highway speeds, these people are on their hands and knees looking at their vehicles. Of course traffic eventually slowed down because of it. I don't have a video to prove it, but I am sure that someone does.

#3 2 years ago

My first job required a couple hour long trips on the beltway every day, so I feel your pain.

Just try not to get caught up in the bullshit and let others play the road rage game.

#4 2 years ago

Trying driving in Florida in a 18 wheeler. Worst combination ever
I drove an 18 wheeler for 17 years and 10 of them in Florida and I tell you what I had to change my career just too dangerous especially on I-4

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Tools
Troxel Repair
$ 29.95
$ 58.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Chrome Candy
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 334.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 29.00
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 14.95
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 17.50
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside